◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,479 comments
TC is only allowed because lobbies would randomly turn it on for some but not all wven when set to prohibited. If that has, in fact, been fixed then we should go back to SNAIL rules and have it prohibited.
@llNovall Michelin series runs with TC prohibited and I'm assuming it works. I have been thinking along the same lines, namely prohibiting TC. It can give a decided advantage during standing starts. And when I was first in Snail, and forced to drive without TC, my lap times dropped by about 1-2 seconds.

This weeks view through my viewfinder:

Lots of wheel angle required at Eiger.
de669790f49e31ef0627aac74e016e81_thumb_l.jpeg
84b769414710c486d3c3ac3420851a84_thumb_l.jpeg

I never noticed how spectacular the scenery was. If I ever win Prize A again we're coming back here in a convertible. :D:cheers:
b7d8457e53a66b0df3cbdc7fa6250a37_thumb_l.jpeg

Waiting for a train in the Alps has high entertainment value. And I'm impressed by how effectively the police tape safety barrier is performing.
dea38ef67587650de3e32c41b7c583b8_thumb_l.jpeg

Bright lights. Big city. Say what you want, it has staying power.
3f8b7169eb76ac70f2549c87295d291a_thumb_l.jpeg

@cesarr64 and @TexHill waiting for carhop service at the A&W while the rest of us negotiate yet another chicane of death.
b65cf73b10ac8e0f0705b12bb97fea3a_thumb_l.jpeg

Closest finish of the night. Good racing @JamCar0ne @CdnSweetTee @racingchamp30, and me way back there.
ecf7b76106d3776de2bddeb96abbffc4_thumb_l.jpeg

Tight quarters at the start.
9dc7d495a56442c37024fdaca884d50d_thumb_l.jpeg

The Esses were a challenge for most everyone.
3b2b050031e2678234ed8c0895a07ba1_thumb_l.jpeg

Maybe not the Alps, but an impressive view none the less.
3b41239c5b37721ec15d1fe662adff58_thumb_l.jpeg

@llNovall Michelin series runs with TC prohibited and I'm assuming it works. I have been thinking along the same lines, namely prohibiting TC. It can give a decided advantage during standing starts. And when I was first in Snail, and forced to drive without TC, my lap times dropped by about 1-2 seconds.
As far as I know, we have not experienced any TC issues for quite some time.

I think traction control should be allowed as it doesn't give an unfair advantage, and it is equipped on all modern road cars and most modern race cars, with the exception being Formula 1. If TC is limited in SNAIL, then in my opinion, the only limiting factor should be did the real-world car come with it equipped from the factory. TC is a tool, nothing more. If one driver smart enough to use it to their advantage and another driver is not, then that's the fault of the latter.

Last edited:
Hey. Leave the TC allowed. This will help with a cleaner standing start. Compare a start test with no TC. The new physics of the 1.50 release has made a lot of cars tail happy, so TC could help with control. AND, we all are using a verity of control. Wheels differ, setting differ, and than there's Controller. Thank goodness we don't race in the rain. But me should. So keep TC allowed.

I think traction control should be allowed as it doesn't give an unfair advantage, and it is equipped on all modern road cars and most modern race cars, with the exception being Formula 1. If TC is limited in SNAIL, then in my opinion, the only limiting factor should be did the real-world car come with it equipped from the factory. TC is a tool, nothing more. If one driver smart enough to use it to their advantage and another driver is not, then that's the fault of the latter.
I agree with this. TC is a par5 of the deal with most cars, which come with controls for TC. The effort to bring realism to racing all but mandates allowing TC.

Hey. Leave the TC allowed. This will help with a cleaner standing start. Compare a start test with no TC. The new physics of the 1.50 release has made a lot of cars tail happy, so TC could help with control. AND, we all are using a verity of control. Wheels differ, setting differ, and than there's Controller. Thank goodness we don't race in the rain. But me should. So keep TC allowed.
+1
Personally, I would be OK to allow it. I would only use it on race starts but apart from that people who want to use it can. It would be available to all.

