◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,457 comments
Generally, more devices won't cause an increase in ping. As bandwidth limitations are approached, they can cause packet loss, but GT7 is really not bandwidth intensive. If I had to guess, you could probably run GT7 on as low as 10down/2up without a whole lot of problems, assuming no other devices on the network. Having 300mbps gives you a lot of overhead there. Iirc a 4k stream is only like 25-30mbps. I still wouldn't recommend having ten other devices running at the time, as the network will prioritise different devices. However, I'm not sure having a higher internet plan, for example; is going to make a lot of difference on GT7 once you are at 100mbps or more.

Probably more important is having current and updated/reset hardware(modem, router, get rid of those cat 4 cables lol,) being hardwired, PS5, and geographical relation to host.

Wow I’ve learned more about networks, ping and bandwidth in the last few days than I’ve ever learned. I think I’ll leave things alone on our front, since we aren’t having issues and seem to have a very good connection.
Thanks everyone.
:)ever heard of the OSI for networks? There is a lot going on in a 47ms ping.

OSI Model Explained: The OSI 7 Layers​

OSI 7 layers

Last edited:
Remember what I said about my severe lack of tech knowledge.

Try testing to a server in Virginia to mimic the GT7 test.
I'm assuming this would be done on my MacBook. And how the HE_double hockey sticks do I do that?
I am still working on the new feedback settings but try turning down the 'spring' [spr] setting.
My CSL Elite Racing wheel doesn't have a 'spr' option under the wrench button
What is your NDP setting?
And I ask "What is an NDP setting?" Here in Canada it's a political party. lol

If it's not plug and play, I don't play.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this would be done on my MacBook. And how the HE_double hockey sticks do I do that?
Don't know the particulars as I don't have a MacBook, but however you do your speed test, there should be a way to switch servers. Just have to look for it.
My CSL Elite Racing wheel doesn't have a 'spr' option under the wrench button
Are you sure? The order of parameters is: SEN, FF, SHO, ABS, DRI, FOR, SPR, DPR, BRF, FEI
The other thing you can try is adjusting DRI to -5 to mimic how the older CS wheelbases dealt with the problem.
Also, try this little test: Set your FF (force feedback) and FEI (force effect intensity) to 100. Leave SEN on Auto and set every thing else to OFF (or zero). Give that a try and see if you can find an in game setting that gives any feedback at all. Beginning to believe they are not sending info to the FF parameter.

Remember what I said about my severe lack of tech knowledge.

In a web browser type https://www.speedtest.net in the address bar.

1723263820492.png

1723263942766.png

Pick one. I generally use Comcast servers, since they own quite a number of backbone wiring and equipment.

1723264009674.png

click the big go button.

Get results.
1723264253177.png

If you enable cookies for speedtest.net you can get a history of tests.
1723264616039.png

Attachments

• 1723263342755.png
    1723263342755.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1723263581249.png
    1723263581249.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1723263453405.png
    1723263453405.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
In a web browser type https://www.speedtest.net in the address bar.

View attachment 1379799

View attachment 1379800
Pick one. I generally use Comcast servers, since they own quite a number of backbone wiring and equipment.

View attachment 1379801
click the big go button.

Get results.
View attachment 1379802

If you enable cookies for speedtest.net you can get a history of tests.
View attachment 1379804
As @JamCar0ne said "You have to look for it." And that is one of my weaknesses. Your pointers really helped Dragon. Thanks from my aging heart.

Don't know the particulars as I don't have a MacBook, but however you do your speed test, there should be a way to switch servers. Just have to look for it.

Are you sure? The order of parameters is: SEN, FF, SHO, ABS, DRI, FOR, SPR, DPR, BRF, FEI
The other thing you can try is adjusting DRI to -5 to mimic how the older CS wheelbases dealt with the problem.
Also, try this little test: Set your FF (force feedback) and FEI (force effect intensity) to 100. Leave SEN on Auto and set every thing else to OFF (or zero). Give that a try and see if you can find an in game setting that gives any feedback at all. Beginning to believe they are not sending info to the FF parameter.
Yeah, my CSL Elite is aging and only has SEN, FF, DRI, and BRF. I will try your other suggestions.

Yeah, my CSL Elite is aging and only has SEN, FF, DRI, and BRF. I will try your other suggestions.
Your CSL Elite shouldn't be any older than mine. What revision firmware are you using? That is something I don't do.. the firmware update game. Still using version 293. :lol: It is from the era when the brake parameter numbers were backwards.

