AI on Custom Races

Canada
London, ON
A_Mindful_Place
Hi Everyone,

I just finished a 1-hour "endurance" race on Northern Isle Speedway in a one make race of BMW CSL 3.0's and wondered if anyone else had noticed anything similar to what I experienced. These AI were on professional difficulty, tire wear was set to 18x and fuel was set to 10x.

A short summary of the race:
First 10 -15 laps of the race started out great, the AI was competitive
Next 10 laps or so consisted of the AI spinning every other corner as they burned through their CM tires
I figured this would be an opportunity to capitalize and manage my corner speeds and win in the long run
About laps in 80 I had been trading first, second, and third with a few of the AI would kept up. We would swap places over pit stops and best each other on track over whose tires were in the best shape.
I thought it was weird that they were keeping up though because I wasn't spinning out and they were.
I noticed the fastest lap was a 0:19 while I was consistently doing 0:22 - 0:24's.
Then I noticed when I was nearing the end of the race my car had no power. There were times when I was decelerating with perfectly new tires and no fuel limitation. I was a sitting duck while the AI caught up to me. Right on the last lap I was 0.1 seconds ahead of the second place car.

It was a really fun race, but I it felt weird having the game rubberband and limit my car's performance in order to maintain a level of difficulty. Has anyone else experienced this on other tracks where it might not be so obvious as on a short oval?

Hi Everyone,

I just finished a 1-hour "endurance" race on Northern Isle Speedway in a one make race of BMW CSL 3.0's and wondered if anyone else had noticed anything similar to what I experienced. These AI were on professional difficulty, tire wear was set to 18x and fuel was set to 10x.

A short summary of the race:
First 10 -15 laps of the race started out great, the AI was competitive
Next 10 laps or so consisted of the AI spinning every other corner as they burned through their CM tires
I figured this would be an opportunity to capitalize and manage my corner speeds and win in the long run
About laps in 80 I had been trading first, second, and third with a few of the AI would kept up. We would swap places over pit stops and best each other on track over whose tires were in the best shape.
I thought it was weird that they were keeping up though because I wasn't spinning out and they were.
I noticed the fastest lap was a 0:19 while I was consistently doing 0:22 - 0:24's.
Then I noticed when I was nearing the end of the race my car had no power. There were times when I was decelerating with perfectly new tires and no fuel limitation. I was a sitting duck while the AI caught up to me. Right on the last lap I was 0.1 seconds ahead of the second place car.

It was a really fun race, but I it felt weird having the game rubberband and limit my car's performance in order to maintain a level of difficulty. Has anyone else experienced this on other tracks where it might not be so obvious as on a short oval?
The only thing I can think of is boost possibly being on in the pre race settings, the AI can use other tyres which would make them faster but it wouldn't slow your car down. 🤔

I'm a broken record on this topic in other threads because it annoys me so much but yes, rubberbanding of some kind happens on every track in every race against the A.I., even if you have boost off in custom races. The first 50 - 75% of the races is pretty fair except for the leader usually shooting off into the distance compared to the other A.I. Then, as soon as you cross the finish line at that 50 - 75% mark, the cars ahead and behind instantly slow down, which is frustrating if a rare good battle happens.

I just want fair races that I can start any time and without worrying about dc'ing man :(

Could this also be bad oil? How many km did your car have?

And do we know if the oil can go bad during a race and, if so, will this be the case for the AI as well?

Custom races for me are either fun or are broken.
Some races I actually have to work hard to win the win race and like you say getting a good strategy to try and win.
But then on the other hand some are broken and broken badly.
I did interlagos and replicated the race from the manufactures cup the other week. 19 laps fuel x4 and tyres x10 (something like that) difficulty on expert. Start of the race was fine and was gaining on 1st place. By lap 7 I passed P1 and then lap 12 I pitted for new tyres. This put me 40 seconds behind P1. Anyway within 2 laps I was back on the tail of P1 and passed. I won the race by about 10 seconds. Checked the replay to find P1 slowed down on lap 12 & 13 to around 20/15 seconds per lap and then did normal laps times. Also the other cars never pitted as they all selected hard tyres and I was on mediums 95C60C0D-D3BE-48A8-B7E1-9783BC04315C.jpeg

Also did an Indy race at Daytona in the super formula’s and I breezed past the full field on fuel mix 6 with half worn tyres. Again I made it to include fuel and tyre wear but I’m sure the other super formula cars were in super fuel and tyre save. Was zero competition in this race.

Back