◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,621 comments
Promotion and relegation is complete for the new season and all new drivers have been added to the drivers list which has been updated and is ready for this week's racing.

All drivers need to check the list for any changes. Division managers should create new threads for the April season.

The BoD is still discussing some things and there may be changes announced tomorrow.

@correavw

I have a nice wheel, just have nothing to set it up with. I've look at racing seat contraptions and they're all out of my price range. I know once I do get to use the wheel, I'll have to practice a ton to be any good at it. Lol, been racing with controllers for 20+ yrs

Somewhere in this massive thread are photos of what could be the most ingenious folding lawn chair race rig contraption ever devised. Don't recall who made it, but it definitely was a product of thinking outside the box.

I never took photos of my very first stand but it was nothing but PVC pipe with some extensions that slid under the couch that I sat on. I was able to pick the whole thing up and move it out of the living room. Not long after that contraption, I was given a room in the house for my racing gear and a desk. A couple of years later, the rig grew in size and is now in the man cave. The rig is entirely self contained with wheel and pedals, seat from a mid 90s Mustang (junkyard find), 42" LCD tv, buttkicker, and surround sound. There is even space for the PS3 and PS4 behind the TV.

I've tinkered with similar type tables, didn't quite feel right. Either table was to wobbly, chair I was using wasn't position correctly, pedals would keep sliding away from me... I do have some ideas about what I want to build, just takes time and money.

I used something like this which I found for around $30. Clamped the steering wheel to the top. And then laid an ancient 45lb barbell weight across the front with pedals against that to keep it all from wobbling. It was functional for all but the most erratic steering inputs. At which point the car was probably lost anyway.

4F11FE4A-8BEA-4E7A-82DD-5CD60FAFF595.jpeg

Mad props to everyone using the DS4 to race. I’ve tried and just suck horribly. But I’m also usually the first one dead in any FPS games. :lol:

Oh. And they are _all_ games unless you’re in an _actual_ simulator.

04A31E54-FAAF-4BDD-BAAB-1EA86CFEC508.jpeg

I have a nice wheel, just have nothing to set it up with. I've look at racing seat contraptions and they're all out of my price range. I know once I do get to use the wheel, I'll have to practice a ton to be any good at it. Lol, been racing with controllers for 20+ yrs

Somewhere in this massive thread are photos of what could be the most ingenious folding lawn chair race rig contraption ever devised. Don't recall who made it, but it definitely was a product of thinking outside the box.

Thanks for the compliment @JamCar0ne !

@Akzl298 have a look through this post and see if anything sparks an idea. Of course you could skip all that and go right to link in my sig. ;)

Practice room is open.
ID: 0475-4241-8374-0636-8836
Starting at Barcelona-Catalunya Grand Prix Layout.
Now at Fuji International Speedway (Short).
Now at Monza.
Done.

Last edited:
The BoD has been in discussions over the last couple of weeks on some rule changes to SNAIL Sunday night racing. At this time we have three changes to announce. They will all be effective immediately meaning the April season.

The first is a change to the qualifying rules.

Any driver who leaves the racing surface during their out lap may return to the track and continue their qualifying run provided the come to a complete stop off the track and wait for the last car in the session to pass. Once the last car has passed, they may leave a sufficient gap (5 seconds) and rejoin the qualifying session. If there is not room to reenter and meet these provisions, the driver must remain off the track until the end of the session.

The second concerns the use of brake balance adjustment.

Adjusting brake balance is allowed. This will be allowed until such time that there is a game update that allows for brake balance settings to be verified during a replay.

The final change involves the use of the clutch pedal.

Due to the exploitation of a glitch in the way a clutch and H-gate shifter is allowed to be used in Gran Turismo, SNAIL does not allow the use of the clutch pedal in any way. If a driver is suspected of using the clutch pedal in any way, an IR may be filed and the stewards and, if necessary, BoD members will review the replay for indications that the clutch was used. If a driver is found to have used the clutch pedal, they will be assessed a level 5 penalty worth 17 points. This policy will be revisited any time an update is released that changes how the clutch and H-gate shifter or changes shifting in general.

These changes will be added to the sections of the SNAIL OLR Policies and Guidelines thread later today but they are in effect for tonight's racing.

The BoD has been in discussions over the last couple of weeks on some rule changes to SNAIL Sunday night racing. At this time we have three changes to announce. They will all be effective immediately meaning the April season.

Any driver who leaves the racing surface during their out lap may return to the track and continue their qualifying run provided the come to a complete stop off the track and wait for the last car in the session to pass. Once the last car has passed, they may leave a sufficient gap (5 seconds) and rejoin the qualifying session. If there is not room to reenter and meet these provisions, the driver must remain off the track until the end of the session.

