Ariel Nomad unveiled: Ariel off the road... literally

Portugal
Valongo
Hcclipper
B6qn2r0CMAAkA7B.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/S...-Nomad-unveiled-2015-the-Atom-veers-off-road/
No, your eyes are not deceiving you. And no, this is not a joke. This is the first ever off-road Ariel car: the Nomad.

This wacky buggy is powered by a Honda engine, the same type of engine that the Atom uses, putting out 235 hp. The claimed 0-60 time is 3.5 seconds, while top speed (due to the tires) is limited to 136 mph. And the Nomad is also the first ever Ariel that can come with a roof (along with doors and even a windscreen)!

"The on-the-road cost will be around £33,000 in the UK, including taxes, but owners can spec optional windscreens, wipers, sides and a roof - making this the first fully enclosed Ariel the company has made.

‘It’s a bit of a moment for us,” admitted Siebert-Saunders. ‘It will be the first Ariel that has a roof and doors!"

So, what do you think? Off-road or off their damm rockers?

Last edited:
Atom's chassis architecture is ideal for this sort of use. Can't see it having a huge market though. Certainly not in the UK.

Roof? Doors? What about AC? :D

-

I love the aesthetics of the thing, but this bugs me:
05_Ariel-Nomad_8.jpg

Honestly, how much does a good screen cost? Or weigh? I'd rather not be driving something so beautiful with a dime-store radiator fan poking out the front end...

Still:
Ariel-Nomad_11.jpg

Screamy. :D

Where the owners are going, they don't need AC... An Ariel already comes with plenty of air anyways. :lol:

Also, good point about the fan, it is pretty much wide open to get hit with debris. A grille would be easy to place, no?

And them pipes man, it should scream like a wounded animal... :drool:

Oh, definitely. But once you put doors and windscreens on it, I guarantee it'll be a sauna inside (sharing that cabin with the motor), whatever the weather outside is.

You have a point there, I guess it won't be a pleasing place to be in hot environments... But in that case, hopefully you can take off the roof or something like that.

I think that's pretty cool. The skeleton design already had major potential for off-roading and all this does is fully realize it. I would think it'd have the ideal power-to-weight ratio for it. I can see this becoming a huge hit, possibly even something we'll see in those desert rallies.

I think that's pretty cool. The skeleton design already had major potential for off-roading and all this does is fully realize it. I would think it'd have the ideal power-to-weight ratio for it. I can see this becoming a huge hit, possibly even something we'll see in those desert rallies.

I agree, up and coming rally drivers could definitely use this for competition. It would even make a really good rallycross car in certain hands. It's a beginner friendly competition buggy, pretty sure many are now considering this as an option for their teams.

That noise doe. :drool: Ariel keeps making amazing things. That is the coolest off road production vehicle ever. :drool:

Yeah, Ariel has never been so alive as a brand. First they build a motorbike (which is also amazing, and this coming from a guy who is not the biggest fan of bikes), and now this. The Atom being such a sucess does help things, of course. Now to see if someone slaps a V8 onto one of these and then throw it at some sand dunes... :drool:

Roof? Doors? What about AC? :D

-

I love the aesthetics of the thing, but this bugs me:
The issue is that the radiator is totally unprotected from whatever might be coming up ahead. The front end needs a skid plate and a screen.

Next; the Atom Nomad WRC. :D

This with lowered suspenion, road tires and wheel and it's perfect. The Ariel doesn't have a roof and a windscreen.

No, just... No. As a matter of fact, I'd rather have mine without the windscreen either. Motocross helmets exist for a reason.​

Well, the choice is there, just pointing it out. The option of speccing the car with doors and windscreen belongs to the owner. Not much more to it.

Saw the car on EVO the other day, thought it was a pretty interesting move to switch to the K24 over the usual supercharged Honda outfit. Similar power, probably a hell of a lot cheaper. Makes it easier to get them to North America, too, I'm sure. Not bad on pricing as I recall, right around £40k with most of the bits and bobs from the show car. Expensive in the States, sure, but so is a Rally Fighter.

...Still think I'd want the Rally Fighter, though.

Saw the car on EVO the other day, thought it was a pretty interesting move to switch to the K24 over the usual supercharged Honda outfit. Similar power, probably a hell of a lot cheaper. Makes it easier to get them to North America, too, I'm sure. Not bad on pricing as I recall, right around £40k with most of the bits and bobs from the show car. Expensive in the States, sure, but so is a Rally Fighter.

...Still think I'd want the Rally Fighter, though.

Well, the only way to find out which one is better is if someone pairs the two and reviews both at the same time. The Rally Fighter is a more "civilized" (using this in a loose manner) car, but they'd have similar perfomances. Guess we have to wait and see...

I still think it needs something...

a2.jpg

:sly:

I did say that once before, Tex. And I'd laugh and say "oh, the American mentality you have... :lol:", but to be fair, I'd love to see that become an actual possibility.

And then you'd throw the car at Dakar and see what the dunes think... :sly:

I did say that once before, Tex. And I'd laugh and say "oh, the American mentality you have... :lol:", but to be fair, I'd love to see that become an actual possibility.

And then you'd throw the car at Dakar and see what the dunes think... :sly:
I didn't actually see--even after looking--I only now notice it tucked away in one of your posts. I don't think it's an American thing either, as the V8 Atom wasn't necessarily an American idea. It's a want for more power. Can you imagine how much fun that thing would be with Ariel's own monster powerplant?

(It might also be worth noting that I've actually owned only one V8 car (first car, an '86 Caprice wagon with an Oldsmobile 307) and it holds little place in my heart.)

I didn't actually see--even after looking--I only now notice it tucked away in one of your posts. I don't think it's an American thing either, as the V8 Atom wasn't necessarily an American idea. It's a want for more power. Can you imagine how much fun that thing would be with Ariel's own monster powerplant?

(It might also be worth noting that I've actually owned only one V8 car and it holds little place in my heart.)

Indeed, the Atom was transformed by that engine, it truly became an even more spectacular car than before. And the Atom was pretty good to begin with, so you know how great the engine was. And that American bit was done a bit in a humorous way, I don't really stick the V8 tag to just America, many have done it before.

And yes, the Nomad would become a riot if you'd put a V8 in it...

(Oh, really? Well, that's a bit surprising, what car was it?)

The issue is that the radiator is totally unprotected from whatever might be coming up ahead. The front end needs a skid plate and a screen.

This. Especially considering the type of terrain it's clearly designed to handle at high speeds. Imagine driving behind another Nomad, all it would take is a few rocks kicked up into there and it would be bent to hell and could stop the fan from working properly. I don't understand the design decision at all, it doesn't even look better than having a screen there.

EDIT: The one in the video has a plate on the front and not only does it protect it but it looks miles better!

Back