A-spec Beginners Level Japanese '90s Car Challenge: Tsukuba Circuit

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 61 comments
If your car isn't already equipped with SH tires, the game defaults to the next hardest tire. But you probably know this, right?
Indeed I already do know this. :)

And I found out what was causing the issues: I actually had SM tires installed instead of SHs. :dunce:

Stock EVO VI GSR T.M Edition; 466pp. Total race time 5.57:4. Won by 1.8 seconds. Caught the pack on the start of the last lap.

The 99 Eclipse was a lot of fun. Only needs about 450-460pp. A lot of wheel spin and tire smoke, too!

I used a Mazda MX5 with 400PP - I didn't think it was going to be fast enough because the lead car had a 30 second head start, but I passed him on the last corner and managed to just stay ahead till the finish line - thoroughly enjoyable!

I've been trying various stock cars in this race.
Lowest PP so far is the 434 PP Silvia S15 '99 against a trio of R34s.

PS - the Supra RZ is a boat!

First tried in a Cappuccino (every upgrade added) - Failed! Was great on this track bar the top speed, it just couldn't catch the leaders.

Then used one of the 1000 Skylines in the game.... Won by so much it felt like cheating. Will try again in a lower pp car for a closer race.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you have to pick a car at least 50-75pp or more below the 'limit' to have a race that actually feels like a challenge, and even then, if you know how to tune, it's a pretty easy win. Smoked this in my real-life car built as a in-game replica at around 420pp, the Altezza RS200. Hardly any tuning beyond suspension, LSD and the real life mods I have fitted in my car (exhaust, manifold, brakes, ECU).

C'mon PD, step up the challenge a bit!

I had a whole heap of fun and a pretty easy win on this one. I used @Ridox2JZGTE's NSX Type R '92 with the COMPTECH Final gear option. Ran a 1:00.408 on final lap with only ABS 1 on DS3, Sub 1 minute laps should be achievable with some better throttle control than I had.

So many options for this event, hmmm, what to use next...

I was bored, took a suzuki cappuccino EA21R '95.
Full tuned, oilchange, soft suspension, maxspeed 270KMH 480pp traction=1 abs=1 gold.
shot0002.png
shot0003.png

Bought the same car again.
Fully tuned, NO OILCHANGE,soft suspension, maxspeed 250KMH, Traction=1 ABS=1 473pp GOLD
Car is 0.5 seconds slower per lap.
shot0004.png
shot0005.png

i wonder what the laptime for the 480pp suzuki will be when i change maxspeed from 270kmh to 250kmh?
Anyway, you make good time in the corners, AI is very slow in the corners, VERY SLOW!!!!

shot0006.png

I was bored, took a suzuki cappuccino EA21R '95.
Full tuned, oilchange, soft suspension, maxspeed 270KMH 480pp traction=1 abs=1 gold.

Bought the same car again.
Fully tuned, NO OILCHANGE,soft suspension, maxspeed 250KMH, Traction=1 ABS=1 473pp GOLD
Car is 0.5 seconds slower per lap.

i wonder what the laptime for the 480pp suzuki will be when i change maxspeed from 270kmh to 250kmh?
Anyway, you make good time in the corners, AI is very slow in the corners, VERY SLOW!!!!

Yikes. Ishikawa? Where the heck are these rabbits popping out of?
Looks like that wall of fame is getting a hammering already. Please tell me these are the fastest lead Rabbit times for this event?
I see some really fast times already but not sure who has posted the fastest time here - will inform Rabbit HQ ASAP 👍

Yikes. Ishikawa? Where the heck are these rabbits popping out of?
Looks like that wall of fame is getting a hammering already. Please tell me these are the fastest lead Rabbit times for this event?
I see some really fast times already but not sure who has posted the fastest time here - will inform Rabbit HQ ASAP 👍
Huh? what just happened?
why the YIKES?
I got that Ishikawa rabbit the first time i drove that event, but i used a éfini RX7 tuned to 540pp
so that Ai was no match.

with the 473pp suzuki i got 1st in lap 4 with that Ishikawa AI, very easy, no problem at all.
So i guess there is some sarcasm in you post?
Anyway, in the spoiler is the clip with that suzuki and Ishikawa, if that post is serious.

