Best 'My First RWD car'?

• Thread starter Conza
  • 33 comments
BMW M3 Coupe E36.

Reliable, cheap (although running/maintenance costs sometimes aren't!), brilliant handling and plenty of power!

It's your first RWD car so nothing too powerful or expensive otherwise it'll probably end up..not nice shall we say.

200SX/Silvias sound good however they aren't particularly classy.. Which is where the Beemer comes in, a good condition one will still look amazing!

'Nuff said. 👍

Last edited:
Since this is going to be a secondary car, get an s2000 over a 3 series, seriously. A 3 series is a sports sedan, meaning that it has to give up some concessions to have everyday practicality. But the S2000 is a true sports car. Drive these cars side by side and you'll never look back. And the well-known F20 powerplant in the S2000 is way more reliable than anything BMW has built in recent times. It's an engine built to rev, it'll take anything you throw at it. Handling is incredible as well, it's very popular in japan on those touge courses. Imagine it as the miata for people with more money.

I've never understood the notion that a sedan was practical.

Van = Practical, Stationwagon = Practical, Hatchback = Practical, Sedan /= Practical.

Even once you lower the seats, the maximum size of the object is reduced to the height of the boot - its pointless! And at my age, I still have all my hair, but with the weather being nice and rainy in my city, I'd prefer a coupe of a convertible anyday.

Yes yes yes, everyone agrees that a 3-series coupe is a glorified sedan, because its the truth, its a brilliant sedan chassis, and it gets away with being a good enough coupe chassis once you make it a 2 door, but that's ok.

Anyway, if a convertibles seats folded down, I couldn't see it being any 'less' practical than a sedan/coupe (I'd imagine they can't because of structural rigidity reasons, but you can have very tall things in the back seats - no roof and all).

its all moot really, since I have access to a Van and a Truck (Mercedes ML '11), and my hatchback has successfully moved almost all my stuff from one location to another before, granted filly up passenger seat, rear seats folded flat, and not being able to see out the back at all, but it did alright.

I know someone would introduce the 200SX some time or another - what about the 300ZX? There ust to be a red one across the road from me when I was a kid, amazing looking thing, some of them are quite fast too, they'd also easily fit under a $20k price roof... of course they could also be modified, which is a worry, but I'm sure there'd be some left that aren't.

Personally I'd rather have a 200SX over a 300ZX despite the 300ZX twin-turbo models being a fair bit more brisk. It's more on the subjective things though rather than the objective stuff, however the 300ZX is inevitably going to cost more for repairs since that V6 is so tightly packed into that little engine bay.

The 300ZXs main advantage over an S15 200SX at least is that it's a lot cheaper to source one but its extremely hard to find one that hasn't been modified or ragged on. S14 200SXs on the other hand are about the same price as a 300ZX for a decent example. And if you want to modify, it's going to be cheaper and easier to do it with the SR20 than the VG30. Of course if I was going to spend that much I'd waltz right past both and go for a WRX but you want something RWD :D .

The similar alternatives to a 300ZX of consideration would be a JZA80 Supra, however that comes with many of the same pitfalls regarding modifications and molested examples, or an R34 25GT-T which are a bit more expensive and, if you want a manual, rare as hen's teeth.

Back