A pitiful rockaful of credits for winning a Sports mode online race

• Thread starter englishbob
  • 47 comments
englishbobsnr
I've completed a few races online now in Sports mode - this weeks GR4 challenge - and have come first a couple of times. My prize money was 16,000CR - that is rubbish for a car collecting game.

Other than the online aspect of it, there is no real incentive to play this mode in comparison to entering an offline event that is just 3 laps and I can drive like an imbecile against the AI with no skill to get something like 80,000+CR

Are the developers addressing this at all? and also that fact that completing qualification laps (during the lengthy time it takes to get into a race) are not added to your daily workout mileage total

Last edited:
It depends on your driver level and the level of those you are racing, but yeah it's a joke.
I won the Toyota GZ race last week at driver level B and only got about 50,000 :/

Anyone would think they don't want you to play online.
I blame all those who cried so hard about GTS being online focused. They cried so hard for “offline” old school GT, that PD overcorrected and ruined what was good about sport mode to make the people happy that can’t let the past go. And they still complain about the offline modes, I don’t see why we even need offline modes. Get with the times people, online racing is where the future is at. Not playing offline alone against poopy AI drivers. I think the offline guys just can’t handle not winning every race, like they do against the AI, AI racing is so bloody boring, even if they’re fast. I’d rather race online against the dirtiest players GT has to offer, in cars I hate, on a track I hate, than use my favourite car, on my favourite track, against AI. Online racing is THAT much better.

Last edited:
I also believe it was incredibly unintelligent planning.

If the Sport Mode offered more prizes, including, with the clean race generating an almost tripled score, I think that the Sport Mode races would be much more attractive and polite.

I like the single player stuff, I don’t particularly want to do any of if more than once, I like the sport mode as the variety it brings is in the human competitors are different each race. more single player content and higher payouts for sport mode would make everyone happy.

It was addressed in one sense by adding the ability to rent cars for sport mode, so you can now just ignore the car collecting side of things if you want to focus on sport mode.
That also negated my advantage I’d built up by grinding for all the cars. Now that was a waste of time because everyone can use any car now. The Advantage of having a meta car that wasn’t in the dealerships that week is gone.

But, at the same time it did make Alt accounts for sport mode viable again, no need to grind for cars to race now.

Last edited:
I blame all those who cried so hard about GTS being online focused. They cried so hard for “offline” old school GT, that PD overcorrected and ruined what was good about sport mode to make the people happy that can’t let the past go.
That doesn't make any sense. Offline players aren't going to play online modes at all, so what benefit would nerfing the online have? All they had to do was add more single player content, not nerf multiplayer.
And they still complain about the offline modes, I don’t see why we even need offline modes. Get with the times people, online racing is where the future is at. Not playing offline alone against poopy AI drivers. I think the offline guys just can’t handle not winning every race, like they do against the AI, AI racing is so bloody boring, even if they’re fast. I’d rather race online against the dirtiest players GT has to offer, in cars I hate, on a track I hate, than use my favourite car, on my favourite track, against AI. Online racing is THAT much better.
You think wrong. People are different. Some people love nothing more than going to a crowded party and interacting with everyone they clap eyes on. Other people think having their teeth pulled without anaesthetic sounds more fun. I'm one of them. I have no interest in gaming socially, I never have, and I never will. I want to play games on my own schedule, I want to do what I choose, all in the knowledge that I won't have to worry about griefers or people being assholes in general. I don't have to try and join a league and race at set times. I don't have to worry if I'll like the daily race. I want to race when I want, where I want, at any hour of the day.

That's how I enjoy games. You're different, and that's fine, but please stop telling us to "get with the times". Oh and it's nothing to do with wanting to win. I'm replaying pCARS 2 at the moment, my win ratio is just under 50%, and I'm very happy with that.

We complain about the offline modes because they're not as good as they could be. I can play other racing games solo and have much more fun than GT, because they manage to offer proper racing formats and good AI.

So no, online racing is not much better for me.

That doesn't make any sense. Offline players aren't going to play online modes at all, so what benefit would nerfing the online have? All they had to do was add more single player content, not nerf multiplayer.

You think wrong. People are different. Some people love nothing more than going to a crowded party and interacting with everyone they clap eyes on. Other people think having their teeth pulled without anaesthetic sounds more fun. I'm one of them. I have no interest in gaming socially, I never have, and I never will. I want to play games on my own schedule, I want to do what I choose, all in the knowledge that I won't have to worry about griefers or people being assholes in general. I don't have to try and join a league and race at set times. I don't have to worry if I'll like the daily race. I want to race when I want, where I want, at any hour of the day.