Huh? what just happened?
why the YIKES?
I got that Ishikawa rabbit the first time i drove that event, but i used a éfini RX7 tuned to 540pp
so that Ai was no match.

with the 473pp suzuki i got 1st in lap 4 with that Ishikawa AI, very easy, no problem at all.
So i guess there is some sarcasm in you post?
Anyway, in the spoiler is the clip with that suzuki and Ishikawa, if that post is serious.

No sarcasm at all ( don't flatter yourself - nothing personal unless I'm complimenting you. 👍 ) - it wouldn't benefit anyone here.

My surprise was based on seeing Ishikawa - I have never come across this rabbit - obviously much faster than the fastest one challenging me.
However, my cars have generally low PP when I go after them - most times I use a 400PP - 450PP car. So it seems once again that the stronger the car one enters (and after having proved to the rabbits that you can whip them with it, then whenever you re-enter that car (or maybe even right away when entered) the faster rabbits come out to play.
Another way of tricking them is to lower the PP when you enter, then re-adjust the PP higher.
What usually happens when you do the latter is that the slower rabbits come out, but then you have a faster car after the PP readjustment.
Having said that, I have noticed that if you have played the event a lot and showed considerably fast times to the 'Brain' behind the game, it will do one of two things; A: It will 'give up' and give you a medium pace field that will either try to spin you out, block you, or exert some strange FFB on you car when you are near them or at a minimum of two significant corners on the track at either Laps 5 & 3, or 2 & 4, depending on the event . . . or B: It will come up with the very fastest field.
The fastest field would be usually the fastest rabbit running pole, with all the other fast rabbits running in their 'fast' order behind that lead rabbit.

We shouldn't of course be going into lengthy conversations about rabbits in the actual Event threads - which is why I created a space specifically to discuss the rabbits more - at least for those of us interested in fuzzy logic and the way it is being used in programming AI. From your former comments, I took it that you were interested in the topic, too. 👍
The Event threads will come and go - and so a lot of valuable 'rabbitalk' will be lost - so I wanted to make sure all those details were placed in a spot always accessible to Rabbit Hunters.
A lot of important points were made by several members (including yourself, actually :) ) about Rabbits, in the Event threads, but these posts will be lost in the mists of time eventually as the Event threads (more 'consumer' discussions than one of a perennial nature) drop back into the archives of the sub-Forum. This is unfortunate.

These Event threads are topical to the Event, and nowcontrol does a fine job of creating them quickly, neatly, and efficiently so that we could all trade information about the particular event itself, the purpose of course being to get the Gold. This involves more a discussion of particular cars, tunes, and ways to ace the event, most people finding the event easy after some tries. Others though may have some difficulties and would look for these threads (which are advertised in the News section of GTPlanet - and this brings many new members in, as well as guests hoping to find some tips about the Event.
I would assume, that there may be also people who are not even vaguely interested in what others are doing with the Event (let alone going deeply into the guts of how Rabbits function) and may not even come anywhere near the Seasonal Events Forum.

For those of us passionate about the game, every member here (and their individual contribution) is important - sarcasm is out of the question.
Now that you have introduced me to Ishikawa - well - I'm going hunting that Rabbit - with a strong car. Then I'm going to reduce my PP and have fun seeing how strong he is.
Having golded this event several times, there doesn't seem much else to do, is there? :lol:

To all who would like to participate in the additional mini-challenges involving Rabbits - please post your eligible times in that thread (you may of course post all you want in here, too - but that doesn't confirm for me that you are entering the challenge. Isn't freedom great?)

Ishikawa . . . I'm coming to get you.. . .

No sarcasm at all ( don't flatter yourself - nothing personal unless I'm complimenting you. 👍 ) - it wouldn't benefit anyone here.

My surprise was based on seeing Ishikawa - I have never come across this rabbit - obviously much faster than the fastest one challenging me.

-Big chunk of text removed-

Now that you have introduced me to Ishikawa - well - I'm going hunting that Rabbit - with a strong car.

Ishikawa . . . I'm coming to get you.. . .
Okay, i'm starting to understand it.💡
You are hunting specific rabbits.:cool:

Anyway, good hunting..

Mazda Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91, 454PP.
Had to work the Eunos pretty hard to catch Skyline end of L5. :crazy:

Clean laps & passes.
No Assists/0 ABS/BB: 1/0
H-shifter & clutch heel-toe (T500 & TH8RS).

