2023/24 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 447 comments
He also wants control over Football operations, which I can get on board with.
Yeah, I've read that too. Only time will tell how good this will be for United, but I cannot imagine that it will be wose than the years of Glazer ownership has been. I think it will be important to remove all of the bankers and get the right people into the key positions and to start renovating the stadium and improving the trianing facilities as early as possible.

Have you seen the car he's built?!
Sure, he hasn't set the world on fire with Niece, which is a bit of a worry, but United, Niece and that other club he owns are very different vehicles and he has had more success with teams outside of football. One can hope that it simply cannot be as bad as we've had it under the Glazers and I'm inclinded to think it won't be, albeit not naive enough to think anything is certain.

Who is brought in to manage the key positions will make or break his ownership IMO. If it's mates rates, as it was with the Glazers brining in all their banker friends, then we probably wont see much change. If he brings in experienced people from other clubs with track records of doing their respective jobs well, then we should start to see improvement on and off the field.

Last edited:
They have actually been doing quite well with Nice over the years, they are a good club who have qualified for Europe a few times and they sit top of Ligue Un after a good start to the season. There has been some criticism over the ownership there but its mostly been positive.

They do own another club too but that hasn't been going well, its Swiss side Lausanne and they have been relegated from the Swiss Super League twice since Ineos came in.

So the latest international break is pretty much done. Spain, Scotland, England, France, Belgium, Denmark, Turkey, Austria, Portugal and Hungary have all qualified for next summer's Euros. The tragic news however was that two Swedish fans were killed in an apparent terrorist attack in Belgium before their away game there, the match was abandoned at half time after the news broke and the players didn't want to continue.

Elsewhere Newcastle's Sandro Tonali is facing a betting investigation in Italy after apparently betting on games when he was playing for AC Milan, he recently withdrew from the Italy squad and is co-operating with Italian prosecutors, Its been reported that Tonali has admitted that he has a gambling addiction.

Not sure about Hungary, Serbia can definitely finish ahead of them, and Montenegro have to win both games as Hungary lose both and have a net gain of +10 goal difference.

Also it's amazing to see both Luxembourg and Kazakhstan sitting in 3rd place respectively in their groups, two relative minnows having a great campaign

I just looked at the qualifying format and... what the hell?

This is why I hate the Nations League. Well, not only this, but also this.

Here are the games for the weekend as they return from the break.

Saturday
Bournemouth v Wolves
Brentford v Burnley
Chelsea v Arsenal (5.30 Sky)
Liverpool v Everton (12.30 TNT)
Man City v Brighton
Newcastle v Crystal Palace
Nottingham Forest v Luton
Sheffield United v Man United (8pm Sky)

Sunday.
Aston Villa v West Ham (4.30 Sky)

Monday
Tottenham v Fulham (8pm Sky)

Very sad news to report. Bobby Charlton has passed :(
This leaves Sir Geoff Hurst as the sole survivor from the '66 final.
Man this is so heartbreaking Geoff Hurst must be feeling alone.

Michael Caine at 90 even talked about how most of his friends passed away and said he basically feels alone.

Rest in peace to a Football great. Sir Bobby Charlton was Manchester United. Both cant be divorced.

Very sad about Sir Bobby, genuinely the best footballer England has ever had and possibly for United as well. A fantastic ambassador for both club and country and one of the all time greats. :(

Very sad news to report. Bobby Charlton has passed :(
This leaves Sir Geoff Hurst as the sole survivor from the '66 final.
Sad news indeed, RIP Sir Bobby Charlton.

I found a picture of him in my building at Glasgow Uni, with some of my friends in the shot as well.

80FF1F4B-AB55-40FA-8972-1573BC5DC666.jpeg

Very sad about Sir Bobby, genuinely the best footballer England has ever had and possibly for United as well. A fantastic ambassador for both club and country and one of the all time greats. :(
After the Munich disaster, Manchester United was teetering to a collapse. Their brightest generation wiped out.

