2013 Le Mans death: RIP Allan Simonsen.

Sad Le Mans indeed.
The whole race felt pointless after the announcement of Allan's death and can't stop thinking about his girlfriend and little daughter. My thoughts and condolences goes to his family and friends.
Rest in peace Allan.

It was so sad to hear of his passing yesterday. Proud of Aston Martin for fighting on at the request of his family. May he rest in peace.

I would like express my condolences to Allan and his young daughter and wife and all of his family. You were an explicit driver and talent and you will be greatly missed.

"Le Mans is spooky when it’s wet. A pall hangs over the circuit as it disappears out into the French
countryside and darkness. You can’t help but recognise the driver’s courage when it’s like this.
Allan Simonsen’s accident is a reminder of why we should admire and never become blasé about that courage too."

628x391xallan-simonsen-aston-martin.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Jf-4ADJbwq.jpg

Allan Simonsen 1978-2013

Last edited:
From this year's Le Mans discussion thread:

I have not felt as emotional at the end of a race in a long time, if ever. Last time I saw a fatal crash live was Henry Surtees in Brand Hatch F2. It bites every time, my heart sunk on that podium.

Congrats to everyone who finished, Vipers, OAK cars, Toyota, Aston, Audi, the GT Academy boys... everyone. It's been great covering the 90th Anniversary of Le Mans, great community here, thank you all, i'll be back next year, but i'll sign off with a tribute made by GTP's very own RACECAR.

AllanSimonsenTributeBadge.png

RIP Allan Simonsen.​

RIP Allan Simonsen. You will not be forgotten...
(Credit to RACECAR for the image 👍)

Simonsen's crash is the reason I hate watching crashes live as it's not always the ultra-violent ones that prove fatal(it almost seems to be the opposite).

R.I.P.

As you may remember, whilst we were watching the 2011 Le Mans, there were huge crashes that shocked the heck out of us - and the drivers still walked away.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/11/allan-mcnish-le-mans-crash

But there were so many strange factors that came together that day - his car was awfully fast, and that tree just happened to grow there.. . .

I'm going to miss hearing that name. RIP Leffler, too - another shocker for NASCAR fans.

Just last year with Davidson's huge wreck. If I hadn't know he was "okay" after the crash and saw it I'd have thought he'd been taken from us.

I've just been combing through my photos and I was a bit spooked by a shot I took. I don't know whether to be proud that I got it or... creeped out and depressed a bit by what it represents.

simonsen20130622.jpg

Allan Simonsen, leaving the Esses to the approach of Tertre Rouge on lap 3...

Famine
I've just been combing through my photos and I was a bit spooked by a shot I took. I don't know whether to be proud that I got it or... creeped out and depressed a bit by what it represents.

Thats a great photo. I'm finding it hard to watch the video I took of the start knowing shortly after I took it he had the crash. The drivers (especially the other Aston Martin drivers) have my utmost respect for carrying on. Amazing stuff.

Being at the circuit when it was announced will always be one of the strangest things I've ever experienced and will always remain very strong in my memory. Words just can't describe the change in the atmosphere, everyone just seemed so down.

R.I.P Allan Simonsen.

Last edited:
That photo is.....moving, to say the least Famine.
And Drax's video too for that matter.
Thing is, this was the first time I've seen a fatal crash as it happened, and it hit me like a brick, more so than when I heard about Dan Wheldon, Henry Surtees, or anyone else. Man I'd hate to imagine what his friends and family must be going through :(.

Does that violate the AUP? Seeing as there is only the build up/aftermath of the crash. But I could see if it does violate. Nice tribute though.

I've just remembered I have a picture of Allan from the 2008 British GT round at Knockhill.

Ferrari F430 by GTRdaan, on Flickr

Hope those "Christians in Motorsport" are looking after him now...

I'd be proud. While the image in context is very poignant and melancholic, it really is a beautiful image in itself. A very fitting tribute, I would say.

Simonsen's crash is the reason I hate watching crashes live as it's not always the ultra-violent ones that prove fatal(it almost seems to be the opposite).

R.I.P.

The reason drivers usually walk away from the crashes that appear spectacular, and yet sometimes, sadly, succumb to injuries sustained from relatively minor looking ones is that in general the things that make the crash look spectacular are things actually in the favour of the driver's safety.