That's how I enjoy games. You're different, and that's fine, but please stop telling us to "get with the times". Oh and it's nothing to do with wanting to win. I'm replaying pCARS 2 at the moment, my win ratio is just under 50%, and I'm very happy with that.

We complain about the offline modes because they're not as good as they could be. I can play other racing games solo and have much more fun than GT, because they manage to offer proper racing formats and good AI.

So no, online racing is not much better for me.
There is only so much time dedicated to create the game, so with people wanting all this boring offline stuff, it takes away time from working on the online stuff. Both time and manpower are limited in any business, you don’t get infinite man hours to make things. And the smallest groups, seem to have the loudest voices these days for whatever reason. 🙄

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any incentive to play sport mode at the moment. Was pretty much done with it in GTS and was looking forward to a big upgrade for GT7 which did not happen. Kudos Prime made it more in depth as you could see your DR etc. I've hardly touched lobby racing either but have some friends wanting to get back into it so might end up not doing sport mode at all apart from to get the plat. I still have the A+ S showing on GT7 from GTS so 🤷‍♂️

There is only so much time delighted to create the game, so with people wanting all this boring offline stuff, it takes away time from working on the online stuff. Both time and manpower are limited in any business, you don’t get infinite man hours to make things. And the smallest groups, seem to have the loudest voices these days for whatever reason. 🙄
But the offline is trash too.

There is only so much time delighted to create the game, so with people wanting all this boring offline stuff, it takes away time from working on the online stuff. Both time and manpower are limited in any business, you don’t get infinite man hours to make things. And the smallest groups, seem to have the loudest voices these days for whatever reason. 🙄
Except we're not the smallest group. Time and time again the stats show that most people do not play online. These aren't "voices", these are raw hard stats that PD can look at. Let's remind ourselves:

Sport Races finished% of PlayersPlayers Count
A. 0 Races8413,315,000
B. 1-10 Races101,539,800
C. 11-20 Races2242,600
D. More than 20 Races5748,400

84% of GTS buyers didn't even care to try Sport Mode even once. A further 10% gave it a try and not much more. So, is ~93% of your playerbase the minority? I think not.

Also PD are a first party game studio, of all the racing games on the market they should have just about the largest budget. There is no excuses at not being able to do both sides well. Other games with less money and people manage it.

Last edited:
Except we're not the smallest group. Time and time again the stats show that most people do not play online. These aren't "voices", these are raw hard stats that PD can look at. Let's remind ourselves:

Sport Races finished% of PlayersPlayers Count
A. 0 Races8413,315,000
B. 1-10 Races101,539,800
C. 11-20 Races2242,600
D. More than 20 Races5748,400

84% of GTS buyers didn't even care to try Sport Mode even once. A further 10% gave it a try and not much more. So, is ~93% of your playerbase the minority? I think not.

Also PD are a first party game studio, of all the racing games on the market they should have just about the largest budget. There is no excuses at not being able to do both sides well. Other games with less money and people manage it.
All I see is 85% of people didn’t even give it a shot, that’s their fault, not mine. I avoided GTS for over a year because I thought online would suck. Then I finally tried it, and it was the best racing I’d ever had, and I’ll never go back. It sucks that so many people can’t handle it, their missing out big time.

Time and time again the stats show that most people do not play online.
Most people barely play games they've bought at all. 80% of players have completed less than 40% of the GTS campaign, so they're not playing online, but they're also not playing the campaign, at least not to the extent that the size of it is a problem for them.

I've completed a few races online now in Sports mode - this weeks GR4 challenge - and have come first a couple of times. My prize money was 16,000CR - that is rubbish for a car collecting game.
Correction, they decided they would try their hand at a credit extorsion game. "Car collecting" is what they called it...

Actually, they call it the Real Driving Simulator, so I am not sure why car collection would be the focus OTHER than to extort money.
Other than the online aspect of it, there is no real incentive to play this mode in comparison to entering an offline event that is just 3 laps and I can drive like an imbecile against the AI with no skill to get something like 80,000+CR
Correct. See, with offline, they can do a better job of pursuading you to part with your money. That was the issue with GTS. Sport Mode was so popular, that buying anything other than the GR cars was rather pointless.
Are the developers addressing this at all? and also that fact that completing qualification laps (during the lengthy time it takes to get into a race) are not added to your daily workout mileage total
What you are experiencing is HOW they have addressed it.