Ok apparently I’m behind the times….how the heck do you use TC just for the start? I thought it was either on or off.

Ok apparently I’m behind the times….how the heck do you use TC just for the start? I thought it was either on or off.
It's in the control center? radar, weather, lap times, and TCS, which can be set from 0-5(6?). Set it to 1 or 2 at the start, and once launched set it back to 0.

Oh yeah, DUH! I knew that!
Honestly I practice my starts with every car without TC and with a bit of practice you can get a really decent launch with pretty much any car.
It’s funny, every race I’m sitting at an idle while all I hear is cars red lining, waiting for the green lol

Thanks guys l!

Oh yeah, DUH! I knew that!
Honestly I practice my starts with every car without TC and with a bit of practice you can get a really decent launch with pretty much any car.
It’s funny, every race I’m sitting at an idle while all I hear is cars red lining, waiting for the green lol

Thanks guys l!
I use the same race start procedure as you, foot to the floor to redline and honk a couple of times when possible. But in the dailies you can use TC freely.

I use the same race start procedure as you, foot to the floor to redline and honk a couple of times when possible. But in the dailies you can use TC freely.
No, I don’t use the foot to the floor for starts. I’m at an idle until I feel the right moment to start accelerating. I’m not the fastest out of the box, but can usually get a jump on a couple people, if I time it just right. Never tried starting with TC though.

Last edited:
Starting without TC is a skill. I like it when skills are rewarded. I just wish I had more of them. 😊 I practice starts as part of my car data collection. This leads to various approaches, from full throttle to no throttle with variations in between. If TC remains an option I'll consider using it on the start line.

TC and ABS both ‘off’ please. Let’s make it interesting.
ABS has traditionally been the only driver aid that has remained allowed since SNAIL's inception. I'm not at all certain turning ABS off for everyone would make for better racing across all skill levels we have participating, even with only 2 divisions. TC on the other hand, has been just the opposite, traditionally speaking and, as JLBowler pointed out, was only allowed because the setting prohibiting it was discovered as broken. All SNAILs can expect a decision and announcement regarding the Traction Control lobby setting before the September season starts on the 8th.

On another note, if any SNAILs, past, present or future, or for that matter, anyone that visits these pages, were considering helping a SNAIL recover from some recent flood damage, you may visit https://gofund.me/a8289419 to contribute towards that effort. He's already confirmed to have received a G29 wheel and pedal set from one generous SNAIL, and contributions stand at just over 50% of the goal. The contribution page is scheduled to close next Wednesday, 4 September 2024. If you wish to be added to the conversation specifically for this effort, please send me a private message and I'll get you added to that group here at GTPlanet.

SNAILs have a long standing history of generosity as mentioned here and quoted below.
Less than a month later, a custom of generosity and assistance was began, with the founding father’s saved game data the loss. This habit of generosity would extend to not only catastrophic losses but also to helping those in need of assistance obtaining DLC, passing out cars, paints and gear, instruction on not only driving, but also how to use certain game operations to enhance participation efficiency.
Help us meet that goal!

Last edited:
SNAIL is a spec racing league. So Traction Control should either be prohibited or mandated, there should be no 'allow'.

For us non-alien drivers, traction control (TC) affects our races more. Particularly when one driver has it and the other does not. Knowing the other driver is not using TC, you can assume they are aware of the risk vs rewards when driving door to door. Where drivers with TC tend to rely on TC as a sort of security blanket to save them in the event they make an error.
TC and ABS both ‘off’ please. Let’s make it interesting.
Wasn't there a rule back in the GT6 days that ABS 'off' was not allowed or maybe it was just frowned upon?

SNAIL is a spec racing league. So Traction Control should either be prohibited or mandated, there should be no 'allow'.

For us non-alien drivers, traction control (TC) affects our races more. Particularly when one driver has it and the other does not. Knowing the other driver is not using TC, you can assume they are aware of the risk vs rewards when driving door to door. Where drivers with TC tend to rely on TC as a sort of security blanket to save them in the event they make an error.

