• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 61 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
For the first time ever on GTPlanet, I'd like to host a discussion on this year's Rolex24 at Daytona. I want to try to talk about more endurances this year. Later in the year, I'll want to talk about the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring in addition to the Le Mans endurance on the same weekend. No matter what you think about the Rolex24 as of late, it still remains the only bigtime 24-hour race in America. This is usually the first bigtime sportscar racing event in the world.

(all statistical data courtesy of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_Daytona )

The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona takes place in the spiritual home of NASCAR country (the REAL home is Charlotte). This was a track in which its roots date all the way back to 1962. It used to be a 3-hour race known as the Daytona Continental. This was a key race for teams competiting in the presitigous World Sportscar Championship. The first winner of this event was Dan Gurney in a Lotus 19 powered by a Ford engine. Two years later, the event was 2000km of pure Daytona excitement. This was twice as long as the 1000km races at the Nürburgring (before the current Grand Prix course, I presume), the awesome Spa-Francorchamps circuit, and the Monza 1000km. The 24-hour goodness didn't really kick off until 1966. Unlike the Le Mans endurance, Daytona's race didn't use city streets much like the earlier Daytona 500 races in NASCAR. Also unlike the Le Mans endurance, this race features the longest nights of racing. Ferrari were upset by Ford at Le Mans and Daytona in 1966. They returned to glory in 1967 with a win. Make that a 1-2-3 win. Porsche would win the year after. There was an energy crisis in 1972 that shortened the race to six hours and would be cancelled for 1974. In a cost-cutting measure in 1982, the race was dropped from the World Sportscar Championship as the track became a playground for the IMSA GT cars. The initial plan was to cut costs by shortening the race and force teams from Europe to ship their equipment across the Atlantic Ocean to America. My first Daytona 24 was in 2000 when I seen the awesome Team Oreca team outright against other prototypes from Ferrari and Cadillac among others. The current model of this series is under the wing of the Grand American Road Racing Association (GARRA) founded in the same year I saw my first Daytona 24. The American-based technology and NASCAR closeness led to sort of an all-American or mostly American focus. Then in 2002 came a new package to get people into bigtime sportscar racing without having to spend as much as Audi Sport Team Joest or Dyson Racing- the Daytona Prototypes. The chunky looks of Daytona Prototypes have been specially designed to regulate speed and aerodynamics around race courses. Some say it's the biggest travesty in racing. Some say it's the most disappointing moment. But in 2003, the ailing Daytona Prototypes saw a Porsche 996 GT3-RS win overall. This race is getting a little more attention as more racers who compete in American racing series are taking this challenge to compete in the Rolex24 at Daytona. Such recent names include Jeff Gordon, Sebastien Bourdais, Danica Patrick, Terry LaBonte, (unretired) Rusty Wallace, Dale Earnhardt Sr. (I would have loved to see him race more of these events had he still been alive), Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, and Kurt Busch among many others. The king of Le Mans is Tom Kristensen. The king of Daytona is Hurley Haywood. Who will join the list of winners (read the top link to see all the past winners) of this event for 2007? Find out January 27th and January 28th!

And with that, you are free to take a look at this year's race or set me straight about any facts I goofed up on.

The earlier Daytona races in NASCAR didn't use city streets...just a piece of beachfront road, Ormond Beach herself, and a couple turns cut through the dunes. and they weren't 500s, either, least, I don't think they were. Believe they were just 'The Daytona Beach race" - I don't think the 500 herself came up 'till the tri-oval was built.

this year will be an interesting race with new names Jeff Gordon, Helio Castroneves, Sam Hornish Jr , Katherine Legge, and JJ Lehto as well as returning stars like Karl Wendlinger, Dan Weldon, Paul Tracy, and many others. to make it even better, this race will also be broadcasted on Fox Sports.

As the first race of the year,I can't wait for the race.The DP format has grown on me but I do miss the 3 classes runing at the same time.If the coverage is the same as last year,we should see about 18 hrs of the race.I do miss the full 24hr coverage that they did about 7(?) years ago.I,m looking forward to see who will be running this year and if any NASCAR stars can win this year.:) 👍

As the first race of the year,I can't wait for the race.The DP format has grown on me but I do miss the 3 classes runing at the same time.If the coverage is the same as last year,we should see about 18 hrs of the race.I do miss the full 24hr coverage that they did about 7(?) years ago.I,m looking forward to see who will be running this year and if any NASCAR stars can win this year.:) 👍

A NASCAR Star did it Last year so its possible. and m.piedgros, I think they are gonna do the coverage when speed ends their first few hours of coverage, then hand it back to Speed. I'll check to see, but hopefully the race won't interfere with any other sports games on.

and m.piedgros, I think they are gonna do the coverage when speed ends their first few hours of coverage, then hand it back to Speed. I'll check to see, but hopefully the race won't interfere with any other sports games on.
To the best of my knowledge the race is scheduled for the week between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl in the NFL, so you're pretty much in the clear. ;)👍

I think FOX will show only a half-hour or so until the Speed Channel shows off this stuff. So FOX people will have to deal with NASCAR in terms of racing on Speed.

