Arizona SB1062 Discrimination Law

• Thread starter GTsail
  • 173 comments
No.

A right isn't protected properly until someone says it is. That's a law - and a good one. The right continues to exist, objectively, whether it's agreed with or not, protected or not, upheld or denied. It is morally wrong that the US government endorsed the subjugation of "lesser" men and it is morally right that it no longer does so. It is morally wrong that the Ugandan government imprisons homosexuals for life and morally right that governments around the world are removing barriers to their equal treatment under law.

Until it's agreed and ratified it is, in almost all contexts, just an opinion about a right, an idea of a right, maybe a shared view of a right.

I agree with you about the morality of the examples you quoted, I share your opinion.

Some Ugandans believe that homosexuality is immoral and wrong. I respect their right to their opinion, if not their opinion. I actually support their right to discuss and publish their opinion in adult society to encourage debate amongst society because it is my belief that the greater number will agree with my moral opinion.

I say it's the right of a homosexual in Uganda to live their life as freely as a heterosexual in Uganda. I also say it's every Ugandan's right to be given a unicycle. A unicycle is compact, light, easy to repair, will improve health and mobility.

Not enough people will agree with the unicycle right for me to get it put into law, therefore it will never be recognised as a right, and up until that decision it was a crap right anyway. But I like it and will swear that I truly truly believe in it. I could probably pick a less fatuous un-ratified example but I'm sure I've laboured that point enough.

A right is not a real right until it is recognised and protected, it is a claim to a right. Some claims to right are not acceptable and will never become a right, however passionately I hold my perception of the truth to be self-evident.

In a thread where we discuss wider rights outside any framework of society or law - just plain, open, infinitive rights, then it can mean whatever we want, be as vaporous or fatuous or meaningful as we like. We can use the word right in its fullest and most ideal sense because it can be anything we say it is.

In a thread about American law (specifically Arizonan) then to be useful and quantifiable in the debate right has to becomes what it is actually defined as being... the socially agreed and ratified right.

The Ugandan law doesn't remove the right to conduct a homosexual relationship because their law is not internationally recognised above Uganda's membership of the United Nations. Uganda themselves are therefore breaching rights, but only because we all agree that they are.

No unicycles yet, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Until it's agreed and ratified it is, in almost all contexts, just an opinion about a right, an idea of a right, maybe a shared view of a right.
No. Rights are not subjective. They are objective - which means it doesn't matter who agrees or disagrees with it, it remains true (or false).
I say it's the right of a homosexual in Uganda to live their life as freely as a heterosexual in Uganda. I also say it's every Ugandan's right to be given a unicycle. A unicycle is compact, light, easy to repair, will improve health and mobility.
A right cannot be established with force, only logic.

There cannot be provision of unicycles without someone being required (by law) to make them and that necessitates force. You have to force someone to provide the unicycles, which is slavery. There is no right to a unicycle.
A right is not a real right until it is recognised and protected, it is a claim to a right.
No, it's always a right, whether it's protected or not. Slaves always had the same rights as their owners, they were just not recognised by law.

Again, you're talking about legal rights, not rights. You're using the term "right" to mean "legal permission granted by law", not "objective moral standard".
In a thread about American law (specifically Arizonan) then to be useful and quantifiable in the debate right has to becomes what it is actually defined as being... the socially agreed and ratified right.
It doesn't matter for what territory the law being discussed is - because rights do not depend on territory, as they are objective moral standards. Using the term "right" to mean "legal permission granted by law" dilutes what rights actually are and serves only to confuse and muddy the issue.

You are not the only person to do this - the UN do it too. This is part of the problem - not enough people understand what the difference between inalienable rights and legal freedoms is.

You are not the only person to do this - the UN do it too. This is part of the problem - not enough people understand what the difference between inalienable rights and legal freedoms is.

Or not enough people agree that it's fair to say a right remains true whether someone disagrees with it or not. By the nature of that statement it lifts the discussion of rights above this topic into the "wish-realm of overall rights".

They're not true unless I agree they are. I'm human and I say that this is a right. Okay, unicycles were crap for more than one reason. I say I have a right to be naked. All kinds of problems with that but one thing it isn't is a show of force.

You'd disagree for all kinds of reasons*, mostly reasons that are socially constructed and collectively agreed. I'm pretty sure you'd be keen to see things policed, as it were.

I don't agree that a right is a right until it is agreed to be right. Otherwise its simply imposition of will.

Society is an agreed imposition of will, and that's yet another debate, but even a society isn't a society until it can identify itself as one by agreement, and nor does that society foster any rights within it until it agrees and lists them.

I cannot agree with your definition of "right" in the context of any discussion about law, "right" in the altruistic sense exists only as a higher concept that cannot shape itself into any relevance at this level.

