Best/Worst/Most Underrated Engines Ever Built?

• Thread starter Slash
  • 139 comments
Kia Rio 1.1 CRDi diesel

Out of interest, why that engine? I can probably guess, looking at your "best engine" list - performance (and even that isn't horrific) - but for its type, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1.1 CRDi, nor the Rio it's in. It's pretty quiet as small diesels go, very economical (60mpg is easy as anything), fairly smooth compared to the usual four-cylinder diesels in that class, and still has enough go for 80-odd mph on the motorway.

I mean, it's not a Ferrari V8, but it'd be daft to judge it on the same criteria.

Yes that engine is a beast!! But what do you think of the VR5 and VR6? I think 👎

I had an old Civic 1.5 vtec-e

Vr5 = meh in the VW. Vr5 in the Audi's + Turbo + quattro = pure awesomeness. The 2.5TFSI is a serious beast and a hommage to the good olde times.

Vr6 = stock they were very average. Unleash the beast with a Turbo and 500ps was no wizardary. I saw one in live on a Bora 4motion. It destroyed the Haldex Differential. It was spread on the street in pieces. Sad for the owner. Awesome for the spectators...:lol:

V-tec was also a nice piece of technology, though I am not really a fan of maximum power band at high Rpm's. 82% of the people drive those engines wrong sadly

Volkswagens Vr engines are prone to eating their chains, thanks to the silly cheap ass plastic guides they use, at least in the earlier engines.

I don't think you got my point... the point being that even though these weren't particularly powerful engines when compared to performance engines 20 odd years prior and 20 years later, that's not what makes them great. They were a major improvement over the smogger engines from the dark ages of the 70's and early 80's and a stepping stone towards the bat**** crazy powerful engines we have now. Without TPI and EFI 5.0's, there would be no LSx, LTx, DOHC Modulars, etc. For that, these engines deserve more credit than they get.

Also, keep in mind that those earlier engines could only run such high compression because of leaded fuel and massive cams that would bleed off the high cylinder pressures associated with high compression engines. The switch to unleaded meant the end for high compression and the need to comply with emissions regulations meant the end of big cams with lots of overlap and duration.

Ah I see where you are coming from now. Even back then though, those cams weren't really that massive. Most of the cams remained the same or very similar throughout all those years until the mid '80s.

... a lot of late-60s high-po models used 300+ duration (advertised) cams.

If that isn't a bit big... What is? :lol:

Advertised isn't the same as actual last I knew. And they sure don't sound like they have monster cams in them either.

The best ones in my opinion are these:
RB26DETT
timthumb.php

DOHC i-VTEC
ep3k20a.jpg

:D

M20B25

Mezger flat-six, this one from the 997 GT3 RS 4.0

Thumbnail.jpg

...Vr5 in the Audi's + Turbo + quattro = pure awesomeness. The 2.5TFSI is a serious beast and a hommage to the good olde times...

The VR5 was used in any Audi's. It was only used in the Mk4 Golf, Bora, B5 Passat, Mk2 Toledo, and Beetle. It was not that spectacular of a motor, nothing special about it beyond it being an oddity.

The 2.5TFSI that Audi uses is not related to the 2.3L VR5. The 2.5TFSI is a turbocharged variant of the 2.5L that was used in the MK5 Golf/Jetta. Which in is 1 bank of the V10 engine from the Lamborghini Gallardo.

I've always been fond of the VR6 motors. I always thought it was cool to have a small car like a GTI with a 6 cylinder motor. I wish they had put the 3.6L VR6 motor into one of the Golf R32 models. NA 300hp, AWD, DSG. :)

A new nomination for underrated engine: GM's Quad 4. Who would've thought that Americans out of all people would come up with high strung DOHC 16v fourbanger? 190 horses out of 2.3..

Ah yes, Oldsmobile's quad 4.

Able to get 190 horsepower in a two door Oldsmobile achieva.

a turbocharged version made 850 horsepower and pushed the aerotech to 267 mph.