Matt Busby and Bobby Charlton had such a task to bring back Manchester United. Inspiring thing is how they won the European Cup.

Tragic story with a feel good ending. A true legend.

Premier League have recommended for Everton to be given a 12 point deduction for their FFP charge, worth pointing out that it is their only charge whilst Man City have 115 charges which hasn't been resolved, its been very quiet on that front for a while.

Its also been revealed that Newcastle's Sandro Tonali will get a 10-month ban for betting/gambling charges during his time at AC Milan, he betted on his team to win game in which he was playing and he has been diagnosed to have an addiction. He will miss the rest of the season plus Euro 2024 and will return in August, He was Newcastle's marquee signing in the summer having joined for £62 million.

Last edited:
Premier League have recommended for Everton to be given a 12 point deduction for their FFP charge, worth pointing out that it is their only charge whilst Man City have 115 charges which hasn't been resolved, its been very quiet on that front for a while.

Its also been revealed that Newcastle's Sandro Tonali will get a 10-month ban for betting/gambling charges during his time at AC Milan, he betted on his team to win game in which he was playing and he has been diagnosed to have an addiction. He will miss the rest of the season plus Euro 2024 and will return in August, He was Newcastle's marquee signing in the summer having joined for £62 million.
So a 1380 point deduction for City then? Manchester Sunday League North Division 2?

Gutting about Tonali, but at the same time, hadn't seen enough of him to know if we'll miss him other than extra depth. Still, hope he gets through his diagnosis and works to come back better than ever.

Last edited:
If Everton do get that point deduction then that will be them relegated at the end of the season surely.

I can see them staying up without it but not with it.

Sandro Tonali still available for Newcastle for their game at Wolves, Italian FA haven't confirmed his ban.

If a player has a gambling addiction, surely you ban them from betting? I don't see how a ban from playing helps anyone. Only ban them from playing if they had been betting on their own team to lose, and then they score a dodgy own goal.

If they're betting on games they're not involved in, or on their own team to win, at worst that's insider knowledge which is a betting company issue, not a footballing one.

As far as I know he had been betting on his team to win, whilst also playing in those games.

Tonali is no longer available for tomorrow games as his ban has been confirmed by FIFA, so it starts now. I also agree that bans from playing helps anyone, its an illness and should be treated that way. what good does a ban really do?

Looks like an unbelievable game in the Bundesliga today.

3 red cards in the first half (1 for Bayern and 2 for Darmstadt) and 0-0 at half-time.

In the second half, Bayern scored 8 goals. 2 for Sane, 2 for Musiala, 1 for Muller and 3 for Kane - including a goal from his own half, which landed perfectly in the base of the net. Unbelievable two halves of football.

Last edited:
Kane has had a brilliant start in Munich, 14 goals in 10 games.

The Clasico was on earlier too between Barcelona and Real Madrid, Gundogan opened the scoring but two Bellingham goals got Real the win and the equaliser was a cracker, Bellingham has been incredible since he joined.

Balon D'or ceremony is tonight, Messi is expected to win it which would be his eighth, Haaland probably the only other who could win it.

Balon D'or ceremony is tonight, Messi is expected to win it which would be his eighth, Haaland probably the only other who could win it.

Messi is only in the frame to win because of the World Cup. For that reason I don’t think he should be winning it because Haaland was absolutely outstanding, consistently, all through the year.

Messi is only in the frame to win because of the World Cup. For that reason I don’t think he should be winning it because Haaland was absolutely outstanding, consistently, all through the year.
It has historically tended to go to a player who won the Champions League. Although that often meant either Messi or Ronaldo were eligible anyway!
If it goes to Messi, everyone will know it's more down to UEFA "nepotism" where only they're "favourites" are awarded anything (but we know that already).

The best player in Europe last year was Haaland. Full stop. No further discussion to be had. (And this is from a Chelsea supporter). Any other result is utter bollocks.

PS The way things are going, Bellingham should win next year. But he's English, so that won't happen either...

Last edited:
Back