◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,454 comments
Anyone know where the Gran Turismo server we are testing to is located? I'm guessing it is in Canada.
According to @Famine in this post, the North American server is in Virginia. I suspect it's authentication mostly and not really a game/race server. It might facilitate the initial connections between players but after they've all joined a lobby the room goes to some sort of peer to peer connection. I find this peer to peer thing a little strange however, since most rooms collapse when the host leaves. My warmup rooms being an exception to that.

Not the best but I'll try restarting my modem and do another test by the way has there been any update to this weeks combos? If so i think i missed it
1000264502.jpg
1000264498.jpg

I think the issue is with GT7 is that some are on PS4 and others PS5. Other factors are if a person is using more than one device on the same router. My PS5, Wife's Desktop in 2 different rooms and phones are feeding off of the same Spectrum router. The PS5, computers are all getting direct line of connection through the ethernet ports. This whole tech thing is confusing but i do have a fast online speed to be able to keep playing Sunday night racing. Thank you for any advice on the whole latency and speed thing of the internet.

Prize A: Nissan SILVIA spec-R Aero (S15) '02 @ Deep forest raceway 13:00

Edit : I had the wrong tires while testing ( SH instead of SM ) on SH tires it ran 1:49
On SM I'm calling 1:50 for mid division for a 9 lap race.

Don't leave practice on this one to the last minute. It's an amazing and fun combo, but yeah...

It’s weird because me the wife always race on the same network and speeds seem fine with no issues at all. We are on fibre 1G connection as well.

It’s weird because me the wife always race on the same network and speeds seem fine with no issues at all. We are on fibre 1G connection as well.
You have a very good and fast connection. You only have 1 parameter down 1 level.

Here's my entry into the 'Connection' discussion.
IMG_4968.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpeg

FYI: I seem to be the least tech person here.
The parameter test is about as good as I ever get, never 100% on all. I think my download/upload speeds are acceptable. However, my Ping seems high. When I do a speed test on devices on wifi it is much better: 5 ms on iPhone, 25ms on MacBook. My PS5 is hard wired to the modem. Would the cable be an issue? It is:

Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 15 ft, Heavy Duty High Speed RJ45 Patch Cord, Cat8 LAN Gold Plated 40Gbps 2000Mhz Network, Indoor Outdoor & Weatherproof S/FTP UV Resistant for Router/Modem/Gaming/Switch/Xbox/PS4

On a different note: I am experiencing tank slapper wheel movement on my Fanatek CSL Elite. Before the update it only occurred in the SRT Tomahawk at Route-X. On Sunday it happened with at least 2 cars. I happens at the top end of speed and only occurs when going in a straight line down a long straight. Has anyone else experienced this? If so were you able to fix it? How?

With what Joe has shown me in a private chat and what he posted here, parameter 1 is your ping/latency and you have to have less than 25ms to get that parameter maxed. If the chatgpt results correlate accurately, parameter 2 is "jitter", which is usually what's happening when cars are "skipping" a bit. Parameter 3 is packet loss = cars teleporting, parameter 4 is your upload rate and 5 is download. Don't have a clue what the thresholds are for Ps 2-5.
After looking at the connection test by @yuhboiari who's download speed is decent, parameters 2-5 might be in a different order. Thinking download and upload are 3 and 4.
Here's my entry into the 'Connection' discussion.

FYI: I seem to be the least tech person here.
The parameter test is about as good as I ever get, never 100% on all. I think my download/upload speeds are acceptable. However, my Ping seems high. When I do a speed test on devices on wifi it is much better: 5 ms on iPhone, 25ms on MacBook. My PS5 is hard wired to the modem. Would the cable be an issue? It is:

Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 15 ft, Heavy Duty High Speed RJ45 Patch Cord, Cat8 LAN Gold Plated 40Gbps 2000Mhz Network, Indoor Outdoor & Weatherproof S/FTP UV Resistant for Router/Modem/Gaming/Switch/Xbox/PS4

