2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 1,946 comments
When was the last time that the Democrats made a proper strategic decision? After Obama that is.

They're going to **** it up and hand the special orange one a second term.
The only thing more powerful than the Republican voters' ability to overlook literally anything is the DNC's ability to make bad decisions.

Gretchen Whitmer, the governor of Michigan, is a name that's being thrown around a whole bunch.

I just hope the Democrats don't do something stupid and try to replace Biden with Harris because that would be disastrous.
Newsom
Whitmer
(M) Obama

These seem to be the only plausible options. I think Newsom on the top of the ticket with either of the other two as VP would be pretty strong, though Newsom does have California baggage. I'm not sure that would hurt him with independents as much as the GOP wishes it would, but it's a thing nonetheless. I think Newsom is a more skilled debater than Whitmer or Obama and being a more attractive, same height, younger, and more articulate presence on the debate stage would really get under Trump's skin.

Newsom
Whitmer
(M) Obama

These seem to be the only plausible options. I think Newsom on the top of the ticket with either of the other two as VP would be pretty strong, though Newsom does have California baggage. I'm not sure that would hurt him with independents as much as the GOP wishes it would, but it's a thing nonetheless. I think Newsom is a more skilled debater than Whitmer or Obama and being a more attractive, same height, younger, and more articulate presence on the debate stage would really get under Trump's skin.
Ya I'm not sure how much non-conservatives care about California. Like for me, California is a state with an economy that rivals some countries, has obscene gas prices, shakes occasionally, and is where you go to the beach. I'm guessing many independents feel the same way since they don't equate California to a hell hole like conservatives do. Although the only hell hole parts of California I've been to are the conservative parts since it's nothing but a sea of meth.

A Newsom/Whitmer ticket would be pretty strong and alleviate anyone concerned with age since both are young (for politicians). I'm not sure Michelle Obama wants to get back into politics though. I mean I think she'd be a solid choice for the first female president, but I'm curious if the desire is even there.

I know the 25th amendment fairly well for a non USian but could Barack Obama inherit the office of President from the Vice Presidency?

I know the 25th amendment fairly well for a non USian but could Barack Obama inherit the office of President from the Vice Presidency?

Yup.

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

The text itself draws a distinction between "elected" and "held". This isn't a misuse of the text, it's a straight reading of it. There's no direct limit on how many times you can hold the office of the Presidency or be elected to the VP.

Last edited:
There's no direct limit on how many times you can hold the office of the Presidency or be elected to the VP.
Modern Problems Funny Gif GIF by MOODMAN

I just hope the Democrats don't do something stupid and try to replace Biden with Harris because that would be disastrous.
There was already an article released the day or so after the debate that highlighted Harris being upset her name was not being discussed amongst the party as a replacement. So, I think that indicates they won't do that.
Newsom
Whitmer
(M) Obama

All he'd have to do there is just throw in a jab that he used to bed his daughter in law.

Well, Trump probably wouldn't really care, but Donnie Jr though. :lol:
Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO

There was already an article released the day or so after the debate that highlighted Harris being upset her name was not being discussed amongst the party as a replacement. So, I think that indicates they won't do that.

All he'd have to do there is just throw in a jab that he used to bed his daughter in law.

Well, Trump probably wouldn't really care, but Donnie Jr though. :lol:
Angry Season 3 GIF by SuccessionHBO
Harris has to have some self awareness that she is not liked, right?

Gavin can say he was with Kimberly when she was still human.

I mean I think she'd be a solid choice for the first female president, but I'm curious if the desire is even there.
She would be an even better choice if not running as a Democrat but as a Liberal instead: to crash down onto the "2 party system" that has established itself in a nation that has far more options but overlooks every other choice outside of red and blue.
With that, there would be much more common grounds to find than with 2 parties that seemingly only exist to stall the other one on every occasion, so propably would run much smoother and be closer to a working government.

Harris has to have some self awareness that she is not liked, right?
Name one politician who is that self aware.

The Democrats should have known for a couple of years that Biden should be a one term president. The signs of his mental health deteriorating were there and got progressively worse. You can't drug up an 81 year old to make it through a debate. And now it's too obvious to ignore. Florida Man might be a lunatic but he's sane enough to use that against Biden and the Democrats.

I try to stay positive, and ignore most of the politics lately, but this election could be a world wide game changer, and that's no bueno because me and the missus finally have the ball rolling in the proper direction and I don't need an orange buffoon screwing the world up.

(M) Obama
If you haven't had enough, get MObama!

Seriously though, bad idea. Danoff already gave us our daily affirmation but as we all know Republicants don't give the slightest microdamn about the Constitution which means that somebody would send this straight to the Supreme Court where the 22nd Amendment would be interpreted to mean specifically that wives of two-term presidents are not allowed to be elected to the office. There would be riots in the nice part of town as suburban Republicans realize they have to take direction from a black person again.

