Best PS4 racing games: Your pick (Top 3)PS4 

• Thread starter davidt33
  • 61 comments

Best PS4 racing games: What's your pick?

• Project CARS -Game of the Year Edition

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Assetto Corsa

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • DiRT Rally

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • F1 2016

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • DriveClub (Now discontinued)

Votes: 35 48.6%

• Total voters
Trinidad and Tobago
Port of Spain
davidtsmith333
Since GTsport for PS4 is taking so long to be announced/released I'm considering buying one of the others in the meantime and interested in getting your feedback before making a choice. I've been checking out reviews including those listed but have to admit the reviews are mixed which makes it difficult.

This thread is accompanied with a poll so please vote. You have up to 3 picks for flexibility. Please feel free to also comment sharing your opinions. Cheers.

Last edited:
I only started playing AC very recently, but it blows the others out of the water by pure driving sensation with a wheel. My other pick on the other end of the spectrum would be Trackmania Turbo.

Driveclub, easily.

AC isnt even a game it's a sim so it shouldn't be here smh

Last edited:
Thanks for your votes and comments thus far. Keep 'em coming. The tally should be interesting.

In my preliminary research I saw that DiRT Rally scored high marks, but I'm not too sure I want a racing game solely on rallies, so there's that.
As for DriveClub (which is leading the poll right now) the bummer with that is it's discontinued so I'm leaning more towards the current crop.

Driveclub, easily.

AC isnt even a game it's a sim so it shouldn't be here smh

Just because Assetto Corsa is a sim doesn't mean it isn't a game.

To the OP, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally and Project Cars get my vote but if you're an arcade racing game fan then Driveclub is fantastic and it has tons of content for fairly cheap.

Just because Assetto Corsa is a sim doesn't mean it isn't a game.
I think it was only a sarcastic comment. Otherwise it wouldn't be in white font lol.

Driveclub is my option by far. Turned out to be a fantastic and enjoyable game after the shaky start it had. DiRT Rally is a close second. The others just didn't really thrill me all that much.

Wow. DriveClub is really getting votes. Still in the lead.
What's strange to me is if it is such a good racing game/sim why'd the makers close or they discontinue it?

Wow. DriveClub is really getting votes. Still in the lead.
What's strange to me is if it is such a good racing game/sim why'd the makers close or they discontinue it?

Driveclub had an awful launch. It was plagued with server issues, and didn't have an awful amount of content.

With the season pass and all of its updates, it's like a completely different game.

Despite the game ending up to be rather amazing a year or so after it had originally launched, Sony must have decided that the launch lost them too much money overall, and closed Evolution Studios (the developers of the game). A shame, really, considering that the game was handled so well post release. :(

Driveclub had an awful launch. It was plagued with server issues, and didn't have an awful amount of content.

With the season pass and all of its updates, it's like a completely different game.

Despite the game ending up to be rather amazing a year or so after it had originally launched, Sony must have decided that the launch lost them too much money overall, and closed Evolution Studios (the developers of the game). A shame, really, considering that the game was handled so well post release. :(

Maybe they should bring it back.

As others have said, lots of games missing from this list. @davidt33 you forgot NFS (Rivals & 2015), Trackmania Turbo, The Crew, SLRE, WRC 6 and NASCAR Heat Evo.

My top 3, with all those included, would be Driveclub, Dirt Rally and Trackmania Turbo. DC is everything a next gen game should be (save for the disastrous launch, but what game has a smooth launch these days?). Dirt Rally is an amazing experience if you love how hardcore real rallying is. TTM is just pure fun and plays silky smooth. One of the best PC to console racing game ports ever.

With your poll, I picked DC, DR and AC. AC is undoubtedly better on PC, but even on console you can still enjoy the sublime driving physics. Shame it's a pretty barebones game and missing a lot of features. Also doesn't run as well on consoles (lack of power, can't really blame Kunos for this one). Should improve with future updates but unless you're a sim racing fan with a wheel, I wouldn't recommend it as first choice.

Now for the rest. PCARS is a buggy mess and still is, despite the great racing and content. PCARS GOTY should've been what vanilla PCARS is, and I would've rated it better if that's the case. F1 2016 I've heard great things about, but the last F1 game I played was 2010 so I'm not really qualified to rate it. NFS Rivals is pants, get Hot Pursuit 2010 instead. NFS 2015 has good graphics, but poor everything else. The Crew has a HUGE map and good customization, but (again) poor everything else. SLRE can match DR physics wise (depending who you talk to) and has loads more content, but lacks polish and looks like an early PS3 game. WRC6 is SLRE with less content and slightly worse physics, why bother? NASCAR I haven't played, but apparently it's just NASCAR Dirt To Daytona remastered. Go play that instead.