Sunday Night Combos.png
Gran Turismo 7
Sunday, August 11th, 2024 Lineup
August 2024 Season League Night #2

1. Nissan SILVIA spec-R Aero (S15) '02 on SM Tires @ Deep Forest Raceway - S01 Dawn - (9 Laps)​
2. RUF RGT 4.2 '16 on SS Tires @ Autodromo Nazionale Monza - S02 Afternoon - (8 Laps)​
3. Renault R.S.01 GT3 '16 on RM Tires @ Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow - S01 Early Morning - (13 Laps)​

August 11th Combos.png

I won't be racing for a long time... I lost the internet tonight and when I went downstairs to check the router, the basement is flooded. 😠

Sorry about that, I wish you luck with insurance stuff and everything. I got lucky in Quebec we received less rain than in Montreal and the surrounding area.

Tell your insurer you had a PS5 and a Fanatec DD Pro 😂 just kidding !

Not even COVID could make you miss a sunday night, it takes an « act of god »

The below text in bold has been added to the Tuning Prohibited portion of the OLR. This replaces the previous explanation regarding the use of custom wheels.

It should be noted that changing wheel size, width, and offset does change the PP rating of the car. The BoP setting does not correct this. The changes are typically +/- .2 PP but examples have been found that make a larger difference. The PP limit of the lobby will be set to allow for the PP of the car in stock form with the correct tires installed. Should the use of a wheel change the PP of the car to something over that limit, the car will not be allowed to enter the room. It is the responsibility of the driver to make sure their car will be able to enter the track on race night. Hosts will not wait for a driver to go change wheels if they were not able to enter the track due to the PP limit.

Sunday Night Combos.png

Gran Turismo 7
Sunday, August 11th, 2024 Lineup
August 2024 Season League Night #2

1. Nissan SILVIA spec-R Aero (S15) '02 on SM Tires @ Deep Forest Raceway - S01 Dawn - (9 Laps)​
2. RUF RGT 4.2 '16 on SS Tires @ Autodromo Nazionale Monza - S02 Afternoon - (8 Laps)​
3. Renault R.S.01 GT3 '16 on RM Tires @ Willow Springs International Raceway - Big Willow - S01 Early Morning - (13 Laps)​
Can you confirm the time on combo 1 please? Seems dark for my old eyes lol

Are you saying that you can't see at dawn or want a time for the lap? 🤪
You have me worried. I have horrible eyesight. Adjust the video settings to brighten it up! It's what I do.

Edit"
I increased the exposure recently for an event that was far too dark for me. Combo 1 at dawn actually looks really good especially the contrast going from dark sections into the tunnels.
Adjust the video output exposure in settings (top left of screen).

But nicktune said 13:00.

Last edited:
You have me worried. I have horrible eyesight. Adjust the video settings to brighten it up! It's what I do.

Edit"
I increased the exposure recently for an event that was far too dark for me. Combo 1 at dawn actually looks really good especially the contrast going from dark sections into the tunnels.
lol, it’s actually not that bad, and yeah I’ve had to do the same with exposure for night races, but looking back at Nik’s post I didn’t see a time so just wanted to confirm. Fun little combo though

I don't think anybody kicked off the Car-Show this week.

I try to tie in my Car-Show scape location with some sort of current events or historical anniversary. When I'm stumped, I ask Google for help and sure enough, Eiger Mountain came up. Turns out Eiger's first ascent was on August 11th, 1858

SHARE_20240811_1223270.jpeg

Go figure, I'm just about to hit the "Post Reply" button and @Worst_Driver beat me to it by 30 seconds...
See you Sunday.

Can confirm ping on the Sport mode connection test is ping to the GT7 server based upon your PSN country of origin. I'm 104ms on my primary (UK) PSN. Because it's pinging Amsterdam from New England. On the same PS5 90 seconds later, my ping is 22ms on my US account. Lowest ping from here to Amsterdam is around 80ms, and lowest to DC is about 13ms.

On the graphic on my UK psn with 104ms ping it is maxxed everywhere but parameter 1, which is down 2 steps. Exactly as Beck's above.

On my US psn that graphic is maxxed in all parameters.

I've never run any sport mode races, so no idea if I end up racing with Europe or US. I suspect I would end up in Euro races.

In summary, it appears the ping in the sport mode connection test graphic means nothing in public lobbies, where you aren't pinging the GT7 sport mode servers, but the room host instead.

Ping quality to nearby GT7 server should still provide a good indication of the expected quality of connection to a host, I think. Having said that Gurney_67 and I have what looks like good quality connections, but he can't get into my rooms. Kinda like the kgdffy and dragonwhisky issue.

Any suggestions?

Your CSL Elite shouldn't be any older than mine. What revision firmware are you using? That is something I don't do.. the firmware update game. Still using version 293. :lol: It is from the era when the brake parameter numbers were backwards.
I was able to fix the oscillation problem by adjusting the 'force feedback sensitivity'. Which is done in the game under controller settings. I thought it only affected the controller not a wheel, but apparently having it set to 10 of 10 causes oscillation. 3 or 4 seems to remove it.

