A Test Drive Unlimited Sequel is On Its Way From WRC Developer Kylotonn

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 980 comments
To be fair, the version I played back in the day may not have been completely original, so I did have to check with an original version. :lol:

Hope everyone is happy now "winning" over my lacking memory of a game from 2006 -17 years ago - and we can go back to topic on TDU Solar Crown
As I said I couldn't directly remember the offline mode on the many years ago published pc-version.
And yet you were the one who decided to run your mouth as if you did in response to people criticizing Solar Crown, and are still trying to come up with some narrow scope that makes you technically correct.

So if you ever wanted to maybe experience multiplayer for exclusive races later in your gameprogress and going after 100% completion and/or all trophys on PS3/X360 you had to choose onlinemode with always online. I'm pretty sure this lead to nearly everyone with a broadband connection in 2006/2007 beeing always online in TDU1.
Yeah, people definitely needed to play online to get the Trophies (which first launched on the PS3 in 2008) for the PS3 port of Test Drive Unlimited (a version of the game that definitely existed). That absolutely means the same thing as an always online game with no single player option whose shelf life is completely handcuffed to player count and server longevity.

Just take the L and move on if you actually want to move on.

Last edited:
Yeah, people definitely needed to play online to get the Trophies (which first launched on the PS3 in 2008) for the PS3 port of Test Drive Unlimited (a version of the game that definitely existed).
There's a PS3 port of TDU1? I thought the only Playstation port released was the PS2 version.

----
Though if we need more accuracy on what's possible with TDU1, I could pull out my Xbox 360 copy again at some point. After I get some sleep of course. :lol:

Last edited:
As I said I couldn't directly remember the offline mode on the many years ago published pc-version. So yes I was wrong but it's also splitting hairs since I was absolutely right that there was something fishy with TDU1 and the always online feature was in there if you wanted to experience the full game. Like Kai pointed out you had to decide before starting the game to choose offlinemode without multiplayer at all or onlinemode with always online mandatory and other players freeroaming on the map even if you didn't took part in multiplayer events. But with many races both online and offline available there were exclusive onlineraces. All these on/offlineprofile shenanigans without a way to switch from on- to offlinemode or the other way round without loosing all your progress without a built in solution. Normal users definately weren't able to use a hex editor for this switch. Using the onlineprofile you were unable to continue the singleplayer career if gamespy was down/to crowded/etc. or your internetconnection wasn't working. Exactly what I experienced multiple times back in the days so that this experience in my memory lead to the assumption that it was always online. It was indeed right when starting a online profile and enjoying the individual selling point of TDU1 as M.O.O.R. (Massively Open Online Racing) the game and all available content it was always online.
So if you ever wanted to maybe experience multiplayer for exclusive races later in your gameprogress and going after 100% completion and/or all trophys on PS3/X360 you had to choose onlinemode with always online. I'm pretty sure this lead to nearly everyone with a broadband connection in 2006/2007 beeing always online in TDU1.
That's a lot to say for someone that wants the conversation to end because he was wrong.

I’ve seen a lot of people up in arms about The Crew being shut down, but I don’t quite get it - it’s been out 10 years or something and entirely superseded by TC2 which is still getting updates and won’t be shut down for many years yet - I think much as online only games are a problem for this very reason, Ubisoft have supported these games really well. OnRush is the one that annoyed me.

I’ve seen a lot of people up in arms about The Crew being shut down, but I don’t quite get it - it’s been out 10 years or something and entirely superseded by TC2 which is still getting updates and won’t be shut down for many years yet - I think much as online only games are a problem for this very reason, Ubisoft have supported these games really well. OnRush is the one that annoyed me.
Not entirely, some people miss the tone of the original game. TC1 had a far darker tone with a greater emphasis on the narrative, which I imagine they feel more immersed in compared to the overly upbeat festival atmospheres of the later games.

What I reckon is more significant is that it is one of the dwindling number of racing games that still allow you to have open-world police chases with licensed cars. Besides Need For Speed, no other racing game in the AAA space is allowing you to do so these days.

I like the game but I can't play it anymore. Way more disturbing for me than losing the 10 bucks that cost me.

I usually revisit some games that I like if I'm in the mood. TC1 is a blast for me and I could see myself playing it again in the future if it weren't for the shutdown.

