Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter daan
  • 136,900 comments
im going really hard on this Eagle boys, check out the suspension so far. i'm 2 hours deep into suspension geometry
upload_2020-1-17_0-22-8.png
see how those yellow lines match right up. it was nowhere even close before reworking. im going to do this level of detail on every aspect of the car, below is the Steer rod and then the top wishbones are the other photo, they are Red so its hard to see, click the photo to see it better.
upload_2020-1-17_0-23-35.png upload_2020-1-17_0-24-33.png So it took 2 hours just for the rear suspension lol
Onto the front now!:cheers::gtpflag: Im calling this the Eagle MKIII (GTP Edition) not rework by mike.y this is our car. without you guys i wouldn't even know how to unpack a data folder right now :lol:. so this car is my GT Planet tribute thankyou car for all your help. ill make sure it's the most detailed thing i've ever touched. ill work on this little by little on the side and do it all the right way, Zero corner cutting

Last edited:
@Hodgey Not sure how I broke my game, but apparently it just crashes with CSP disabled now (it worked fine a couple weeks ago!), so I can't even post comparison benchmarks :lol: But just take my word for it. At 1080p with my desired graphic settings, the Spa benchmark averages about 23-25fps, but 40-42fps when CSP is enabled. If I drop the resolution to 720p (I know, I know... it's a 2011 laptop though - I'm already pushing her hard), I can get 50-60fps on most Kunos tracks, and rarely under 40fps on heavier mod tracks like LA Canyons. I've seen upwards of 70fps on low detailed tracks converted from other games like GPL and rFactor. The lower resolution also helps my potato from getting CPU spikes from time to time. It's a compromise for sure, but I'm learning to live with it. But anyway, here are a few screenshots showing my CSP settings. Anything not shown is default, and you can see which modules are disabled on the left.

.../...And one other thing, nice find on the Porsche you posted last page. One of the best cars I've driven (street) in a long long time, tried many, not so much. You got a place for that guys work?
(even has GPS in the dash working properly)
Screenshot-f-porsche-gt2rs-mr2-sebring-16-1-120-20-27-13.jpg
Indeed a good car, but for some reason mirrors are reversed.

Edit: nevermind, remembered the FLIP=1 thing now...

Last edited:
Whoah. Mind blown............
I understand this well, as I myself recently switched to CSP and SOL.
I followed this development for a long time, but I feared to install, as I have a lot of mods, and I was embarrassed that some of them would stop working correctly.
For me too the main requirement to mods - good optimization, and the opportunity to put many rivals on a starting grid.
Thinking for a long time how to switch to CSP and SOL, but not to lose all my settings and mods, I did so:
Rename folder
...steamapps\common\assettocorsa
to ...steamapps\common\assettocorsa_old
and folder
...Documents\Assetto Corsa
to Documents\Assetto Corsa_old
Installed a new, pure AC and then CSP and SOL for it.
Now I can rename these folders to run an old vanilla AC with all my mods and settings, and a new one with CSP and SOL settings.
In this way I can check the effectiveness of the settings, and compare the quality of the picture and fps. I managed to achieve the same performance in CSP and SOL as in the vanilla version. At the same time, I almost didn 't disconnect anything, but only changed settings a little. For example, I use procedural grass, and that doesn 't reduce fps. I can say I 'm satisfied in the new AC almost everything. There are only a few points I can 't deal with yet, such as the shadows that look worse to me in CSP than in vanilla. And I would like to change some PP filter settings.
So I have come to the conclusion that CSP and SOL will be able to completely replace the standard lossless AC for me, you only need to spend a little more time setting up.