Adjusting brake balance is allowed. This will be allowed until such time that there is a game update that allows for brake balance settings to be verified during a replay.

Due to the exploitation of a glitch in the way a clutch and H-gate shifter is allowed to be used in Gran Turismo, SNAIL does not allow the use of the clutch pedal in any way. If a driver is suspected of using the clutch pedal in any way, an IR may be filed and the stewards and, if necessary, BoD members will review the replay for indications that the clutch was used. If a driver is found to have used the clutch pedal, they will be assessed a level 5 penalty worth 17 points. This policy will be revisited any time an update is released that changes how the clutch and H-gate shifter or changes shifting in general.

These changes will be added to the sections of the SNAIL OLR Policies and Guidelines thread later today but they are in effect for tonight's racing.

Alright!!! Now time to “tighten” up the fields and make this fun for all involved. Thanks BOD!!!

OK, just a couple questions/comments, if that's ok?
Is it the intent of the BoD to eventually revert back to not allowing brake balance adjustments? If so I see no reason to start using it now, as I've never used it in Snail, and I really don't intend to spend time on refining this setting for each car if I'm just going to have to learn to go back to not using it again!

Now for the question with a comment, that I'm sure will not be popular at all, but here it is.....Am I reading this right???? For the guys with shifters and clutches, they are now not allowed to use the clutch when performing shifts like you would in a real car? If that's correct, then I certainly do not agree with this rule at all, and I don't even have a shifter, but if I did spend my hard earned money on one, and then was told I couldn't use it here, as it was intended to be used.........Well I think you know where I'm going.

This, I like. I have thrown away many a good qually chance on an out lap excursion.

OK, just a couple questions/comments, if that's ok?
Is it the intent of the BoD to eventually revert back to not allowing brake balance adjustments? If so I see no reason to start using it now, as I've never used it in Snail, and I really don't intend to spend time on refining this setting for each car if I'm just going to have to learn to go back to not using it again!

Now for the question with a comment, that I'm sure will not be popular at all, but here it is.....Am I reading this right???? For the guys with shifters and clutches, they are now not allowed to use the clutch when performing shifts like you would in a real car? If that's correct, then I certainly do not agree with this rule at all, and I don't even have a shifter, but if I did spend my hard earned money on one, and then was told I couldn't use it here, as it was intended to be used.........Well I think you know where I'm going.

This is a sim league... In my eyes this is far cheaper than any racecar I’ll ever own. This will probably be the closest I’ll ever get to being in an actual car. For me, to have to spend money to compete “in an online racing GAME/Sim” seems ridiculous. But I spent the money anyway to “compete”. I agree with the rule and I even spent big money on my wheel/pedals/shifter from Fanatec. I am all for close racing that relys on the driver rather than money. That’s what real racing is all about.
Even now a days in real life it’s all about money no matter what form of racing you are in.

This is a sim league... In my eyes this is far cheaper than any racecar I’ll ever own. This will probably be the closest I’ll ever get to being in an actual car. For me, to have to spend money to compete “in an online racing GAME/Sim” seems ridiculous. But I spent the money anyway to “compete”. I agree with the rule and I even spent big money on my wheel/pedals/shifter from Fanatec. I am all for close racing that relys on the driver rather than money. That’s what real racing is all about.
Even now a days in real life it’s all about money no matter what form of racing you are in.
This is is not Sim.....Spec maybe, but to say it's Sim after the rules that were just implemented, is ridiculous!

This is is not Sim.....Spec maybe, but to say it's Sim after the rules that were just implemented, is ridiculous!
It all depends on how you look at it. It’s still a game. My point was more towards the ladder part of my message.

It all depends on how you look at it. It’s still a game. My point was more towards the ladder part of my message.
And I totally get your point and do value your opinion, as well as everyone else's, I was just voicing mine.
So Thanks for replying to my comment. As far as fair racing, it did kind of work itself out, I thought anyway. The guys with shifters battled it out in D1, and the majority of the rest eventually get evened out in the rest of the divisions, so the racing was always competitive in all divisions, and I don't see this rule changing that, will it?
I'm going to assume that brake balance will be back to prohibited, once the game allows it....same as the return of the use of clutches once it's all straightened out, as the original post suggests.

As someone who was a big advocate to get these rules changed, here are my personal opinions.

Is it the intent of the BoD to eventually revert back to not allowing brake balance adjustments?

If PD ever decides to give us that option. And so far PD hasn't given online lobbies/leagues much customization, so I doubt it'll ever happen. But if were ever able to 'lock' brake bias at 0, it will be used.

