2.08 Draft in free run mode!!! (crucial for 3k+)

• Thread starter dr_slump
  • 63 comments

dr_slump

Premium
Switzerland
Switzerland
the_dr_slump / GTP_dr_slump
Note: If you tune for 1/4mile, don't even bother with it.

Well yes, draft is now turned on in free run mode.
Sounds terrible? Yes, but there's an easy solution:

Turn on the "Deactivate Collisions" option in the event settings!!!

This will deactivate the draft in free run mode, essential for drag racing.

UPDATE:
If you do so, you'll no longer be able to go by tree!!!

EDIT: Changed the room title cause some dou:censored:es obviously don't get that there are other forms of drag racing than 1/4mile.

Last edited:
Damn cant wait to check it out, I couldn't stay up long enough for the maintenance to finish so I went to bed.

Any major tuning difference? Suspension?

And samples of cars affected?

****, why not? car doesn't go ghost anymore?

How about leave it(deactivate collisions) on(or off?) and just don't draft?

If off, cars wont be ghost but you can draft?

How about just not getting behind someone to draft? Do the physics change if draft is enabled even if you don't purposely draft?

Why not use the horn as replacement ? One honk for every second, the third or fifth honk is the green light :lol:

That's not wholly accurate. I had it before that my friend was actually at my house with his ps3 and on a seperate tv but in the same room.

He beeped his horn rapidly, but on MY console/screen it sounded like 2 long beeps, as opposed to like 6 rapid beeps...

Same story with flashing the headlights, rapidly on-and-off, looks like a delayed On............Off.

On topic, I dont get why drafting will make any problems. In drags, you're side by side your opponent, not directly behind? Even on 3K rooms, if there are 3 or 4 of you set up to race, just stay in your lane or line...?

KraigA
That's not wholly accurate. I had it before that my friend was actually at my house with his ps3 and on a seperate tv but in the same room.

He beeped his horn rapidly, but on MY console/screen it sounded like 2 long beeps, as opposed to like 6 rapid beeps...

Same story with flashing the headlights, rapidly on-and-off, looks like a delayed On............Off.

Yep i can confirm this too.

The only time the headlights flash repeadly is on the cars that actually have that. Example LMP and GT500 and GT300 and i think a few touring cars

On topic, I dont get why drafting will make any problems. In drags, you're side by side your opponent, not directly behind? Even on 3K rooms, if there are 3 or 4 of you set up to race, just stay in your lane or line...?

If the horn is affected by lag, would it be the same with ghosting ? 2 cars might see the ghosting at a fraction of a second difference, just like hearing the horn a bit late or earlier than the other. It could be interesting to try honk the horn at longer interval, 2 seconds - 3 times, the 3rd is the go signal ? An interesting experiment to try online, or another alternative, the rear brake lights, does it lag as well ? It might be a good way too.

If the horn is affected by lag, would it be the same with ghosting ? 2 cars might see the ghosting at a fraction of a second difference, just like hearing the horn a bit late or earlier than the other. It could be interesting to try honk the horn at longer interval, 2 seconds - 3 times, the 3rd is the go signal ? An interesting experiment to try online, or another alternative, the rear brake lights, does it lag as well ? It might be a good way too.

The best way would probably just be the first horn. As I think the lag is due to the rapid succession of beeps as opposed to just the beep itself.

However, I still dont see why we cant just conventionally ghost the normal way, and keep collisions off and just have a sharp host who will kick the bs'ers lol.. and the "drafting issue"... thats already an unwritten rule that if you draft in drag you're a noob too. You drag side by side, as has always been done... no?

Sometime the horn or any sound is hard to hear for those that don't have/use a headset

Engines at WOT overpower any other sound.

What some people use to do was to have a car in front that's ghost with brake lights on. When he releases the brake, brake lights turn off...go.

Some cars it was hard to see the brake lights.

I don't see how draft will affect people who are serious drag racers.

1. In reality, you can't turn off draft.
2. If the people in drag lobbies are serious tuners, they will
a) stay on their side
b) drive so close together, that drafting the other is nearly impossible anyway.
3. You can set a time in the chat and try to time your start as close as possible.