I hope she wears the lightest tan suit she can find. Like Bahamian sand.

As for Newsom, His smile is too bright and fake for us Midwesterners. Even Ohio progressives think California has way too many rose-colored glasses for its own good. Opinions of Newsom anywhere in the middle of the country - where most people live believe it or not - are low.

Whitmer however is a nice lady. I'd vote for her.

Last edited:
that somebody would send this straight to the Supreme Court where the 22nd Amendment would be interpreted to mean specifically that wives of two-term presidents are not allowed to be elected to the office.

Didn't stop Hillary from running.

Didn't stop Hillary from running.
Fair point. But I must say, I had totally forgotten about her until now despite her running twice. Michelle is a much better person all around which makes it seem like the best idea in the world.

I don't think anyone would question that the NYT is part of the left/liberal apparatus, unofficially. Until the debate, it seemed cagey around it's support of Biden, but these two articles seemed designed to force Biden out.
The only people who think the nyt’s is a liberal organization, are republicans.
Their editorial board often strikes me as leaning more toward radical republican policies, than anything else.

Their editorial board often strikes me as leaning more toward radical republican policies, than anything else.
What? NYT is DEFINITELY left wing or left leaning, just like the WSJ is right wing or right leaning.

All the people who thought Barack Obama was a Kenyan Muslim think that Michelle Obama is a trans-woman.
No, that part of the internet definitely thinks it's a man. Mike with the bulge Obama. They love to share the shopped photo of the 2 when they were younger.

Not to mention that -- of those who consider themselves 'liberal Democrats' on a 9-point scale of 'liberal Democrats' to 'conservative Republicans' -- about two-thirds said that they trust the New York Times for their political and election news. If that many 'liberal Democrats' (I need to reiterate: the closest you could identify to left-wing in that political position rating), why do you think only republicans would think it's liberal if not actual liberals and left leaning readers?

NY Times absolutely leans left. Adfontes categorises it in Skews Left; the interactive chart places it very close to The Guardian and Al Jazeera, and is a little more towards than centre than Vox. Media Bias Fact classifies it as having a center-left bias, and All Sides rates it as 'leans left'.

Not to mention that -- of those who consider themselves 'liberal Democrats' on a 9-point scale of 'liberal Democrats' to 'conservative Republicans' -- about two-thirds said that they trust the New York Times for their political and election news. If that many 'liberal Democrats' (I need to reiterate: the closest you could identify to left-wing in that political position rating), why do you think only republicans would think it's liberal if not actual liberals and left leaning readers?

NY Times absolutely leans left. Adfontes categorises it in Skews Left; the interactive chart places it very close to The Guardian and Al Jazeera, and is a little more towards than centre than Vox. Media Bias Fact classifies it as having a center-left bias, and All Sides rates it as 'leans left'.
Cool story bro.

Wait...what? Are you confusing the NYT with the WSJ?

What? NYT is DEFINITELY left wing or left leaning, just like the WSJ is right wing or right leaning.

I peruse it often - it's a standard paper that we slap on the seat for our passengers. The NYT definitely leans left, however it also caters to big-business and wealthy individuals, not as much as FT, but it's there. I have no idea what the politics are of any of our passengers, I just know they're all some level of corporatist, and NYT seems to be one of the papers they favor. I would assume that many folks I'm carrying favor business-friendly policies above all else, regardless of party.

But this is my only real exposure to these papers, primarily the NYT, WSJ, and FT. Those are expected to be present in a corporate setting which paints me a picture that laymen aren't reading the NYT. I suppose technically it is the local newspaper over there.

This newspaper discussion highlights how nonsensical the left-right spectrum is. I still don't think it makes any sense at all and I'm curious how after that long libertarian phase many GTP members went through that we're not discussing nolan charts here instead of trying to plot the NYT on a left-right spectrum where it doesn't fit. "Liberal corporatist" makes zero sense.

Last edited:
A meeting of Democratic Governors was held to discuss plans with Biden going forward. They are electing to stand behind Biden.
Gov. Wes Moore
The president has always had our backs. We're going to have his back as well.
Gov. Gavin Newsom
I heard three words from the President tonight -- he’s all in. And so am I.

Moore said the governors were frank in relaying negative feedback from constituents about Biden's poor performance during the debate with Republican rival Donald Trump. He said there was clearly work to do before the Nov. 5 election, but Biden had made it clear he would stay in the race.
"The president ... he's our nominee. The president is our party leader," Moore said. There has been growing talk among Democrats in recent days that 81-year-old Biden should drop out of the race.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said she felt confident after the meeting and all the governors pledged their support to Biden. The president is "in it to win it," she said.

Back