Gran Turismo World Series 2024 Thread

• Thread starter Pfei
  • 11,941 comments
I just watched some top replays in McLaren VGT on Le Mans and noticed how they keep holding minimal brake input throughout the lap. Looks like abusing hybrid system to load it more. Seems sketchy to me.

Remind me, did the weather show up during Free Practice on Suzuka? I'm still trying to figure out what they have planned for us next weekend at Nords. I think the way they set up the Suzuka weather was different than the usual system, since it was exactly the same for everyone.
Keeping in mind time constraints for a race that will go an hour and 25 minutes (give or take) under perfect conditions, I think there's only a couple of logical ways they can incorporate weather... which they should!!

scenario 1). Qualifying is on a wet track that just got side-swiped by a cell. It'll be up to us to decide if we qualify on full wets, or inters. Based on our personal judgments from qually, we then have to decide once again, wether to start the race on wets or inters. The crossover to dry tires will be a judgment call at the end of lap 2 or 3

scenario 2). Qualifying and race is bone dry, (although a slow-moving cell is showing itself on the pre-race radar 50 miles out when the slider hits "current weather")

.....then a cell only hits part of the course around lap 7-8. It then becomes of a judgment call on when/if you take intermediate tires - taking into account that most of the track will be dry and/or dry tires territory...... albeit, most everyone will be nursing worn tires.

Scenario 2 will probably be the most feasible time-wise for PD, since the race can just time out after the leaders have finished, and the race cam just end. In either of these scenarios, it will require the player to pay attention to both the pre-race radars, and we'll have to take in account the entire spectrum and zoom options that the in race radar provides.

But hell, even a dry race will lend itself to lots of strategy options 😎

I just hope PD figures out the servers. I think a lot of people are looking forward to this one. I already took the day off work, just to be able to participate!!!!

I just hope PD figures out the servers. I think a lot of people are looking forward to this one. I already took the day off work, just to be able to participate!!!!
And I am one of them! Unfortunately, my later-afternoon and evening are already booked but hoping to get one or two in before then. Maybe an EMEA GT1 at 10:00 and go from there.

Looking forwards to the Le Mans round (if the game is fixed by then, not holding out much hope), I'm thinking of using the LM55 (boo, VGT! Ban it!). Can't be bothered with managing a hybrid over that long a race, and I prefer that newer Mazda over the old 787B

I gave Nations one try on Saturday. Can’t say I’m disappointed with this result. Absolutely no server issues, which appears to have been a rare occurrence for this race.
548556B3-5721-43AD-B104-CB95D87EC0C5.jpeg

Mixed Lobby with good points for GT2. I did 1H, 10M, 9S strategy. I found that to be good for me in the 2 practice races I did with the PHG crew, so I stuck with it for the actual race.
CD64F3B9-183B-479D-B8BF-759331B01C66.jpeg

Looking forwards to the Le Mans round (if the game is fixed by then, not holding out much hope), I'm thinking of using the LM55 (boo, VGT! Ban it!). Can't be bothered with managing a hybrid over that long a race, and I prefer that newer Mazda over the old 787B
I'm thinking this too. I haven't driven the Gr.1 LM55, but I loved the feeling of the base one at the High Speed Ring TT, so if it's remotely similar to drive (and I can't think why it wouldn't be!) then it's a very appealing choice to me.

2023/4 GTWS Exhibition Season 1 – Nations’ Cup R2 – Lago Maggiore Full Circuit (Normal Direction)

GT2 League - Mid-B / S Lobby – 110pts to winner

Quoth Norbs at the end of Round 1:
“The X2019 is far too quick for an old geezer like me so I’ll see how I take to it in practice before I even decide whether or not to enter”

Well, this time I actually owned the car in question (although I don’t recall buying it at all), so, after applying a late-80s Le Mans Jaguar livery I was able to carry out something akin to my normal GTWS preparation – first get used to the track / car combo in Free Practice mode, then set up a Custom Race against the AI to gauge tyre wear and determine a “thereabouts” strategy, then hit the lobbies and join or set up rooms for full-length race practices. It became apparent very quickly that, in the GT2 20-lap race length, only 1 lap would need to be on RH to satisfy the regulations, and that RS would last for at least 10 laps for me before the tyres fell off to sub-RM levels, so the strategy became centred around 10S/9M/1H, but in which order?