Apart from these obvious racing games, I've also noticed non-racing games with driving/car components that can be quite fun for the casual player. Namely GTA V, Watchdogs, Just Cause and Mafia 3. I've only seen others play it though so I can't really vouch for any of them.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the state of racing games on console. There's the upcoming GTS, but unless you're big into esports or photomode I predict it will be the fastest GT to gather dust. Forza series (both Motorsport and Horizon) on XB is always a safe bet, if you want to jump across the fence. But if you ask me, if you REALLY want to play racing games, get a PC ;) AC with mods is reason enough to justify that.

Last edited:
As for DriveClub (which is leading the poll right now) the bummer with that is it's discontinued so I'm leaning more towards the current crop.

Driveclub is no more discontinued than Project CARS, functionally speaking. I mean, Evo Studios was closed, but the game did receive an update after that. PCARS (especially the GOTY version) doesn't look like it'll receive any more updates if you bought it tomorrow.

I'll never really understand all the hype surrounding Driveclub. It's pretty — very much so — but it had such a terrible launch that it made GT6 look complete and well-rounded in terms of Day One status. The Season Pass was very good value — but I can't shake the feeling that was largely because of how crap the base game was.

I'm sure this'll be a controversial stance too, but I don't think the DLC was as mind-blowingly superlative as others seem to, either. Cars worked out to be roughly $1 each in packs: pretty average for the genre until very recently. Yes, the Season Pass made them cheaper — just like it does for any other game, really. The two most impressive things about the DLC was that Evo extended its coverage (though again, that may have been because of how poor the original package was), and that each pack included new events specifically for the new content. Now that's something more racing games should do.

That said, at its current discount price, Driveclub is sort of in a class of one in terms of less-simmy racers on the PS4. It isn't particularly deep, but it is quite satisfying.

Assetto Corsa, as much as it may be touted otherwise, is (almost) a wheel-only game (but not as much as PCARS). "Game" is almost generous, too: it's a fantastic sim, but there's very little you can do outside of hot-lapping. Having any number of cars on the track will mangle the frame rate, and the limited number of tracks will possibly bother you more than the (seemingly) truncated car list. Online racing is an utter crap-shoot. The console game support makes it feel like an after-thought compared to the PC.

But, when it works, it's fantastic. It will make you question how you considered GT a realistic simulation. I'm also cautiously optimistic 2017 will be very good to the game, as Kunos could find its feet in the murky console waters and really mature the game. If you were going to get two games, I think this and Driveclub would complement each other nicely, both covering some traditional GT strong points.

DiRT Rally is easily the most enjoyable one to me. It's very narrow-focus though (duh), so you may find that limiting if you're only planning on picking up one. I don't remember the last time I've been so intensely focused in a driving game. It makes even the low-power cars exciting, which is some feat. If you find yourself playing racing games more as a way to improve yourself against the clock, there's few games I'd recommend more highly. Just wonderful.

It's a shame Codies didn't really support it on consoles with any DLC, but I really do hope all the positive buzz means it'll see a sequel in the near future.

Project CARS is punishing on a pad. It can be buggy (though I've never had much problem with it). But if you want racing, it demolishes AC and GT. It also has far and away the best track list out of the pack. I keep meaning to revisit it and give it a solid go... but I've got too many games as is.

No experience with F1 2016, so can't comment. I imagine if you're worried about the narrow focus of DiRT Rally though, that an F1 game will have even less appeal.

Excellent comments and feedback. You guys are great.
I've read each comment a couple times already and I'm sure will be continuing taking in whatever opinions. Very interesting feedback.

I only own 3 on my PS4 and one of them isn't even on the list! Well, between Driveclub and PCars I personally prefer PCars, although you can get Driveclub for much cheaper these days.

I simply voted for Driveclub because it is the only racing game so far I spend a lot of time in. I liked pCARS, Assetto Corsa en Dirt Rally a lot too but Driveclub is the game I keep coming back to. So that's why I give it my vote.

I bought DC when it was on sale with all the DLC included for €20,- if I remember correctly. So I got in when the weather, replays and photomode where already included. Driveclub is a game that gave me the good old PGR-feeling and with the recent addition of the new free tracks it has become even a better game.