In principle, it is ethically wrong, IMO. I still play games far older than this (GTA San Andreas, GT4 & GT5, Fallout New Vegas, to name a few) and I would be pretty damn upset if any of them were somehow rendered unplayable. There's something fundamentally flawed about paying full price for something to own, yet it can only be used as long as the publisher says it can be used. Nobody bought TC1, they leased it. I was never into TC1 or TC2, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first game had a following of some kind. Maybe TC1 was some 8 year-old's first racing game. Now imagine that person is 18 years old, and will be prevented from playing the game that maybe had a big impact on their childhood and/or adolescent development. Its easy to get overly sentimental about things, but its also true that humans are pretty nostalgic.

In principle, it is ethically wrong, IMO. I still play games far older than this (GTA San Andreas, GT4 & GT5, Fallout New Vegas, to name a few) and I would be pretty damn upset if any of them were somehow rendered unplayable. There's something fundamentally flawed about paying full price for something to own, yet it can only be used as long as the publisher says it can be used. Nobody bought TC1, they leased it. I was never into TC1 or TC2, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first game had a following of some kind. Maybe TC1 was some 8 year-old's first racing game. Now imagine that person is 18 years old, and will be prevented from playing the game that maybe had a big impact on their childhood and/or adolescent development. Its easy to get overly sentimental about things, but its also true that humans are pretty nostalgic.
The likes of GTA, GT and Fallout are all offline games though. Even then, GT5s online portion was shut down after what, 4 years? If that?

Thing is: Even though TDU1 servers no longer exist for many years now, you can still play the game offline. Blur, a game that had an online portion and was removed from stores due to licensing issues, I can still download and play (Blur keys go for an insane amount these days) while offline.

Another thing: IMO racing and other games have peaked a few years ago, there's very little innovation except for indie titles these days. So I totally get why people prefer older titles; they're just better.

Another thing: IMO racing and other games have peaked a few years ago, there's very little innovation except for indie titles these days. So I totally get why people prefer older titles; they're just better.

This.

My friend and I both have gamepass therefore access to many titles. Whenever I go to see him I notice his Xbox library contains many simple looking/playing indie games which he enthuses over. His reasoning is that apart from some odd AAA title he'd rather play these because they generally release as finished, non bugged games as an indie title has to succeed, they don't have the luxury or sales, (marketing budget) of the big publishers/software co's therefore the old standard of effort goes into releasing something that's not broken. He's right. These are the only games worth downloading or perhaps buying on release.

Thing is: Even though TDU1 servers no longer exist for many years now, you can still play the game offline. Blur, a game that had an online portion and was removed from stores due to licensing issues, I can still download and play (Blur keys go for an insane amount these days) while offline.

Again, TDU could be played offline already and Blur was predominantly an offline game. It’s one thing have online sections and capability, it’s another when the game centres on it.

Would anyone here realistically have gone back to TC1? If it hadn’t been delisted?

Again, TDU could be played offline already and Blur was predominantly an offline game. It’s one thing have online sections and capability, it’s another when the game centres on it.

Would anyone here realistically have gone back to TC1? If it hadn’t been delisted?
As posters above said, TC1 offers plenty unique features and experiences worth a re-visit. The map's bigger, better detailed and prettier than TC2, the Zonda sounds beautiful, there are cop chases where you can pick sides, there's an actual story. Plenty of TC1 can be played alone and there's no reason to save the game only server-side, other than complete control by Ubisoft.

Edit: reworded

Last edited:
I posted this in hope of getting some GTP news!
I checked into it. This is literally all the earnings statement says:

As previously announced, the second half of the 2023/24 financial year is seeing a busy release schedule, with over 10 new games during the period.

After the launch of War Hospital on 11 January and the excellent start of New Cycle released on January 18 and published by Daedalic studio, releases in the fourth quarter are set to include:

Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown
Which is no different (now it's January 31st) from this:

1706706611047.jpeg

And I don't like the look of "set to" :lol: That's generally editorial shorthand for "is planned, but...".

I checked into it. This is literally all the earnings statement says:

Which is no different (now it's January 31st) from this:

View attachment 1324153

And I don't like the look of "set to" :lol: That's generally editorial shorthand for "is planned, but...".
Oh well it's not that far anyway. We will finally get our PS5 "horizon" 😄

Latest Posts

Back