bumping others sideways off track

• Thread starter Veil26
  • 2 comments
Germany
Germany
I've got a couple of questions about a phenomenon that happened to me twice recently: in both instances, I was about to overtake, in both cases, I ran parallel to another car alongside, was to their side and slightly ahead, then I got bumped sideways, not slowly pushed, but bumped, 3-4 times, until I lost control. It was a bit similar to a 2022 video "satisfying outcome" I found here, but more evident and with cars already side by side. I still own one of the 2 videos if needed.

One instance was in a Gr.4 race at Yamagiwa. There is that long straight after the quick 1st corner, interrupted by an S-shaped chicane you can take full throttle. I got a bit better through this chicane and pulled alongside the car in front, a Ferrari, to his right. He obviously didn't want to be overtaken, so he pulled the said trick. I was pushed into the wall to the right, which slowed me down significantly, and I dropped from around P6 to almost last, then took the remainder of the race to recover most of the positions I had lost. The Ferrari, though, seemed not to count on me slowing (due to my involuntary touch with the wall) and tried to hit me once more, yet my absence next to him then caused him to lose control, and he did a 360. Not really satisfying, as he had damaged my race already.

The other venue was in the current Sardegna Gr.3 venue. After the start of the course, it goes left-right at about right angles twice, then downhill into a long 180 degree corner that swings back uphill. I got out of that one better than the car in front, a Porsche, was about to overtake him on the right side, when he used that ramming technique. He got me into the grass, resulting in a spin and a loss of about 15s.

Now here are my questions:
  • Why were there no penalties assigned to other drivers? The second guy did the same to another competitor later and ended the race in 4th position, while mine was ruined...
  • If I recall correctly from GT5 (or was it GT6?), there had been a method applied by AI making other cars transparent when they were moving in unnatural ways. If they tried to bump into you back then with sudden, violent moves, they would bump into thin air. Same if they rammed you from behind with the sole purpose of ramming - there are some reports about this in this forum. In the past, they would just have overshot on their own, if they had tried that. Wouldn't that be a solution to most of the unfairness on track? Even to some of the unintended losses of control?

The problem with the automated penalty system in any contact involving the side of a car is that the system cannot interpret the context in which that incident happened. It could be the trailing car full-on torpedoing the car ahead, or the trailing car got to the apex first, only for the leading car to turn in like he isn’t there and cause contact.

Short of a direct hit to the rear bumper of a car, don’t expect the penalty system to do anything.

At least the Ferrari ruined his own race.

I believe the AI should be able to detect it. It happened on straights, not in corners (i.e. no apex). This was not a simple sideways touching or even pushing, this was repeated jerking of the controller (not sure whether you can get that off with a wheel) to the side. Definitely not a normal movement. And if the other car continues dead straight without controller input (maybe a bit of countersteering), the culprit should be clear, shouldn't he?!

Back