Race Driver: GRID Available for Free for PC Players Until Tomorrow

My computer probably can't run it, but I can't turn up an offer for a free game.

Actually, maybe I can. Assuming Wine (which is not an emulator) can handle it.

I could make a long post about why this is the best way to spend 0€ right now, but I'll just leave this here:

If this doesn't go through your head when there's only two minutes left of an event, whether that be online, offline or real life, racing or not, there's something wrong with you and you must be cured.

Also Ravenwest aka arguably the most iconic baddie racing team ever.

I had a completely different experience with Grid and, in my opinion, even $0 is too expensive for that piece of crap. I downloaded it a couple of years ago on Steam, lured by the gorgeous graphics, the gameplay mechanics and the interesting car roster. Cars were :censored:ing undriveable, it was almost impossible for me to finish a race, let alone win it! It seemed to me too annoying and twitchy to be arcade and too artificially hard to be a simulator, the worse of both worlds.

But I'm a man who enjoyed NFS: Pro Street so, you know, take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt :lol:.

The car physics was good back in the day. Now it's like driving floaty jellos with marshmallow suspension. I'd be hard pressed to call it a simcade even. The graphics were also good back then, but the sepia filter annoys the hell out of me after 5 mins driving.

That said, the damage and career mode is one of the best there is. It's one of the few games where I really feel part of a living, breathing racing team in a world competing against other real race teams. The car and track roster is quite amazing too. Oh and the garage menu and soundtrack is bliss. And of course, the arch nemesis: Ravenwest. I still have nightmares of the last duel at Le Mans with a CCX to this day :crazy: For $0, I'd definitely pick it up 👍 You've got nothing to lose anyway.

Race Driver: GRID is a good buy and recommend it, not many racing games follow the build your own team path because it can get complicated. However, you can hire any driver that is available from the roster including the Ravenwest guys that you have a hard time on. The Touge aspect of the game is quite fun to do, and every time you crash is also a risk to your team and reputation as a driver. The sequels lack quite a lot of ground do to this aspect, but at the time the physics are not as bad as Need For Speed: Shift 2 which was like driving on ice.

It's not a sim, cars are finicky, nervous, and 'tail-happy' to be kind. It isn't a pure arcade racer like Ridge Racer though as drifting is rarely faster and different cars handle differently from each other (911 GT3 against...anything, really, shows this off). There's been games with better audio, each part and on the whole, but there's also much worse. It has faults and questionable collision detection, and the odd spots where the track doesn't register as track, but it's fast, engaging, Ravenwest cast an overbearing shadow on the career, Le Mans, and oh yes, let's not forget one of the best stress relievers I've ever had in the form of the Demo Derby races.

Damn I love this game. Shame GRID 2 is at it's best online, and Autosport just never ticked...any feelings in me. I don't have any controller for my PC, but I may take a look at this in addition to my PS3 copy.

@CarBastard I too enjoy ProStreet, but it is pretty much the antithesis to the GRID build, and I have friends who've told me much the same. It's all good though, everyone has their preferences.

Spent a lot of hours playing this game. If u haven't played it, u should pick it up. Pro tip; accelerate out of the corners fast. I posted this 7 yrs ago. LOL

Last edited:
Out of all the physics in racing games, this one is my favorite.

It's kind of a planted WipEout, especially with the F3s and prototypes. The rush you get with this game is fantastic.

Last edited:
The car physics was good back in the day. Now it's like driving floaty jellos with marshmallow suspension. I'd be hard pressed to call it a simcade even.

It wasn't even good back in the day. It never pretended to be a simulation, it was the "modern" equivalent of GT1 or GT2.

Spent a lot of hours playing this game. If u haven't played it, u should pick it up. Pro tip; accelerate out of the corners fast. I posted this 7 yrs ago. LOL

Yeah, I remembered that I posted one a while ago too. The game might not have been realistic, but it generated some damn good racing.

It wasn't even good back in the day. It never pretended to be a simulation, it was the "modern" equivalent of GT1 or GT2.

Yeah Codies has always been a simcade developer (except Dirt Rally), but I always remembered it to have reasonably drivable physics. Early this year I decided to pop the disc for old times sake, and it's nearly undrivable. Obviously my expectations have changed, having driven GAS, GT5-6, AC and other sims since 2008. Shows you how strong rose tinted glasses can be.

Let me think, I could take advantage of free time because of holiday to play my favorite SIM or download an old game that was never that good even back then because it is free, which is fairly representative of what it is worth anyway, though call!

Yeah Codies has always been a simcade developer (except Dirt Rally), but I always remembered it to have reasonably drivable physics. Early this year I decided to pop the disc for old times sake, and it's nearly undrivable. Obviously my expectations have changed, having driven GAS, GT5-6, AC and other sims since 2008. Shows you how strong rose tinted glasses can be.

Really? I only picked it up a couple of years ago (or like, two dollars or something silly) and while it took a little bit of getting used to it was perfectly driveable. Although if I remember it was a lot easier with a pad than a wheel, something about the wheel just never really worked right. No real loss though.

Let me think, I could take advantage of free time because of holiday to play my favorite SIM or download an old game that was never that good even back then because it is free, which is fairly representative of what it is worth anyway, though call!

Actually, it was and still is a pretty good game. But if you don't want to spend time on it that's your choice. Although you could knock off bashing a game that scored higher on Metacritic than both GT5 and GT6. And I think fairly so.

Metacritic isn't the be all and end all of whether something is a good game or not, but if it scores 87 it's a fair bet that your assessment of it's value is not representative.

Really? I only picked it up a couple of years ago (or like, two dollars or something silly) and while it took a little bit of getting used to it was perfectly driveable. Although if I remember it was a lot easier with a pad than a wheel, something about the wheel just never really worked right. No real loss though.

Maybe not undrivable, but it's certainly not as nice to drive as I remembered. I used a pad back then and also used a pad when I tested it recently. I dunno, maybe it's because my pad driving skills have deteriorated since I play exclusively racing sims with a wheel nowadays.

Then again, a lot of old games are absolutely amazing in my memory, but when I play then now the handling isn't as great as I remembered. GT1-2, Grid, Burnout Paradise are just to name a few.

Immediately picked it up, the physics really shouldn't be a concern. This is a straight up fun racing game. Maybe bias? I do think this is one of the best games I've ever played.

Not sure if I'm reading a parody or you're actually being serious...

Reads post, clicks link, game is not free...
It went back to not-free at 6 PM GMT (Noon Central US), sooo it looks like you missed by less than an hour.

That said, Steam is going nuts and I think it's $3 there along side Dirt 3 for under $5.

Latest Posts

Back