Best PS4 racing games: Your pick (Top 3)PS4 

• Thread starter davidt33
  • 61 comments

Best PS4 racing games: What's your pick?

• Project CARS -Game of the Year Edition

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Assetto Corsa

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • DiRT Rally

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • F1 2016

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • DriveClub (Now discontinued)

Votes: 35 48.6%

• Total voters
It's not just DC's cars that make the DLC fantastic as you've noted. The events they offer in the game are utterly brilliant, Dam Busters is the best pre-defined race this generation by far, an absolute blast.

See, I just watched a video for the race and don't get it; it certainly seems the same as every other race in the game. It's a bit longer, sure, but it has three star challenges and has the weather vary over the length of the event. I actually thought I had done it, as I swear I've done a race on that track with very similar weather, but I believe it was in one of the other packs (as my trophy list attests).

I mean, I've done some insanely difficult events in Driveclub — Venom time trials, anyone? — but the only thing I got out of that was that it's more difficult than a usual DC race.

The game also received over 30 track layouts in free DLC that included totally new locations on top of that.

True, but that's due to rather unique circumstances — a separate spin-off was made for VR, and for whatever reason, Evo was tasked with making a lot of new tracks specifically for that version.

How I see it, there were only ever two options there: leave the tracks in the VR game as exclusives, or give them away as a final thank you to fans of the original (and build up good will at the same time). I get the feeling there would've been some significant backlash if Sony decided to charge for those tracks!

All of DriveClub's additions have been great too and not included any filler cars to make up the packs that have been added. Plus, we got a free car every month for a year or so. A bikes expansion too.

I think FH3 is averaging a free car a month (sometimes new-to-franchise, sometimes an FM6 model). AC on consoles is averaging a free car every... month and a half? I believe PCARS did a free car most months, too.

"Filler cars" are sort of up to the individual, too: I love the 458 Speciale, but it's barely different from the base Italia. It's also a lot easier to avoid near-duplicates when the base game has 50 models. :P

IIRC, there's only the two M5s in terms of essentially identical cars, and the one was a free download. I do believe the car selection for the post-game was inspired (why don't more games have the F1 LM?!), but I also think the vanilla game set the bar low. There was nowhere to go but up after that launch. Which benefits the folks that pick up the game these days for relative peanuts, as it's a much fuller experience. Even without adding the Bikes stuff, it's cheaper than a modern game!

It's the shining light for me because every new update was anticipated highly - compared to other games on any platform where I don't really care at all even now.

Fair enough, though I'm sure a similar feeling applies for a lot of fans of every other game out there — as the Assetto Corsa DLCs coming out today will probably show! :lol:

Right up there with Mario Kart 8 as the best DLC selection I've had from an arcade or sim racer.

Gah, don't tempt me. Must... not... buy... another... console.

:(

...a separate spin-off was made for VR, and for whatever reason, Evo was tasked with making a lot of new tracks specifically for that version.
Actually, the tracks had largely been made before Sony closed the studio. We had the 'Old Town' urban tracks just before the announcement and it was very much their plan, I feel, to release a location's urban additions per month - the same way as they had been doing with the additional track for each location cited in the DLC release schedule during the first eight months.

Evolution got called back to tidy up those tracks for VR and regular game release.

...I also think the vanilla game set the bar low. There was nowhere to go but up after that launch.
True, but the game was designed to expand for the first year or so - partially as a pre-scheduled DLC and partially on a fan-fuelled suggestion basis. It kept the interest levels up for those who liked the game.

Last edited:
Driveclub is the most fun and the most polished. If you want serious racing, go pCARS (Only played a quick demo so can't judge). For simulation, go for AC.

Looks like I'll be putting DriveClub on the "To Get" list.
....That and one other to begin with. Not sure which other one yet. Could be Assetto Corsa or Project Cars.

Question: "Project Cars - Game of the Year Edition". Am I understanding that edition is a UK - PAL game? Meaning that logging in via PSN US accounts for online seasonals and DLCs are not valid?

Last edited:
Drive club be my number 1 cause I know it's going to be good I can't wait for my ps4 to get here so I can buy drive club for $7 off ps store via ps plus and start playing (after the arduous download time):)

Drive club be my number 1 cause I know it's going to be good I can't wait for my ps4 to get here so I can buy drive club for $7 off ps store via ps plus and start playing (after the arduous download time):)

I don't think you want the $7 ps plus version anymore. I think there's now a more complete version that is a better deal. The ps plus version is basically a "cut down" version if I'm not mistaken. If u get it for $7 you end up having to pay more to get all the dlc content.

I don't think you want the $7 ps plus version anymore. I think there's now a more complete version that is a better deal. The ps plus version is basically a "cut down" version if I'm not mistaken. If u get it for $7 you end up having to pay more to get all the dlc content.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/fr...re_EMEAR_Always_ON_Google&emcid=ps-we-5-89521

It seems to be the complete edition for €14,99. All DLC included except for the bike expansion and final car dlc's (Jag 220 and Agera). That is a hell of a package :D

The cutdown version of Driveclub was removed from the store if I remember correctly. Can someone confirm?