What's sad is that coming here and discussing the immense dissatisfaction with the iteration of the game is the most interesting part of the game.

All I see is 85% of people didn’t even give it a shot, that’s their fault, not mine. I avoided GTS for over a year because I thought online would suck. Then I finally tried it, and it was the best racing I’d ever had, and I’ll never go back. It sucks that so many people can’t handle it, their missing out big time.
Whatever the reason, why would PD focus on online if most people are not interested?

I can understand why online isn't touched - it's a racing game - possibly the harshest online gaming experience you can have - players don't know how to use the brake in the first bend its all over for you. It's not like an FPS

Whatever the reason, why would PD focus on online if most people are not interested?
The problem is that they (blatantly) have half finished ideas. As an example, I achieved "Saphire" level in the campaign of GTS, which, of course, means absolutely nothing.

The entire "campaign" is the antithesis of a campaign, so. It's no surprise that few play it. It's also tedious at best. The GT7 SP (i won't call it a campaign) is slightly less tedious, but not by much.

Like I said, they focused on extortion

People may not play online but on YouTube and Twitch people watch others play online. Which makes online an advertising priority even if most players don't do more than few races.

Last edited:
They still had 40000 daily active users in sport mode before GT7 was released. That's pretty good for a 5 year old game. That's pretty good for a completely new game!

They still had 40000 daily active users in sport mode before GT7 was released. That's pretty good for a 5 year old game. That's pretty good for a completely new game!
It is in pure numbers vs other games, but it's not so good vs the several million who bought it, probably 10m+.

It is in pure numbers vs other games, but it's not so good vs the several million who bought it,
Well, it's a tough number to judge because most people buy a game and move on, regardless of the game.

I would like to see its comparison to other online racers. What I found was it had 5x the actibe users of iRacing, but I don't know the accuracy of the numbers.

Still, for GTS to sell almost 10 mil (I don't know the actual number, but I see it's estimated to be more than 8), and have that number continue year after year, I guarantee that it isn't the terrible offline mode that has kept players interested.

Last edited:
Live channels looks robust to me. But I'm not a Twitch user so maybe it's not.

It's not. There are 442 people watching GT7 right now. More people are watching iRacing (2.6K) and ACC (2K). Twitch viewer numbers are easily skewed at any one time by one or two popular streamers playing a game though, that's why the averages over time are a better indication.

This is something that could be improved, but I think it also generates interest on the single player aspect. If there were at least 3 more endurance events to farm from time to time and the AI was a bit less psychotic, nobody would complain.

I blame all those who cried so hard about GTS being online focused. They cried so hard for “offline” old school GT, that PD overcorrected and ruined what was good about sport mode to make the people happy that can’t let the past go. And they still complain about the offline modes, I don’t see why we even need offline modes. Get with the times people, online racing is where the future is at. Not playing offline alone against poopy AI drivers. I think the offline guys just can’t handle not winning every race, like they do against the AI, AI racing is so bloody boring, even if they’re fast. I’d rather race online against the dirtiest players GT has to offer, in cars I hate, on a track I hate, than use my favourite car, on my favourite track, against AI. Online racing is THAT much better.
If this was the case, neither Turn 10 nor PD would be investing in AI taught by deep learning.

Also, F1 is one of the premier racing games today and the single player aspect is arguably bigger than the online mode.

Last edited:
I blame all those who cried so hard about GTS being online focused. They cried so hard for “offline” old school GT, that PD overcorrected and ruined what was good about sport mode to make the people happy that can’t let the past go. And they still complain about the offline modes, I don’t see why we even need offline modes. Get with the times people, online racing is where the future is at. Not playing offline alone against poopy AI drivers. I think the offline guys just can’t handle not winning every race, like they do against the AI, AI racing is so bloody boring, even if they’re fast.
What a load of crap.

Like I said, they focused on extortion

Have they though? Because I don't know a single person who has paid for credits, and I certainly don't feel any pressure to buy them myself. Why would I, money is plentiful enough even with casual playing. With the exception of the really high value cars (which, let's be honest, you only want BECAUSE they are expensive, they are no better performing than something from a dealership) I haven't struggled to buy anything.

Do you feel like you are being extorted? In a game that we will all still be playing in five years, why are we rushing to own every car in the first six weeks?

Back