Take Allan McNish's 2011 crash for example. The car left the track at high speed, spinning and somersaulting through the air, before eventually coming to a halt when it hit the tyre wall. The crash consisted of a series of smaller impacts, first with the Ferrari, then the ground, then the tyre wall.

Each of these smaller impacts took yet more energy away from the car, but in turn caused the outer parts of the car (as they are designed to in such occurrences, I might add) to break up, which made the extent of the accident and damage appear far greater than they really were. This breakup absorbed a lot of the impact energy, slowing the car down "gently"; while the final, largest impact, was with the tyre wall, which deformed and acted as a cushion for the car, meaning the severity of the accident, although race ending, was no where near as great as it might appear.

However the driver's cockpit was left intact, and none of the impacts were severe enough to do McNish any real damage. When I saw that crash on the TV I could tell McNish would probably be fine, and I was far more worried for the bank of photographers behind the barrier, in case they might have been hit by debris. Fortunately they weren't.

Simonsen had a heavy impact effectively with a tree, with the car coming to a very sudden stop from about 100MPH; and I could tell, I am afraid to say, that when I saw the crash I knew he wasn't going to be in a good way. Alas, he was far worse off than one would hope in this modern safety age.

RIP Allan

Last edited:
The cause of Allan's unfortunate death was, according to Eduardo Freitas himself (he told me last weekend in Circuito da Boavista during the WTCC during lunch) indeed the fact that that tree is just too close to the guard-rails and they barely deformed to absorb the crash, therefore making Allan's car smashing against the tree and decelerating way faster than it would otherwise, like stated in the post above.

From then on, Eduardo sent in the Safety cars on the track to repai any and all damage made by crashes to avoid anything that could be avoided in terms of risks to the drivers, he isn't even very fond of safety cars - usually he prefers yellow flags or at best full course caution - , but in light of what had happened, he decided to opt for the safest thing until the end of the race.

[/img]

I'd be proud. While the image in context is very poignant and melancholic, it really is a beautiful image in itself. A very fitting tribute, I would say.

I'll agree with Roger, Famine. And with you, too. Spooky was the word. I haven't had much time to drop in and send you a 'Thank You' for that image; while I found it almost heart-rending to view, at the time it was posted it was downright spooky to know that you were there, you took that shot, and it ended up here, a 'bouquet of life', placed upon the memory of one who gave us many thrills and much enjoyment.
In fact it was a kind of 'shock and awe' shot - and truly brought home the message that in the midst of life we are in death.

The reason drivers usually walk away from the crashes that appear spectacular, and yet sometimes, sadly, succumb to injuries sustained from relatively minor looking ones is that in general the things that make the crash look spectacular are things actually in the favour of the driver's safety.

Take Allan McNish's 2011 crash for example. The car left the track at high speed, spinning and somersaulting through the air, before eventually coming to a halt when it hit the tyre wall. The crash consisted of a series of smaller impacts, first with the Ferrari, then the ground, then the tyre wall.

Each of these smaller impacts took yet more energy away from the car, but in turn caused the outer parts of the car (as they are designed to in such occurrences, I might add) to break up, which made the extent of the accident and damage appear far greater than they really were. This breakup absorbed a lot of the impact energy, slowing the car down "gently"; while the final, largest impact, was with the tyre wall, which deformed and acted as a cushion for the car, meaning the severity of the accident, although race ending, was no where near as great as it might appear.

However the driver's cockpit was left intact, and none of the impacts were severe enough to do McNish any real damage. When I saw that crash on the TV I could tell McNish would probably be fine, and I was far more worried for the bank of photographers behind the barrier, in case they might have been hit by debris. Fortunately they weren't.

Simonsen had a heavy impact effectively with a tree, with the car coming to a very sudden stop from about 100MPH; and I could tell, I am afraid to say, that when I saw the crash I knew he wasn't going to be in a good way. Alas, he was far worse off than one would hope in this modern safety age.

RIP Allan

These were my thoughts, too. It was a tragic error because of a misplaced tree. But no way the guy who planted it would know how his work would impact Motor Sports.
This is also a heads-up to track-makers. To be fair, though, recently constructed tracks carry more and more safety measures, and attempt to address all possible risks.

Allan will always be missed.

Back