ADAC RAVENOL 24h Nürburgring

• Thread starter zjn
  • 303 comments
Let's go racin' boys!

Obligatory Avatar change...

Obligatory set-up shot...

1717250696516.png

live tv section, channel SS1
Wow, I didn't even know this existed. Well damn, problem solved then. Sucks for the folks that don't have Prime or a VPN in the states though, race used to just be free to watch for everyone.

Rats. I can only get on-boards on youtube. Sucks because I really like the commentary

Following Farfus in the #99 right now.

Last edited:
Today was my first day at the Nürburgring GP circuit, after a very brief visit to Breidscheid yesterday.

My day so far has been a mixed bag of frustration, stress, annoyance, wonder, fun, pain and relief - pretty much everything that I was expecting.

Aside from waiting for almost 3 hours on a free bus, only to then pay €25 for a cab that I could have (and should have) called instead of relying on the free shuttle buses, I did eventually make it to the Nurb and had a quick bite to eat and a beer before catching the start of the first Qualifier session for the race on Saturday.

The first driver I spotted was Jimmy Broadbent, and I had a short but very pleasant chat with him about facing the Nurb in the rain. Although I am personally mighty jealous, I don't envy him his job this weekend! I also saw Kelvin van der Linde as they were setting up the #27 Red Bull Huracan - love that car, and I hope they do well!

I then made either the best decision or the worst decision of the week so far - I decided to try out my 'Emergency Back-up Plan'... walking back from the GP circuit to my hotel - that's 6 miles, on dirt tracks, in the pouring rain, after 4 hours on my feet, mostly waiting at a bloody bus stop.

Still, it was fun, and at times just amazing... the camp sites are crazy - the GTP swear filter prevents a more accurate description. I can only imagine that it will be total and utter carnage come Saturday night.

It's good and bad though - good insomuch as there's a carnival atmosphere, really something amazing to see (if not quite feeling a part of it, but that's maybe not a bad idea...); bad in that there are already some key parts of the circuit (many, in fact) that are in effect inaccessible because people have been pitched up for days already. I do wonder how much of the actual race I'm going to see, as 'soaking up the atmosphere' isn't really a substitute for actually seeing what's going on on the track.

Still, it is a big relief to know that I can make it back to hotel in an emergency, and that my outdoor kit (and fitness levels!) are up the job. The tracks around the circuit were almost like rivers of mud already, however, so it was a very good test of me new shoes and choice of clothing.

I'm now back at my hotel for a beer, a sit-down, and to think about what I'm going to do tonight. I've already walked 11.5 miles/18km today, so I won't be going far tonight, but tomorrow promises to be another day of adventure.

View attachment 1360103View attachment 1360104
What's the Hyundai/GT7 setup like?

Wow, I didn't even know this existed. Well damn, problem solved then. Sucks for the folks that don't have Prime or a VPN in the states though, race used to just be free to watch for everyone.
And it's got commercials. But at least it was kind of quick and not like the 6 or 7 minute long commercial breaks like others had.

Motortrend TV dropped pretty much everything and it was picked up by Speed Sport 1. There is a SS1 app but it never worked and the only way to watch was to connect a PC to the TV. Streams are still available on their site, but the Prime is on freevee so free I guess
https://www.speedsport1.com/

I wish PD would recognise Jim Glickenhaus's passion for racing and stump up for the 003, 004 and 007.

edit: as the owner of an E90 320Si, this reminds me of the old massive M6 meme...

1717254270345.png

Last edited:
Back