The slipstream didn’t seem nearly so important as at Deep Forest, so I thought maintaining a clear track for yourself without losing time passing or being passed by other cars would be key to a good run, as having to go 2 abreast through T1-4, or pretty much any of the lap after T5 would cost chunks of time. (I also noticed how much you could ride the kerbs without a penalty – it seemed that you could escape the Red Rectangle Of Doom as long as you were within a time zone or so of the tarmac). Therefore, I decided that, as I didn’t want to have a messy end to the race by pitting for RH on lap 19 and trundling round to the end on RH as everyone was diving for last-gasp position gains, I’d go as follows depending on qualifying position:

PLAN A: Qualify 5th or higher – 10S/1H/9M
PLAN B: Qualify 6th-12th – 9M/1H/10S
PLAN C: Qualify 13th or lower – 1H/9M/10S

I also decided that a worthwhile approach to get a good race position would be to – well – be a wuss. Yes, BE a wuss – notch up the assists a bit – I spend my time in GT7 normally in Gr3/Gr4 cars, with the occasional stint in a detuned Gr2 for WTC800 races when I feel the need for cash, so, with the X2019 feeling so tail-happy that if I parked it outside a newsagent’s it would be facing the other way when I came out of the shop, I was more than willing to up TCS by a notch. (Top Tip: If you do this, do it in your Assist Settings then change back after you finish with the round. It saves having to do it in the MFD every time and risk forgetting at a crucial stage).

This would probably leave me in a poor qualifying position (but hey, I’m old and slow and use a controller), but aid me in the task of doing 20 laps in this thing, sometimes on worn, or cold, or hard tyres, without messing it up. We would see.

I didn’t think I’d be able to make the first European race slot at 9am UK time as I had an early appointment, but that finished at 8:30 so I was able to get home, fire up the PS and register my entry with 45 seconds to go 😊 However…. My lobby got “Update 1.38’d” and – well – the track model is very pretty, isn’t it? Just as well as I was staring at it for 40 minutes or so before resetting. I did a few more laps in Custom Race to get used to starting on the RMs – I felt that plan B was the most likely – and almost forgot how long it takes to exit World Circuits and fire up Sport Mode on a PS4 – this time I registered my entry with TWELVE seconds to go – phew.

My RS times in practice led me to think that a 1:34 in Qualifying would be respectable, so after leaving the pit lane as soon as it opened (in contrast to rd1), laying back a bit on the out lap to gain space and going for it through the last corner I started my flying lap only to be greeted by a late starter starting their out lap as I started my flying lap. Get past them then go again – my second flying lap was 1:34.7 and I couldn’t improve on my final lap. Q9 – I was surprised at how low I was but felt better when the grid flythrough showed me to be Door #12 so I’d beaten my ranking at least. Plan B it was then – start on RM, do your RH “Joker Lap” in the middle and then RS to the end.

Lights out and away we go (GT2 didn’t have False Start Check, cars were released when the lights went out).

Setting a higher TCS paid immediate dividends as I made up a few places while others were wheelspinning. Nice and steady round T1, stay to the right of the bunch. Hug the kerb through T2, another clean acceleration means I’m up to P4 and I can take the line through T3, especially as that car in front has twitched sideways – now they’re over-correcting – now they’ve slewed across the track and knocked me onto the grass on the left (outside) of the approach to T4. Drat. Double Drat. Didn’t hit the barrier and thankfully that nice big red bit of tarmac on the outside of the exit of T4 means I can get going relatively quickly and rejoin safely, but not only has my good start gone I’m now P12. However that means I’m now down with the RH starters – I make up a couple of places through T5 and The Esses due to superior grip, get past a car being penalised over the brow (that’s scary when you crest the brow going Harry Flatters and see a slow car right in front of you, even though it’s ghosted), easy through BBB (never really got the hang of that – it would be a weak point all race), and at least I’d regained my qualifying position of 9th by the end of lap 1 – which became 7th when a couple more RH-starters dived into the pits. My RM stint was then quite quiet, passed another car who’d decided to do a whole stint on RH for some reason (or just hadn’t practiced on RM at all and was slow on them) and passed a couple of spinners out of the tight corners – P4 as I pitted for my RH lap. The whole stop-slow lap-stop cycle pushed me back down to 13th or so even though others stopped at the same time, then I began to make places as RS starters pitted after 11 or 12 laps (really wringing out those RS tyres) and passed 2 or 3 cars that were now on RM – gratifying as it was then clear I’d kept up with them on RM when they were on RS. With 2 laps to go I passed an RM runner to get into the top 5, but with P4 7 seconds or so up the road I’d have to hope that they either made an error or their tyres became completely cooked – neither happened so I crossed the line in 5th (96 pts) my 50th top 5 finish in Sport Mode and not bad from door #12.

