• 28 comments
Uruguay
Rivera
Tsukishima-TDUDT
auMXvhx.png
Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ2 '65
auMXvhx.png

file.php

The Alfa Romeo Giulia TZ (also known as the Alfa Romeo TZ or Tubolare Zagato) was a small sports car manufactured by Alfa Romeo from 1963 to 1967. It replaced the Giulietta SZ.

Built at Carlo Chiti's Autodelta, the TZ2 benefited from the engineer's experience as well as a strong relationship with Alfa Romeo and it's president Giuseppi Luraghi. Encouraged by the sucess of the TZ1, also built by Autodelta, Alfa Romeo purchased the firm to take over its competition wing.

The newely reformed Autodelta became responsible for all of Alfa Romeo's race development and team management. One of their first jobs was upgrade the TZ1, a lightwight, spaceframe race car, into a more lighter, lower and more powerful machine for factory racing. So the team at Autodelta, which included Carlo Chiti, Oarzio Satta and Guisseppe Busso, took the TZ1 and transformed it into what many have called a 'mini Ferrari GTO'.

Since Autodelta didn't need to supply TZ2s to privateer teams and meet homogation production requirements, they were freer to try new ideas and spend more money in the name of performance. The main difference between the TZ1 and TZ2 was the use of glass reinforced plastic (GRP) for the body which Porsche had made successful on the 904 Carrera GTS. This body replaced the old aluminum design and helped shed off nearly 100kg off the orginal TZ. Despite the fact that most cars were built off same moulds taken from the prototype TZ2, many differed in detail, especially with regard to the front fascia and venting.

Compared to the TZ1, the new TZ2's body was both lower and more purposeful. It was the work of Ercole Spada from the Zagato design house in Milan. Spada's TZ sat just 41 inches tall which was partly due to the new fully adjustable suspension mounted lower in the chassis. Ride height aside, the body was a treat to the eye and not totally unlike the Ferrari GTO, both having cut-off Kamm tails, covered headlights and bulbous fenders.

All TZ2 engines were prepared by Virgilio Conrero's Autotecnica Conrero shop in Torino. They took Alfa's DOHC Inline-4 four, gave it ultra-light magnesium casings and the cylinder head from the GTA. Together with hotter camshafts, larger valves and twin-plug ignition, the unit produced 170 hp at 7500rpm which was good for 257 km/h. The engine also received a dry sump lubrication system, so it could sit lower in the chassis without impeding ground clearance.

Chassis manufacture was sub-contracted to Ambrosini and Chief Designer Busso fitted new 13-inch diameter Campagnolo wheels to replace TZ1's 15-inch units.

Inside, the steeply raked windscreen limited space so reclining seats were fitted and the steering column was lowered as well as the entire dashboard. Since the transmission tunnel sat so much higher in the TZ2, the length of the gearshift was substantially lowered.

The racing career of the TZ2, while brief, was very successful. In 1966 the car ran in five international events, of which it took first class every time. Autodelta did take a stab at LeMans in 1965, but none of the three cars managed to finish.

Due to their high cost, only 12 to 14 original TZ2s were manufactured. Many of the old TZ1 cars were upgraded which further complicates the issue of just how many TZ2s were created. Two particularly interesting chassis were sent to Bertone and Pininfarina to flirt with the idea of what a road going version might look like. The Canguro by Bertone was a magnificent piece, but far to expensive to produce.

After 18 months of dominating the 1.6-litre GT class, Alfa Romeo switched from the declining GT Class and had Autodelta focus on a rear-engine prototype. Infact, the very one was powered by a TZ2 engine and marked the start of the Tipo 33.

Specs:

file.php

file.php

file.php

Findin' out that this wasn't suggested already is mind-blowing.

Vote for these other Giulias too:

Last edited:
Yea, one with the ugly livery.
1965_alfa_romeo_giulia_tz2_zagato__gran_turismo_5__by_vertualissimo-d50ase2.jpg

I want it without the livery and racing number!
screaming.gif
3 numbers and an identification strip is quite a push to be a "fugly livery". Suggestions like these are genuinely pointless.

hsv
3 numbers and an identification strip is quite a push to be a "fugly livery". Suggestions like these are genuinely pointless.
It's not pointless when I get kicked from cruising lobbies for driving a racing car, if I got rid of the livery it would never more happen, a base model wouldn't be good since it would still have that blank square/circle to put a racing number.

It would be awesome if every post but the OP in this thread got deleted now. (-__-)

It would be awesome if every post but the OP in this thread got deleted now. (-__-)
Why? Because everyone disagrees?

Just ask for it as a base model. you're saying this isn't in gt6 simply because it has a "fugly" livery, which btw it doesn't.

It's not pointless when I get kicked from cruising lobbies for driving a racing car, if I got rid of the livery it would never more happen, a base model wouldn't be good since it would still have that blank square/circle to put a racing number.

Are you seriously throwing a fit right now? Chill out.

Hopefully if a version without the race number is ever released in the game it won't cost 10 million credits.

I prefer most cars without liveries, so, voted. 👍

In GT5 this car could be painted, in GT6 for some reason it cannot be painted - a great shame because we used to race them and had a multi-coloured grid.

It is an example of PD's random approach to adding cars to the list - they added it with no thought about what cars it could race against with the result that it is in a class of one and then for GT6 removed the option to paint it, they also gave it far too much grip (totally unlike any of the other classics) - so that also needs changing!

Personally I like cars with race numbers, but I think all race numbers need to be changeable and for those who like their cars without numbers it should be easy enough to have a no number option without having an empty white roundel.

There are other cars it could race against, but we don't have them in the game - Ford Lotus Cortina Mark 1 - which it beat (a travesty that the 1964 BSCC and 1965 ETCC winning car and early Trans Am competitor isn't in the game).

They could also add the AC Ace Bristol which also produced 170bhp in race form and raced at Le Mans (the predecessor to the Cobra). Hopefully the classic car (which I have forgotten) which won an event and is due to appear in the GT series can give it some competition.

Last edited:
Back