I'm surprised that it isn't more common swap into Fiero. After all, it fits in there and outperforms the iron duke and the V6's..

A new nomination for underrated engine: GM's Quad 4. Who would've thought that Americans out of all people would come up with high strung DOHC 16v fourbanger? 190 horses out of 2.3..

(:

Underrated: Oldsmobile's Quad 4. pretty andvanced for it's day, could be made to develop a lot of hp, and from what I've read, it isn't a nightmare to keep running. Parts availability could be an issue now.

Im going to get mad hate for this but the 13B rotary engine is one of the best engine ever if you ACTUALLY know how to take care of it

QUOTE="DriftEmotion FC"]Im going to get mad hate for this but the 13B rotary engine is one of the best engine ever if you ACTUALLY know how to take care of it[/QUOTE]

How about the 20B Twin Turbo if you're gonna list a rotary as the best engine ever? ;)

Some more info on the 20B to those interested:

It was the only triple rotor engine fitted to a production car, it was in the (JC) Eunos Cosmo (as in the old GT1 and GT2 games). It was pretty undertuned compared to a 13B-REW in a later model FD if you were to judge the 20B by its HP/rotor with Mazda's factory claims, putting out "280hp" (which was more like over 300hp, with up to 330-350hp being claimed from stock), but it has plenty of potential to get far more power. The "torqueless rotary" (<as people incorrectly perceive them) was putting putting out 280lbft at 1800rpm, peaking with 296lbft at 3000rpm only dropping by 10% at the 7000rpm redline. Plus, with a less restrictive exhaust, a triple rotor has that beautiful bark shared by other engines such as the Nissan RB, Toyota 1JZ, and the Triumph Triple :) As demonstrated by my links below!

I can't say I have an absolute favourite engine I could pick, but this 20B is certainly up there in my opinion, and as DriftEmotion FC says, rotaries are reliable providing you know how to treat them. Oil consumption isn't as bad as people make out with rotaries, but fuel consumption isn't great through... Can't wait for this next 16X with laser ignition in the 2017 RX7!

Oh, here are a three decent links to beautiful sounding 20B rotaries! ;)

NA 20B Peripheral Port Cosmo highway pull: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ieBKyaVHO0
RX3 20B Peripheral Port drag car: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPSVySVpFnM
20B Twin Turbo Cosmo exhaust: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDW6OjWN3u8

Most Underrated:

Ford 2.3L Turbo SVO Inline 4

Sure, they were heavy, maintenance prone, but they made more power than a lot of V8's, and it's a 4 banger. 205hp, 250ft-lb torque.

Same engine was also in the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in '87 and '88, though rated at a shade less power (I think less boost, but I'm not sure). A non-intercooled version was in earlier Turbo Coupes.

The N/A 2.3 is a bit of a dog in stock form, but the turbo sure wakes it up, and I believe you can get quite a bit more power with relatively simple modifications (opening up intake/exhaust, that sort of thing).

Same engine was also in the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in '87 and '88, though rated at a shade less power (I think less boost, but I'm not sure). A non-intercooled version was in earlier Turbo Coupes.

The N/A 2.3 is a bit of a dog in stock form, but the turbo sure wakes it up, and I believe you can get quite a bit more power with relatively simple modifications (opening up intake/exhaust, that sort of thing).

I worked with a tech that had a 2.3L and built into a stroker for his race car that they used in dirt races and Derby Cars (when they didn't use V8's). Said he could really wind that puppy up and it was making in the area of about 600 horsepower at about 7,000 rpm or so. It was turbo'd as well.

ford_427_sohc.jpg

FORD 427 SOHC Big Block. Displacement and Overhead Cams FTW. It may have had some timing issues but its the perfect combo. It was so feared that Chrysler had it banned from NASCAR so it went to drag racing.

I agree with the OP on the Ford 302 its a great motor. It went from to the 60s to the '90s and kept it self as a high performance motor till the end. It also ushered in the EFI era for US aftermarket performance companies.

ford_427_sohc.jpg

FORD 427 SOHC Big Block. Displacement and Overhead Cams FTW. It may have had some timing issues but its the perfect combo. It was so feared that Chrysler had it banned from NASCAR so it went to drag racing.