Wasn't there a rule back in the GT6 days that ABS 'off' was not allowed or maybe it was just frowned upon?
I use TC at 1 for some combo's and 0 for others. I use TC when the vehicle will spin out if I don't and I use a controller.

I’m 100% good with no TC, but historically didn’t the lowest division have the TC enabled for beginners?
I believe you are right about the lowest division being allowed TC.
By the same token, the highest division should drop ABS (at least on cars that don’t or didn’t have it in real life).
Would be good to have 8 divisions for this. For this reason, I won’t insist on this new rule. 🌪️💩 🤣

Random thoughts about Traction Control:

The spirit of SNAIL is to provide a group where, no matter your skill level, you will find someone(s) to race against. The settings need to be consistent for all players, no matter their skill level, so that skill level plays the maximum role maintaining that spirit, all while attempting to keep things relatively simple.

Having to turn TC off, whether it's prohibited or allowed, is one question, being able to turn it on when it's prohibited also needs to be answered. I would imagine that would be fairly simple to test.

Comparison to IRL cars is a non-starter. For one, does anyone know of any road cars where the stock TC setting is adjustable? I'm fairly certain that most do not. Every car I've ever driven that had/has TC only had 2 settings, On/Off. Do race cars have adjustable TC IRL? Which ones do and which don't? Every manufacturer will have different implementations of TC that can vary by model and year. Layered on top of that is PD's interpretation of that implementation, if they even tried to model that and, in Gran Turismo, TC, if enabled, is adjustable on every car, even if it never had TC IRL. There are just to many variables here to account and adjust for to make a comparison, GT-Real, relevant.

Yes, the same could be said of ABS. I would argue that control while braking is much more important, in maintaining the spirit of SNAIL, than it is while accelerating. So far as I have experienced, most cars can decelerate much faster than they can accelerate. In other words, it takes more time to get to terminal velocity than it does to get back to a dead stop from terminal velocity. Yes, I realize there are some exceptions to that observation. ABS is much more of a "safety feature" than TC is.

Random thoughts about Traction Control:

The spirit of SNAIL is to provide a group where, no matter your skill level, you will find someone(s) to race against. The settings need to be consistent for all players, no matter their skill level, so that skill level plays the maximum role maintaining that spirit, all while attempting to keep things relatively simple.

Having to turn TC off, whether it's prohibited or allowed, is one question, being able to turn it on when it's prohibited also needs to be answered. I would imagine that would be fairly simple to test.

Comparison to IRL cars is a non-starter. For one, does anyone know of any road cars where the stock TC setting is adjustable? I'm fairly certain that most do not. Every car I've ever driven that had/has TC only had 2 settings, On/Off. Do race cars have adjustable TC IRL? Which ones do and which don't? Every manufacturer will have different implementations of TC that can vary by model and year. Layered on top of that is PD's interpretation of that implementation, if they even tried to model that and, in Gran Turismo, TC, if enabled, is adjustable on every car, even if it never had TC IRL. There are just to many variables here to account and adjust for to make a comparison, GT-Real, relevant.

Yes, the same could be said of ABS. I would argue that control while braking is much more important, in maintaining the spirit of SNAIL, than it is while accelerating. So far as I have experienced, most cars can decelerate much faster than they can accelerate. In other words, it takes more time to get to terminal velocity than it does to get back to a dead stop from terminal velocity. Yes, I realize there are some exceptions to that observation. ABS is much more of a "safety feature" than TC is.
For the September season, will TC have to be turned to prohibited in the settings?

I’m 100% good with no TC, but historically didn’t the lowest division have the TC enabled for beginners?
As a former member of the great division eight, TC was not enabled by default. Any driver aids available for use had to be requested by the driver to be turned on. I don't recall TC every being requested. The driving line was often requested and usually just by one or two drivers still learning the tracks. Traction control was the least of our problems, braking and keeping the car on track were the biggest obstacles.

Latest Posts

Back