The horn is a terrible idea. I usually play GT5 at pretty low volume

to ripcurl, thats not a bad idea, but brake lights would be pretty hard to see on a ghosted car, not to mention some cars dont even have brake lights

cant do headlights either, because standards dont have em

I'm thinking leaving collisions on. and just go as far over into your lane as you can (opposite your opponent) should be fine

I almost forgot, I just met some folks who do some drag on a public lobby, they use the timer as a guide of when to start. So once both cars are aligned and ready to go, once the seconds get into the high 50's, they get ready, then when the minute change at x:xx:01 second, they both went off the line.

^^^ Using the timer doesnt work in my experience

You got people who are releasing at 49.5 so their car takes off at 50, and the people who release when they see the number 50

I almost forgot, I just met some folks who do some drag on a public lobby, they use the timer as a guide of when to start. So once both cars are aligned and ready to go, once the seconds get into the high 50's, they get ready, then when the minute change at x:xx:01 second, they both went off the line.

I hate this method though, cause 80% of the noobs online will always launch about 0.250 seconds early.

If we agree to go at 00, that means launch when you see 00, not launch at 59.75 so that you're already moving by the time 00 comes! Even launching at 59.9 would be a .100 difference. In 1/4 mile, thats huge.

On topic, I have a Q, is the draft on free run "light" or "strong" ?

I hate this method though, cause 80% of the noobs online will always launch about 0.250 seconds early.

If we agree to go at 00, that means launch when you see 00, not launch at 59.5 so that you're already moving by the time 00 comes! Even launching at 59.9 would be a .100 difference. In 1/4 mile, thats huge.

Oops, so many loop holes in drag racing:ouch:, it's hard to find honest and clean racers these days.

Oops, so many loop holes in drag racing:ouch:, it's hard to find honest and clean racers these days.

Exactly, even a ghosting tree can be bad. Me for example, I find it hard to compete against other US players when I join a US Lobby. Due to the connection/region difference. Even in the same region lobby, fast connections v slow connections can again account for valuable milliseconds lol.

KraigA

If we agree to go at 00, that means launch when you see 00, not launch at 59.75 so that you're already moving by the time 00 comes! Even launching at 59.9 would be a .100 difference. In 1/4 mile, thats huge.

On topic, I have a Q, is the draft on free run "light" or "strong" ?

Called reaction time. You would see the same thing if GT5 had a real tree. By the time you react from releasing at. . Xxx early you will be having a perfect launch. When i used to drag it always looked for... .800 then by the time I reacted perfect to the next ten. People said sometimes "you are jumping" i replied start a race and i will do my launch 3 times at a certain time. Go save the replay and see if i launch early. I said that because I knew I never jumped that

Called reaction time. You would see the same thing if GT5 had a real tree. By the time you react from releasing at. . Xxx early you will be having a perfect launch. When i used to drag it always looked for... .800 then by the time I reacted perfect to the next ten. People said sometimes "you are jumping" i replied start a race and i will do my launch 3 times at a certain time. Go save the replay and see if i launch early. I said that because I knew I never jumped that

That's a nice launch technique, to compensate for possible lag ? Is it legit ?

Ridox2JZGTE
That's a nice launch technique, to compensate for possible lag ? Is it legit ?

Yes back when people didn't ghost. And yes it is legit. I mean a tree on a drag strip doesn't go off at different times like ghosting... It gos down a a set of lights after you stage

But anyway i have been wondering why is this thread even in the drag section?
Whoever put it in this section must be a noob Hahahaha

Thanks for calling me a noob (bad idea) and thanks for showing that you've no idea what's going on in 3k rooms (even worse).

You must be such a big pro to have such a big mouth.

Last edited:
Yes back when people didn't ghost. And yes it is legit. I mean a tree on a drag strip doesn't go off at different times like ghosting... It gos down a a set of lights after you stage

But in a drag strip, you dont launch on Amber... you react to the green. Same as you react to the ghost. You always know a ghost is going to tree within 4-5 seconds anyway...

dr_slump
Thanks for calling me a noob (bad idea) and thanks for showing that you've no idea what's going on it 3k rooms (even worse).

You must be such a big pro to have such a big mouth.

+OVER 9000, and LOL.

Back