Speed tests can be misleading as it will usually default to the closest server to you. Try testing to a server in Virginia to mimic the GT7 test. It is always possible the cable could be an issue, it you have another, give it a try.
On a different note: I am experiencing tank slapper wheel movement on my Fanatek CSL Elite. Before the update it only occurred in the SRT Tomahawk at Route-X. On Sunday it happened with at least 2 cars. I happens at the top end of speed and only occurs when going in a straight line down a long straight. Has anyone else experienced this? If so were you able to fix it? How?
I am still working on the new feedback settings but try turning down the 'spring' [spr] setting. Spring most notably helps the wheel return to center, such as in menus. But it seems exaggerated now.

What is your NDP setting?

Last edited:
I have read the first post and would like to join
Seen your league on gtolanet
@MileHiMoto

Here's your official SNAIL Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join SNAIL Racing League:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the SNAIL OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You start a conversation and add zer05ive, JLBowler, nmcp1, SAMHAIN85, llNovall & Akzl298
as participants.

The conversation title should be "Request To Join".

2. SNAIL Administrators will respond with specific instructions on what you need to accomplish to join the SNAIL [Spec] Racing.

3. Place the following links (URLs) in the favorites (or bookmarks) in your web browser for quick reference. Please make every effort to read and understand the following links. Over the years a great deal of time and effort has gone into creating this league and we would like nothing more than to have you but we ask that you take the time and effort to do your homework. 99.9% of any question you may have about SNAIL can be found in the posts below.
4. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

Again, the original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to SNAIL

Did I miss prize B or it haven’t been picked yet ? Its friday…
I would like to pass the freeze

Prize C Freeze Car @Dragonwhisky

Track: willow springs big willow 17:00 hours racing medium my time was 1.15:705 @Dragonwhisky

Prize A: Nissan SILVIA spec-R Aero (S15) '02 @ Deep forest raceway 13:00

Edit : I had the wrong tires while testing ( SH instead of SM ) on SH tires it ran 1:49

You have a very good and fast connection. You only have 1 parameter down 1 level.
Just wondering what, if anything, I could do to get the ping down to the 20’s? As far as equipment we’re running general cat 6 cables and no special HDMI or anything and no extra gaming modem or anything.
Also when I did the tests, I didn’t realize the TV was also streaming in the living room, how much would that affect my tests?

Just wondering what, if anything, I could do to get the ping down to the 20’s? As far as equipment we’re running general cat 6 cables and no special HDMI or anything and no extra gaming modem or anything.
Also when I did the tests, I didn’t realize the TV was also streaming in the living room, how much would that affect my tests?

Not 100% Sure what Parameter 1 is , but that seems the most common Parameter to be down a level. I had the same rating for the longest time. Recently changed my DNS settings. Not sure if that was what helped.
I would think removing devices from your network should help. Perhaps @Dragonwhisky can confirm?

Changed my dns to Cloudflare on both the router and PS5. There are YouTube videos showing how it's done. It's easy

Last edited:
Ping is not going to be related to bandwidth. You can have low ping with lots of devices and/or poor bandwidth. You may have packet loss at that point, which will show as teleporting.

As well, given that the online lobbies aren't using a GT7 server, I'm not sure the ping to Virginia is going to be terribly relevant. Your ping to the host is what matters, and that will depend upon both connections as well as geography. That test in sport mode is relevant to sport mode, as they are using the local server.

As an example, it takes something like .016 seconds for light to travel 3000miles. Even if there were no hardware or software limitations, thats a ping of 32ms (ping is round trip time.) So, if you are 3000 miles away from a server, you aren't going to get a ping of 20ms. The reality is the ping will be much higher than 32, because of routing, switching, etc.

The fastest ping I can find from Saskatoon to DC is 43.34ms. So yeah, I wouldn't sweat it lol.
Yes, and considering we’re running 2 PS5’s on gt7 at the same time, I think we can live with the 47 ping.
I was always worried that we might have to get 2 separate networks when the wife started racing but thankfully not. Way too pricey to be paying for 2 networks

Back