The 2007 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 61 comments
Not sure about the order, but if that group of teams were to put up the top ten, I couldn't say I'd be surprised. What about Brumos Racing, will they be using the Riley's again or have they gone back to the old chassis? Where do they sit, not only for the 24, but the season?

m.piedgros

Well, Brumos has gone to Riley chassis for the 2007 season, having shelved the Fabcars for "further development". Honestly, the Porsche Riley combination is unproven, so I expect reliability issues or setup problems for the typically strong Brumos organization.

Actually, though, this does lead to an interesting point. 2008 is the year in which new chassis producers can be introduced into Daytona Prototype competition. In order to keep their slot in the constructor list, the constructor must have at least one car compete in every event in 2007.

According to the entry list, we're already seeing Chase, Picchio, and Multimatic off the list. Sabre was already listed as a "go" for 2008. Does this mean that there are more constructors waiting in the wings? Lola has announced interest (originally as a potential partnership with Chase to circumvent the listing process).....

This thread isn't necessarily about Daytona Prototypes, but what does the future hold for Daytona Prototypes, Layla's Keeper? What do you think?

GARRA Press Release - 2008 Rules

Okay, with this press release, I can tell you two things that the future does hold for certain.

#1 - Factory Daytona Prototypes.

Sounds a little contrary to the spirit of the series, doesn't it? However, this isn't necessarily in regards to the manufacturers building their own DP's. The 2008 rules package is going to allow manufacturers to select a specific chassis to wear specialized "brand identity" bodywork.

For instance, Porsche has long been involved with the Fabcar program. If Porsche so chose, they could offer a new body for the Fabcar that identified it purely as a Porsche Daytona Prototype. The only catch being that only Fabcars powered by Porsche engines could wear Porsche bodywork.

Meaning that Porsche Crawfords or Rileys - while still getting the headlight and tail-light hallmarks - would still be required to wear Crawford or Riley bodywork.

The idea behind this new bodywork rule is to entice more manufacturers into playing on the cheap, as well as to shake up the established competitive order in the chassis (right now, Rileys are the chassis to beat, so hopefully through this rule that would change).

#2 - All New Chassis/Highly Modified Existing Chassis

In 2008, the constructors may also submit all new chassis, or highly modified versions of existing chassis. Sabre Innovations has been approved as a new constructor, so that will be the first new chassis to hit the track, but doubtless Fabcar, Doran, Crawford, and Riley all have new variants to send out.

The rules do state, however, that existing chassis must remain UNCHANGED for competition. This is in keeping with GARRA's principle of unforced obsolescence. Unlike in ACO competition, the rules are not being written to disallow cars from competing at a whim. All Daytona Prototypes will remain class legal until 2012. Whether or not they are competitive is entirely up to the teams and constructors, but they will not be barred from competition.

This is to keep grid sizes high, and costs down.

How do you tackle Daytona? The Speed Report had a small report on what to look forward to. Take a look:

Set a pace; give and take - Bill Lester
Don't let what happens on track affect driving style -
get to the end with the least problems - ???
don't make the fastest laps, but be consistent - Patrick Carpentier
look back while looking forward - Leighton Reese
stay clean - A.J. Allmendinger
lose 10 seconds a lap dealing with slower cars; be very fast very slowly - Wayne Taylor

Daytona Prototypes all use the same ECUs; traction control is off.
Modifying refueling rigs to make quicker refueling is now banned. Wider restrictors added.

I'm actually working on an editorial on what I generally think about today's Rolex24 at Daytona compared to what the Daytona race meant in the past. I'll have that for you when I'm done with it.

The Daytona road course is a highly-competitive race track. You have to be careful going on the oval and on the road course. The course features a number of corners that make the clichéd "danger at every corner." You really have to make sure you don't overshoot the corners. Bob Varsha, my favorite Speed Channel announcer, reported that this race is perhaps best in featuring club-level racers take on world-class racers. It's this sort of down-home feeling of racing which could propel you to great heights. While winning here doesn't make you get invited to Le Mans in June, it's a race of American pride. This is like the NCAA Tournament in basketball- everyone has a chance to win in their respective classes. Only two class winners will take it all.

