Am I blind or is this just stupid?

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 40 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
If this is my fault then I apologise but why the hell can you not tell if you need to prepare for wet weather? At 1st I thought maybe it only shows wet tires on wet tracks. Nope it says Wet tyres on dry tracks as well.
So many times I start an event then it starts to rain after I just been through the pit stop and put a fresh set of race tyres on. Then its pointless going through the pit stop again because after that you have no chance in winning the race. I am not going to remember every single races weather cycle so why can't PD just add a weather forecast to each event. In real life we get a weather forecast so its not like it would be unrealistic.

Also add the option to buy tyres in the race track menu. Its so dumb that you need to go back to the main menu, into the tuning shop, buy the tyres, go back into the race track. Either that or just make tyres free like they were in GT Sport. If you can't give me a weather forecast then at least allow me to buy new tyres without having to go through 10 different sets of menus.

Also what does the red timer mean after using a pit stop?
At 1st I thought its cost I missed some of the lap but after you have completed a full lap it remains red? Can't work it out for the life of me lol.

Yea, you can't tell the weather before going into a race. And, you can only buy tires at the main menu. The worst is if you're in a Championship series as you would have to back out of the whole Championship to get tires. Both are a very common complaint within the community.

The red timer is supposed to indicate either a non-counted lap in TT, or a pit-out lap in a race. However, there is a glitch where often after pitting the red timer stays for multiple laps rather than just the pit-out lap.

If this is my fault then I apologise but why the hell can you not tell if you need to prepare for wet weather? At 1st I thought maybe it only shows wet tires on wet tracks. Nope it says Wet tyres on dry tracks as well.
So many times I start an event then it starts to rain after I just been through the pit stop and put a fresh set of race tyres on. Then its pointless going through the pit stop again because after that you have no chance in winning the race. I am not going to remember every single races weather cycle so why can't PD just add a weather forecast to each event. In real life we get a weather forecast so its not like it would be unrealistic.

Also add the option to buy tyres in the race track menu. Its so dumb that you need to go back to the main menu, into the tuning shop, buy the tyres, go back into the race track. Either that or just make tyres free like they were in GT Sport. If you can't give me a weather forecast then at least allow me to buy new tyres without having to go through 10 different sets of menus.

Also what does the red timer mean after using a pit stop?
At 1st I thought its cost I missed some of the lap but after you have completed a full lap it remains red? Can't work it out for the life of me lol.
What events are you driving? Maybe I'm just not up to them yet, but I haven't had any need to purchase slick tires, so I haven't had to buy inters/wets. 95% of my races are done on sport tires and the rest on comforts, which handle the wet weather just fine.

I don't know if it is just me, but if I was turning up to a race, I would come prepared and buy everything at the shop before I head down to the track.

The red timer is an out lap. As you haven't crossed the start/finish line on the track, then it times your lap as per normal but it cannot count towards the fastest lap of the race.

theres a weather radar on your mfd but its not the best you maybe find out about rain about 3 minutes before it happens at best

What events are you driving? Maybe I'm just not up to them yet, but I haven't had any need to purchase slick tires, so I haven't had to buy inters/wets. 95% of my races are done on sport tires and the rest on comforts, which handle the wet weather just fine.

I don't know if it is just me, but if I was turning up to a race, I would come prepared and buy everything at the shop before I head down to the track.

The red timer is an out lap. As you haven't crossed the start/finish line on the track, then it times your lap as per normal but it cannot count towards the fastest lap of the race.

You can't buy every tyre option before every race for every car. Youd be bankrupt in no time!

It's another of those things that PD does, adds a good feature, then it disappear in the next game.

Such Features include.

Dynamic time on most tracks
Qualifying
Decent AI
Circuito de la Sierra(This track was the tits, it looked nice and had a good combination of technical sections and high speed sections and it was long so it was a fun long race)
Ascari
Buying parts from setting page,

Last edited:
Such Features include.

Dynamic time on most tracks
Qualifying
Decent AI
Circuito de la Sierra(This track was the tits, it looked nice and had a good combination of technical sections and high speed sections and it was long so it was a fun long race)
Ascari

At least for La Sierra and Ascari we can still hope for.

Dynamic time, actual time and live weather data we won’t see anytime soon if ever.

Qualifying for offline races will only happen once Sophy becomes a reality. Something that maybe happens for GT8 on the PS6 or GT9 on the PS7 🤣

At least for La Sierra and Ascari we can still hope for.

Dynamic time, actual time and live weather data we won’t see anytime soon if ever.

Qualifying for offline races will only happen once Sophy becomes a reality. Something that maybe happens for GT8 on the PS6 or GT9 on the PS7 🤣

GT6 had Dynamic time.
The in game time was not based off real world but a ratio of racetime to track clock.

So you could have a 1:60 so 1minute of race time would be 60minutes to the track clock so you could get 24hours of dynamic time on the track in 24 minutes.

Dont know why we cant get qualify back.
GT1 had it, GT3 had it.
GT1 the AI had preset times and weren't on track when you did you're qualifying time.

As for real world weather, it could be done.
Seeing as the game needs to be online all the time, a bit of code, GPS data for the tracks location and you could get real world weather data deciding the tracks conditions.
This would be sweet, but for some tracks impractical as some tracks get snow in winter.
Snow Rally on the nordschleife?

The red timer is supposed to indicate either a non-counted lap in TT, or a pit-out lap in a race. However, there is a glitch where often after pitting the red timer stays for multiple laps rather than just the pit-out lap.
I've noticed this on some races (but not all), that the live lap timer is glitched and stays red for the remainder of a race after a pit stop.

It does, however, at least still classify laps correctly in your lap time log in the top right hand corner of the screen i.e. although the timer is red for the remainder of the race when it shouldn't be, a standard lap (i.e. not an in or an out lap) will not be classified as a red lap, so it is at least just the real-time display that is glitched.