Installed Parts:

Sports Hard Suspension/Racing Brakes
Custom trans (for FG adjust only)
All drivetrain parts, (no LSD adjust)
Power parts: see video.
Weight reduction: all, no ballast.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that the AI are attatched to their specific cars? In the online at Tsukuba Mr. Ishikawa was there with his Scooby, and A. Kondo had an NSX. In another race L. Huber was in a Skyline. I left, and went to the Japanese 90's Challenge offline. At SSR5 there was good ol' Ishikawa in his white impreza, at Motegi, Kondo showed up in the NSX, and then at Tokyo lo and behold Huber was there in the same Skyline. Funny. All the cars were in the same colors as the online race too.

Has anyone else noticed that the AI are attatched to their specific cars? In the online at Tsukuba Mr. Ishikawa was there with his Scooby, and A. Kondo had an NSX. In another race L. Huber was in a Skyline. I left, and went to the Japanese 90's Challenge offline. At SSR5 there was good ol' Ishikawa in his white impreza, at Motegi, Kondo showed up in the NSX, and then at Tokyo lo and behold Huber was there in the same Skyline. Funny. All the cars were in the same colors as the online race too.
P. Fletcher seems to be the shoe for the Buick Special. Good old Pat!

Yes. :)

👍

I won this event by using my Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec II
In retrospect it was kinda overkill since I heavily modded my skyline out :/

I won this event by using my Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec II
In retrospect it was kinda overkill since I heavily modded my skyline out :/

I use the events as a test of skill - picking cars that are already in the field - and running them stock against the AI. At some point while doing this I discover a car in the line-up that I can actually use (unmodified) to beat the AI. This is the optimum vehicle for me, then, from the line-up presented by the 'stewards' of the race.
For instance in The Italian event I found that any 425-450 PP car was optimum for me and gave me consistent races that had me winning within a half second or so - which makes for excellent and tight racing; I also lose sometimes because of mistakes, or not being able to negotiate traffic quickly and cleanly enough - but this is no loss, since I place second or third when this happens, and I not only receive credits, I have learned more about race driving and also about the particular characteristics of the car I'm driving.

This puts me in the bracket where any 500 PP car becomes a 'grinder'; an assured win, a Sunday drive casually run through the cars that lets me enjoy a nice drive in a Miura or Gran Turismo or some other high-powered luxury vehicle that I could only fantasize about driving - because even if I had all the money in the world . . . some of these cars are unique and are almost impossible to acquire.
Let alone acquire and thrash around like this. :boggled:

I just used the '90 CRX Si with a tune from Arakkis Speed Shop by @feydrautha @ 496 PP to beat the NSX in a 6 minute race. Didn't catch the rabbit NSX until lap 5, but caught and passed him and won by 1.310sec.

I'd post a screen shot but I have no idea of how people are posting screen shots and replays.

Last edited:
I just used the '90 CRX Si with a tune from Arakkis Speed Shop by @feydrautha @ 496 PP to beat the NSX in a 6 minute race. Didn't catch the rabbit NSX until lap 5, but caught and passed him and won by 1.310sec.

I'd post a screen shot but I have no idea of how people are posting screen shots and replays.

Hi @Racin510s - Screen shots are easy - pause the play (if you have to) or take it on the fly as it comes up on screen - with any camera; phonecam, compact cam, DSLR, whatever, setting the exposures as required.
Replay shot are taken via GT6 Photomode, exported from the library to the XMB (Photo Folder) and from there to an SD card or USB, then to a PC.
From the PC to GTPlanet either directly or via an Image hosting site.

There are other ways; this is one way.

Screen shots give us a lot of valuable player info. 👍

Hi @Racin510s - Screen shots are easy - pause the play (if you have to) or take it on the fly as it comes up on screen - with any camera; phonecam, compact cam, DSLR, whatever, setting the exposures as required.
Replay shot are taken via GT6 Photomode, exported from the library to the XMB (Photo Folder) and from there to an SD card or USB, then to a PC.
From the PC to GTPlanet either directly or via an Image hosting site.

There are other ways; this is one way.

Screen shots give us a lot of valuable player info. 👍

Many thanks @photonrider for the info. i'll be sure and give that a try at my next race. I also copied and pasted the instructions to be safe. I've never used Photomode before.

Back