Now I'll just offer some more of my own comments on the Daytona race itself. I am prepared for any negative comments I might get thrown at me. After all, it's just an editorial.

JOHN'S ROLEX24 AT DAYTONA EDITORIAL

I normally criticize the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona since it's been welcomed by the new Grand-Am. Maybe I was too frail-minded in not giving the latest GARRA proper respect. The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona remains the only big time 24-hour race in America. My primary criticisms of this race since the Daytona Prototypes were that this was a fairly-good American-based racing series that started out with some world-class racing machines. Team Oreca took the 2000 overall win. It was pretty nice how GT cars could beat prototypes on a track like this. The last time a non-prototype won overall was in 2003 when The Racers' Group Porsche won overall honors. The reason why I've criticized this thing so much is that it hasn't had that bit of overall attention that it used to provide. I mean overall attention in terms of building cars to take on this course... to eventually meet the challenge of the Le Mans 24 Hour race. Much like how there's the heliocentric model that describes everything revolving around the Sun, I normally think some of the world's greatest sportscar races revolve around Le Mans. My first thoughts of the Daytona Prototype class was like what most people thought about NASCAR's Car of Tomorrow. These were ugly. I probably thought a six-year old with a box of 64 Crayola crayons could design a better set of cars than these Daytona Prototypes. I think these machines are nothing compared to the glorious Grand Touring Prototypes (GTP) of the previous decade. I'm honestly still not sold on Daytona Prototypes. Not anything to make me be convinced they are some of the greatest race cars anyone can race. There is one thing that I DO respect about them, however- cost. Sportscar racing is an expensive undertaking. I can remember a race in either 2003 or 2004 at California Superspeedway. There was a low car count as these cars continued to be accepted among the general American racing public. Today, a lot of teams are using Daytona Prototypes and using them to success nine times out of ten. It took me a while to actually find certain Daytona Prototypes that actually look pretty good. I actually like some of the Crawford and Doran designs. Maybe I think back with the Multimatic Focus or whatever. A computer design shown this Ford Focus race car that I actually thought would make a lovely Daytona Prototype, like this:

multimaticfocus1nt.gif
(CAD Image)

But when the official Multimatic Focus came to form, we got this:

Daytona-2004-02-01-005.jpg
(Multimatic from 2004)

I guess I get caught up too much with international recognition. So much so that a race like this with cars like these sort of dilute my interest for this race event. I've grown up as a racing fan by respecting Le Mans GT and prototype cars. Nothing provides as great of an experience by just watching one of these cars stand still. I'm still mesmerized by prototypes even today. Maybe I've had yet to actually connect with Daytona Prototypes. Do you realize why I haven't said very much on GT cars racing this event? It's because they are pretty much fine as is. It used to be that the GARRA had classifications ranging from your average GT racing machines to those awesome American GT cars. I could likely credit that it was a good move to get rid of some of the other different classes of racing since there were so many of them to keep up with. But still, I haven't truly connected with these machines. I could never imagine myself driving one of these and saying that the DP experience is better than anything of the ALMS/LMS bloodlines. I think if DP's were more presentable and performed like sought-after race cars, I'd respect them more. But maybe it's just me. I usually say that to be the best, you need to take on opposition from around the world with people and teams who share the same "I'm the best out there" mentality. I always have an international perspective because I feel it's the best way to really credit yourself as something special. You can't really do that staying domestic going up against all-or-mostly domestic opposition even though that's one way of making yourself known. So I haven't connected with the new generation of this race since the Daytona Prototype came along. In the Daytona Prototype generation, here is a look at how grids looked before and after this Daytona Prototype package for the GARRA:

--- Before... ---
(2001) http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-2001-02-04-photo.html
(2002) http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-2002-02-03-photo.html

--- ...the debut year... ---
(2003) http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-2003-02-02-photo.html

--- ...and After ---
(2004) http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-2004-02-01-photo.html
(2005) http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-2005-02-06-photo.html
(2006) http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-2006-01-29-photo.html (WARNING! Horribly incomplete)

