400PP Nordschleife Shootout

• Thread starter CSLACR
  • 1,639 comments
What is the 420PP deadline?

Tester deadline for 400PP is the 25th, so I would expect that Madame CSLACR will allow the finalists a week or so to sort their 420PP entries and then straight into testing again. Don't quote me on that though, I'm known for talking rubbish...

{Cy}

I've now gone and set the Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800GSR IC Turbo '83 I tested on share, with some updated settings from my previous test. If you wanna test it, go ahead. Remember though that my official entry is still that MG.

A quick note about that Lancer, the redline might be incorrect. I know on the 450pp tuned car I have you can go way past redline on the tach before you even hit peak power. I'll have to give yours a spin. Do you have the tune posted somewhere?

The car is a great sleeper...except it isn't very quick. I've tested it in stock form (only pp upgrades) at 375pp and it didn't even make the top-10 practice mode time board for the track I was testing. I run it at 450pp as more of a joke than anything else. It's got a lot of understeer with SS tires though and last time I drove it I had trouble getting the balance right.

]
Theo777 - Ford Focus '03 - 8'34.429"
I have no complaints about this car at all. I could put it anywhere I wanted and as a result ran ~10 seconds faster than any other car I've tried here previously at this PP. If I was going to gripe I'd want more speed. It was struggling to get into the mid-130s on the long straight. I think 132 was the highest I saw briefly.

Glad you liked the Focus. I didn't try the bad oil engine setup but it looks like the Ford could have had an extra 3-5hp(at the expense of some torque) to help the top end speed. I am still very pleased with how it turned out. :dopey:

Thanks for testing! Driving the Nordschleife cleanly is not an easy task.👍

Once every tester is done the final result will be known, then i assume a new deadline will be announced :)

Cant wait! :dopey:

Whats all this about the 420pp event. When will we know whos entering this?

It's been added to the second post for about a week now. Top 10 tuners for second round.
ryangt is the only one who told me they wanted to test just part of the list, so assuming he does test half the cars, (or anyone tests only half) the field is broken down into 2 groups, top 5 from each.
If everyone that submits times tests the whole field, then it will be straight top 10.

Speaking, slightly prematurely, about the 420PP 2nd Round, has anybody noted their gains over 400PP times..?? It may be that I've stumbled across a screamingly fast car, but I've seen a potential 5 sec improvement over my time in my original submission...

{Cy}

Speaking, slightly prematurely, about the 420PP 2nd Round, has anybody noted their gains over 400PP times..?? It may be that I've stumbled across a screamingly fast car, but I've seen a potential 5 sec improvement over my time in my original submission...

{Cy}

Not that I'll make it to the second round... but testing 420pp thus far has cut 7 seconds(FWD) to 9 seconds(MR) off my 400pp tune with my very average style of driving. :crazy: Many more choices with the no power limit/full weight ballast. Speaking of weight limits there was talk of a imposed 1000kg minimum, right? Because that is what I've been using for testing. :dunce:
At least its been a good learning exercise for improving over the 400pp category. :dopey:

I think PD may have gotten me with a ninja edit in one of the last few updates (2.03 or 2.04) as I've been tuning an Alfa for the car of the week thread the last few days and found the cars suspension bouncing me all over the place. Tried softer spring rates without much success, then I tried much higher damper settings than I normally have used and the car calmed right down. In fact it calmed down so much I was actually able to run higher spring rates than I started with improving turn in and mid corner handling.:crazy: Once all the testers have ran my 2000 GT I'll pull it off share and see if adjusting the dampers helps it ride the curbs better.:D

@mike_gt3 watching your videos it looks like the major time losses are in the sectors following the karussell as its time to that point is fairly close to the leaders. This surprised me as I expected the big losses in time to be in the 1st, 4th and 5th sectors. Would be interesting sometime to see a sector by sector time comparison between a few of the cars to get an idea where they are struggling and where they are performing at their best. Anyways thanks for everything you've already done.👍👍