Didn't expect DRIVECLUB to be leading. It's still the best-looking game on any system ever (it's 3+ years old) but the gameplay on other driving games is probably a bit more appealing if I feel like doing some sim racing. For an arcade/sim hybrid though, it's a blast! :)

1. DiRT Rally
2. DriveClub
3. No other racers really merit a top 3 slot for me.

Driveclub is no more discontinued than Project CARS, functionally speaking. I mean, Evo Studios was closed, but the game did receive an update after that. PCARS (especially the GOTY version) doesn't look like it'll receive any more updates if you bought it tomorrow.

I'll never really understand all the hype surrounding Driveclub. It's pretty — very much so — but it had such a terrible launch that it made GT6 look complete and well-rounded in terms of Day One status. The Season Pass was very good value — but I can't shake the feeling that was largely because of how crap the base game was.

I'm sure this'll be a controversial stance too, but I don't think the DLC was as mind-blowingly superlative as others seem to, either. Cars worked out to be roughly $1 each in packs: pretty average for the genre until very recently. Yes, the Season Pass made them cheaper — just like it does for any other game, really. The two most impressive things about the DLC was that Evo extended its coverage (though again, that may have been because of how poor the original package was), and that each pack included new events specifically for the new content. Now that's something more racing games should do.

That said, at its current discount price, Driveclub is sort of in a class of one in terms of less-simmy racers on the PS4. It isn't particularly deep, but it is quite satisfying.

Assetto Corsa, as much as it may be touted otherwise, is (almost) a wheel-only game (but not as much as PCARS). "Game" is almost generous, too: it's a fantastic sim, but there's very little you can do outside of hot-lapping. Having any number of cars on the track will mangle the frame rate, and the limited number of tracks will possibly bother you more than the (seemingly) truncated car list. Online racing is an utter crap-shoot. The console game support makes it feel like an after-thought compared to the PC.

But, when it works, it's fantastic. It will make you question how you considered GT a realistic simulation. I'm also cautiously optimistic 2017 will be very good to the game, as Kunos could find its feet in the murky console waters and really mature the game. If you were going to get two games, I think this and Driveclub would complement each other nicely, both covering some traditional GT strong points.

DiRT Rally is easily the most enjoyable one to me. It's very narrow-focus though (duh), so you may find that limiting if you're only planning on picking up one. I don't remember the last time I've been so intensely focused in a driving game. It makes even the low-power cars exciting, which is some feat. If you find yourself playing racing games more as a way to improve yourself against the clock, there's few games I'd recommend more highly. Just wonderful.

It's a shame Codies didn't really support it on consoles with any DLC, but I really do hope all the positive buzz means it'll see a sequel in the near future.

Project CARS is punishing on a pad. It can be buggy (though I've never had much problem with it). But if you want racing, it demolishes AC and GT. It also has far and away the best track list out of the pack. I keep meaning to revisit it and give it a solid go... but I've got too many games as is.

No experience with F1 2016, so can't comment. I imagine if you're worried about the narrow focus of DiRT Rally though, that an F1 game will have even less appeal.
It's not just DC's cars that make the DLC fantastic as you've noted. The events they offer in the game are utterly brilliant, Dam Busters is the best pre-defined race this generation by far, an absolute blast.

The game also received over 30 track layouts in free DLC that included totally new locations on top of that.

All of DriveClub's additions have been great too and not included any filler cars to make up the packs that have been added. Plus, we got a free car every month for a year or so. A bikes expansion too. It's the shining light for me because every new update was anticipated highly - compared to other games on any platform where I don't really care at all even now.

Right up there with Mario Kart 8 as the best DLC selection I've had from an arcade or sim racer.

Driveclub has to be my number 1. I spent countless hours on and it may be my most played racing game ever, Its also the only game I got a platinum trophy on.

Wow again on the results for DriveClub.
One question though. Since the game has been discontinued what about online seasonals?
Do they have online Seasonal races and TTs like they do for GT6? Did they have, do they have.... or if they had/have have they stopped since the game has been discontinued?
Reason for asking is I quite like online seasonal races and TTs.

The online seasons do exist some sort of. They are mostly timetrials and are organized by EVO / Driveclub and the community itself. There is quiet some activity online. I don't have PS+ so I don't know how crowded online racing is.

• Community Challenges
DRIVECLUB™_20170109145120.png

• By Evolution Studios / Driveclub
DRIVECLUB™_20170109145059.png
DRIVECLUB™_20170109145044.png

If you have PS+ you can create community challenges, send challenges to your friends and play multiplayer. Without PS+ you are only able to recieve and play friends and community challenges.

Last edited:
Best racing game overall is PCcars for me, best sim is however AC. Didnt play driveclub or Dirt Rally tho (tried it on pc and it was insanely hard).

