America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,741 comments
We have tiny lunches at a high school.
Like 5 chicken tenders, and literally, 5 or 6 tater tots. (I counted) And a half pint milk. $2.50.cAnd a bag of a few chips costs 75 cents.

A big, 18+ year old senior football player gets as much as a 14-15 year old small freshman girl.
Yeah, makes sense. :boggled:

Obviously there are other choices. I just described the hot lunch, the one that really has much change to it. But why so tiny compared to the others?

Last edited:
If I understood you right, the lunch costs $2.50. So you get what you pay for. I don't think the buffet cares who pays the money, would it be a 14 year old girl or an adult man.

Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere, but...

Has anybody heard about the burnings of Korans at a USAF base in Kabul?

Pretty serious offence. Obama has apologised and an army General has stated that American soldiers won't stand for this.

In response, protests in Afghanistan have led to 12 deaths, including two US servicemen.

I heard about it, but who actually burned them? I'm guessing US soldiers? :facepalm:

After the Westboro farce, this really wasn't needed. The nerve to do it on Afghan soil too. It's things like this that fuels the propaganda that all Westerners are evil.

Killing a dozen people for the burning? Over-reacting much?

Religion of peace. Yeah, right.

Troll on.

Here is the story. 20 people have now died as a result of protests; 18 Afghans, 2 Americans.

Troll on.

Here is the story. 20 people have now died as a result of protests; 18 Afghans, 2 Americans.

Not trolling in the least. People are dying over this. You don't think that's an over-reaction to burning some books? Yeah I know it's an important book to them, but sheesh, people being killed in the riots? Over something that wasn't even done as a deliberate act of disrespect?

I think it is a bit over the top reaction fueled by religious extremist leaders. I'd agree more with MazdaPrice on this if Mullahs weren't encouraging it. But the leaders at the US base are not without blame. They are already aware that the extremist leaders still hold sway over enough of the population to encourage this, and they know that burning the Quran directly leads to this. Accidental or not, that was an incredibly stupid move.

But to act as if this would never happen in the US over something we see as trivial is being a bit blind. The 1992 Los Angeles riots, sparked by a court ruling in a police brutality case, killed over 50 people. There is nothing culturally different from the US in how and why these riots are happening.

I think it is a bit over the top reaction fueled by religious extremist leaders. I'd agree more with MazdaPrice on this if Mullahs weren't encouraging it.

This is a bad development.
Up until now our problems in Afghanistan were all about the Taliban, who are Pashtuns, who are the majority tribe. We were even starting to negotiate with them for a way out. But now we have, I suppose inadvertently, angered the Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek, Aimak, Turkmen, Baloch and others who are the remaining population of the country, which is 99% Islamic. Another stupid blunder, own goal or self-inflicted wound which only fans their worst fears about us. It is our nature, and not fixable.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

But to act as if this would never happen in the US over something we see as trivial is being a bit blind. The 1992 Los Angeles riots, sparked by a court ruling in a police brutality case, killed over 50 people. There is nothing culturally different from the US in how and why these riots are happening.
Cincinnati race riots in 2001, ultimately sparked by the cops shooting a black teenager while in pursuit.

The most recent London riots were caused by race. Exaggerated and aggrivated by clueless idiots, but the original reason was race too.

Muslims have every right to be at an outrage over soldiers burning the Islam's most holy and iconic book. Ironic that yet again American soldiers are the guilty ones.

Yet of course you have those crazy extremists that will become even more crazy now and shoot every Western person on sight.

Its only a book that we humans wrote, and there are plenty of copys to go around, I can't believe people get pissed about such little things.

RhAsLiCkRaE
Its only a book that we humans wrote, and there are plenty of copys to go around, I can't believe people get pissed about such little things.
Because they believe it is much more than that. Whether you agree with them or not does not change the fact that burning the Quran is one of the most offensive things you can do in their culture.

What people believe, will never be significant to any other part of the universe... We will only be laughed at for fighting with each other, cuz that's what we think is important.

RhAsLiCkRaE

How can you not be completely enraged by this act. A book burning is a book burning, and the symbolism itself is terrible enough without the added insult that is directed at the populace; a populace that is supposedly under the protection of the US/NATO (their propaganda, not mine).

And BTW, the military claims that copies of the Qur'an were among the books burned, which included books declared to be inflamitory.

I don't see this act as being one that upholds or defends the Constitution of the United States.

Would you want these people, people who have already shown the propensity to burn words they dislike or do not believe in, to come to your country?