Whoah. Mind blown.
After the recent chat about grid presets I just tried loading up an old preset of mine, one I've not done in ages: a GT3 race against 19 other AI GT3 cars at Spa, all different vehicles, a combo of Kunos cars and one-LoD mods, at midday. It's a combo I used to run effortlessly in VR on my current hardware before the CSP, and it was always a smooth and dependable race.
Just now it was a bloody slideshow.
I then did something quite radical for me: I disabled the CSP and Sol and ran the same race again. It was smooth as silk. And not only that but it looked fantastic. I'd forgotten how good vanilla AC used to look before Sol. Everything looked a lot 'cleaner' somehow, and sharper.
I've been under the impression (and I think it's a common misconception) that, with various CPU and GPU optimisations that the CSP adds, AC runs just as well with Sol and the CSP as it did in vanilla state. That's certainly not the case for me based on tonight's experience. I don't think I've noticed my drop in performance over the past 18 months or so because it's been stealthy and incremental, getting imperceptibly worse and worse with every new update. And it kind of explains why I've gone from being a big-grid AI racer to almost exclusively being a hot-lapper, without really realising I was doing it.
I haven't even had a lot of CSP effects active, yet without me even realising it was slowly, surely, and surreptitiously affecting my experience.
I need to seriously reevaluate my settings now and cut out as much of the bloatware as I can, and I may well come to the conclusion that I don't really need all the bells and whistles that the CSP can add. The core experience should be the most important thing and I think I've lost sight of that over the past year or so.
Dusk and dawn are nice but I don't really enjoy driving at night as it looks pretty crappy in VR, so I'm sure I'll be more than happy sticking to daylight. The new smoke and particle effects are lovely, but they're just eye candy. Do I notice trees swaying in the breeze as I'm driving around? Probably not. Will I miss raindrops on the windscreen? I actively avoid them anyway, so no. Will I miss 3D grass in its current form? Absolutely not. I already prefer it without.
I think I've got a little caught up in the excitement of seeing amazing technical achievements, of witnessing things that I didn't think AC was possible of doing, and in the process I've maybe lost sight of THE most important thing: the thrill of the race against a pack of opponents and a smooth, immersive experience.
Lots to ponder over the coming days, and plenty of testing ahead. Hopefully I'll reach some sort of compromise with just a few key CSP features still able to be active, but I think ditching Sol and Weather FX might well be the first thing to try.

I agree and it is why presets are great because you can use the exact same conditions to test stuff out etc.

But yes for a long time i have questioned a few aspects of SOL over the vanilla, but the fact that on the click of a box i can remove it I have simply done that on and off and used it that way.
I have kept my opinion mostly to myself as there are some people who have to pick a side and so if you said that SOL was bringing some issues or that vanilla was better in some cases then they would do everything to belittle you.

The fact we can easily use one or the other means it doesn't bother me but SOL has issues with window reflections to name but a few.
And vanilla can look stunning.
I will comntine to use both when i chose, but no way is SOL better than vanilla aside from the date and night / dusk etc..

SOL, same conditions, note the windscreen..
Screenshot_tcl_jaguar_e_type_touring2_ks_silverstone_17-1-120-8-53-37.jpg

vanilla note the windscreen.
Screenshot_tcl_jaguar_e_type_touring2_ks_silverstone_17-1-120-8-49-39.jpg

SOL
Screenshot_tcl_jaguar_e_type_touring2_ks_silverstone_17-1-120-8-52-55.jpg

vanilla
Screenshot_tcl_jaguar_e_type_touring2_ks_silverstone_17-1-120-8-46-12.jpg

vanilla
Screenshot_tcl_jaguar_e_type_touring2_ks_silverstone_17-1-120-8-48-4.jpg

Your willing to ditch all this goodness?! :D I'd look to your settings - something, shader with grass etc. doesn't bog my system down with 20+ cars.

Night racing doesn't look great in VR (not on a low-res CV1, anyway) and the performance hit on my 980ti/6600k combo is too great for anything but hot lapping, so it's not something I really use (and therefore won't really miss) anyway.
I'm not about to ditch CSP completely (it's actually needed for a lot of recent mods, and there's no way I'm giving up 3D mirrors) but I'll be eliminating the bloat that I don't really need. I strongly suspect that Weather FX/Sol is the biggest resource hog so that'll form the start of my testing. And as I said earlier, I actually think daylight races (in my CV1, anyway) look better with vanilla weather. Cleaner, sharper, more vibrant and without the 'Instagram hipster filter' heavily-processed look that Sol can introduce.

And one other thing, nice find on the Porsche you posted last page. One of the best cars I've driven (street) in a long long time, tried many, not so much. You got a place for that guys work?
(even has GPS in the dash working properly)

It's Forceful, mate (or is it Forcefulodin now?) - you spar with him on the CSP Discord occasionally. He goes by the name wwav10 (Ghost) on the Discord.
His public FB group is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/143014099819273

Edit: he's fixing the mirrors

Last edited:
Night racing doesn't look great in VR (not on a low-res CV1, anyway) and the performance hit on my 980ti/6600k combo is too great for anything but hot lapping, so it's not something I really use (and therefore won't really miss) anyway.
I'm not about to ditch CSP completely (it's actually needed for a lot of recent mods, and there's no way I'm giving up 3D mirrors) but I'll be eliminating the bloat that I don't really need. I strongly suspect that Weather FX/Sol is the biggest resource hog so that'll form the start of my testing. And as I said earlier, I actually think daylight races (in my CV1, anyway) look better with vanilla weather. Cleaner, sharper, more vibrant and without the 'Instagram hipster filter' heavily-processed look that Sol can introduce.
Your earlier comments just had me testing various settings for the past couple of hours, thanks! :lol:

CSP absolutely improves the performance on my system. If I turn off weather FX in the CSP settings then it barely looks any different to Vanilla AC but with a huge FPS boost. I wonder if there is something really bad going on with your settings? :confused:

I have everything maxed out in AC video settings and most of the graphics optimisations in CSP turned on, new smoke, grass on ultra. Extra FX off (I only use that for taking screenshots)

I tested lots of track combinations and cars with all very similar results, here's some quick screenshots to show different combinations and results, they were only taken at the starting grid, but the difference in FPS stays roughly the same for the whole of a lap:

Front of 24 car grid:

Back of 24 car grid:

Specs:

i7 3770 @~4.1Ghz, 16GB Ram, RTX 2060, 1440p screen

Last edited:
..../.... If I turn off weather FX in the CSP settings then it barely looks any different to Vanilla AC but with a huge FPS boost. I wonder if there is something really bad going on with your settings? :confused:.../...

It seems to depend on the different systems used.
In my case, just tested: if I turn weather FX off, it does not look good and I gain only 9.9 fps (AVG), not exactly huge here...

Specs below

In my case, just tested: if I turn weather FX off, it does not look good and I gain only 9.9 fps (AVG), not exactly huge here...

Specs below
There is certainly vastly different results from different systems it seems. So does your vanilla look better than CSP minus weather FX?

Specs below
I'll do more testing later but I'm pretty sure that Sol is my main resource hog.
10fps is quite a big difference when you target 45fps/ASW in VR - that would probably enable me to add 6-8 cars to the grid.

There are so many different hardware configurations, AC settings, CSP settings, Sol settings, PP filters, car and track combos etc etc...
There'll never be a 'one size fits all' solution with all of the different variables at play.

Masscot, just out of interest, what kind of FPS are you getting with 20-or-so cars with CSP/SOL on, and what are you getting with them off?
Obviously the selection of cars and track makes a big difference, but I'm just talking general ballpark figures.

I soft-lock my framerate at 45fps because I'll rarely get native 90fps in VR with my current hardware, so it's tricky for me to give actual framerates above 45fps.
It's more of a visual judgment. With CSP/Sol in full effect I now get a juddery experience with my old 20-car preset, with framerates averaging ~40fps. With CSP and Sol off the experience was solid and smooth, achieving at least a steady 45fps, maybe with a lot of overhead for more cars. With ASW a small difference in FR can translate to a huge visual discrepancy. If you're only getting 44fps then it'll always look like 44fps. Get 45fps and above and ASW kicks in and it's smoothed out to a faux 90fps (with some visual artifacts - but smooth). So even 1fps difference can effectively double (or halve) your frame rate. The balancing trick is to always ensure that you are above 45fps so that ASW is always on and there's no jerk back to a low frame rate, however short that might be.
Native 90fps is obviously preferred but that's not realistic with my current hardware. I'm more that happy with 45/ASW as a compromise.

Does anyone else have a problem with their content manager locking up. It only seems to happen after I've viewed a car in the custom showroom though, but has to be force closed which is annoying.

Does anyone else have a problem with their content manager locking up. It only seems to
happen after I've viewed a car in the custom showroom though, but has to be force closed which is annoying.

i have the simular issue when installing mods it will freeze for about 30seconds then start again

i have the simular issue when installing mods it will freeze for about 30seconds then start again

Wish mine just froze for 30 seconds but it completely freezes so I have to kill it in the task manager. As I say it only does it when I've opened a car in the custom showroom. Just wondering if there's a fix out there.

Some tweaks for CSP+Sol:
You can leave Extra FX enabled but tick "Disable everything for interiour cameras":
upload_2020-1-17_14-44-41.png

while driving behind the wheel Extra FX is disabled.

And from PeterBoese on his Sol Discord channel, I found this infos about the different Sol PP-Filters:
__Sol is the base filter, where most of the Sol features are deactivated, like adaptive brightness and sun dazzle.

__Sol_ACC has cooler colors and is trying to look like ACC.

__Sol_Extra has warm colors and most of the Sol features are very present.

__Sol_HC is a special filter, realy meant for driving. It uses a different tone mapping function, where colors can clip. It has neutral colors and brightness is always high enough to see everything, like the autoexposure of a camera. Atm I think this is the filter to be used with Sol, because it looks realy great and it gives the feel of how bright the sun and the sky can be. It tries to have much more dynamic for the light.