* EDIT: You might disagree, I prejudged your opinion for no good reason and I apologise.

Last edited:
I say I have a right to be naked. All kinds of problems with that but one thing it isn't is a show of force.

What problems are there with that? Given that it's the one "state of attire" available pretty much by definition to every human being, I would say that you do have a right to be naked.

If you ignore the ridiculous societal taboos we're mostly all brought up with, being naked means absolutely nothing. It's your body, it affects precisely no one, any more than wearing a bright pink shirt does. You can always be naked without using any force on anyone.

I think that's a good example of a natural right, although a fairly trivial one. It is illegal to be naked in public in many places, but it doesn't mean that you lose the right.

True natural rights are rights regardless of whether they are legally recognised as such. You have the right to life. Just because a court sentences you to death, doesn't mean that right disappears, simply that the government has decided to use force to remove that right from you. You ALWAYS have a right to life, and the other natural rights are logical extensions.

Please at least read the basic Wiki article on the different between natural and legal rights: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

True natural rights are rights regardless of whether they are legally recognised as such. You have the right to life. Just because a court sentences you to death, doesn't mean that right disappears, simply that the government has decided to use force to remove that right from you. You ALWAYS have a right to life, and the other natural rights are logical extensions.

In your opinion, in the philosophy to which you subscribe. I support that despite disagreeing with you.

Please at least read the basic Wiki article on the different between natural and legal rights: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

"At least read"? I hold certain differing positions on definitions of 'right' from you, but please don't patronise me by questioning my preparedness.

You should consider that article more fully as it confirms much of my own opinion as I have demonstrated. It also covers opinions held by others in this thread including you. Read some of the linked articles too for a fuller description of different sub-philosophies. It is not an explanation of one entire philosophy or of an entire overview of the nature of right.

In your opinion, in the philosophy to which you subscribe. I support that despite disagreeing with you.

Well how big of you.

So in your opinion, what is the difference between a legal right and a natural one? In simple, non-legalistic terms if you please.

"At least read"? I hold certain differing positions on definitions of 'right' from you, but please don't patronise me by questioning my preparedness.

I'll patronise you all I like as long as you continue to conflate legal rights with natural ones.

And what problems are there with nakedness being a natural right? You brought it up.

So in your opinion, what is the difference between a legal right and a natural one? In simple, non-legalistic terms if you please.

If you read the exchange between myself and Famine you'll find it explained there. If you have questions on that I'll try to answer them.

And what problems are there with nakedness being a natural right? You brought it up.

See my previous answer for 'natural rights', in that context I don't agree that nudity is a natural right, but not because of nudity. I don't have a problem with nakedness but I agree with the reasons why nudity isn't a social convention.

I'll patronise you all I like as long as you continue to conflate legal rights with natural ones.

You have the right in law to hold your opinion with dignity, as I said. It's not about being big, it's about honouring democracy. You only take your view because I hold a different set of views.

EDIT: And we might be going off-topic... this goes to overall rights as a concept rather than legal rights. Imo this thread can only find relevance in legal rights as the "natural rights" are actually conferred in law... and that's what this thread's about.

You only take your view because I hold a different set of views.

Don't tell me why I have my opinions, please. My views on the subject were formed well before I came into contact with you, and so far I'm not seeing any reason to revise them.

See my previous answer for 'natural rights'...

If you're referring to this:

I don't agree that a right is a right until it is agreed to be right.

Then you're essentially denying the existence of natural rights. Legal rights are rights imposed or agreed on by a group of people. If nothing is a right until that happens, then there are no natural rights.

Am I wrong? Or do you have some other definition of natural right, other than "rights derived from nature and logic"?

Is the right to life only a right if we all agree on it, or does it exist regardless? That's really the first point of logic in the chain.

If you don't agree that everyone has a natural right to life, then please explain why not. I would have considered it an axiom. It's tough to make logical progress if people don't have a right to life, because that undermines everything else.

Then you're essentially denying the existence of natural rights.

itshappening.jpg

Interesting article. Who knew there was more than one way to think?!

Interesting article. Who knew there was more than one way to think?!

Finally, you're being clear. You could have just said that instead of making me read between the lines. "I do not believe there is such a thing as natural rights".

But this is actually more interesting.

So you don't believe that every human has a natural right to life. What then is the starting point for your logic of morals?

As I've said, the axiom I'm building from is right to life, simply because if you are not alive then you are in no position to exercise ANY rights. If you don't have that as an axiom I'm interested in how you establish your rights.

I'm no longer trying to convince you of anything, we're on completely different pages. It might as well be a Buddhist debating with a Christian, neither is likely to convince the other. I am however interested in understanding how you arrive at the conclusions that you have, more than the conclusions themselves.

How, for example, (and to keep it relevant to the thread) do you reach the conclusion that no discrimination is better than discrimination? In the absence of anything else, they're just two choices on how a society can behave.