Not that I'll make it to the second round... but testing 420pp thus far has cut 7 seconds(FWD) to 9 seconds(MR) off my 400pp tune with my very average style of driving. :crazy: Many more choices with the no power limit/full weight ballast. Speaking of weight limits there was talk of a imposed 1000kg minimum, right? Because that is what I've been using for testing. :dunce:
At least its been a good learning exercise for improving over the 400pp category. :dopey:

CSLACRcome back on the first rule 1000kg mini, it´s free now. At least from what i know.... Hope i ´ll not have to do all this again.:):)
><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°

I dont think the details of the 2nd round should have been released so early, it makes it unfair for those who dont have the time to scout out a good car.

Just thinking out loud here :)

I updated round 2, because the 1000KG weight limit started to seem really silly, and I couldn't think of any reason I banned it. :confused:
Sent MCH and Cowboys PM's yesterday, only 2 registered submissions we don't have yet. 👍

Here it is....:)👍

Why are we even doing a second round with different cars and a new PP level? Kinda feels like a whole different competition, not a second round. Many more cars can be squeezed into 420PP without oil changes and open ballast that it's no longer just a close walk from 400PP.

Why are we even doing a second round with different cars and a new PP level? Kinda feels like a whole different competition, not a second round. Many more cars can be squeezed into 420PP without oil changes and open ballast that it's no longer just a close walk from 400PP.
I agree with Motor. I'd rather see the same rules, but force the top 10 to make a different car fast. The times won't be on par with round 1, but the point would be to take a less than optimal platform and see what can be squeezed out of it.

Jumping to 420pp with reduced restrictions is essentially a new competition.

I agree with Motor. I'd rather see the same rules, but force the top 10 to make a different car fast. The times won't be on par with round 1, but the point would be to take a less than optimal platform and see what can be squeezed out of it.

Jumping to 420pp with reduced restrictions is essentially a new competition.
Well it depends on what you use to define the shootout. If you define it as the 400PP shootout, the second round doesn't make sense. If you define it as the Nordschleife shootout, then anything on the track makes sense.

I wanted it to be a second round that makes everyone start from scratch, so the PP amount was raised, standards tweaked, and all cars from round 1 banned for round 2.
BTW, critical detail - To tally the score for both rounds, round 1 will count as 50% for the top 10 tuners, round 2 will be the other 50%.
Example: 5th and 5th = Same as 4th and 6th, 7th and 3rd, etc.
Tiebreaker is outright fastest lap.

It's always disappointing to see complaints arise this late, because when I asked about it a week or so ago I didn't get much feedback, and it was mostly positive at the time.

Well it depends on what you use to define the shootout. If you define it as the 400PP shootout, the second round doesn't make sense. If you define it as the Nordschleife shootout, then anything on the track makes sense.

I wanted it to be a second round that makes everyone start from scratch, so the PP amount was raised, standards tweaked, and all cars from round 1 banned for round 2.
BTW, critical detail - To tally the score for both rounds, round 1 will count as 50% for the top 10 tuners, round 2 will be the other 50%.
Example: 5th and 5th = Same as 4th and 6th, 7th and 3rd, etc.
Tiebreaker is outright fastest lap.

It's always disappointing to see complaints arise this late, because when I asked about it a week or so ago I didn't get much feedback, and it was mostly positive at the time.

I agree 100%, same cars same rules , no tune with 20PP more will modify the classification significatively. In this case, only another track ,very different , would show their all-around capacities .
But we are talking about the ring challenge,same track...... only like CSLACR did to deal out the cards again and have a fair competition with a new base.

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Im sure everyone will be able to get something cool for the round 2 :)
Theres still some interresting cars at that PP range. :)

XDesperado, thats an interresting suggestion, i thought about it when i was testing, but then i thought it would be too much :D lol i can try to get the fastest 10 cars sectors and post them this weekend. :)

The only complaint I have with this 420PP thing is that it was decided after the contest started. I think it screws over the guys who entered this one for fun and didn't bother with going after the fastest cars because there wasn't any real incentive to get into the top 10.

