Anyone actually met any drivers / famous racing figures in real life?

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 46 comments
Got to chit-chat with Derek Bell for about 4-5 minutes in the paddock back at the 1989 IMSA Miami Grand Prix. All smiles, real cool between practice sessions.

The previous year, I met A. J. Foyt at the 1988 IMSA West Palm Beach Grand Prix. My brother and I were about to take a picture of him getting his hair cut, and instead, he said "I'll give you an autograph, if you don't take my picture." I lowered my camera.

At DTM at Brands Hatch a couple of years back I got a paddock pass and met the likes of David Coulthard, Paul Di Resta, Ralf Schumacher etc.. Also once met Murray Walker at Goodwood Festival of Speed :) (Oh, and Nick Mason there too, and my Dad is now friends with him :D

Only met Henning Solberg (WRC driver) and some other rally car drivers. Also got an autograph from a Moto GP driver (from Honda Castrol), but I was too young and not interested really.

Anyone actually met any drivers / famous racing figures in real life?

I've met and know lots of race drivers, but from the local small-time levels on dirt ovals. At a more professional level, I've just met several of the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car series drivers at Mid-Ohio last year during the grid walk. That's from the top tier of that series, but it's a relatively modest series, in terms of viewership. I'd really like to meet some F1 stars.

Past and current V8 Supercar drivers at various events though the years, probably the most famous name, (outside of Australia) I've met was Ryan Briscoe at Bathurst in 2006.

As a marshal, I get a good chance to meet drivers.
People I have met include:
Jason Plato
Matt Neal
Gordon Shedden
David Coulthard
Johnny Herbert
Tiff Needell
Gary Paffett
Andy Priaulx
Tiago Montiero

I've had pleasant one-on-one conversations with:

Pete Lovely
Jim Hall
Dan Gurney
Brian Redman
Jack Brabham
Arie Luyendyk

At Long Beach, I peed in a urinal alongside Emerson Fittipaldi. While walking idly across the paddock, a young and to me unrecognized Nigel Mansell snatched the program from my hand and scrawled his autograph. I wish I'd kept it! At Dallas, I was given the bum's rush by the Brabham mechanics as I was photographing their car.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
I have a photo with Jason Plato but he is looking at the wrong camera :lol:
Also met a few 2 wheel racers:
Carl Fogarty
Bradley Smith
James Whitham
John Reynolds
Chris Burns
Niall McKenzie
When I met Chris Burns he was supposed to be with team mate Craig Jones but he wasn't there and sadly died a few years later, shame because he was one of ny favourites at the time.

I have a photo with Jason Plato but he is looking at the wrong camera :lol:
Also met a few 2 wheel racers:
Carl Fogarty
Bradley Smith
James Whitham
John Reynolds
Chris Burns
Niall McKenzie
When I met Chris Burns he was supposed to be with team mate Craig Jones but he wasn't there and sadly died a few years later, shame because he was one of ny favourites at the time.

That's a point, one of my classmates last year was Bradley Smith's brother.

That's a point, one of my classmates last year was Bradley Smith's brother.

Only for the year, bad deal. :lol:

I've never met anyone, got some interviews lined-up with Anthony West, Julian Ryder and Bradley Smith.

OK Here Goes......this is a fairly long list. In no particular order

Scott Maxwell ALMS
David Empringham ALMS
David Tennyson IMSA back in the day
David Brabham ALMS ELMS Grand Am
Milka Duno ALMS
Matt Kenseth NASCAR
Didier DeRadiges Ex Moto GP and ALMS
Kurt Busch NASCAR
Robbie Wickens DTM
Daniel Morad A1GP
Greg Biffle NASCAR
Wayne Taylor Grand Am
Ron Fellows ALMS
Daniel DiLeo Star Mazda/Barber Dodge
Mark Wilkins Grand Am
Burt Friselle Grand Am
Brian Friselle Grand Am
Marco DiLeo Star Mazda
GianMarco Raimondo Italian F3
Dalton Kellet USF2000
Gunnar Jeanette ALMS
James Gue Grand Am

And I'm sure there are lots I'm still missing.......but you tend to meet a lot of drivers when you've worked in the biz.....

:D

Rob

OK Here Goes......this is a fairly long list. In no particular order

Scott Maxwell ALMS
David Empringham ALMS
David Tennyson IMSA back in the day
David Brabham ALMS ELMS Grand Am
Milka Duno ALMS
Matt Kenseth NASCAR
Didier DeRadiges Ex Moto GP and ALMS
Kurt Busch NASCAR
Robbie Wickens DTM
Daniel Morad A1GP
Greg Biffle NASCAR
Wayne Taylor Grand Am
Ron Fellows ALMS
Daniel DiLeo Star Mazda/Barber Dodge
Mark Wilkins Grand Am
Burt Friselle Grand Am
Brian Friselle Grand Am
Marco DiLeo Star Mazda
GianMarco Raimondo Italian F3
Dalton Kellet USF2000
Gunnar Jeanette ALMS
James Gue Grand Am

And I'm sure there are lots I'm still missing.......but you tend to meet a lot of drivers when you've worked in the biz.....

:D

Rob

Was he screaming in your face? :lol:

I've met a few famous drivers over the years, but for me, meeting Peter Brock and Jason Richards are my most memorable meetings.

I met Jason Richards back in '04 when I won a competiton to meet the Team Kiwi Racing drivers. I met Jason and he took me for a ride in the TKR show car. I still have the hat that he signed for me.

I met Peter Brock about 2 weeks before he tragically died in a car crash. He was in Nelson for a publicity event at the local Holden dealer and he was signing a few autographs. I went and spoke to him for about 10 minutes and I got a few photos taken with him. He signed them and a hat I had. He was a really nice guy and it was such a shame that soon after I met he crashed during a Targa event

Back