If so I see no reason to start using it now, as I've never used it in Snail, and I really don't intend to spend time on refining this setting for each car if I'm just going to have to learn to go back to not using it again!

I was one of the few guys in SNAIL that streamed my races while making it a point to cycle through my HUD to prove I was using 0 brake bias at all times. It's the only setting I know.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago to the FIA season starting. I decided to take a crack at learning what brake bias does to try and squeeze every ounce of potential out of the car. I now have a good understanding on what changing this setting does.

I suggest if you've never played with the brake bias setting before, dont touch it until you have an understanding of what it does.

For anyone interested in learning what it does - this is a great tutorial about it (I see Tom has also found it)

Will your lap times suddenly improve by 5 seconds while you lap the entire field twice? No. But you'll have more control over your car which can translate to quicker lap times. And your knowledge of this can be carried over to Sport mode, where you also have free reign to adjust brake balance. Overall I think this change helps all of SNAIL become better and more knowledgeable drivers.

As someone who spent $250 on a TH8A and shifter mount just to stay competitive in SNAIL, it is now an expensive paperweight. I cant even use it in the Daily races or FIA races now. Using the clutch legitimately or exploiting the quick shift bug has such a massive advantage that it takes away from our evenly matched SNAIL experience. No one should be passing 5 cars off the line before you even get to T1. The only reason you should have a better holeshot than the next guy is because you had a better launch with proper throttle control - not because of the simple fact you own a shifter.

For the realism guys that do like to shift - well you still can. You'll just have to do it without the clutch (which will shift your car at the same speed the paddles do)

If you think you might be prone to accidently clutch shifting, I suggest you either unplug your shifter all together or simply keep two hands on the wheel at all times.

This rule change only impacts a small minority of SNAIL since most guys do not own a shifter. It also only has an impact on X amount of cars. So to the majority of SNAIL - you should be happy knowing no one else will have the potential to shift quicker than you. Whether it be off the line or over the course of a lap. And if they are found using the shifter+clutch, they will be faced with a stiff penalty.

Division Texters: Please remind everyone about these rule changes in your respective lobbies tonight.

Last edited:
As someone who was a big advocate to get these rules changed, here are my personal opinions.

If PD ever decides to give us that option. And so far PD hasn't given online lobbies/leagues much customization, so I doubt it'll ever happen. But if were ever able to 'lock' brake bias at 0, it will be used.

I was one of the few guys in SNAIL that streamed my races while making it a point to cycle through my HUD to prove I was using 0 brake bias at all times. It's the only setting I know.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago to the FIA season starting. I decided to take a crack at learning what brake bias does to try and squeeze every ounce of potential out of the car. I now have a good understanding on what changing this setting does.

I suggest if you've never played with the brake bias setting before, dont touch it until you have an understanding of what it does.

For anyone interested in learning what it does - this is a great tutorial about it (I see Tom has also found it)

Will your lap times suddenly improve by 5 seconds while you lap the entire field twice? No. But you'll have more control over your car which can translate to quicker lap times. And your knowledge of this can be carried over to Sport mode, where you also have free reign to adjust brake balance. Overall I think this change helps all of SNAIL become better overall drivers.

As someone who spent $250 on a TH8A and shifter mount just to stay competitive in SNAIL, it is now an expensive paperweight. I cant even use it in the Daily races or FIA races now. Using the clutch legitimately or exploiting the quick shift bug has such a massive advantage that it takes away from our evenly matched SNAIL experience. No one should be passing 5 cars off the line before you even get to T1. The only reason you should have a better holeshot than the next guy is because you had a better launch with proper throttle control - not because of the simple fact you own a shifter.

For the realism guys that do like to shift - well you still can. You'll just have to do it without the clutch (which will shift your car at the same speed the paddles do)

If you think you might be prone to accidently clutch shifting, I suggest you either unplug your shifter all together or simply keep two hands on the wheel at all times.

This rule change only impacts a small minority of SNAIL since most guys do not own a shifter. It also only has an impact on X amount of cars. So to the majority of SNAIL - you should be happy knowing no one else will have the potential to shift quicker than you. Whether it be off the line or over the course of a lap. And if they are found using the shifter+clutch, they will be faced with a stiff penalty.

Division Texters: Please remind everyone about these rule changes in your respective lobbies tonight.

Well I do appreciate you taking the time to explain it thoroughly, and I was only raising my concerns because I was seriously thinking about getting a shifter in the future, as I am one of those guys that really enjoys as much realism as possible(cockpit view, manual shift, etc.) but I guess that's money I can spend on my real life money pit....I mean sports car!
Thanks again, and hopefully these changes will be for the best.....time will tell.

Back