No 2000 gallery was on racingsportscars.com. But I can tell you that cars like the Cadillac Northstar LMP, Team Oreca Vipers, and thousands of other cars were racing around Daytona in 2000. But all in all, I just haven't really connected with this race since the Daytona Prototypes came around. This still remains the only bigtime day-to-night-to-day sportscar endurance classic. So even if you don't necessarily like this race or most of the cars that race this event, this is an American formula that has proven to work just fine regardless of what (and I admit that I am one) ALMS nay-sayers dare say. A 24-hour race is still a 24-hour race. While I still wish the race carried as much significance as it has in the past, it still remains a tough challenge for any such racer to tame. It's no doubt one of the races an international racer in America must challenge if he/she wants to prove his/her worth in America. As I have stated earlier, I wanted to cover this race for the general purpose of covering some of the toughest and high-profile races in the world. You can wait for the 12-hour race in another Florida city in March, or you can get to appreciate this tough-as-nails race that generally kicks off the motorsports year in America.

Having said that, good luck to all teams involved in this year's event. Keep faith in your hearts and race this event like it's a one-race championship. Go all out. Kick as much ass as you'd like. Then kick some more.

-end "John's Rolex24 Hours at Daytona Editorial"

As history has it, most of my little editorials on GTPlanet has led to some negative comments against me including "I've lost all respect in you." So please be fair in judging this. I'm expecting negative comments. I'll try to add some extra threads on here to get you into the mood of this race including a look at one of the kings of Daytona (maybe THE king of Daytona). Until then, reply on. Let's get ready for the big race this weekend.

While in my eyes this race will never be Le Mans, this race is pretty significant. I think the sponsors, owners, crews, drivers, and supporters of each of the 71 cars entered might agree with me on this one. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of people will fight fatigue, and headaches both real and figurative to try and finish this event - let alone win it.

Let me try to make an analogy. In my eyes, Le Mans is it. However, if I were to become a professional race car driver, Sebring would be the far more important win for me. Why? Because it was my first true endurance race (aside from the Mosport three hours in '96 or '97). I've attended Sebring with family, I have vivid memories of the excitement of the event, seeing history be made, walking down the paddock knowing that each quarter inch of this facility has an incredible history. Walking though the midway looking at booths with fifty years worth of memories for sale, seeing cars like the Porsche 962, Porsche 935, and Porsche 917 (can you tell I'm a bit of a Porschefile?) on display in past champions style booths. Walking the grid pre-race, standing where the cars I am looking at are about to do battle for 12 grueling hours, the 12 toughest hours in the world.

Before I get off on a tangent, I should some it up by saying, to some, Daytona may well be it. Certainly this week, 71 teams will think of Daytona as it - the it, the only thing that matters. (Except for the people at Team Seattle, who are doing great things for the children.)

m.piedgros

Let me bring back the "FACT OR FICTION?" statements for you to predict what could happen at this year's Rolex 24. Here they are again:

ROLEX 24 HOURS OF DAYTONA 2007 - FACT OR FICTION?

1.) The winning Daytona Prototype team will have a currently-active NASCAR driver either finish or be among the winning team (for example, the team will have Jeff Gordon as one of the winning team's drivers).

2.) The winning Daytona Prototype team is a team that has Pontiac power.

3.) At least one of the Krohn Racing cars will not finish.

4.) The top three DP finishers will not be a sweep of American engine manufacturers (for example, the 1-2-3 order could be Pontiac-Ford-Lexus, which would deny a sweep of American engine providers).

5.) Porsche will win in the GT class.

6.) There will be no more than five cautions (5 caution periods or less).

7.) The Pontiac GXP.R will debut at Daytona for the Rolex Sportscar Series. So in their debut, the GXP.R will not make the GT podium

8.) Suntrust Racing will either finish lapped or DNF.

9.) All of Chip Ganassi's cars will finish regardless of their final classifications.

10.) This year's Rolex24 will finish with 720 completed laps or more.