So let's just talk about Daytona and their road course. Racing on an infield race course from an oval can be pretty challenging. It is because you need the speed on the oval and proper handling for the road course on most traditional "rovals." My biggest challenge with road races on ovals mostly lies with the transition from banking to the road course. As simple as it may sound and look, it's a completely different animal. You're dealing with angled track transitioning to the flat road course. You can combat this in one of two ways: (1) find a certain racing line that will not allow you to spin out in making the transistion from oval to infield road course, or (2) adjust your speed going from oval to road course. Another challenge for such courses is if it's raining. It is dangerous to go at high speeds on oval race tracks because you'll need to get as much traction as possible on an oval. You need the speed and control on an oval to stay fast. Most races are usually cancelled or postponed in rainy conditions on ovals since the cars don't have the traction. Then too, the two classes of racing in Rolex Sportscar Series action shows no room for error. There used to be a lot of different classes until Grand-Am scrapped them all. Maybe the toughest "roval" in America is at California Speedway. Daytona is a wicked animal in its own right. You have to really be able to get good speed out of the corners to take advantage of the high-speed sections. The oval portion is no place to go slow. I think it's tougher in road racing because you have to deal with GT cars going as fast as they can while the Daytona Prototypes are running at their fastest on the high banks. People who are used to NASCAR and are new to sportscar racing will get a first-hand look at what road racing is like on ovals with infield road courses. This is the best way to learn racing discipline and why I love sportscar racing so much.

As a race, I think it's understandable why some race fans don't like the Rolex24 at Daytona as it used to be in the glory days. I'm talking about the glory days when Porsche and Jaguar were out trying to get her done at Daytona. I'm personally not as fond of the Daytona Prototype model as it's been when Grand-Am started out. This still remains a tough race for whatever cars are involved. Hell, it can be Chevy Cobalts up against Trans-Am or American GT-1 cars and still be a tough race to run. While the race isn't until the final weekend of January, let's just talk about the Rolex24 at Daytona itself until we learn of any Practice speeds around the track.

as if it wasn't exciting enough, Juan Montoya is testing tomarrow with Chip Ganassi Racing for the Rolex 24.

Attachments

• Kombatic copy.jpg
    Kombatic copy.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 30
Speed Channel's "The Speed Rip" reported that about 70 cars will take to the track this weekend for testing. The 2006 Nextel Cup champ, Jimmie Johnson, will likely provide his talent on the track against the other... 69 or so entries. I'd sure like to see how this goes.

I can't wait. It's always tough going a while without watching some big time racing.

I read that Tony George is going to test his entrant later today. How about that for more intrigue.

Racing on an infield race course from an oval can be pretty challenging. It is because you need the speed on the oval and proper handling for the road course on most traditional "rovals." My biggest challenge with road races on ovals mostly lies with the transition from banking to the road course. As simple as it may sound and look, it's a completely different animal. You're dealing with angled track transitioning to the flat road course.

The transition from infield track to oval is a great thing to watch too. And it isn't just the speed/acceleration differences in the vehicles or even the handling. I remember a few years back that several cars (I remember a Viper and a Porsche in particular) snapped driveshafts and broke transmission housings because they hit the oval banking incline too hard, coming on from the infield course. Not a simple transition at all.

I do have to say that this is the one 24 Hour race that I actually enjoy watching on television. Most of the entire course is well lit during the night hours, keeping the entire race very viewable.

Don't get me wrong, Le Mans and Nurburgring are awesome events. And I would have to imagine that those are great events to attend. But, the night portions of those races don't translate well at all on TV since most of the course sections are unlit and the cameras get flooded out by the car's headlights.

As a television spectator, the 24 Hours of Daytona really sets off the racing season on the correct note for me. 👍

I do agree that a few years ago the race seemed "better" because there were more variety in the makes and models present at the race. And some, well most of the Daytona Prototypes are butt ugly (I think the Crawford Pontiacs are actually pretty good looking, but they had to grow on me). But despite that, I still look forward to this race every year.

Should be fun to watch again!

SE01

Grist for the mill.....

The #10 Pontiac Riley from Suntrust Racing, driven by Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli, Jeff Gordon, and Jan Magnussen topped the time sheets in Thursday's 1st and 3rd practice sessions, as well as the fastest overall time.

http://www.lmsr.net/jan15.html

Also, interestingly enough, apparently Riley has put-together some sort of aero update for their chassis. Notice the odd little barge-boards on the tail-end of the Gainsco-Stallings Pontiac Riley.
DSC00185.JPG

and then look at the bare tailend of the Suntrust car.
DSC00173.JPG

Interesting, no?

