Build Your Fastest Sleeper!!(4-door Wagons only)

phlyerphanatic
We all know which of the other production and non-poroduaction cars are supposed to be fast,but what about grocery getters? I thought it would be kinda fun to hop up a car to take mom and the kid's to the super-market in. Post your best 1/4 mile time for your 4-door wagon.

My best so far is:

Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.0 GT --- 8.992sec

That's a pretty quick grocery getter!!

well, I haven't taken her to a spin on drag strip, but my Audi RS6 Avant did 7'01,xx on nurb, and top speed is around 380 km/h..

Has anyone here used the Lexus wagon yet? I was thinking of giving it a go! I already have the Subaru Sti wagon. It's great, but I want to try something new.

So, what'ts your favorite wagon?

:lol: The Audi RS6 is hardly a sleeper. I see a few of them on the roads here where I live and I know full well not to mess with them. :)

Now if you took the Volvo 240 GLT Estate and tuned it up, that would be a great sleeper.

Simply put, any Audi wagon RS6 or RS4. They are very fast and very understeery but I can run about the same times in the RS4 as an M3. That said, if you can make the Volvo fast that would be fun...I think Ill go try.

boombexus
:lol: The Audi RS6 is hardly a sleeper. I see a few of them on the roads here where I live and I know full well not to mess with them. :)

Now if you took the Volvo 240 GLT Estate and tuned it up, that would be a great sleeper.

you can't make Volvo 240 sleper.. I've tried.. and for us, who know cars better than averge joe, RS6 avant isn't a sleeper.. but for those who don't? well, it's one nasty surprize in traffic lights. 👍 :lol:

So I just souped up (almost fully modded) the Volvo wagon and got it running low 13's in the quarter. Not too bad for a 1988 wagon. That's better than most stock production cars these days.
With a bit more practice, and a different tranny, this car will do mid 12's.

What could be finer than eating up and spitting out M3's with your 1988 Volvo wagon. :sly:

Hehe don't forget about the Nissan Stagea guys. Its a wagon with the same engine found in the Skyline GTR. Its heavt though so ultimately I think the STi wagon would out-perform it on a track.

Leonidae
you can't make Volvo 240 sleper.. I've tried.. and for us, who know cars better than averge joe, RS6 avant isn't a sleeper.. but for those who don't? well, it's one nasty surprize in traffic lights. 👍 :lol:

But the RS6 doesn't even look like a sleeper. Just standing still that car reeks of speed.
A true "sleeper" would be a car that doesn't even look fast nor even look like it could be made fast with unlimited funds. Hence, the Volvo wagon. Man, I even put steel wheels on the wagon to complete the look.

Now if I could just put some rust on the car too. :)

My second car was a Used 2000 Subaru Impreza Prodrive STI Wagon. I only got to play at my friends house for two days and I did the Quarter Mile in 8.77

it's hard to say which is sleeper or not, i think most of us here know those Subaru 'sedan/wagon' and Audi 'sedan/wagon' and those BMW M5, AMG E55 are fast (and they are fast in stock form already)...some more i don't think i have to mention.

but if we are saying 'grocery getters', i expect something that we see everyday....
like Volvo 240 is a good example.
althought i haven't fully mod it, but i used a BMW 330i in one of those Euro Champ, i think it's a pretty good car, and i think it can fall in the 'sleeper' group car

boombexus
So I just souped up (almost fully modded) the Volvo wagon and got it running low 13's in the quarter. Not too bad for a 1988 wagon. That's better than most stock production cars these days.
With a bit more practice, and a different tranny, this car will do mid 12's.