I'm also a bit irked by the fact that each car needs to be fully prepared for all sorts of possible weather conditions in championships and other events - yes, it's realistic, but it is also mighty expensive to kit out every car you wish to use in these events with a full set of race tyres. However, at least the pay-outs for events has been increased in the last update so it doesn't make upgrading individual cars too difficult.

Last edited:
The lack of weather forecast or even a simple % chance of rain is mind blowing.

“Mind blowing” isn’t something GT7 is really lacking. Unfortunately, a good share on the negative side.

But it’s expected I guess. After all they’ve spent years meticulously recreating all of the car interiors and still forgot to give us proper options to make the cockpit view usable. So I guess it’s comprehensible that they would give us a real-time Weather Channel weather map on the “dashboard” while racing and yet would forget to include a friendly reminder that it might rain before a race 🤣

I’ve been shot down a few times for not being a games developer when offering opinions on games development but it seems like they could do with some end users on their team to bring simple QoL issues like this to their attention before they go ahead and do something like release a game

“Mind blowing” isn’t something GT7 is really lacking. Unfortunately, a good share on the negative side.

But it’s expected I guess. After all they’ve spent years meticulously recreating all of the car interiors and still forgot to give us proper options to make the cockpit view usable. So I guess it’s comprehensible that they would give us a real-time Weather Channel weather map on the “dashboard” while racing and yet would forget to include a friendly reminder that it might rain before a race 🤣
On the subject of dashboards, I drove the Corvette C4, and the dashboard is mind blowing, in a good way, it's imperceptible from the real one, but why can't I turn the HUD off that covers up all that lovely dashboard?

GT is a really bizarre game.

I’ve been shot down a few times for not being a games developer when offering opinions on games development but it seems like they could do with some end users on their team to bring simple QoL issues like this to their attention before they go ahead and do something like release a game

If they did that we would at least have menus that make sense.

On the subject of dashboards, I drove the Corvette C4, and the dashboard is mind blowing, in a good way, it's imperceptible from the real one, but why can't I turn the HUD off that covers up all that lovely dashboard?

Most likely due to the same reason you can’t adjust the FOV, tilt, seat position and toggle the wheel on and off on the cockpit view.

Bizarre indeed.

You can, in the display options of the pause menu or the settings menu before the race, you have options for race display info only or no hud. I've done 95% of the game without the HUD, it's brilliant

Last edited:
You can, in the display options of the pause menu or the settings menu before the race, you have options for race display info only or no hud. I've done 95% of the game without the HUD, it's brilliant
Really?!? I swear I looked in all the options! I'll have to have another look because that would be massive.

haha. This is Sony we are talking about. The company that is known for black listing any critic that gives their games less then 8/10. A critics job is to criticise. Have Sony never heard the term you learn from your mistakes. Well if you won't listen to any bad feedback then you end up with Gran Turismo 7. A game that actually managed to get a lower user score then Cyber Punk on Meta Critic. Possibly the lowest ever user score on a AAA game. At least its breaking records in some way thou.
Maybe now will Sony start listening to people. I highly doubt that thou.

Really?!? I swear I looked in all the options! I'll have to have another look because that would be massive.
Yes, you can turn it off. It's either all on or all off though, which is annoying. When using cockpit cam, I'd still like my radar & fuel modifier. But, can't have them without everything because GT.

theres a weather radar on your mfd but its not the best you maybe find out about rain about 3 minutes before it happens at best
I keep mine 93 miles out. Works best for me and looks like a normal radar you see on TV.

Last edited:
Same, I zoom in if I need more info for where the raincell starts, but overall if it wont rain that long but long enough to justify the AI going to inters or if going from inters to wets I may stay out.

I keep mine 93 miles out. Works best for me and looks like a normal radar you see on TV.
I am confused. You saying its better to have further out or closer in? I have noticed on the small tracks even zoomed right in the track is a tiny little white dot in the middle then on every other setting you can't see the track at all so I don't bother using it.
Is there a way to actually make it usable lol?

Just make sure you buy some wet tyres and you'll be fine. Watch the radar and pay attention to the size, direction and intensity of the system to decide whether or not you should change tyres.

Yes, you can turn it off. It's either all on or all off though, which is annoying. When using cockpit cam, I'd still like my radar & fuel modifier. But, can't have them without everything because GT.
I would like to see some customization coming to the HUD rather than all on or off. The half measure of race info only gives me the least amount of useful information haha. I really loved the simplified HUD option in GT4 (if I remember right) but as it stands, I need to find a car that will give me a fuel readout for competitive races.

A lap time in cockpit helps with keeping me on pace and letting me know when the tires are wearing too much that I will need to pit, but at least some sort of fuel information would go down well. The Ferrari GR.4 has a MPG readout in real time, which is useless. If it gave me an average readout then I could at least work out how many laps I can get done and run lap times to a target which would be interesting at least. Haven't done a pit stop yet with no hud, so that may be a bit of a pickle...

Edit: Mclaren Gr3. Has fuel, laptime, sector time +/- on in car dash. It is small, so while I can read it just, I think my 1080p tv may have found it's limits

Last edited:
I am confused. You saying its better to have further out or closer in? I have noticed on the small tracks even zoomed right in the track is a tiny little white dot in the middle then on every other setting you can't see the track at all so I don't bother using it.
Is there a way to actually make it usable lol?
Yes I keep it zoomed out to the 93 miles out view. Use the center cross hair as your location on the track. You will not see any track layout on the radar. You will see the rain coming and can decide to het rain tires or not. Its not perfect but I think it is the best view.

What, you think PD should drive their own game? Preposterous, they haven't done that since GT4.

Back