This is shaping up to be a great race.I hope that speed will show some highlite this weekend.I hope to here something about the ALMS soon also.

Grist for the mill.....

The #10 Pontiac Riley from Suntrust Racing, driven by Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli, Jeff Gordon, and Jan Magnussen topped the time sheets in Thursday's 1st and 3rd practice sessions, as well as the fastest overall time.

http://www.lmsr.net/jan15.html

Also, interestingly enough, apparently Riley has put-together some sort of aero update for their chassis. Notice the odd little barge-boards on the tail-end of the Gainsco-Stallings Pontiac Riley.
DSC00185.JPG

and then look at the bare tailend of the Suntrust car.
DSC00173.JPG

Interesting, no?

it is indeed. It started really last year with the chip Ganassi car. if you go to the image gallery on GARRA's official site, this is also on the MSR Lexus Rileys too. the suntrust car did have those before(though they looked slightly different).

Attachments

• R.I.P.jpg
    R.I.P.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 55
This race has been run well over 40 times. What kind of aerodynamics are needed here? I would think that the road course itself is mostly flat. However, you will need speed down the NASCAR oval. So are aerodynamics at Daytona's road course more like "a little of both?" By the way, I just noticed the difference between the two Daytona Prototypes. One has more bodywork at the back including an angled GT spoiler. The other doesn't have a lot of lower rear body work to it.

But what kind of aerodynamics are you looking for with this track for both classes of racing?

I'm looking forward to this year's Rolex 24. I won't be at work to miss it this year. I'll be rooting for the NASCAR guys to do well or even win it.

However, I do miss the days where the Rolex 24 had different classes of cars instead of the DP and single GT class they have.

Those bargeboards should last a hell of a long time on the transition onto NASCAR Turn 1, lol.

John, most teams - ever since the 60's and 70's - have always tried to minimize drag on the big banks. There's a ton of speed to be had there, plenty of clean overtaking room, and you want to put as little strain on the engine at flat-out speed so that lasts all 24hours.

Sounds good, Layla's Keeper. Now how do you win this event? I would imagine that you have to be at pretty good driver fitness to deal with the mostly flat infield as well as the high-banked oval portions. But what do you all think it takes to win at Daytona with these kind of cars?

To win would be like any other endurace race, I guess. You need a reliable car, most the time fast (There have been times where the fast car hasn't won) and you need a good team.

Let me see if I can give you all a FACT OR FICTION on this year's Daytona race. Remember that "FACT" applies to statements that are very likely and that "FICTION" are statements that are too good to be true. So let's do this.

ROLEX 24 HOURS OF DAYTONA 2007 - FACT OR FICTION?

1.) The winning Daytona Prototype team will have a currently-active NASCAR driver either finish or be among the winning team (for example, the team will have Jeff Gordon as one of the winning team's drivers).

2.) The winning Daytona Prototype team is a team that has Pontiac power.

3.) At least one of the Krohn Racing cars will not finish.

4.) The top three DP finishers will not be a sweep of American engine manufacturers (for example, the 1-2-3 order could be Pontiac-Ford-Lexus, which would deny a sweep of American engine providers).

5.) Porsche will win in the GT class.

6.) There will be no more than five cautions (5 caution periods or less).

7.) The Pontiac GXP.R will debut at Daytona for the Rolex Sportscar Series. So in their debut, the GXP.R will not make the GT podium

8.) Suntrust Racing will either finish lapped or DNF.

9.) All of Chip Ganassi's cars will finish regardless of their final classifications.

10.) This year's Rolex24 will finish with 720 completed laps or more.

I may revise this is the future once more details on this year's event. But what do you all think about this lineup of FACT OR FICTION?

Let me see if I can give you all a FACT OR FICTION on this year's Daytona race. Remember that "FACT" applies to statements that are very likely and that "FICTION" are statements that are too good to be true. So let's do this.

1.) The winning Daytona Prototype team will have a currently-active NASCAR driver either finish or be among the winning team (for example, the team will have Jeff Gordon as one of the winning team's drivers).

4.) The top three DP finishers will not be a sweep of American engine manufacturers (for example, the 1-2-3 order could be Pontiac-Ford-Lexus, which would deny a sweep of American engine providers).

7.) The Pontiac GXP.R will debut at Daytona for the Rolex Sportscar Series. So in their debut, the GXP.R will not make the GT podium

9.) All of Chip Ganassi's cars will finish regardless of their final classifications.

I may revise this is the future once more details on this year's event. But what do you all think about this lineup of FACT OR FICTION?

1.Fact. anyone who's seen the race from 04 to 06 knows its possible.

2.Fiction. Lexus has shown strength lately so not likely.

