2018 Formula 1 launchesFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 294 comments

However, I've worked it out....

gqMLuBFD

I'm loving the Mclaren livery. I actually quite like the bits of blue, although the side does look even more bare despite addiadditi sponsorship.

Can't wait to see it in action though. Fingers crossed for a much improved season.

Last edited:
The team destined to finish last. :lol:

They have gone backwards every year since 2012. :ouch:
I honestly see them finishing in the top 3 of the championship this year. It'll be a big year for them, maybe one or two race wins if the cards fall in the right place.

The McLaren looks to me like the cleanest and best looking car. Too bad they have the 2nd worst engine, and while they may move up the speed charts, they will probably not finish a number of races.:grumpy:

Glad they finally went with the Orange but the Blue ruins it. As has been said it looks like Irn-Bru. White and Orange would have been a better combo.

Have to say, that Mclaren looks amazing. Really looking forward to seeing it battle with Red Bull and Renault

I look forward to seeing it struggle for 1 or 2 points per race, AGAIN. :lol:

I think it is just exposed Carbon Fibre on the inside of the turning vane. This view seems to how one forward opening only, with the top one as last season.
scuderia-ferrari-sf71h-f1_827x511_81519314949.jpg

So far, this is the only car where the halo doesn't look weird (IMO). Hope it can keep up with the Mercedes this year.

Looks pretty good in this shot IMO.

DWtJgwlX4AAe4yz.jpg:large

That's a really nice livery, clean and simple. Mclaren's liveries have been crying out for a bit of colour in recent times, so I'm glad they've bought back the Papaya orange, and with the Metallic Blue it works really nicely.

Between the new MCl33 and the Sauber, they're the best looking cars so far, sure the Halo kind of ruins and sticks out like a sore thumb, but the "how ugly is the Halo" boat has sailed, and it's here to stay (for now) so hey-ho, plus Sauber have the right idea with it. Either way, let's see how the Toro Rosso and Force India turn out now.

I'd say worst one in photos is the McLaren, but I suspect it'll actually look really good zipping around a track (and seriously McLaren...if you don't get a genuine sponsor, at least put "MCLAREN" down the side of the car or something...that dead space is awful). I'm all about the blue/orange combo. It's nice seeing something we haven't seen in a looong time. I get really tired of the rather boring colour schemes on most of the F1 cars.

Orange and Blue...The two best colours! Reminds me of the glorious 12th of July! Will take time to get used to McLarens this colour but fanatstic looking.

The merchandise this year should be outstanding.

their winglets are on the side pod rather then next to it though, they also have a tiny side pod intake which is an advantage drag wise.

I agree with this, also if you look close the barge board setup they use doesn't have stuff going super high around the side pods but lower, while they have more forward strakes and bargeboard stuff on the bulkhead area of the car to seemingly clean up the air flow toward the side pod inlet and over the top where their lined up vortex generating (plates?) are. The lower area of flow toward the diffuser seems to be where most of the barge board aero is navigated toward, and there seems to be plenty on the turning vanes too.

They seem to have taken a minimalist approach with the car, I have no doubt that their main aero man, has it all under control. Since he is a Newey prodigy, and similar to the RBR being simpler and more smooth, McLaren took that approach even more so.

Is anyone else cringing at the "#BeBrave" hashtag? OK, F1 drivers aren't of faint heart, but it just comes off as trying too hard.

Getting slightly away for a brief moment from the livery, F1 is like a bad relationship with a beautiful woman for me. You can't live with her but you can't live without her. You can't bear the bad points but you can't help but want to go back time and time again and give it another crack and try to make it up with her.

Aside from the great pace they have now and the great differences in aerodynamic technology and what is great for me, the fact I think they are recognising more youth talent like Lando Norris (who I know from the Ginette Junior Championship) what about the actual nitty-grity of it - the action. Is F1 worth using my power of sight on it? And also if you don't have Sky how else can one watch it?

This is just a question I cannot find an appropriate thread on GTPlanet to put it on. But one that really needs answering.

I have loads of good books and mainly DVD's on it from when I was last into it. I also have some good memories. So there is something there in me. I just need to be won back.

Last edited:
Is F1 worth using my power of sight on it?

I've been watching F1 since it's been on TV, sometime in the mid-sixties for me. But I caught the bug even earlier, in magazines and books, and watching numerous F1 heroes like Graham Hill, Dan Gurney and Pedro Rodriguez race sports cars at my local circuit. And I've personally watched F1 races at Long Beach and Dallas. My conclusion is that enthusiasm for investing your power of sight won't always be rewarded by nitty gritty on-track action. Like your compromised woman, boring processions and equipment failures are your constant companions.

The McLaren looks good, but it looks like it is lacking a lot of aero intricacies other top teams have incorporated into their designs.
Is it just me or is there another intake near the sidepod? Not the one on top that was present the last year too.
No it's not an inlet, it's there to facilitate the airflow to the back of the car.

Some things I like about the McLaren:
- I can see, for the time being, the shapely contours of the side pods more easily than on the other cars.
- The traditional McLaren colors arouse numerous fond memories.
- The "33" in the MCL33 reminds me of the Lotus 33, an iconic championship-winning car in F1 and Tasman series. And I won 3 karting championships running the number 33. :odd:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back