....That and one other to begin with. Not sure which other one yet. Could be Assetto Corsa or Project Cars.

Question: "Project Cars - Game of the Year Edition". Am I understanding that edition is a UK - PAL game? Meaning that logging in via PSN US accounts for online seasonals and DLCs are not valid?
I paid £10 for the game and season pass. Bloody bargain. I keep telling my friends to buy it just to enjoy the graphics, even if one only gets 2 weeks out of it that's well worth it.TBH January of 2017 is a great time to have access to PSN EU store if you're a racing fan.

For us, the PS4 version is called Project CARS Complete Edition. Here it is on the PS Store.

What do you think of Driveclub's physics @SlipZtrEm I think it's the best simcade physics out there and it's the main reason I like the game.

I think FH3 shades it in finding a balance between approachability and simulation, but driving in DC tends to be more exciting (probably due to the open-world nature of FH3 allowing for more mistakes at speed). Which I suppose is the point of an arcade title, really.

Actually, the tracks had largely been made before Sony closed the studio. We had the 'Old Town' urban tracks just before the announcement and it was very much their plan, I feel, to release a location's urban additions per month - the same way as they had been doing with the additional track for each location cited in the DLC release schedule during the first eight months.

Evolution got called back to tidy up those tracks for VR and regular game release.

Huh, interesting. I suppose we'll never know, unfortunately.

True, but the game was designed to expand for the first year or so - partially as a pre-scheduled DLC and partially on a fan-fuelled suggestion basis. It kept the interest levels up for those who liked the game.

Oddly, I see this levelled as a negative of games like Forza all the time.

Oddly, I see this levelled as a negative of games like Forza all the time.
DriveClub's development team more or less probably had to model every addition from scratch. Turn 10/Playground have a massive library of models from the Xbox 360 generation of which some cars are recycled either as part of the vanilla game or as DLC. For the most part, the models in FH3 hold up well, but then some cars have body kit options whose model quality seem like they're from the original Forza...

I always think if possible you should really try out or play (even demos) as many games as possible to see what is out there as until you play a game you just can't tell reading mixed views. I have all those plus many more. I really didn't think I would like AC but gave it a go and the driving is great on a wheel but the graphics and finish are not the best. Driveclub for me is the best overall package I spent most hours on with challenges and tour games. It has the best photomode and handling physics for a quick pick em up and play arcade sim plus the option for the excellent bikes! Plus very quick loading times(even for today). At these low jan sale prices all these games are a bargain and worth a try as you maybe in for a little wait for GTS we shall see but I predict a late summer release. :ill::cheers:

DriveClub's development team more or less probably had to model every addition from scratch. Turn 10/Playground have a massive library of models from the Xbox 360 generation of which some cars are recycled either as part of the vanilla game or as DLC. For the most part, the models in FH3 hold up well, but then some cars have body kit options whose model quality seem like they're from the original Forza...

Except simply glancing at FM6 or FH3 DLC confirms this isn't the case. FM6's DLC was very nearly entirely new-to-franchise models, while FH3's tends to bring back a single car from the 360 era each month (updated with some more modern features, not carried over wholesale like most of GT's Standards, for example). FM5 — and, to an extent, FH2 — was more guilty of this, sure. But it's a pretty tired, inaccurate trope at this point. It's right up there with the suggestion Forza games are hypercar-heavy, or vastly US-centric.

There are the handful of very poor models that have carried over the same errors across generations though: the R32, the 22B, the SW20 MR2, and the NA1 NSX come to mind (though the latter seems to have had some work done, mercifully).

That's sort of my point: some folks out there are against games being designed from the start with DLC in mind. I'm not one of them.
At these low jan sale prices all these games are a bargain and worth a try

This, so much. Of course, over here in North America, we haven't got the amazing PS Store January sale going on... :(

I just enjoy racing games in general, so the more the better for me. I can't imagine intentionally limiting myself to a single franchise in this day and age.

...Huh, interesting. I suppose we'll never know, unfortunately...
I based my suggestion on a reply tweet from Rushy just before the VR version launched, saying that a number of the Evolution team had been called back in to complete the work they had started on the urban tracks - only the schedule of a monthly track release is supposition on my part really.

I've been wanting to ask, if someone will be so kind to explain.
I'm not familiar with any other racing/sim games besides GT6. In GT6 I've never had to purchase any cars or whatever with real money, just credits earned from the initial career and seasonal races with is cool.
I've been seeing some comments related to the other games where I'm getting the feeling there are cars and packs or DLCs that one has to purchase with real money and also have to have some sort of monetary subscription.
Is this the case with the other games or is it similar to GT6 whereby one can earn credits from career and online seasonal races that you can bank and purchase whatever with?
Please forgive my ignorance. I tried to do some initial searches to find out but wasn't successful.