No-one above me had the 1-minute Wait Of Shame from mis-reading the tyre regs, although a couple of drivers further down the order did.

Good round this – I thought I’d hate it due to the car’s quickness and unfamiliarity with the circuit (I know it often appears in dailies but I’ve never fancied it so haven’t entered), but being a wuss with the assists tamed the car a bit (still had to be careful with the throttle, especially out of T2 and BBB), and being able to do a fair bit of Practice meant I was comfortable with the track before race day (after the race was over I capitalised on my newly-acquired track knowledge by finally getting gold on the final Human Comedy mission race). Everyone drove well and sensibly – perhaps the lightning-quick reactions of the car meant people were less inclined to go for over-optimistic moves, and more able to avoid them when they did happen.

Next round for the Nations’ kind-of encompasses the two rounds so far – absurdly quick powerful cars on a slipstreamers’ dream of a track. Again this isn’t my normal thing but if I can get a handle on a half-decent strategy and do a lot of Practice then we might – just might – avoid disaster. Maybe.

In the meantime I should be able to finally enter Manufacturers’ cup at N24 this coming Saturday – probably the only round in this series I can do, so I can optimise my car choice for this round. Any recommendations for a controller user (motion-sense steering) who likes stable cars?

Last edited:
Keeping in mind time constraints for a race that will go an hour and 25 minutes (give or take) under perfect conditions, I think there's only a couple of logical ways they can incorporate weather... which they should!!

scenario 1). Qualifying is on a wet track that just got side-swiped by a cell. It'll be up to us to decide if we qualify on full wets, or inters. Based on our personal judgments from qually, we then have to decide once again, wether to start the race on wets or inters. The crossover to dry tires will be a judgment call at the end of lap 2 or 3

scenario 2). Qualifying and race is bone dry, (although a slow-moving cell is showing itself on the pre-race radar 50 miles out when the slider hits "current weather")

.....then a cell only hits part of the course around lap 7-8. It then becomes of a judgment call on when/if you take intermediate tires - taking into account that most of the track will be dry and/or dry tires territory...... albeit, most everyone will be nursing worn tires.

Scenario 2 will probably be the most feasible time-wise for PD, since the race can just time out after the leaders have finished, and the race cam just end. In either of these scenarios, it will require the player to pay attention to both the pre-race radars, and we'll have to take in account the entire spectrum and zoom options that the in race radar provides.

But hell, even a dry race will lend itself to lots of strategy options 😎

I'm curious as to how much of an advantage the 4WD cars like the Bugatti, LM55 and 919 might have in if the race gets really wet. Would full wet tires be enough to save the old school Gr1 cars or would it neuter their high HP advantage.

I'm thinking this too. I haven't driven the Gr.1 LM55, but I loved the feeling of the base one at the High Speed Ring TT, so if it's remotely similar to drive (and I can't think why it wouldn't be!) then it's a very appealing choice to me.
I used it for a round at Interlagos and it was good fun. You just have to accept that the hybrids, especially the Porsche, will crush you initially out of the slower speed corners but it pulls away by the end of the straights.

Did a practice stint @ LeMans in the R92CP. For me anyway it looks like a set of RS will last about 10 laps and a full tank of fuel 12.

Now I'll try a test race in the rain and compare some laptimes between this and a couple of 4WD cars and see if there's much of a difference.

EDIT: so just a quick seat of the pants test, set the weather to R05 which is basically middle of the meter rain. Ran three laps to let the tires (IM) get up to proper temps and timed the 3rd lap.

R92CP - 3:40.1
Hyundai - 3:34.6

Take from that what you will should your race look to be predominantly wet :cheers:

Last edited:
I just jumped in to turn a few laps. Seems like the majority of folks are going with the R92CP and so far that's what I turned my fastest lap with (48th in the world so far, woohoo). As far as tires its RS only for dry and the other 2 for wets....so at least the only choice you need to make for tires is wet or dry.

Looking at the tuning options it lets you manipulate suspension, downforce and brake balance from what I can see. I'm not sure how much playing off the baselines will help especially with downforce. Tried playing with both the R92CP and the 919. The Hybrids get murdered on top speed, and the more you reduce downforce to try and pick up some more MPH on the top end the more you sacrifice in cornerspeed. On this initial go around I'm about 1 second slower per lap in the 919 than the Nissan, but I did have to lower the Porsche's DF a bit so it's top speed on Mulsane wouldn't be totally pathetic.