We are around 24 hours and change left from this year's event. You can comment about anything regarding this race including my Fact or Fiction statements, my editorial comments on this race, or what you think we can expect to see in this year's race. So go ahead and reply whenever you feel like. I may check into this thread during the overnight stages to talk about how the race is going so far (granted Speed Channel won't show anything like Lucas Oil Late Models at Knoxville or something). So feel free to comment at will. This is YOUR thread! Use it, players!

Enjoy the race this weekend.

FOX officially ****s up big time. Instead of running the first hour of the race, we will only get the second half of the first hour on FOX, and they think showing a COLLEGE basketball game is more important.

This has been a great race so far, and this race has possibly the best driver line up in a race I've ever seen. Anyone know if there will be some sort of live stream of this race somewhere on the web once speed cuts their broadcast?

Most likely nowhere.

They really need a website on the web that continuously showed races from around the world live or at least on recorded that isn't a torrent site.

Holy hell, they were just showing a Porsche in the GT class being driven by a 15 year old......I wish I could have raced a porsche in the Rolex 24 when I was 15...

I was gonna say that too. Hell, I'm almost 17 and never driven a racecar, or anything close to one, lol.

Damnit, Speed is cutting its broadcast of the race in 4 minutes and they'll start airing it again in 2 hours, what's the point of that?!

Great, supercross.....Speed knows its viewers when it comes to choosing its programs........

If it was stadium trucks, I would be a lot less angry, because stadium trucks are rad. Supercross sucks though.

So they leave for two hours, come back for two hours and leave again?! This sucks ass. They'll be back at 6am? Thats 8 hours we're missing, plus between 3am and 6am speed only shows infomercials. Which would have been perfect for showing the race.....

This has been a great race so far, and this race has possibly the best driver line up in a race I've ever seen. Anyone know if there will be some sort of live stream of this race somewhere on the web once speed cuts their broadcast?

the closest thing I found was an Live Timing and Scoring board here:
http://gmsleaderboard.vfx.com/rolex/livetiming.asp

right now, it looks like they aren't going anywhere right now.

5:27AM, and the race is on with 7 hours left. According to Speed, this is the last showing, so nothing left but a race to the mornin' and afternoon.

And I've been up since it began. I hated the breaks, but easily passed it with The Naked Mile and Jackass 2, so I'm all set for racing!

Woke up at 8 am to see this race. I was loving the rain! That Suntrust Pontiac has gained quite a bit during the night, I'd love to see them in the lead lap contending for the lead though.
What happened to Helio Castroneves car? Its all torn up, certainly wasn't like that last night.

all right!! the #01 Telmex Target Chip Ganassi Racing Lexus Riley has won! what a debut for Juan Pablo Montoya!

Woke up at 2:25 out here on the wrong coast to continue my marathon watching of the event. One of the best 24 hours in recent memory. Of course, as Grand-Am gains credibility world wide, more drivers like Mazacane (is he doing okay?), Wendlinger, Alzen, Barbosa and the like will come over to run. Not to mention the contingent of American drivers and drivers from American series' that made it out. What bothered me was, what was lost in all of this were the great drivers from Grand-Am. Pruett, Angelelli, Haywood, Leitzinger, Wallace and the like were over shadowed by the one-offers. (And more specifically the NASCAR and Indy Car guys, which I found quite unfair. Not to say the one-offers didn't perform, au contraire!) Great race, though a typical Grand-Am event.

How about all those cautions, and the red for the broken fence? (How about me listening to the "Hot Sauce Show" at 10:00 my time trying desperately to get some commentary!)

Cheers,

It was a great year at Daytona, even if the absolute last car on the planet that I wanted to win took home the watch at the end of the day. I am NOT a Lexus fan, nor am I a fan of Chip Ganassi, and I'm certainly no Montoya fan.

Quite honestly, Max the Axe got robbed out of this year. :guilty:

Anyways, there were some stellar stories all the same. The lone Doran trundling along to nail down 7th was great for me to see, especially since Doran JE4's are built out here in Lebanon, Ohio! A shame that the Crawfords seem to have lost their advantage on the big banks, too, since apparently this year if it wasn't a Riley, it wasn't fast. Congrats to Brumos, too, on ditching the flabby Fabcar and revitalizing that program. If it weren't for that errant Sahlens Porsche, they'd have had one helluva result. 4th overall for the #59 car still isn't anything to sneeze at.