But it's an induvidual decision, what filter you like the best. It also realy depends on your monitor. On the overview page there are also 2 charts to calibrate the black and the white level of your monitor. Black level can be adjusted in sol_config. This is very important for night time races.

Extra Tip from Peter, to boost fps with __Sol_HC, modify _Sol_HC.ini and change

[GLARE]
SHAPE=11 -> SHAPE=1
untested yet, just collected for testing this WE. :)
Maybe someone else will test it earlier. ;)

Something different, unfortunately not published yet, but the track looks imo very promising:

I'm rather fond of the Steyr-Puch from Legion https://perendinator.blogspot.com/search?q=steyr
so I made a few more (race) skins for it, nothing special since I know close to nothing about making skins, but anyway...

View attachment 882350

Available here for a while: https://mega.nz/#!CCAkySCQ!x8G289A7qZkIgFqxY2S5u_G3Tzo-cA4WtL0RGPi_x5s
@GzeroD : feel free to use them with your mod if you like.

It's a slippery slope once you start making skins lol. They look pretty good :cheers:

Your earlier comments just had me testing various settings for the past couple of hours, thanks! :lol:

CSP absolutely improves the performance on my system. If I turn off weather FX in the CSP settings then it barely looks any different to Vanilla AC but with a huge FPS boost. I wonder if there is something really bad going on with your settings? :confused:

I have everything maxed out in AC video settings and most of the graphics optimisations in CSP turned on, new smoke, grass on ultra. Extra FX off (I only use that for taking screenshots)

I tested lots of track combinations and cars with all very similar results, here's some quick screenshots to show different combinations and results, they were only taken at the starting grid, but the difference in FPS stays roughly the same for the whole of a lap:

Front of 24 car grid:

Back of 24 car grid:

Specs:

i7 3770 @~4.1Ghz, 16GB Ram, RTX 2060, 1440p screen

CSP is fantastic, can't live without it, SOL though is awesome but whenever i turn it off i am amazed at how many things it cuts out of vanilla, like proper windscreen reflections for one.

Also you need to be careful what is being clicked on as i have been messing with an Opel 1970 mod car to use in TCL70's class and when i raed the AI in that car had missing doors!
After much messing about (literally wasted an hour) it was the lods multi thing percentage, I had it too low so the doors went missing.
So god knows what else less obvious it was cutting out of my experience...

And i am amazed at how many people i have come across asking why their tracks were white.... people don't know enough about things like the weather changes per date etc....
Some stuff can break the game, like Oulton park with extra reflections on track clicked on literally look utter garbage, turn it off and it looks great again..

It's practically free and it need some common sense and the discord is very helpful, but its not beyond reproach.

And i am amazed at how many people i have come across asking why their tracks were white.... people don't know enough about things like the weather changes per date etc....
Some stuff can break the game, like Oulton park with extra reflections on track clicked on literally look utter garbage, turn it off and it looks great again..

It's practically free and it need some common sense and the discord is very helpful, but its not beyond reproach.
Lol, maybe we should generate background images with Clippit or Clippy giving nice tips on track start?
A image from Oulton for example, if you see this and don´t want it, turn "extra reflections on track" off, or winter tracks and the advice where it could be turned on/off?
Btw. the "normal" old default backgrounds from CM/CSP are for longer time now broken or is it only on my CM?

Ever wondered what Riverside might look like after a grass seed truck exploded upwind just before a long wet winter? No, me neither, but here's the result anyway.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/62r3xt4dqt64z99/skins.7z/file
Drops the unzipped 'skins' folder into the main track folder and select the 'Grassy' skin.
This was just a very quick 'n' dirty piss around - nothing serious, nothing for knickers to get all twisted about. It won't be uploaded to RD and doesn't even have a 3D grass config.

Hey i finally got around to testing the grass track last night, And it gave me a totally different vibe in VR. it made it feel like a euro track and those are my favorite. even know im american. i really think ill only be using the grass skin from now on. that was an excellent idea to do that:tup:👍:bowdown:

Btw. the "normal" old default backgrounds from CM/CSP are for longer time now broken or is it only on my CM?

Not sure, do you mean before the race starts there is your images on screen whilst it loads?

Regards the winter white track, i like it, but for every person that comes asking why it's all gone white, the must be hundreds who don't ask and just assume SOL broke something and bin it.
That can't be good can it.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.

Latest Posts

Back