Aston Martin Lagonda Rapide 1961

Sick_Cylinder
AM Lagonda Rapide.jpg

David Brown, the owner of Aston Martin also bought another great British name - Lagonda. In 1961 he launched the ultra luxurious Lagonda Rapide with four wheel disc brakes, full leather interior with seating for four adults and ample boot space for their luggage. For a large Grand Touring car performance was impressive with the twin carb, four litre straight six developing 236bhp at 5,000rpm and providing a 130mph top speed and effortless 100mph plus cruise. The price was equally impressive being 25% higher than Aston Martins contemporary DB4 and DB5 models or 2.5 times the cost of a Jaguar. Sales were low and the model only lasted until 1964 before being withdrawn so that Aston Martin could focus on their more sporting models. If you have £220,000 to spare this example is available from Piston Heads.

A true four seat Grand Touring car in the tradition of the Bentley Continental, Facel Vega, Alvis TD series and large Jaguar saloons - a category currently missing from GT, but which I am sure many people would enjoy cruising in.

Hehe, that's ironic , I was thinking about suggesting this car for some months ago, but never did because of some reason I don't know haha

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.JPG
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Back