BT's build

• Thread starter btsniper
  • 43 comments
TB
I say you need one.

Sharky. will say you don't.

:lol:
:lol:

It all depends whether you have lots of discs you're going to need to use to install stuff etc - I didn't put an optical drive in my current system because most/all of my games (I don't have any physical software that isn't a game!) were already installed on the hard drives I was reusing so beyond installing Windows I wouldn't need an optical drive. I ran into a couple of motherboard quirks when installing Windows from USB, but apart from that I've never found myself wishing I put an optical drive in it 👍

btsniper - I use a Razer DeathAdder 3500 myself, I recommend it :)

Well looks like I chose well then 👍

There is a $20 sale on the 3 fan Gigabyte 670 which puts it $10 less than the 2 fan MSI 670, should cool a lot better.

Also if I drive 50 miles to microcenter they have a $30 sell on the 3570k which will bring my build down to $1451, but it might be $20 in gas money so I wont be saving much

Another question, is an optical drive necessary with today's technology? Could I go 100% download only and wait to get an optical drive until I need one, it will save $20.

Depends on your needs.

I have a BD-RW/HD-DVD Combo drive in my PC.

Nothing better than watching Blurays.

As for the H60.
The $49 one has a fan that doesn't push as much air, but it should do.
Also There are H80s and H100s

Well looks like I chose well then 👍

There is a $20 sale on the 3 fan Gigabyte 670 which puts it $10 less than the 2 fan MSI 670, should cool a lot better.

Also if I drive 50 miles to microcenter they have a $30 sell on the 3570k which will bring my build down to $1451, but it might be $20 in gas money so I wont be saving much

Do yourself a favor and drop the GTX 670. GTX 670 and cutting costs in a build don't fit in the same sentence.

Either go for a factory overclocked GTX 660Ti which is $50 cheaper and performs as good as a GTX 670, or be smarter and go for this:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7950_x_iceq_review,1.html

Costs the same as a GTX 660Ti, is factory overclocked, and shows the GTX 670 every corner of the room. If you overclock it further you have a 300$ which performs nearly, if not the same, as an HD7970 or a GTX680 which are expensive high-end cards. In addition to that, you'll probably get Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite free with this card. There's just no reason to spend $350-$400 on a card that doesn't necessarily perform better than a $280-$300 card.

Hell, the guys from hardware.info managed to overclock this card and get a 3DMark score of P11132, and overclock it all the way to 1150Mhz. With a $300 card. I rest my case.

If you really want to stick with the Nvidia cards, go for a $300 factory overclocked GTX 660Ti from ASUS or MSI.

I would not use Factory OC cards.

It seems they do not OC better than the stock clock cards.

Do yourself a favor and drop the GTX 670. GTX 670 and cutting costs in a build don't fit in the same sentence.

Either go for a factory overclocked GTX 660Ti which is $50 cheaper and performs as good as a GTX 670, or be smarter and go for this:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_7950_x_iceq_review,1.html

Costs the same as a GTX 660Ti, is factory overclocked, and shows the GTX 670 every corner of the room. If you overclock it further you have a 300$ which performs nearly, if not the same, as an HD7970 or a GTX680 which are expensive high-end cards. In addition to that, you'll probably get Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite free with this card. There's just no reason to spend $350-$400 on a card that doesn't necessarily perform better than a $280-$300 card.

Hell, the guys from hardware.info managed to overclock this card and get a 3DMark score of P11132, and overclock it all the way to 1150Mhz. With a $300 card. I rest my case.

If you really want to stick with the Nvidia cards, go for a $300 factory overclocked GTX 660Ti from ASUS or MSI.

The 660 ti looks like a great card, but further down the road when I feel the need to upgrade to a second card, I would prefer to have and SLI 670 than a SLI 660 ti. The 670 is only $50 more and I feel a price drop in within a couple of months with the 700 series coming out. I'm trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my $1500 budget that I set myself.

Last edited:
The 660 ti looks like a great card, but further down the road when I feel the need to upgrade to a second card, I would prefer to have and SLI 670 than a SLI 660 ti. The 670 is only $50 more and I feel a price drop in within a couple of months with the 700 series coming out. I'm trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my $1500 budget that I set myself.

A GTX 660Ti in SLI is as fast as a Titan.

That is your choice then. You needed to cut 150 bucks so I merely made a suggestion. I am simply saying the HD7950 is equally as fast while cheaper. But if you for some reason are so desperate for a 670 then go for it.

I updated the OP yesterday stating that I have reached my goal of getting the price below $1500 and I am now trying to cut just a bit more (now down to $1467). Now I'm trying to get all that I can while staying around that price. Still taking all the advice I can, and I thank you for your input.

If you've entertained the thought of driving to a Microcenter anyway, they've had some outstanding processor/motherboard combo deals lately. I'm not sure if it's still available but it would be worth checking into. Hell, I've contemplated driving almost 500 miles round trip because of some of their prices!

Updated the OP to what I think may be the final build 👍 Now all I need to know is when is the best time to buy. When are the best sales? Should I wait until Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

Back