What could be finer than eating up and spitting out M3's with your 1988 Volvo wagon. :sly:
Doing it in an Omni GLHS : ) or better yet a Pitz : )

What I was hoping for was sleepers in the definition of,a car that if you pulled up to a stoplight in,let's say a new 'Stang,you wouldn't in a million years expect to be eating dust. Yes the Subaru Wagon is a quick car stock,but it doesn't look fast. Therefore it fits the definition of a sleeper. The Taurus SHO is a known fast car,so it doesn't actually classify because it was built to be fast originally.The Volvo is a great example. Let's try to keep it to cars you'd buy as a family car. Cars that a Soccer Mom would drive. You guys know the cars I mean. 👍

phlyerphanatic
The Taurus SHO is a known fast car,so it doesn't actually classify because it was built to be fast originally.
It's actually quite hard to idntify an SHO unless you relly look at it,. The only distinguishing features are the tailpipes and side and rear badges. Not to mention that the rear badges are body color. An SHO really needs a second look to identify. and what Mustang driver would give a Taurus a second look.

A WRX wagon with STI badges isn't a sleeper at all, hell a normal wrx wagon isn't a sleeper. Even if it is a wagon its a turbo wagon and you know that when you go up to the light. A sleeper is a car is slow stock and looks like it is slow. The omni GLHS isn't a sleeper either. GLHS stands for Goes Like Hell Somemore. The original GLH was just Goes Like Hell.

Chevelle SS
It's actually quite hard to idntify an SHO unless you relly look at it,. The only distinguishing features are the tailpipes and side and rear badges. Not to mention that the rear badges are body color. An SHO really needs a second look to identify. and what Mustang driver would give a Taurus a second look.

Yeah, its a beast (my SHO). It peels out when I'm in 3rd gear (TCS off). That's probably my favorite sleeper. 400 ponies, Front wheel drive....sweeeet

phlyerphanatic
What I was hoping for was sleepers in the definition of,a car that if you pulled up to a stoplight in,let's say a new 'Stang,you wouldn't in a million years expect to be eating dust. Yes the Subaru Wagon is a quick car stock,but it doesn't look fast. Therefore it fits the definition of a sleeper. ........ You guys know the cars I mean. 👍

May be the market is different
In Hong Kong, most of the Legacy on the street are modified, and they are fast and look fast.
Some other stop light sleeper can be, Toyota Chaser Turbo and Toyota Aristo...

hmm, maybe not really a grocery getter, but definitely never defined itself as fast accellerating or high top speed.. just cornering. anyhoo, '73 2002turbo can be tuned to tweak out a slow 13s 400m and a topspeed of 200.17mph and a proper drag tuner could easily get it under 11s. I don't know how many people would think much of a tiny ancient most likely partially rusted bimmer, but it can be done. (bimmer pride? :( )

davecheng
I think the ultimate soccer mom, grocery getting sleeper was two games ago: the Renault Espace F1 in GT2.

that car looked really badass though.

haha i just tuned a honda element to run 11.8s 400m. pretty good sleeper there.

since you guys sayin keep it to vehicles families and soccer moms would use lets include the minivans in GT4 like the honda
actually i think that is the only minivan but you coud include the pntiac vibe and toyota voltz as well

I thought it would be great fun to tune up the Volvo to the max and use it in a lot of the early events. I haven't even been able to win the FR Challenge in the Beginners League so far. Biggest problem seems to be the suspension; does anyone have any tips for the ultimate power and handling set-up for this car, money no object?

just won the euro hot hatch thingy in the Golf R32 and what do i win..... a blooming beige volvo 240 GLT....... pants!!!

Leonidae
you can't make Volvo 240 sleper.. I've tried..
In real life, the Mustang 5.0 V8 and Tremec 5-speed transmission are in fact a pretty easy drop-in into old Volvos... Turns out old Volvos never rust; they just get driven until the engine wears out. Mustangs, on the other hand, get totalled at a young age, leaving lots of healthy hearts in wrecked donor bodies. A little junkyard ingenuity and you're ready to bring home the groceries at a high rate of speed.

As soon as MK or somebody gets GT4 hybridding figured out, that's a definite must-have.

Back