I agree with that article that natural rights tend to be weighed down with a lot of rhetoric and general BS. Confusing rights with what is physically possible is daft, and leads to all sorts of nonsense. And confusing them with what you want or what you think ought to be leads to shifting standards and subjectivity.

The article says little that I can see however about establishing rights in general. It warns against assuming that there are natural rights, but does not discuss any means by which a system of right might be produced without referring to natural rights. Being that the thread is about discrimination and rights, maybe you can educate me on your method of establishing rights.

I'm going to put an answer together when I'm less tired, if that's okay? Weak excuse but true :)

@Famine or @Omnis ; should this chain of discussion now go over to the overall Human Rights thread so that more people can enjoy my mauling? In a murmured, approving libertarian way, of course.

@TenEightyOne, please tag my name correctly in the future. I'm not "omni".

No, we don't have to move it. It still pertains to the topic, and they've already said the same thing in the human rights thread, I'm sure.

Am I wrong? Or do you have some other definition of natural right, other than "rights derived from nature and logic"?

Is the right to life only a right if we all agree on it, or does it exist regardless? That's really the first point of logic in the chain.

If you don't agree that everyone has a natural right to life, then please explain why not. I would have considered it an axiom. It's tough to make logical progress if people don't have a right to life, because that undermines everything else.
Therein lies the problem. The right to life is the starting point of the derivation of all other rights, but the right to life itself is assumed as a 'natural right' - that the right to life is something we just have and that's all there is to it.

That we ought to have rights and that we 'just do' have rights are different things. I fully agree that we ought to have rights and thus defining, observing and protecting those rights is a very good thing. But yet I don't fully accept that 'natural rights' truly exist objectively, that our rights are some sort of God-given thing or innate property of our species. That human rights are defined, recognised and observed is the hallmark of a civlised society IMO. Sadly, there are all too many examples of places where human rights effectively don't exist.

This is the type of thing that would happen in a 3rd world country or in the USA only.

It's hard to belive that a country like the USA has so many stupid people in high power positions.

This is the type of thing that would happen in a 3rd world country or in the USA only.

It's hard to belive that a country like the USA has so many stupid people in high power positions.
At least we aren't bankrupt.

By nature, governments will be filled with power-hungry people. And by nature, power-hungry people are idiots. Most governments around the world are populated by numbskulls.

At least we aren't bankrupt.

By nature, governments will be filled with power-hungry people. And by nature, power-hungry people are idiots. Most governments around the world are populated by numbskulls.

Aren't you? I woudln't be so sure (you are not technically banckrupt just because you have you own currency and you can "print money". But the time will come that won't be sustainable and then a lot of other countries will be afected by the crises). But even if you are sure every country in the world passes by good and bad economic cycles.

In my country a law like this was never even thought of. And will probably never exist. As I think it won't exist in any other western country.

How, for example, (and to keep it relevant to the thread) do you reach the conclusion that no discrimination is better than discrimination? In the absence of anything else, they're just two choices on how a society can behave.

I agree with that article that natural rights tend to be weighed down with a lot of rhetoric and general BS. Confusing rights with what is physically possible is daft, and leads to all sorts of nonsense. And confusing them with what you want or what you think ought to be leads to shifting standards and subjectivity.

The article says little that I can see however about establishing rights in general. It warns against assuming that there are natural rights, but does not discuss any means by which a system of right might be produced without referring to natural rights. Being that the thread is about discrimination and rights, maybe you can educate me on your method of establishing rights.

I don't believe in a natural right to life. Life happens. It doesn't happen because it deserved to, it happens. I'm just going to talk about human life here, we know that humans aren't averse to ending lives from other species if they constitute a threat to human life (viruses, alligators in swimming pools, Piers Morgan). I accept that it's right to end lives in that way because I share a common property with all life; I have a will for my species to survive.

Let's say you and I are alone on the planet with a finite amount of food resources. One of us will eventually kill the other. I will actually kill you early to make sure I have more food for a longer time. Pretend you didn't read that, just in case.

Do we care about each other's right to life? No, it doesn't exist in that setting because it is you and I simply surviving. That is what Life is. It will eradicate, consume and breed. That was predetermined in the first sparks of DNA and hasn't changed right through its evolution into a Human host.

Right now I shudder at the thought of killing you but I know that when the time comes it will be something that needs to be done and that my natural programming will take over from my social programming. Faced with the ultimate choice humans are capable of anything including murder and cannibalism. Wasn't going to mention the C word :)

The very concept that there might be a "natural right to life" is, imo, purely driven by a personal survival instinct. It doesn't become recognised as a right until you and I agree that we share that right and will observe each other's right. Until then we will compete punitively to be The Survivor. All life will.