Edit"

But nicktune said 13:00.
Nicktune's original post lacks a ToD and Weather selection, therefore it defaults to default track Time of Day and Weather settings. 13:00 doesn't transfer to online lobbies, only time trial mode. I make an effort on occasion to hunt down a closest match for selection, but this week, I didn't have the time. Combo 1 will be S01 Dawn

Rwr7ENR.png

Check out our very own @vovik05 putting SNAIL in the news!!

Don't miss GTPlanet's feature of our very own @CoachMK21!

Congrats to @Neovre for making his debut at Le Mans
(where he scored an incredible P5 finish!)

Congrats to all the SNAILs who competed in the
2015 GT Academy USA Finals!!

2015 USA Finalists
JwldiQg.jpg

Back Row: @LoCoArMeN, @vovik05, @Ryan Lynch, @Ricky Wilson, @TRL_Importlife, @Tyler Utley, @gtr3123
Front Row: @ConnorWolf, @Crystalline_T
Not Shown (qualified for, but unable to attend finals):@GTP_Compton3, @Matt Sierras, @msgt-sd
* - advanced to Silverstone finals!!

And good luck to the SNAILs who are competing in the 2016 GT Academy Mexico Finals!!

2016 Mexico Finalists
bbYg5Cy.jpg

@Enzo_Goiko (second from left), @Ness (second from right), and @pakicote (far right)

Welcome to SNAIL
From our humble beginnings, SNAIL (aka Sunday Night American Interactive League) is now the largest console-based sim racing league in the world. Our mission is to provide our members with clean, intense, and competitive racing - regardless of skill level! We believe that providing full grids of evenly-matched competitions is the most realistic way to race, improve skill, and refine racecraft! Our league night is Sunday at 9:30pm Eastern / 6:30pm Pacific, but we also have a a wide variety of other events held on other nights of the week. If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, please keep reading to learn more about us and how to join.

What Makes Us Different
SNAIL is the only sim racing league in the world that's able to combine five key features into one consolidated package. First of all, we provide you with evenly-matched competition to drivers of all skill levels. In fact, the intense level of competition that we produce has established SNAIL as the "go to" place to prepare for GT Academy. And if you want to keep track of your improvement along the way, you'll be glad to know that we keep the most comprehensive race data available on GTPlanet. We also feature an interactive process that allows all of our members to have a say in which cars and tracks we race. And last but not least, we're the only league that awards our members with valuable prizes just for racing with us!

Evenly-Matched Competition
Have you ever watched a professional race where drivers with completely different skill levels were competing on the same track? Of course not! That wouldn't be fun to watch, let alone fun to participate in. Unfortunately, that disparity of pace is something you'll often find in organized online racing. When this happens, you'll be lucky to have just a few drivers that you're truly competitive with. Everyone else will usually either be faster or slower than you. We prevent that from happening in SNAIL by dividing our drivers into separate divisions based on speed and skill. This results in full grids of evenly-matched competition and creates the closest and most intense sim racing experience around!

Prepare for GT Academy
If you'd like to compete in GT Academy, there's no better place than SNAIL to hone your skills to the elite levels necessary to make it to the finals. You need to be the best of the best to make it to Silverstone, and that's exactly what the drivers in our top division are. Half of last year's and half of this year's Silverstone Finalists have raced in SNAIL. And since our race format (which features multiple sprint races) is almost identical to the format used at the GT Academy national finals, they were able to use their SNAIL experience to help them advance to Silverstone. Click here if you want to advice from last year's eventual champion and click here if you want advice from last year's runner-up.

Valuable Prizes
Have you ever wished you could win free stuff just for having fun? If so, then you might want to know that our members win valuable real-world prizes just for racing with us! These prize are based on participation and not on race results. Some examples of prizes our members have won include GranStand sim racing products like this, this and this, ButtKicker products like a Gamer2 and a Wireless ButtKicker Kit. You can also join Team SNAIL and earn even more prizes, such as shirts (e.g. S.N.A.I.L. shirt, F1 shirt, GT Academy shirt), video capture devices (e.g. Hauppauge PVR), sim racing equipment (e.g. Playseat Evolution), and even gift cards (e.g. Amazon and PSN).

Spec Racing
SNAIL has always been a one-make series, but when we decided to prohibit tuning in all of our races, we became the first "spec" racing league on GTPlanet. Spec racing ensures that success is determined primarily by driving skill and not by differences in power, gearing, suspension, weight, or aerodynamics. Because variables in the car are eliminated, spec racing is the truest measure of driver skill! It also produces intense battles for position because all of the cars are equally strong or weak in the same areas of the track. Plus, you'll never spend hours tuning cars or wondering if someone is truly faster than you or if they just have a better tune.

