Anathema's Oddball Collection

• Thread starter Anathema
  • 5 comments
United States
Heaven's Fence
Anathema-Kure
Justin Jectlol
After the Expo decided it had had enough of living (still not exactly sure what died on it, but the metal flakes in the oilpan gave me a hint that it was terminal) I was once again trying to find a car.

This time, though, thanks to the new job (at UPS) I am making enough money to actually get something decent for a change, something that wasn't older than I am.

So cue a good 2-3 months of searching for something that was:
A) good on gas, due to the new job's commute;
B) manual.

This limited my options a lot, if I'm honest. 'Good on gas' I use here loosely, given that the Expo and 240SX only averaged around 22 MPG (for both.) Good to me was at least 30 MPG highway.

The first serious contender (i.e., was actually planning to buy it) was a Hyundai Elantra Blue in really good shape (the Blue is the base trim model with a 5 speed manual gearbox) but by the time I had started the financial side of things, it had been sold. Lesson learned, if it's at a dealer, put a deposit on it before it's gone.

A number of other cars caught my eye, but nothing really stood out. Went to look at a Veloster (base model obviously) but wasn't a fan of the non-traditional manual 'box.

April 6th, I did my usual routine of disconnect from a league race while in a good position (screw Verizon, honestly) and then browse sites like Autotrader and Craigslist to try to find something. I did find something, all right.

20190417_184013.jpg

This caught my eye, and not just because it had only been posted that day. With only 26k miles, a clean bill of health (with a full service record history), a very good price, and a proper manual 'box, I was absolutely ready to go see it.

Since the dealer was closed by the time I had seen it online and contacted them, I spent Sunday and a good part of Monday thinking about this little copper 500, and nothing else. Got there after work, everything checked out, test drove it and was hooked.

They hadn't even had a chance to detail it/ do their full presale inspection, and as I was talking with the salesperson I learned why; they'd taken it on a trade-in that past Friday. Made sure to not make the same mistake as before and put a deposit on it, then had to wait until the 17th to pick it up and sign all the paperwork.

20190419_160339.jpg

So, information. It's a 2012 Fiat 500, Sport model, meaning I get a good bit of extra goodies to play with. Alloy wheels, upgraded sound system, hill start assist, fancy seats, etc. One owner, used as 'the fun weekend car' by an older gentleman and his wife. It's super clean throughout, I would be posting more pictures of the interior if it wasn't raining out (and if I had the good camera working again and not the phone's mediocre one.)

Having driven my parents' car (an '08 Elantra, nicknamed Old Mann) back and forth for a while, it's taking a bit to adjust to the copper boi. I absolutely love it already, even though the road noise is a lot more noticeable than in the Elantra.

There's no major plans for this other than to take good care of it, but I will be getting a set of the steel wheels in a few months, and some snow tires to go with them. My sister has a '14 500 Sport in red (also a manual, she did convince me to look for a 500 in the first place) and she's had problems in the snow before. Given my commute I'd rather be safe than sorry - while the Contis that are on the car are good, given past experiences with her car I kinda do need snow tires.

Other than that, there's one or two decals I'd probably put on the car (and one I have to remove, not a fan of dealer decals) and that's really it. I've only ever seen one other 500 in the copper color (Rame) and that individuality makes it stand out.

Last edited:
Nice choice - 500s are fun little things and they've got more character than most smaller cars.

Out of interest, what did you mean by this?
Went to look at a Veloster (base model obviously) but wasn't a fan of the non-traditional manual 'box.
I figure something's either a manual gearbox or it's not...

Ah, gotcha. I'd just lump that in with the general term "automatic" personally. Manual if there are three pedals and a stick, auto (with additional detail as necessary) for everything else.

I've not actually tried a dual-clutch Hyundai so not sure whether the gearbox is any good or not, but Hyundai and Kia's manual gearshifts tend to be okay at the very least and pretty good in some of the sportier models. The 500, incidentally, has quite a good gearshift I reckon.

Long overdue update. Five-plus years later... here's where we sit.

The Fiat has still been the daily for those five years, although as of recent it's been replacement parts time for a lot of things. New spark plugs, front struts, front and rear brakes/rotors/pads, rear shocks, front wheel bearings, and a new starter motor. Additionally, the Italian memes about electrics have come true although infrequently and I think due to general idiocity in engineering (and lots of cost cutting measures, if I'm honest.)

In the middle of 2021, the rear wiring harness was in the process of trying to fry itself. This took out a body control module that meant the license plate lights were out, so it wouldn't pass inspection... but due to COVID shortages, I had to wait six months for a replacement (thankfully covered under warranty.) Last year, before I finally figured out it was also the starter motor, it would intermittently refuse to start (but it could be bump started without an issue.) Poking around on various Fiat forums led me to suspect it was the battery ground cable underneath the battery box, and it was indeed that.

IMG_20240210_130003334_HDR.jpg

You're not supposed to come apart when I loosen the bolt holding you in...

Remember when I mentioned cost-cutting measures? The drip hole for the battery box goes right over this unsheathed ground cable, which is why they oxidize and rust. Didn't want to replace it with the same piece of crap that would then later do this, so found some shielded ground cable and made a replacement. No issues once the new starter was installed.

Until the rear wheel bearings started to give out. And now something else in the front end is making bad noises. Cars are lovely until they're not.

Speaking of...

In early 2023, about six months after the Fiat had been paid off, I'd been looking for something relatively affordable to take to the racetracks in the area as the Fiat is not allowed (rollover hazard.) I do not have the garage space for a convertible like a NA/NB Miata or something slightly older that would need to be hiding in a garage for most of the time. The only real criteria I had was I wanted a manual. I also was looking at running costs, so that also kept me wary. I was looking at GR86s, Elantra Ns, GTIs, things of that nature.

Then, browsing AutoTrader... this popped up.

IMG_20230311_140420326_HDR.jpg

The day I first saw it at the dealer. Not my parking job.

Someone had traded in this 2019 VW Jetta GLI at a dealer a few hours away, and it caught my eye once I realized what it actually was. They had it listed as a regular GLI, but it is not a regular GLI. This is the 35th Anniversary Edition, which means a number of special things.

• Only 3,500 of these were built and only for the 2019 model year
  • This package has the analog gauges in the instrument cluster unlike the Autobahn (the top of the line model)
  • Magnetically adjustable suspension package lifted from the Golf R
  • Brake package also lifted from the Golf R
  • At the time, it only had done 20,700 miles (!)

The biggest seller for me was that GLIs, even these, were on average $4,000-$6,000 cheaper than an equivalent GTI (even with this being a special model.) It was not without flaws, which is entirely understandable - it lived its entire life in upstate NY to that point, and there's some minor chips and scratches in the paint plus a small bump in the rear by the trunk, but it was all cosmetic stuff and things that I could overlook and fix later down the line if I really wanted to. The main thing is that it had a full service history and had been coated underneath to stop corrosion, which I really do appreciate.

IMG_20230325_182246962_HDR.jpg

The day I brought it home, feat. rain. You can see the bump by the trunk right before the right rear taillight.

As it stands today, it's done just over 29,000 miles total. Very comfortable ride, feels excellent even with the all-seasons it has on it currently. Made the trip down to VIR, then to Watkins Glen the following weekend with no issues. Never fails to bring a smile to my face when I drive it. The only plans I have currently are to get a set of aftermarket wheels to fit performance tires to for track usage. It's been to Pocono Raceway and Lime Rock for open track days, and that's the one thing it really needs to be what I want it to be.

Latest Posts

Back