2016 Nissan Sentra Facelift | NISMO Variant Debut

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 209 comments
They dump the already eco-tuned MR20DE for a smaller engine that only gets 40 mpg despite dropping 25 horses compared to the staus quo? (Hyundai et al, 150+ from their 1.8-2.0s) Uhhh...

That front end is a mess. i don't like the stickered on grille on the Lexus, i like it even less here... And the headlights aren't doing the outrageously swoopy front fenders justice. That grille to headlight alignment just looks all kinds of awful, too.

Don't get me wrong... It's not horrid per se, but the front end reeks of amateur design.

Gotta love their idea of saddling every model (except the base model) with the CVT, especially the "sporty" SR. However, if they were to make a SE-R model with a more powerful engine and available 6-speed, then it wouldn't be as bad.

Wow that is hideous... (no offense to people who like it). Why is it so hard to design a good looking sedan these days? Everything looks so fat and ugly, and the cars became so similar to each other so now manufacturers need to put huge badges on the front to differentiate them, or put random creases and lines on the sides to make the car seem interesting. During the past 10 years there has been so much advancement in technology and safety, and yet cars became so ugly, especially sedans...

I'm tired, sorry for the rant...

They dump the already eco-tuned MR20DE for a smaller engine that only gets 40 mpg despite dropping 25 horses compared to the staus quo? (Hyundai et al, 150+ from their 1.8-2.0s) Uhhh...

And the MR20DE/CVT already feels completely, totally gutless next to everything else I've driven in the segment. Sides maybe the Civic which was 9 kinds of awful in other regards as well.

How incredibly boring. I guess I'm just not seeing what the upside is with this against the onslaught of excellent small cars in this segment. Are they springing for the softened, middle-aged buyer like they did with the Altima? Is it going to be price-competitive? Everything has gotten so good, I'm just not sure if this is good enough.

I'd rather have a Dart or a Cruze over this, the engine is appearing to be a step back and the styling isn't appealing at all. The weight savings are the only features to be celebrated.

I would take the torque figure with a grain of salt though, I wonder why the manufactures insist in publishing the max torque and power figures without showing at which rpm range they occur. Just show us a dyno graph and we can make a much more informed and thought out criticism. :irked:

After all, having better low-end torque is much better for pottering around town than the extra 20 hp that is always near the redline...

Seeing as my parents own a 2011 one. The cars nice, very underrated.. beet the 2011 jeta we were gona get by miles

The CVT is, by far, the best transmission in the price bracket, but everything else, interior plastics, engine power, looks... not great compared to the other Japanese compacts.

To be fair, Nissan has been packing in a lot of equipment for not a whole lot of money. It's why the Altima has/had been selling so well, and it's likely why I see so many of the new Versas running around.

According to Nissan:

The all-new 2013 Nissan Sentra will come in seven colors! With so many choices, it's hard to decide! Which will you choose?

292722_10152155520940375_960516885_n.jpg

Umm, 7 colors? :odd:

Only color I see is Red.

I agree, Nissan's Marketing division is really pushing it. My mum is always complaining about dull coloured cars, so much so that she demanded that our next car be an interesting colour, and it is. Hey marketing people, are you listening?

I think it's just too common with modern cars to simply be painted with such dull colours :grumpy:

The all-new 2013 Nissan Sentra will come in seven colors! With so many choices, it's hard to decide! Which will you choose?

That kind of reminds me of PD's claim of 1000+ cars for some reason :sly:

I think the main reason car companies pick more plain and basic colors is because they're safe colors. If they went with more interesting colors then they wouldn't appeal to as many people, and therefore won't sell very well. That's why cars usually come in the usual 50 shades of gray. Because while not everyone may love gray as a car color, at least most people won't hate it.