They should have restraining orders preventing them from being within 500 ft of libraries and bookstores.

Does anyone feel like eating at these following places right now?

1. In-n-Out
2. Sonic
3. White Castle

...I could really go for a nice Double Double Animal with Animal Fries and a 7-Up.

What people believe, will never be significant to any other part of the universe...
Neither will your life, but I highly doubt you would casually brush off a murder attempt because it means nothing to a hoopy frood from somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

Neither will your life, but I highly doubt you would casually brush off a murder attempt because it means nothing to a hoopy frood from somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

'Sup.

I think the whole thing is outrageous, to be honest. It shows carelessness and tactlessness on the part of the US military, not that they're usually tactful and kind. They need to realise that when they enter another country to fight terrorism, it is like they are in a friends house. They need to respect the beliefs of that nation and its citizens.

America should pull all of their forces out of the middle east. They try to help the people, but some dumb ***** screws it all up by something like the quran burning. Or some company gets nuts and kills an innocent family. Prevent things like this, and just GTFO of those countries.

Because they believe it is much more than that. Whether you agree with them or not does not change the fact that burning the Quran is one of the most offensive things you can do in their culture.

How can you not be completely enraged by this act. A book burning is a book burning, and the symbolism itself is terrible enough without the added insult that is directed at the populace; a populace that is supposedly under the protection of the US/NATO (their propaganda, not mine).

And BTW, the military claims that copies of the Qur'an were among the books burned, which included books declared to be inflamitory.

I don't see this act as being one that upholds or defends the Constitution of the United States.

Would you want these people, people who have already shown the propensity to burn words they dislike or do not believe in, to come to your country?

They should have restraining orders preventing them from being within 500 ft of libraries and bookstores.

'Sup.

I think the whole thing is outrageous, to be honest. It shows carelessness and tactlessness on the part of the US military, not that they're usually tactful and kind. They need to realise that when they enter another country to fight terrorism, it is like they are in a friends house. They need to respect the beliefs of that nation and its citizens.

A lot of jumping to conclusions and some either misinformation or under information.

#1, the two soldiers who burnt the (what I understand was two copies) books were on detail, burning more than just the two books, but a bunch of stuff. Once they realized that there were Korans in the pile of stuff they were burning, they pulled them out. This you can tell by the pics of the partially burnt books.

#2, supposedly its a sin in the muslim culture to deface the Koran. Hmmm. Then why were there extremist messages written in those two books that were removed from the detention center library. In my opinion, the individuals who wrote in those books are just as guilty, if not moreso, of intentionally defacing the Koran as are the soldiers who realized what was happening and decided to attempt to correct it.

Apparently there is a double standard in place, which is not surprising.

#3, the books were removed from the detention center library for security reasons, for the messages written in them by the detainees.

#4, 'burning books', as in rounding up every single copy and/or a 'ritual burning' of a Koran (think about that guy in Florida a couple of years ago), is, at least, extremely insensitive and at most censorship and suppression of the freedom of the written word. Despicable for sure in that manner. To dispose of two specific copies for a specific security purpose in a prison is different. If I have to explain the difference to you, you are incapable of critical thought. But no, we shouldn't be burning Korans indiscriminately.

#5, the President apologized, what more can he do?

#6, my opinion follows, what can the President do? Get us out of there. We have nothing to gain by being there. Only so much we can do about AQ, and we've pretty much done that. There isn't much you can do for a group of people who haven't evolved much from the time of Hammurabi, evidenced by the way they react to situations like this.

#7, since we are there anyway, security and safety of our folks is a primary consideration. In my opinion, no apology necessary for meeting that mission consideration. That may be insensitive, but at times, you have to do what is right for the mission, within the laws of armed conflict, without respect for overly sensitive folks.

Flame suit on.

DVNTST8
A lot of jumping to conclusions and some either misinformation or under information.

You can see that I previously said that the reaction was over-the-top. I don't excuse the burnings (even stupid as an accident) or the rioting.

My comment you quoted was merely me responding to cultural insensitivity.

I agree with FK, it was really stupid to burn them, even accidentally, but it's not as if riots killing 20 people are a measured and appropriate response.

You can see that I previously said that the reaction was over-the-top. I don't excuse the burnings (even stupid as an accident) or the rioting.

My comment you quoted was merely me responding to cultural insensitivity.

I quoted that part of your post to accompany the fact that the detainees had desecrated the books as well, but no outrage over that.

Probably misrepresented on my part as attributing that to you.

Back