Large social groups need to negotiate power in order to remain cohesive. Let's say that you and I happen upon more post-apocalyptic GTPers and eventually there are 10,000 of us. We're going to need to organise ourselves pretty well, and agree some ground rules. The first rule is going to be something about not killing, (we need the people, we need to breed, we need workers to turn the fields and build the houses and raise the children and to organise it all). We're going to say that people have a right not to get killed. Bob kills Dave in an argument over who spilt the mead. Bad luck, Dave.

We either do something about it or we don't. If we don't then we don't observe the right to life that we as a society have decided on. We need some people to sit, listen to Bob's story, the story of the witnesses, and decide if what Bob did was right or wrong. Soon that process becomes more and more refined and becomes a process of law that is due to every person named by the society. We'll have ways of gathering statements, preserving evidence, allowing appeals... and all to simply enforce protection of the rights that we have agreed are

Not slaves, they're not entitled to due law. Or women.

We all agree on the human right, but only because that right can be catalogued and exercised in law (otherwise it's a wish)

There's the problem, the rights are only a "should" unless society holds breaches-of-right to account. Rights are a product of the minds of humans in organised groups, they do not exist outside that. There are no 'natural' rights.

The society of which I am a part believes that all Humans have a right to life and that they are all born equally. I concur and am happy that my country is a signatory to the UDHR. The effect of that signing is that our courts must observe the agreements therein as part of their own judgements thereby informing our own case law in line with the philosophy and wording of the Declaration.

I'm not sure if I said that "no discrimination is better than discrimination" but in this context I'm clear that discrimination is actually required in order to form societies or to identify 'categories' of people for any reason. As I said at the beginning, all life is punitive, it is not naturally peaceful. Discrimination and force are required to even reach the position where rights are identified.

Morals are also a social construct. I shouldn't steal from you. Why not? I'm hungry and need to survive. If I have a natural right to life then you have no right to hamper me. I keeeel you.

I might be doing something that I don't think is immoral but you do. Where's the lookup of morals? We normally say that a moral instinct is just knowing when something is wrong, or that it feels wrong. That feeling is the basis of us agreeing what our society's rights should be. The law is the system of ensuring that everyone follows The New Way.

If a 16 year old boy has consensual sexual intercourse with an underage girl, it's a crime. But is it immoral? At what age would you say the border between morality/immorality is. It depends on the country you're from, some countries have much lower ages of consent and have a significant number of citizens in support of that. These aren't all tinpot third-world countries, there are some upstanding 1st world democracies amongst them, all reasonable decent people who just take a differing moral view as a result of their social 'contract' with each other.

Shared social views of right and wrong are expressed as morals which are listed as rights and protected by law. There are no natural rights or morals.

The only reason that global society is now discussing morality and right is because we can.The most successful societies set standards for others to follow (we refer to those societies as Civilisations). As communication spreads into more and more of the globe we see more and more societies rebelling against their leaders in order to attain the same democratic standards that we hold.

Because there's no natural moral or righteous standard, societies evolved very differently from each other up until mass communication really grew. Try asking for a breadcake in Manchester if you don't believe me.

Last edited:
How on earth can you prove how deeply held religious convinctions are, and how much it really infringe's on an individual's or entity's beliefs.

How on earth can you prove how deeply held religious convinctions are, and how much it really infringe's on an individual's or entity's beliefs.

I don't know, are you asking me to? Did you read the views of the various posters over the previous few pages? The debate has turned to one about a "natural right to life" as an extension of the debate on rights/legality in the proposed (and scrapped) Arizona amendment. That's also linked if you want to have a look.

In my country a law like this was never even thought of. And will probably never exist. As I think it won't exist in any other western country.

Apart from when being homosexual was punishable by death. Admittedly that was a long time ago and Portugal now has one of the most liberal constitutions in the world... but old-school Catholic law used to prevail very heavily.

Last edited:
Maybe the answer would be to make sexual preference a protected group like race and gender is, so that people can't be turned away because of it.

Hey if this law passed and I were a business owner, I would advertise that I would be happy to serve gay people. As a business owner, why would you lose yourself a potential sale over something like this?

It's just like the idiots who hang those 'no guns' signs on their business doors. They are turning away money.

One has to look at this law both ways though. Private property rights and religious exercise need to be protected, but at the same time, how much of a prick can someone be to try to pass this law?

I think Gov. Brewer did the correct thing by vetoing. More or less because this bill was just plain unnecessary.

Last edited:
That human rights are defined, recognised and observed is the hallmark of a civlised society IMO. Sadly, there are all too many examples of places where human rights effectively don't exist.

I said this in the Human Rights thread just now, but I'll say it here too for completeness. It's not that human rights don't exist if they can be violated, human rights wouldn't exist if they couldn't be violated. Human rights only have meaning because they can be trampled.

Back