I agree with the OP on the Ford 302 its a great motor. It went from to the 60s to the '90s and kept it self as a high performance motor till the end. It also ushered in the EFI era for US aftermarket performance companies.

For the 302....It actually went into the 2000's and it is still produced by Ford today. They just aren't installed in production cars anymore.

For the 427...I'd have it banned too if it made 200hp more than the Hemi lol. Imagine the Boss 429 with that in it....

For the 302....It actually went into the 2000's and it is still produced by Ford today. They just aren't installed in production cars anymore.

For the 427...I'd have it banned too if it made 200hp more than the Hemi lol. Imagine the Boss 429 with that in it....

Yeah they still make the replacement motors. I wasn't talking about the production time just the performance engine status which ended in '96 when the Modular V-8 took over.

The last production car installation in the Explorer did have some good parts into tho. Those GT40P heads and intake are good upgrades to the standard 5.0. I am a big fan of the Windsor I have one in my Cobra.

Production in civilian vehicles ended in 2001. '96 Was when they started for fade in the modulars.

I have owned two different 351's and they are really potent and respond dramatically to very simple mods.

Production in civilian vehicles ended in 2001. '96 Was when they started for fade in the modulars.

I have owned two different 351's and they are really potent and respond dramatically to very simple mods.

Ahhhh the 351 the duke of Windsors if I could find a roller block 351 I would so put on in my car.

Ahhhh the 351 the duke of Windsors if I could find a roller block 351 I would so put on in my car.

Converting a block for roller rockers/cam requires you drilling a couple holes. Not too bad. Any block will do. I wish I would have done that with the last 2 Windsor's I've built up.

Best: BMW M20Inline 6. - The one in my 325is has 240k miles on it, I race it at the autocross and Thunderhill Raceway with no problems.

320px-M20B25.jpg

Worst: Mitsubishi 6G73 V-6. Just, eww...

id674_enl.jpg

Underrated(?): Buick L67 Series 2 V-6. Beautiful engine that can make much more power from stock, with little effort. Mostly put in a lot of boring looking cars.

04_3800_sc.jpg

^My uncle has that Buick in his car. Not the supercharged one though. Does it have a PCV valve? I couldn't find it when I looked.

Yes, it does. It's underneath this little thing with the electrical connection:

8352943127_fec4a0dfc3_b.jpg

There's a spring under it, and you have to twist it to take it off. The whole assembly comes out and the PCV valve is under it.

Yes, it does. It's underneath this little thing with the electrical connection:

8352943127_fec4a0dfc3_b.jpg

There's a spring under it, and you have to twist it to take it off. The whole assembly comes out and the PCV valve is under it.

So that's where it is....I was looking at the back side of it. I didn't even see it up front.

Worst engine: The dodge/chrysler 2.7 liter v6. Never seen one last past 50,000 without extremely obsessive care.

Wow, Savage I hope you are not talking about the venerable "Slant 6". Those things were so reliable, consistent and maintenance free that they were used in massive amounts of farm equipment, industrial applications, marine, military, machinery and oh yea, cars.

My dad bought a 69 Belvedere for $100 just to get back/forth to work while we swapped intake manifolds on his regular ride. Turns out, the darn thing just wouldn't die. Zero maintenance, no oil changes, nothing. 3 years later, with 325,000 on the odometer (yes, 1969 with over 300k) he finally sold it running strong.

They were not pretty. They weren't very fast. Not much hp, but comparable @ ~ 100 hp. That unique gear reduction starter Mopar used sounded funny. But they ran. And ran. And ran.

A friend and I each picked a car from his dads salvage yard with good engines. He picked a Chevy, forget which. I picked a Valient w/slant 6. We drained the oil. We started them, put a brick on the gas pedal and waited. The Chevy died in 10 min. My slant 6 ran for 2 hrs before slinging a rod through the oil pan.

Not reliable? I disagree.

Back