Since GTsport for PS4 is taking so long to be announced/released I'm considering buying one of the others in the meantime and interested in getting your feedback before making a choice. I've been checking out reviews including those listed but have to admit the reviews are mixed which makes it difficult.

This thread is accompanied with a poll so please vote. You have up to 3 picks for flexibility. Please feel free to also comment sharing your opinions. Cheers.
My pick is AC, Dirt Rally, Drive club.

If you want great physics and good to great sounds, a game that will be support for at least the following year then AC is a must, even if you dont have a wheel. I disagree with @slipstream that it's almost a wheel game only (certainly far better with one , i enjoy it perfectly fine with a controller which is a bonus as i like to just slouch im my chair without setting up my wheel. It has a rubbish career mode though but custom championships are coming.

Dirt Rallt, brilliant, nice clean and smooth graphics bar screen tearing here and there but never noticed myself until i watched a youtube vid. It's a very intense game, great sounds and Rally cross is fun too but a bit lacking in content. Seb loeb Rally has much better content but Dirt all day long is the one to go for.

Driveclub, beautiful graphics, this 1 though doesn't call me back, i just dont find the physics intriguing, though it is a good game and i played it a lot initially and bought the bike expansion too. Every couple months or so i will load it up and play it for a few hours then not touch it again.

In short, if these 3 games sound like they appeal to you, then why not buy all 3 considering AC, Dirt and Driveclub club can be had for the price of GTS release price alone, you could probably chuck in Pcars GOTY for that price too. It's a no brainer.

As other people said, Driveclub is my #1 pick. Not only it is legitimately one of the best racing games of recent times and and the reason I bought a PS4 (after Evolution Studios fixed up all the issues the game had at launch), it is also the only game I played among those on the list. Also, as already said, the DLCs were legitimately brilliant, with an avalanche of bonus content and an incredibly fun and fresh standalone expansion in the form of Driveclub Bikes.

A honorable mention for me is Trackmania Turbo, which is absolutely insane, hair-pulling fun.

I also voted for DiRT Rally and F1 2016, as they're the only two other games in the list that legitimately entice me. AC's console version seems to have forgotten to be a game and isn't the best racer in the long run, and PCars is... Well, PCars.

Evo didn't shut down mainly because of Driveclub but from what I read their PS3 games didn't sell very much as well. Never really played Motorstorm but after Driveclub I would've bought anything they make next. Hopefully Codies have them do something in the spirit of Driveclub. (give me and open world Driveclub physics and customization).

Driveclub wins for me due to that fact that it controls very very nicely with the DS4..since I don't have a wheel. I don't have AC but Pcars is really not much fun with a controller. Dirt Rally is great too, but Driveclub gives me exactly what I wanted from it really - it manages to capture what my imagination tells me it might feel like to drive a super car. Even though I realize it isn't a sim, it just has a great sense of speed and power.

No mention at all of Need for Speed? It's far from perfect but I prefer it to DiRT Rally, PCARS (as has been said really bad with a controller) and Driveclub (played it for about an hour). Hopefully PD come along and show them all how to make a racing game for the PS4.

Last edited:
...As for DriveClub (which is leading the poll right now) the bummer with that is it's discontinued so I'm leaning more towards the current crop.
DiRT Rally is as much a discontinued game as Driveclub in that it won't be getting any further content - the fact that the studio has been closed down hasn't stopped the game from being played at all, or being playable. Sony are still maintaining the game as a service (ie: servers on.)

No mention at all of Need for Speed? It's far from perfect but I prefer it to DiRT Rally, PCARS (as has been said really bad with a controller) and Driveclub (played it for about an hour). Hopefully PD come along and show them all how to make a racing game for the PS4.
Oh, I forgot about NFS. I'd place that as my #3. It seems to get a bad rep but I properly enjoyed it.

Just curious, have you tried AC used a controller with stability control on? I gave it a go last night driving the Lotus 49 and it's much easier, i wont be using it myself but it's worth trying for anyone who's struggling with a controller.

Evo didn't shut down mainly because of Driveclub but from what I read their PS3 games didn't sell very much as well. Never really played Motorstorm but after Driveclub I would've bought anything they make next. Hopefully Codies have them do something in the spirit of Driveclub. (give me and open world Driveclub physics and customization).
I would have thought Motorstorm and Motorstorm RC sold quite well? Both great games. Either way it's incredible that sony couldn't see they were useful, maybe they should have forced PDI to take them on.
What are the odds of that happening.

Back