BBC's Gaza Correspondent Alan Johnston freed

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Scotland
Glasgow
GTP_Mars
_42459996_johnston_afp_310i.jpg

After nearly 4 months in captivity, the BBC's kidnapped Gaza Correspondent, Alan Johnston has been freed by his captors. After about 2 months of no news whatsoever, his captors began making their demands and even as recently as last week issued a video of Johnston apparently dressed in a suicide bomber's vest - this was a direct response to Hamas who had threatened to use force in order to secure the release of Johnston.

I can only express my delight at this great news. Johnston was the only Western news correspondent to remain in Gaza when he was captured, and often took huge risks in order to keep people informed about the brutal realities of life in one of the world's most dangerous places. It is a testimony to his bravery that some 200,000 signed a petition for his release and even Hamas demanded his release, knowing full well how futile and damaging his potential murder would have been to the Palestinian cause. The international pressure brought to bear on his captors is also a testimony to the fact that he is a popular and extremely well respected man on the streets of Gaza itself.

BBC Article

About bloomin time :) I heard it on the radio earlier and with the first few words including his name I feared the worst :indiff: but this is great news and glad to see his release has happened finally!

Cant wait to see Alan Johnston the movie which will no doubt be in the pipeline and make him a deserved millionaire for all his work previous to the hostage taking :)

Enjoy your Freedom Alan :cheers:

Credit to Hamas, I know many see them as a terrorist group (which they are), but I think this could be a stepping stone for them becoming a political group. Without them he wouldn't be free.

Latest Posts

Back