Bruno Senna dropped from HRT

• Thread starter brainfade
  • 44 comments
Trulli's been heard to complain about driving for a new team, that they weren't as quick as he expected them to be. If Kovalainen beats him on qualifying and on points this season - especially on qualifying, since he's Formula 1's resident one-lap expert - he may decide to hang up the helmet. Who else would Lotus get to replace him?

I'm pretty sure Trulli is happy where he is considering he was going out of his way to let Kovalainen have the new chassis at Valencia.
He has said repeatedly that he realised he wouldn't be competing at the front this year when he signed up. Both him and Heikki are there to build the team up to the top. The only thing Jarno is unhappy with is the horrible luck he has had this season, its always been his car that had the lion's share of failures.

And I'm certain Lotus would be able to attract more experienced drivers after their performances so far. They also have the money to pay drivers rather than having to rely on drivers bringing sponsorship. Its also the last thing a team like them needs right now, they don't want to be spending time teaching a rookie.
Like I said, I don't see Trulli leaving for a couple of years. Maybe then Lotus will hire a rookie if they have progressed up the grid enough, they do have their own junior team and neither Kovalainen or Trulli are the kind of drivers to take them to the very top. I have the sneaking suspicion though that Lotus will be going for experienced drivers all the way.

You never know ... since money makes the Formula 1 world go around, surely you can see the potential in allying the next generation of Lotus with the next generation of Senna? I was surprised that neither Lotus nor Virgin expressed any (public) interest in Bruno. Surely Richard Branson would see the power a Senna-Virgin alleigance could bring. I have no doubt that if Virgin were sponsoring a team back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, they'd be wanting to work with Ayrton. As for Lotus ... well, it just seems like common sense. I think they really need sponsors outside of Tony Fernandes' realm. After all, the Tune Group is the umbrella organisation for his holdings.

The money and interest the Senna name brings is vastly over-rated. Bruno only managed to attract his personal sponsor and a Brazilian bank to Hispania.

People aren't idiots, they don't throw money at names, they usually do a bit of research. Sure a famous name makes it slightly easier but its not as if sponsors are throwing themselves to be involved with him. People go on about famous names being easier but ironically its probably harder at times too. I imagine some sponsors will be more skeptical than normal for a famous name as by popular opinion the famous blood is over-rated.

Bruno has so far not really proved his potential. He's at least a decent F1 driver at the level of Trulli and Kovalainen but I don't think he is a super-talent. I just don't see Lotus ever feeling the need to run a rookie until far in the future when they are in a position to fight for championships regularly.
Considering that the other drivers Lotus were considering last year were Sato, Klien and Davidson too....

I spoke to Geoff Willis after the race today and he didn't really give anything away on the subject, when I asked about sponsor he ummd and arrd before replying no and the same came when the question of a disciplinary measure.

He also was very vague on if Senna would complete the season.

Cheers for that OiF1! But to be fair to Geoff, he's only a consultant isn't he? He probably knows a bit more than us but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't actually know.
Did you ask him anything else? Thoughts on the Dallara? On 2011?

Haha, I did actually ask about next seasons Chassis supplier and he completely ignored it.

I met up with GTP member Alex. after the race and he raised a smile from Geoff when he asked, 'Championship next season, yeh?' :D

His exact response to whether Senna will be in for the rest of the season was, 'He should be in the car next race, we'll see...'

So I guess we'll have to wait.

Wasn't as good as when I turned round and said WHAT YOU TALKING BOUT WILLIS? :lol:

Oh and he also told me / us / the others in the background that an announcement would be made in the mid-week confirming who would drive the next race. It was currently undecided. Another guy asked him if it was about money, he gave a delayed response which made me think it somewhat was. Yamamoto pays lots of money to race and the team get to evaluate their car from a 3rd point of reference.

Last edited:
I mean really what is the kid supposed to do change his name? Are only the fastest race car drivers in the world supposed to have that name?

His real name is actually Bruno Lalli, the reason he was dropped was because he mistakenly sent and email slamming how Colles was running the team to Colles.

He is possibly the only man whos name remains the same when spoonerised:

Colin Kolles
Kolin Colles

Latest Posts

Back