What will be interesting here is if and how wet the actual race is. If the race gets soaked than I can see the 4WD hybrids having a distinct advantage for obvious reasons.
Yeah I did a few laps on Sunday to see what’s what.
I tried the Mclaren VGT as I saw Gallo was the fastest at the time. Not a bad car, top end speed ok and through the corners it has ok downforce. Made a few small changes but didn’t really improve my time. 3.30 I think it was.
I then tried that R92CP and damm that think is rapid on the straights but the corners are where I struggle. Ended up with the same time as the McLaren.

At that point I decided I’m just going to go for a Hybrid car. I’d rather be safer in the corners and lose a little bit of straight line speed.
So on that I’m going with the Toyota GR10. My fastest lap time was 3.27 on my first attempt with no setup. Top speed hits 200mphs and is not far off the R92CP bit also through the corners its grippy and makes up time.
Might test a few other hybrid but I don’t think anything will come close on the top end speed then the GR10.

Im thinking it’s going to be a weather race. The seatings just seem tailored to some wet running.

I refuse to use a Group C as that's what the majority does at Le Mans so I'll gamble with the LM55. The thing can be a true weapon but needs crazy toe settings to rotate around the corners.

If it rains it's going to be very, very interesting.

I've never been good with tuning the suspension adjustments, so I'm not quite sure what direction to go with there. So far I'm playing with the cars' downforce and trying to lower it as much as possible (to maximize acceleration and top speed on the long straights) until the car becomes unstable going into/through the right hander @ Indianapolis and Porsche esses, those seem to be the 2 big problem areas.....and then adding just a bit more back so it isn't 😂

Last edited:
Yeah I did a few laps on Sunday to see what’s what.
I tried the Mclaren VGT as I saw Gallo was the fastest at the time. Not a bad car, top end speed ok and through the corners it has ok downforce. Made a few small changes but didn’t really improve my time. 3.30 I think it was.
I then tried that R92CP and damm that think is rapid on the straights but the corners are where I struggle. Ended up with the same time as the McLaren.

At that point I decided I’m just going to go for a Hybrid car. I’d rather be safer in the corners and lose a little bit of straight line speed.
So on that I’m going with the Toyota GR10. My fastest lap time was 3.27 on my first attempt with no setup. Top speed hits 200mphs and is not far off the R92CP bit also through the corners its grippy and makes up time.
Might test a few other hybrid but I don’t think anything will come close on the top end speed then the GR10.

Im thinking it’s going to be a weather race. The seatings just seem tailored to some wet running.
GR10 is good if not a bit of a barge for me. However with tuning on that natural understeer should be able to be dialled back.

I've never been good with tuning the suspension adjustments, so I'm not quite sure what direction to go with there. So far I'm playing with the cars' downforce and trying to lower it as much as possible (to maximize acceleration and top speed on the long straights) until the car becomes unstable going into/through the right hander @ Indianapolis and Porsche esses, those seem to be the 2 big problem areas.....and then adding just a bit more back so it isn't 😂
On ACC I use this setup guide to help me dial out car issues. Now I’m not sure how much of this translate to GT7 as I’ve not really looked at car setups too much, but I would assume it relates pretty much the same.

https://driver61.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Setup-Guide-OnePager-V6.png

Not sure why the image won’t load properly so have to link the site instead

GR10 is good if not a bit of a barge for me. However with tuning on that natural understeer should be able to be dialled back.
Yeah I’m not a massive fan of the car either, but I feel like its the best option available to me. Im going to gamble on the fact it’s going to rain in this race so will spend the next 10 days running this car.

Last edited:
So undecided on what to pick for Nations. Group 1 Le Mans is a combo I am utterly dreadful at so I have no expectations going in. There's something about that track that just doesn't click for me. I can hot lap it, but I think I'm far too cautious when trying to actually race on it since I always end up going backwards and falling off the back.

I was originally looking at the Alpine because you never, ever see it and the tuning seems to have brought out all sorts. I think it feels good and the straight line speed seems decent after stripping off a bit of downforce, but with no rear view mirrors or the like at all, it could be a liability in VR.

I'm currently looking at the 787B with maxed downforce because I've found a couple seconds extra pace per lap and it seems better on fuel and tyres. Then there's also the engine noise and maybe most importantly, it has mirrors! I'm just not sure I want to be in the 787B if it rains...

I'm just not sure I want to be in the 787B if it rains...
I’m praying for rain, got no hope otherwise.

Going with either the Mazda LM55 or the Hyundai. AWD, a decent amount of downforce and cruising past all the Group Cs when it buckets down. That’s the plan.

