Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 38 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually yes, if one is proved to be wrong I have serious doubts about how well the other data was collected.

And about all the global warming scientist...if they were to prove tomorrow that the earth is just getting warmer because of cycles and not by man they'd all be out of a job so of course they are going to constantly blame human interaction as the cause. They want to stay employed and they want grant money. So I think that's a pretty bold statement to be claiming the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is the most creditable source on the planet...I'd like to see who has proven this to be honest.
no they would not be out of their jobs because contributing to the IPCC is not their main job and they would still have enough other stuff to do.
in fact, the contribution to the IPCC is generally not being payed for at all (except for some scientists from the third world who would otherwise not be able to take part.)

there is no other group of scientists in this world as diverse as the IPCC since it includes scientists from universities, the industry, research, government and non government institutions from around the world.

if the IPCC isn't THE authority on climate change then you please tell me who actually is!?

I highly doubt scientist work for free, they are getting something out of whether it be grant money for future projects, university tenure, and so on. No one works for free.

And you still haven't proved to me this...

vladimir
there is no other scientific group on this planet that is more credible than the IPCC.

What makes them more creditable then anyone else? Just curious? You can not make claims like that and not at least provide a link or reference to who stated that.

This is all assuming that something even needs to be studied in the whole climate change phenomena. I personally think we should quit devoting so many resources to it because I believe the earth is going to continue cycling from hot to cold to hot to cold no matter what we do to it. The earth is 6 billion years old and has survived many more "hardships" then 150 years of burning the remains of dead organisms, a 150 years is nothing in the span of things.

It's raining in California right now. So much for "global warming".

♪ Seems it never rains in southern California... ♪

I highly doubt scientist work for free, they are getting something out of whether it be grant money for future projects, university tenure, and so on. No one works for free.
nobody, huh? statistics in germany say that every third citizen here is doing honorary work for charity organizations or other associations.

And you still haven't proved to me this...

What makes them more creditable then anyone else? Just curious? You can not make claims like that and not at least provide a link or reference to who stated that.
read about it here:
http://www.ipcc.ch/about/about.htm

This is all assuming that something even needs to be studied in the whole climate change phenomena. I personally think we should quit devoting so many resources to it because I believe the earth is going to continue cycling from hot to cold to hot to cold no matter what we do to it. The earth is 6 billion years old and has survived many more "hardships" then 150 years of burning the remains of dead organisms, a 150 years is nothing in the span of things.
the IPCC is not doing any research of its own, those scientists are not working for the IPCC. the IPCC just collects data from scientific publications and reviews it in order to assess the real risk.

and you haven't answered my question: who would you say is the authority in this field if the IPCC isn't?

nobody, huh? statistics in germany say that every third citizen here is doing honorary work for charity organizations or other associations.

Yes people do charity work all the time, but it's not for free. Sure they might not make any money from it but they aren't doing it just to do it. There has to be some incentive, some gain. I do stuff all the time so I can write it off on my year end taxes or put it on a resume.

So the site and group itself said they are the most creditable? It doesn't work that way, if that were the case then I should make a website saying I'm the leading authority on something and then quote it saying it's a fact.

the IPCC is not doing any research of its own, those scientists are not working for the IPCC. the IPCC just collects data from scientific publications and reviews it in order to assess the real risk.

This is of course we are assuming there is a risk to begin with.

and you haven't answered my question: who would you say is the authority in this field if the IPCC isn't?

Beats me, I never said I had anyone else in mind, all I asked is what made the IPCC more creditable then any other website/group/organization. I don't follow this rubbish because that's what I think it is...rubbish science. You can preach till you are blue in the face that the earth is getting warmer because we burn coal to make electricity and use petrol to drive our cars but in my mind that doesn't make it so. I think these scientist should quit worrying about things they can not change and work on thing that will help reduce our resource consumption...which I think is a bigger problem then the earth getting a few degrees hotter.

Yes people do charity work all the time, but it's not for free. Sure they might not make any money from it but they aren't doing it just to do it. There has to be some incentive, some gain. I do stuff all the time so I can write it off on my year end taxes or put it on a resume.
if that is the only reason for you to do such stuff then i feel very sorry for you. however, just because you're selfish doesn't mean everybody else is.

please tell us exactly in what way the scientists who contribute towards the IPCC take profit from it, since you can't just make such assumptions.

So the site and group itself said they are the most creditable? It doesn't work that way, if that were the case then I should make a website saying I'm the leading authority on something and then quote it saying it's a fact.
you wanted a link to back up my claim that the IPCC is the most credible organization, so read the text there.

This is of course we are assuming there is a risk to begin with.

Beats me, I never said I had anyone else in mind, all I asked is what made the IPCC more creditable then any other website/group/organization. I don't follow this rubbish because that's what I think it is...rubbish science. You can preach till you are blue in the face that the earth is getting warmer because we burn coal to make electricity and use petrol to drive our cars but in my mind that doesn't make it so. I think these scientist should quit worrying about things they can not change and work on thing that will help reduce our resource consumption...which I think is a bigger problem then the earth getting a few degrees hotter.
there are enough working on these issues, too. both cases are important.

Um, maybe I’m just naive, but the gain that I get when I do charitable work is the feeling of having helped another human being. Seriously.

Well in spirit of keeping thing on track I'm going to go ahead and lock this, there is a global warming thread if we want to continue this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back