GT6 is quite rare in that the DLC has been free @davidt33 - Most other racing games have varying amounts of DLC for a variety of prices - unfortunately I haven't been able to afford those other games, so can't give exact quantity/price figures for them. DiRT Rally had no DLC and I'm not sure about CM's other game F1 2016 if that does or not.

Of the games in this poll, only Assetto Corsa still has fresh DLC on the horizon. The others either don't/won't have any, or are old enough that you can now buy a bundle that pretty much includes all the dlc in the price...

I've been wanting to ask, if someone will be so kind to explain.
I'm not familiar with any other racing/sim games besides GT6. In GT6 I've never had to purchase any cars or whatever with real money, just credits earned from the initial career and seasonal races with is cool.
I've been seeing some comments related to the other games where I'm getting the feeling there are cars and packs or DLCs that one has to purchase with real money and also have to have some sort of monetary subscription.
Is this the case with the other games or is it similar to GT6 whereby one can earn credits from career and online seasonal races that you can bank and purchase whatever with?
Please forgive my ignorance. I tried to do some initial searches to find out but wasn't successful.

None of the games in your poll have subscription services. Both the PS4 and XB1 do require a subscription to either PS+ or XBL Gold to race against other people online, however.

Season Passes are available for Assetto Corsa and Driveclub. The full contents of both are known, since AC's were detailed in advance, and Driveclub's have all come and released by now. Basically, Season Passes offer you a discount on numerous DLC packs, instead of the piecemeal approach. For AC, the contents are:
  • The Japanese Car Pack (already available)
  • The Red Pack (already available)
  • Porsche Pack Volume I (already available)
  • Porsche Pack Volume II (already available)
  • Porsche Pack Volume III (release date unknown)
PCARS never got a Season Pass, but the Complete/GOTY Edition packs everything in. The two Codies games don't have any DLC to my knowledge (at least, not until the VR update comes to DiRT).

Driveclub's DLC is the cheapest of the bunch, but it's also the oldest game, so it's been discounted a few times now. None of the games feel particularly unfinished without the DLC though, and you can scour the PS Store for a fair amount of free content for both DC and PCARS. Most games average around $1 per additional car.

Well I've got some good news. Went to a games store this afternoon to see which games they had in stock. They had DriveClub, Project Cars and Asseto Corsa. Thought I'd buy one to begin with. Others to purchase somewhere down the line.
Ended up buying Project Cars - The Complete Edition....in as much as it was the complete edition so wouldn't have to worry about having to purchase DLC content for the while.
I guess I'm going to check out relevant PCars forum now to familiarise myself with the game etc before jumping in.
At least now I can use my PS4 to do some racing other than watching movies. Woot woot!!!

Just wanted to give an update. Since my last posting of 15th January approx 3 weeks ago saying I bought Project Cars (The Complete Edition) I've been playing it very regularly and enjoying it tremendously....it's like I just can't stop playing. it really is a great game/sim and I have to confess the Career mode is way more interesting than GT6.
I've been progressing having decided to start with Career category and on Season 3 right now. Been doing pretty good winning mainly all my races. Been going through on "Intermediate" level. Thought that was a fair middle ground.

Thanks again for all your input. Much appreciated.

I didn't see if you mentioned if you were using a wheel or the DS4.

I've been running a T150 with Assetto Corsa and it's the best drive I've experienced on a sim... ever.

I just wish there was more to do within the game.

I also have Project Cars if you wish to add me we can test, tune, race.

PS4 username

IcedGT

XXI
I didn't see if you mentioned if you were using a wheel or the DS4.

I've been running a T150 with Assetto Corsa and it's the best drive I've experienced on a sim... ever.

I just wish there was more to do within the game.

I also have Project Cars if you wish to add me we can test, tune, race.

PS4 username

IcedGT

Sorry if I didn't mention before. I have a G29 wheel. Best investment ever. Makes racing so much more enjoyable and not as stressful on the hands and fingers as with a DS4.
And thanks for the invite. I'll add you/send a friend request soon as I log in again. My PSN is davidtsmith333 as you see under my avatar so you'll recognise the friend request.

One thing. I haven't started racing online with Project Cars as yet since from what I gather one has to have a PS plus subscription in order to participate online and I haven't paid for one yet.
I participate online on GT6 seasonal events though via my PSN account.

EDIT: Just logged in, did a search for IcedGT but not getting any results for that.
Perhaps may be better if you send the Friend request.
Again my PSN: davidtsmith333

Last edited:
EDIT: Just logged in, did a search for IcedGT but not getting any results for that.

Will do when I get home from work tonight.

I have only twelve hours into project cars, but I am enjoying it.

XXI

Will do when I get home from work tonight.

I have only twelve hours into project cars, but I am enjoying it.

Well I have a head-start on you bro. Since I started playing about 2 1/2 weeks ago I've been playing at least 1-3 hours (more at times) generally every day since. You can call me an addict. :)
BTW, I'll look out for your friend request. Thanks.

Back