What car are you in? I feel like 3 laps on Softs should be doable for most all the cars
I’m in the Porsche. I didn’t even think 3 laps would be close to full wear. I guess I need to simulate the race and see how my style of driving works out for 3 laps on softs.

I’m in a Porsche too. 3 laps on Softs is definitely doable. It’s trying to stretch that stint to 4 laps which is difficult.

It feels like most people will go for a variation of 3S-3S-4M. But I could easily see PD putting us in a weather-induced position where we have to come up with a strategy on the fly that can encapsulate 8 dry laps. That’s where people will have to make tough decisions on stint lengths and tire compounds

Remind me, did the weather show up during Free Practice on Suzuka? I'm still trying to figure out what they have planned for us next weekend at Nords. I think the way they set up the Suzuka weather was different than the usual system, since it was exactly the same for everyone.
Suzuka did not rain in TT, we didn't know there was weather for sure in the race until the Asia/Oceania slots happened.

That was a special weather setting so that the in-race weather matched the esports race though, we don't yet know if that split in conditions between TT and race also works for regular dynamic settings.

Last edited:
Suzuka did not rain in TT, we didn't know there was weather for sure in the race until the Asia/Oceania slots happened.

That was a special weather setting so that the in-race weather matched the esports race though, we don't yet know if that split in conditions between TT and race also works for regular dynamic settings.
That's what I was thinking too. But I feel like if they have rain they're going to be using special settings again, the normal in-game system is just way too fast to actually show off the "rain on different parts of the track" feature which I'm sure they want to show off at the Nurburgring and Le Mans.
I guess a looot of people are going to be watching those early slots. For those brave 1st slot Asia/Oceania players who will be venturing into the unknown, we salute you!

Last edited:
IIRC, was t it some dudes that were doing a league race at Suzuka before the FIA slots even started….that figured out (somehow) that there would be rain, based on their own league race?

I just hope that if we do get weather, it’s slow-moving like at Suzuka. Last season’s race at NBG was a crap shoot on wether you were going to get stranded on dry tires or not. Beginning of the lap had no rain on the radar, and by mid lap it was pouring. I remember I did 3 races that day, and got screwed by the weather in all 3 of them.

Last edited:
One last thing for Le Mans next week on Nations before I focus on Manufacturers, but after testing a few cars and finding that there are some glitch setups, I feel well put off racing this race.
Watched Gallos and did some testing and basically if you ride the brake pedal you gain about an extra 20mph (32kph) on the straight. Looks like been on the brakes keeps the hybrid kicking in.
Looked at a Porsche 919 lap and it appears running min aero on the rear also boosts the car by about 20mph (32kph) on the straights, which feels a bit broken too.

Going to stick with the Toyota GR10. Found a setup that I like and was able to lap in 3.25.0

How are my fellow GT2s feeling about going to Nurb on mediums for the whole three laps or two soft and pitting?
Not done any race testing on this yet, just the TT laps.
I would assume for GT2 league softs should last the race, but I’m convinced they will be weather on this race so probs just go with soft anyway. Going to test now for GT2.

GT1 leagues I can understand why all 3 tyres available. If its dynamic weather then it opens up so many more strategies due to the tyres a available.

Edit - so done a quick 3 lap run and it's easy softs for GT2. End of the race I still had 50% tyres left.

Last edited:
IIRC, was t it some dudes that were doing a league race at Suzuka before the FIA slots even started….that figured out (somehow) that there would be rain, based on their own league race?

I just hope that if we do get weather, it’s slow-moving like at Suzuka. Last season’s race at NBG was a crap shoot on wether you were going to get stranded on dry tires or not. Beginning of the lap had no rain on the radar, and by mid lap it was pouring. I remember I did 3 races that day, and got screwed by the weather in all 3 of them.
You mean @tankuroded ? I'm pretty sure he just meant an early slot race. He's in Asia I know.

You mean @tankuroded ? I'm pretty sure he just meant an early slot race. He's in Asia I know.
These 2 might be in the same league then.

Regardless, I took the day off of work so I can race. First Oceanic slot is 3am California time. If I can stay up that late, I’m going to jump that race. I’m at work the next 3 days, so hopefully I prepared enough for whatever they throw at us.

Hopefully they’ve unscrewed the servers by then too

Edit: on second listen, he said “lower league”. FFS…I can’t understand them friggin’ Aussies 😂

At any rate, do the GT2&3 slots start before GT1 slots? I honestly haven’t paid that much attention

Last edited:
Back