All in all, I can't wait for Mexico, Homestead, and the rest of the sprints for the season. Welcome to 2007, motorsports!

Alright, players. Nice of you to get involved in my first Rolex24 thread on GTPlanet. Thanks you all for joining in on this deal. Here is my commentary deal.

First of all, I'm greatly appreciative to listen to Bob Varsha greatly introduce this race to people who may not be familiar with sportscar racing or the Rolex24. The comparison between stock cars, Indy cars, and Daytona Prototypes is a great comparison. Kind of surprised that Daytona Prototypes can go about 185 mph. Richard Petty gave the command to start the engines. * Holy s:censored:... that Pontiac Pace Car is horribly ugly. Vertically-elongated grills look terrible if done wrong. Pontiac still needs to get their act together in designing cars. I don't care what ANYONE says. * Two of my other favorite announcers helped call this race- Leigh Diffey (the Thunder Fron Down Under) and David Hobbs. Dorsey S. also had the call. * Alright boys and girls... let's get it! * -went to Houston Auto Show, missed most of coverage- * When I seen the rest of the race on Sunday morning, I was actually pulling for the Suntrust crew because Jeff Gordon was part of the team. They finished 3rd in DP and overall. Reason why I had Jeff Gordon as a favorite is because he is the road racing king of NASCAR. I'd REALLY love to see him challenge Le Mans before his career is wrapped up. * But I also love Juan Pablo Montoya. He was part of the winning team. J.P. Montoya really earned my respect winning the 1999 (then) CART title, the 2000 Indy 500, an F1 race winner, and now... the Rolex 24. He's going to somebody's Hall of Fame someday. * It's still great for Milka Duno to continue to get it done. The lovely Venezuelan is part of the 2nd Place team. * How about Bill Lester? He's maybe my only other African-American motorsports hero other than Willy T. Ribbs. It was great to see him compete at will. * What I was disappointed about there wasn't a lot of talk about the GT class in the intro of this race. Almost as if the main feature was on the prototypes. Most of the ALMS coverage is pretty diverse on all of its classes. But the Rolex24 deal... it's almost as if the race seemed more about Daytona Prototypes than the GT class cars. I know the DP's are the better of the series, but don't forget the GT pack. * Speaking of the GT competitors, I will say that I do appreciate the level of GT level competition. Some of the more common sports cars and such competed against the more powerful machinery. I hate Pontiac. However, you have to hand it to Pontiac to build a machine like the GXP.R to compete against and finish second behind a Porsche in GT.

Let me kind of recap on my "FACT OR FICTION?" statements. After every race, I will try to recap on all or some Fact or Fiction statements based on what happened during the race. So here's my recap of the first Rolex24 I've hosted a thread for.

* Pontiac GXP.R will have a terrible debut.
FICTION = I was actually surpised the team did so well in building and making this car competitive. As much as I'm unimpressed about today's road-going Pontiacs (except the Solstice), Pratt and Miller (I'm sure you may have heard of them in another sportscar racing series) made it a star. Here's the thing. I've wanted the GTO.R to win because it looks killer. It was lovingly designed. It was a wicked sick car. I don't know all the specs on the GXP.R, but I'm not seriously impressed. [UPDATE] Okay. Here is a site with specifications on the GXP.R: < http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=3058 > (watch out for annoying ads). It's actually a RWD vehicle with 450hp from an almost six-liter V8. I thought it was the overhyped FWD road car taking on real cars. Instead, it's a pretty powerful sleeper. Pontiac must have been taking lessons from Australian cars in making cars that don't look all that powerful, yet have that get-up-and-go to take on any car out there.

* Porsche will win in GT.
FACT = Pontiac came close, but any wet dreams of Pontiac winning in GT were dashed by the winning Porsche.

* Suntrust won't finish at all or finish lapped.
FACT = They fought hard to get back on the lead lap. It's better to keep fighting hard to get back into contention than to just give up. They finished 3rd on the lead lap. Great job, boys!