Race Format
Our league night lasts for two hours and is split into three rounds. Each round consists of two races that last 10 to 12 minutes on a predetermined car and track combo. At the beginning of each round, a brief qualifying session determines the order of the starting grid. The first race is set to 'Fastest First' to reward the best qualifiers and the second race is set to 'Reverse Grid' in order to promote on-track action. Points are awarded based on our "perfect" points system. After a round is completed, we move on to the next round and repeat the same process with the next car and track combination. Once all three rounds are complete, we tally up the points and then let our interactive format kick in.

Interactive Participation
Our unique format allows everyone to have a say on which cars and tracks we race. It's also used to strike a balance between familiarity and variety of our car and track combos. In other words, the progression of cars and tracks that we race is slow enough for us to learn them well, but fast enough that they don't get "old". At the end of every league night, everyone votes on which car and track combo they enjoyed the least. The combo that receives the most "elimination votes" is dropped from the next week's lineup entirely. The combo that receives the second most votes is also dropped, but only partially. This is where our prizes come into play:

Prizes
A prize is awarded to the divisions winners with the three highest scores*. The division winner with the highest score gets Prize A. The division winner with the second highest score gets Prize B. The division winner with the third highest score gets Prize C: (NOTE: We now have a new process for breaking ties in the elimination vote)
Prize A: The right to select the new car and track combo to replace the combo that was voted off
Prize B: The right to replace either the car or the track of the combo that received the second most votes
Prize C: The right to "freeze" either the car or the track of the combo that received the second most votes

Promotion and Relegation
Although we split our drivers into separate divisions based on performance and skill level, we realize that our drivers are constantly improving and deserve a chance to climb the ladder of success. That's why we promote and relegate drivers before every season based on the results and data compiled during the previous season. This is also done to ensure that our races are as competitive as possible for all of our league members, top to bottom. Regardless of which division you're in, you will almost always be fighting to gain or defend a position on the track. Simply put, no other Gran Turismo league in the world can offer this much competitive racing to so many different skill levels.

Comprehensive Race Data
It's not always accurate to promote and relegate drivers based on championship points alone. That's why the massive amounts of data we track are invaluable to our league. You'd be hard-pressed to find a sim racing league anywhere in the world that tracks driver data and race results more comprehensively than we do. In fact, our SNAIL Data document contains so much information that we have to archive old data to avoid exceeding the GoogleDoc's maximum capacity! You can use this data to track the points championship for each season and compare yourself to other drivers in categories such as fast laps, total race pace, total points, average points per race, and power rankings.

Rules
We expect all drivers to follow our OLR Rules and pursue good racecraft at all times. If you're not sure what good racecraft is, watch this video. It can be summed up in one simple 'Golden Rule' of motorsports: It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver, meaning the car that is attempting to execute the pass, to make sure that the pass is made cleanly and incident free. If you don't agree with this rule or don't think it applies to you, this is not the league for you. If you ever feel like a driver is not following the rules, please wait until league night is over, then file a Racing Incident Report. Our Stewards will review the incident and issue the appropriate penalties.

Settings
Lobby Settings
Tire Settings:
Based on Dealership PP (not the PP after an oil change)
below 349 PP -> Comfort Mediums
350-399 PP ---> Comfort Softs
400-449 PP ---> Sports Hards
450-499 PP ---> Sports Mediums
500-549 PP ---> Sports Softs
550-599 PP ---> Racing Hards
600 PP & up --> Racing Mediums

How To Join Us
Step 1: Post a reply (by clicking the 'Reply' button at the bottom of this post) stating, "I have read the first post and would like to join," and tell us how you heard about SNAIL. (Do not start a conversation with anyone, just post your request on this thread).
Step 2: Watch the thread for a reply to your post and follow the instructions provided.
Step 3: Purchase the three cars listed in the lineup for our next races.
Step 4: Wait to be assigned to a division and then join that division's lounge on Sunday night.
If you are not sure which division you are assigned to, please check the Offical Driver List

For a list of helpful links and FAQ's, please click here.

I have read the first post and would like to join. I have known about SNAIL from GT6 days but recently been brought back to it thorugh Outlaws Trini Gaming Community

Nicktune's original post lacks a ToD and Weather selection, therefore it defaults to default track Time of Day and Weather settings. 13:00 doesn't transfer to online lobbies, only time trial mode. I make an effort on occasion to hunt down a closest match for selection, but this week, I didn't have the time. Combo 1 will be S01 Dawn
How is the default Time of Day determined for the track?

Back