Nissan's new trend of making a big bulgy front end, then visibly lowering the belt line when the cabin comes along is just ugly. I'm not a fan of the new Altima, which looks blander on the inside before, and gaudy on the outside, and the Sentra is much the same. However, it's an improvement over the dorky little thing that was the last Sentra, but it just a little too tall again. But the interior looks vastly better than the Altima and the last Sentra, but I hate how Nissan is trying to be so upscale at a specific price point. In the end, it just seems like they're trying too hard, and the cars aren't any more appealing than the competition.

astrosdude91
I think the main reason car companies pick more plain and basic colors is because they're safe colors. If they went with more interesting colors then they wouldn't appeal to as many people, and therefore won't sell very well. That's why cars usually come in the usual 50 shades of gray. Because while not everyone may love gray as a car color, at least most people won't hate it.

At least a real Blue!

I think the main reason car companies pick more plain and basic colors is because they're safe colors.

Silver and white are among the best-selling colors annually, having variants of either are safe choices for average consumers. Still, that shouldn't stop them from doing the basic blues, reds, yellows and so on. Bronze and brown are on the up-and-up, I still haven't seen many companies bring those colors to the affordable models.

Nissan's new trend of making a big bulgy front end, then visibly lowering the belt line when the cabin comes along is just ugly. I'm not a fan of the new Altima, which looks blander on the inside before, and gaudy on the outside, and the Sentra is much the same. However, it's an improvement over the dorky little thing that was the last Sentra, but it just a little too tall again. But the interior looks vastly better than the Altima and the last Sentra, but I hate how Nissan is trying to be so upscale at a specific price point. In the end, it just seems like they're trying too hard, and the cars aren't any more appealing than the competition.

Not much anyone can do about the bulging. A tall engine bay is often necessary for pedestrian safety requirements.

I like the low belt-line idea. It masks the visual heft, the porkiness below the belt, of modern cars.

Not much anyone can do about the bulging. A tall engine bay is often necessary for pedestrian safety requirements.

I wonder, is there any source which explains how exactly is making cars fat and bulky helping pedestrians? I tried searching a bit on google but found pretty much nothing. And this rule obviously doesn't apply to all cars, so perhaps it isn't mandatory? IMO it's the biggest reason modern cars are ugly but I've never seen any info on how exactly it helps the pedestrian.

It's not the bulk. It's having the hood high enough so that the pedestrian doesn't sink through it and crack their skull open on the engine.

You want a lower hood? Lower the engine. Want it even lower? Make the manifolds out of plastic, so those break instead of some random biker's cranium. Never mind that the plastic will cook itself to death in a few years, that's your problem. If "Fast and the Furious" had been filmed today, the line would be "You're lucky you didn't blow up your intake manifold..."

intakemanifold.jpg

You want it even lower? Put airbags or explosive releases under the hood, to pop it open when you hit a pedestrian. Works real fine. Pedestrians are safer. Bikers are safer. Hitting random traffic cones or small animals causes your expensive aluminum hood to pop up and buckle. Whoops.

jaguar-xkseries-229551040502.jpg

Yes, the system is supposed to detect the difference between a traffic cone and a pedestrian, but at a recent track day here, it didn't.

-

Want to save yourself the trouble? Make the hood high enough so you have a half-a-foot of clearance between the hood and the engine. That's why a lot of new cars have tall engine bays.

^ Thanks for the explanation. But still, I hope manufacturers will focus on improving those hood airbags instead of being lazy and ruining the proportions of the car. Then again, most people actually like this new look so i doubt this will change anytime soon.

Hood airbags have their issues. One being that you can say bye-bye to the hood after hitting a small animal big enough to trigger it.

People don't necessarily like tall hoods, but as small cars get taller to give more headroom for less wheelbase, they are forced to accept it, anyway.

Quick search got me this:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/11/nissan-sentra-nismo-concept-at-the-2013-la-auto-show.html

Based on the brand's less than impressive compact car, the Sentra NISMO's specs inspire some confidence. The Sentra NISMO rides on a sport-tuned suspension and 19-inch aluminium-alloy wheels with red-painted Brembo-brand brake calipers. Under the hood is the Juke NISMO's turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder; it makes 240 horsepower in this application, a definite step up from the production Sentra's anemic 130-hp, 1.8-liter four cylinder. A six-speed manual is the sole transmission.

Nissan, MAKE THIS CAR.

Back