Aside from that, good luck to the guys who make it through to the next round. 👍

VTiRoj
The only complaint I have with this 420PP thing is that it was decided after the contest started. I think it screws over the guys who entered this one for fun and didn't bother with going after the fastest cars because there wasn't any real incentive to get into the top 10.

👍

Good luck to the top ten.

Well, having it doesn't give anyone less chances to participate then not having it at all does. It is a speed-prioritized shootout as well.
If someone entered a car intending it to not be the fastest, or close to it, what can I do?

I have no chance to make the second round, but I agree that once the contest has begun, to make major changes like adding a second round really doesn't make a lot of sense. Kind of burns the guy who put his heart and soul, time and effort into a tune to finish fastest in what he thought was the first and only round, only to find out he has to do it again with different parameters.

I have no chance to make the second round, but I agree that once the contest has begun, to make major changes like adding a second round really doesn't make a lot of sense. Kind of burns the guy who put his heart and soul, time and effort into a tune to finish fastest in what he thought was the first and only round, only to find out he has to do it again with different parameters.
How could it possibly hurt someone that tried to enter the fastest car/tune possible?

Also, why didn't I hear this 2 weeks ago when I suggested it?

Well, having it doesn't give anyone less chances to participate then not having it at all does. It is a speed-prioritized shootout as well.
If someone entered a car intending it to not be the fastest, or close to it, what can I do?

It's an extended, optional extra challenge for those who made the 10 fastest cars, nobody has to do it.:confused:
I know we have some interested drivers and tuners, so why not do it?

CSLACR
I reserve the right to change any details and deadlines of this contest at any time, though I have no plans to change the deadlines for any reason outside of major PSN outages, etc.
The above is in bright blue letters at the bottom of CSLACR's OP. No deadlines have been changed. CSLACR brought this possibility up shortly after the event started and there was plenty of discussion at the time. No one objected to a second round for the fastest tuners when it was brought up.

As someone who entered a car I had high hopes for, but the reality has failed to match those hopes, I'll be a bit disappointed not to be in the second round. However, I'll keep watching and may even volunteer as a driver for the second round so I can see what sorts of interesting and outstanding tunes show up and which of the 10 finalists show themselves to be masters of tuning for the ring.:bowdown::gtpflag:

Many of us have already seen some truly incredible driving as well as a lot of fun and different cars. Let's enjoy this and when the next event starts our competitiveness can come out again as we look to try and field a winning entry.👍👍

Well, having it doesn't give anyone less chances to participate then not having it at all does.

Of course it doesn't, I'm not sure how that applies to my comment though. Some people had their cars done and hosted before you mentioned the 2nd round. Of course they can ask to change their entry but like Johnny said, it disheartens the tuner to have to go through that.

It is a speed-prioritized shootout as well.

It may be a speed-prioritized shootout, but that doesn't stop anyone from seeing how far they can go in an oddball car. That's what makes shootouts interesting for me. If everyone tuned the same car because it's the fastest car, that would be a boring shootout.

Nothing. It's not like its a bad thing if people want to enter good, fun cars.

Like I said, that's my only complaint. I didn't say "don't do it" or "that's a terrible idea". I only come into this thread to see if any results have been posted. I'm not following the conversation for the most part.

If any of the tuners that did not finished in the top ten would like to put a car on share with the 420PP requirement, i will run it and add them to my reviews of the next round, but they will not count i will add them seperatly. In the end i assume you all just want to know how your cars would fair...

And i dont mind driving them ;) if CSLACR dont see any problem with that.

If any of the tuners that did not finished in the top ten would like to put a car on share with the 420PP requirement, i will run it and add them to my reviews of the next round, but they will not count i will add them seperatly. In the end i assume you all just want to know how your cars would fair...

And i dont mind driving them ;) if CSLACR dont see any problem with that.
Your in trouble now! I may have a merc that will have you begging for mercy then.:D:crazy:

Back