* Krohn Racing won't finish.
FICTION = Krohn and company held strong in Florida. I'm sure the garage door wasn't closed with the Krohn Racing DP's.

* American sweep of DP engine makes.
FICTION = Lexus broke up an all-American deal. This even though Lexus is the American luxury arm of Toyota. No one could keep up with Lexus. Here's a funny stat for you... the top three teams are all binary. The #01 DP finished first, followed by the #11 DP in second, and then the #10 DP finishing in 3rd to bring up the rear.

* Winning make is powered by Pontiac.
FICTION = Last I checked, Chip Ganassi doesn't run Pontiacs.

* Five cautions or less by race's end.
FICTION = What do you expect? More drama takes place in Rolex Sportscars than the ALMS. Either roughneck racing or some really unfortunate moments helped shape this deal. I heard about 13 cautions were put out in this race. Almost like a NASCAR race in terms of caution-happy racing. The race was even red-flagged because of the torrential rain that fell during the overnight and morning sessions. But this isn't NASCAR. So the teams tried their best to go through rain and darkness- not easy.

Now for my final thoughts.

JOHN'S FINAL THOUGHTS

I unconditionally love sportscar racing. I know I made my editorial about what this race means now compared to when groups like Jaguar and such were competing on the high banks and flat infield, but this race still is pretty significant in America even if not about international pride. The pro-American crowd would likely say that the Rolex24 is a 24-hour race that doesn't require any invitation or any insanely-capable race cars. Then too, such people would probably be proud to say that this is where Pontiac can proudly overtake any Porsche or BMW. The newer look Daytona Prototypes now seem to take on some cues from road going cars. Remember the CAD image I shown you all in my editorial? I said that more presentable designs would make these designs really impressive to race with. Take me. I was at the Houston Auto Show where all kinds of automobiles from compacts to trucks to exotics. One thing I really do hope for is that the cars actually look more presentable and more like machines people may actually want to race, then I won't be as harsh on Daytona Prototypes.

But what continues to stand out for me as to why I love sportscar racing so much is because of the diversity of cars as well as their drivers' abilities to brave the elements. Sportscar racing truly emphasizes how much of a team sport sportscar racing is. There is NASCAR, but what about all the driver changes and long-distance tests of endurances. Don't give me that garbage about "wine and cheese" or anything that isn't seen in NASCAR. Like everything has to be brought to a NASCAR level to be enjoyable by most people. For example, when that ugly-ass Hummer was "bump drafting" a machine ahead. Anything resembling NASCAR seems to be the best marketing tool for something like this... even a racing series founded by the head cheese of NASCAR. Which is really sad for a series like this. The NASCAR-style action has been apparent with Daytona Prototypes. Whoever can forget that one race at Homestead when two DPs went side-by-side banging each other until one of them evenually spun out? It has been this style of racing that has made more fans tend to appreciate this brand of sportscar racing. Whether you like today's Rolex24 or not, you have to appreciate what lengths these racers and teams will go to win in class and/or overall.

Lexus wins in Daytona Prototypes while Porsche wins in GT. The next race is in Mexico City, Mexico. Last year's race was true to typical American race coverage- overplay the fight while paying no real regard for the actual race. Will we see a repeat performance, more racing than cautions, or what? We shall see for Round 2. The Super Bowl of Rolex Sportscars is over. Now it's on to the rest of the season. There may be some sprint car events that signal the beginning of the new year in motorsports. However, it's not the Daytona 500 that starts big time racing in America- it's the Rolex 24!

Of course, if you love sportscar racing in Florida and liked/hated the Rolex 24... (the other series) will have a race in Central Florida during Spring Break where you're one step closer to glory in the other series if you place well in this 12-hour race. Hope you enjoyed the race! Anyone want to share their thoughts and comments on this year's event?

The red-flag was to repair the armco on the pit exit, a car decided he wanted to test the durability of it, and well, it lost.

It's great to have live racing back on the tube.I loved the race and am looking forward to the next big race,Dayton 500.Yes,it is a NASCAR event but a race is a race.

Back