3.Perhaps Fact

4.fact. for some reason, it just won't happen.

5. hmmm, not sure. its becoming just as competitive as the Daytona Prototypes.

6.not sure about this either. it could go any way

7.Fiction. Pontiac Makes strong cars so I doubt it.

8.not sure. one year they're victorious, the next they are out of the race.

9.Fact. they have learned their lesson from last year so this should be no biggie.

10.could go either way

BTW, anyone keeping track of these guys?
http://www.grand-am.com/Southard/

YES! The first Fact or Fiction of '07! I love doing these things!!

1.) Yes, NASCAR drivers will finish the race. I'm not discounting the #10 car but if JPM has a ride, I'd say he'll more likely be the winner of this year's event. So. FACT.

2.) Fiction. Oooh, cheeky...

3.) Fiction. But it is a 24 hour event - anything that can happen, seems to like to happen in these types of races.

4.) Fact. I peg the Porsche teams to be strong enough for podiums, in the 23 livery and 16 livery more specifically, and the 01 Lexus will be the car I will be backing.

5.) Fact.

6.) Fiction. It's the Rolex series, c'mon!

7.) Fiction. In the GT class, I'm cheering for Leighton. I love Porsche's but Leighton is the man! Finally he gets some props with the GM GT program.

8.) Fiction. They will be battling for the win.

9.) Fact.

10.) Fact. Not unlikely.

Tear, my Fact or Fiction entry is complete. Hopefully the Rolex won't go by to fast. I'm going to enjoy every second of it.

5 days, 15 hours, 4 minutes to go!

m.piedgros

Southard Motorsports shop cam shows a picture of a chair with a sign on it reading "We made it." Congrats Southard. Now I suppose we have our first underdog story.

Cheers,

Southard Motorsports shop cam shows a picture of a chair with a sign on it reading "We made it." Congrats Southard. Now I suppose we have our first underdog story.

Cheers,

indeed:tup: I watched that from the first week all the way to when I saw them make the sign, get the chair, and place the sign in it. it really showed me the magic that really happens behind the scenes and what it really takes to get the car to the track.

Well, I'm just happy to hear that there will be some coverage on the Fox Broadcast Network, not just SPEED (as we don't have it here). Back when Speedvision was still around (yes, I realise it is the same thing), I used to watch it nearly every year. However, the time without it has sucked.

I have to admit that I'm pulling for the Pontiac GXP.R, just to see what she can do against the competition. On the driver's side, I see Rusty is racing, and so too is "Mr. Do It All" Boris Said. Sweet. Looks like a good race this year...

The 24 Hours of Daytona - 2007 Entry List

Going off of this list, which is subject to change as always, I've come up with at least ten cars that have the top shot at the win, see if you agree.

#99 Pontiac Riley (Gainsco-Bob Stallings Racing) - Jon Fogarty, Alex Gurney, Jimmy Vasser, Bob Stallings

- regularly one of the fastest DP's of the '06 season
- unchanged chassis/engine combination = reliable combination

#60 Lexus Riley (Michael Shank Racing) - Mark Patterson, Oswaldo Negri Jr, Helio Castroneves, Sam Hornish Jr,

- consistent top finishes in Daytona 24
- potent Lexus/Riley combo

#23 Porsche Crawford (Alex Job Ruby Tuesday Racing) - Patrick Long, Jorg Bergmeister, Romain Dumas

- last year's polesitter and quickest car
- solved halfshaft issues that plagued last year's run

#20 Pontiac Crawford (Howard Motorsports) - Andy Wallace, Butch Leitzinger, Tony Stewart

- perennial favorite
- proven durability and speed of Pontiac Crawford combo

#75 Pontiac Riley (Krohn Racing) - Colin Braun, Max Papis, JJ Lehto
#76 Pontiac Riley (Krohn Racing) - Tracy Krohn, Nic Jonsson, Boris Said

- championship winning Krohn organization
- deep pool of road racing talent
- Max Papis

#01 Lexus Riley (TARGET Chip Ganassi Racing) - Scott Pruett, Salvador Duran, Juan Pablo Montoya
#02 Lexus Riley (TARGET Chip Ganassi Racing) - Scott Dixon, Dan Wheldon, Memo Rojas

- 2006 Winning team
- Ganassi organization's proven reliability

#10 Pontiac Riley (SunTrust Racing) - Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli, Jeff Gordon, Jan Magnussen

- Past champions
- deeply ingrained organization in the DP ranks
- Max "the Axe" Angelelli!

#16 Porsche Crawford (Howard Motorsports/Dyson Racing) - Chris Dyson, Rob Dyson, Guy Smith, Oliver Gavin

- quick Porsche Crawford package
- Dyson's longtime experience with Porsche
- Howard Motorsports's experience with the Crawford chassis

So, anyone else care to wager against this top ten?

Back