Can anyone tell me if the Momo Racing(black) wheel works with GT4?

• Thread starter Rychiar
  • 44 comments
If it's for the PC only then no it won't, but if it has the Playstation plug then I don't see why it wouldn't. There might be something that you would have to do to make it work like with GT3 and the MadKatz wheel.

It will probably work, the Driving Force and Driving Force Pro are backwards compatable with your computer. It will most likley work because PS2 has a USB 2.0 port just like a computer, it cant hurt to try it. Im not sure if you will ba able to calibrate it thought, that could be a prob.

I think the review you was talking about referred to the old red one. I heard that my wheel worked with GT3. I just looking for a fact. I keep hearing yes and no.

SpeedyR1
It will probably work, the Driving Force and Driving Force Pro are backwards compatable with your computer. It will most likley work because PS2 has a USB 2.0 port just like a computer, it cant hurt to try it. Im not sure if you will ba able to calibrate it thought, that could be a prob.

Actually, Its USB 1.1 to my knowledge :cheers:

Firinq Squad said GT4 won't work with MOMO Force, that's too bad, I still hope they're mistaken. I should have the game, maby with all the updates for PAL, MOMO Force gets supported, Please.... :(

"ENTHUSIA DEMO IN NEXT PSM!
http://www.us.playstation.com/OPM.aspx?id=upcoming"

Excellent, I'm really looking foward to Enthusia especially since it's been crowned to be the most realistic simulator to date, surpassing GT4.

phil_2001
Firinq Squad said GT4 won't work with MOMO Force, that's too bad, I still hope they're mistaken. I should have the game, maby with all the updates for PAL, MOMO Force gets supported, Please.... :(

That was the review I was talking about... They had taken off 10 points off of their score just because it didn't support the MOMO Force wheel.

EDIT: Meh, guess you'll just have to wait and see eh?

Taneras
Meh, guess you'll just have to wait and see eh?

That's probably your best bet, yeah. The chances of someone here having both GT4 and a MOMO wheel are pretty slim. Especially since the American GT4 may have support for different peripherals than the Asian version, and nobody has the American version yet.

Best way to find out? Come Tuesday.. pop in GT4, plug in the MOMO, and see what happens.

Anybody know yet if the momo racing wheel works with gt4? I've got gt4 sitting right next to me and a momo racing wheel at my feet, just gotta get through a few more hours of work before I'll try it myself.

jayk, if MOMO Racing works with GT4 then MOMO Force might too, it's an awesome wheel, almost too good. NFS:HP2 feels so much more solid with MOMO Force than with Force GP(the differernce is more impressive than GT3), it's like complitely another game. I really hope it does work in GT4 indeed.

Jedi2016
That's probably your best bet, yeah. The chances of someone here having both GT4 and a MOMO wheel are pretty slim. Especially since the American GT4 may have support for different peripherals than the Asian version, and nobody has the American version yet.

Best way to find out? Come Tuesday.. pop in GT4, plug in the MOMO, and see what happens.

I hooked up my MOMO Force (Red) wheel and it wouldn't work....maybe I am configuring it wrong but playing with all the wheel settings I can't configure anything with the wheel. Seems strange that the wheel will work with GT3, and on my computer but not with GT4. Any suggestions would be great....

The red MOMO Force doesn't work, it's soooo sad... :(

It's because of PD wanting that way. Every racing game works fine with MOMO Force. All new ones except GT4. Well, I hope Enthusia is a good racer as it will support MOMO Force, GT4 really put me down on this. PD Sucks here because they made it intentionally.

yeah, my momo racing appears to not work with gt4 unless there is some way to tell the playstation which wheel you want to use. its strange though because i remember it at least turned the wheels or something in gt3, now there is no support.

The Momo Wheel, by fluke worked with GT3, it's not supposed to work with GT3.

So obviously, it won't with GT4.

Title says it all.
I plugged in the Wheel, and the two green lights came on, which means that the usb port is getting a signal from the machine, but when you go into the game the wheel doesn't send a signal, and none of the little red buttons, paddles, pedals, work either... This sucks sooooo bad. We are so close to having this sucker Momo working in this terrific game, and we just can't close the deal. Perhaps there will be a way to fool the PS2 into thinking that the Momo Racing wheel is actually one of the supported wheels? Perhaps an adapter of some sort? I don't want to go out and get a supported wheel, but I can't stand to use the gamepad either... Crap, this is getting expensive. I bought a PS2 just for this game, this week, and now I'm thinking of sending it, and the game back to the store. :crazy:

Why do people get mad when a wheel/controller, especially the Momo Force (Red) & Momo Racing (Black) are marketed as PC wheels and just out of chance, one worked on the PS2? (Momo Force)

I can understand that the Momo Force worked with GT3 but c'mon folks...when did GT3 come out? When did the Momo Force come out? (2001 for both)

The reason why PD and/or Sony probably didn't put in support for the Momo Force wheel is because the vendor themselves, Logitech, don't even make the wheel anymore! Therefore, from PD's standpoint, why make a game, which was just released in the last few months (I'm starting with Asian release here) backward compatible with a PC racing wheel that is now damn near 4 years old and is no longer made...Especialy when either PD and/or Sony worked with Logitech to get the Driving Force Pro to be the 'exclusive' GT4 wheel...

Bottom line..what worked in the yesterday doesn't mean it will work today!

SimRaceDriver
Why do people get mad when a wheel/controller, especially the Momo Force (Red) & Momo Racing (Black) are marketed as PC wheels and just out of chance, one worked on the PS2?

Because

1. It is expensive equipment
2. They use the same connector, and identify to the hub the same way (that's why it's called UNIVERSAL serial bus)
3. As much as the hardware vendors would like it, customers won't want to buy another wheel for each game that hits the market.
4. Other games lets the wheel work, for example WRC3 and WRC4.

In fact, the only reason I can see why it should not work is because PD/Logitech/Wingman disabled it so they can sell more GT wheels.

I have the momo racing (black) wheel and it doesn't work with GT3, but it works with NFSU2 and a lot of other new games on my ps2.

I highly doubt it will work with GT4 because logitech want to make ppl go out and buy the DFP...which is friggin annoying.

By all accounts it seems as if sony/pd/logitech disabled support for the momo racing on purpose as they support the older DF wheel just fine, even the PC version. Supporting the wheel is actually easier than not, as they would use the universal logitech drivers.

They would have to specifically code OUT the momo racing, I can't believe they wasted time to limit gamers.

The frustrating part about this is that it would not have taken any effort to keep MOMO wheel support in GT4 (MOMO racing and MOMO force). It actually took more effort to remove wheel support. See below for firingsquad's comments on this point:
"Lastly, my comment from the GT3 review still applies here: the game loses at least 10% in the final verdict if not for force feedback steering wheel support. We now have a problem, because GT4 does not support the Logitech MOMO Force. Although the MOMO Force is not an officially PS2 licensed steering wheel, Logitech’s development team has worked hard to ensure that their SDK supports all wheels possible – most modern PS2 games work great with the MOMO Force. What bothers me is that the removal of MOMO Force support in GT4 was an intentional decision made by Sony requiring actually more effort to take it out than to keep it in. I’m all for fair capitalism markets, and I recognize that Gran Turismo fans aren’t entitled to MOMO Force support but there is a distinction between not investing the development time to support a force feedback wheel and investing an additional effort to remove support for non-Sony-licensed products, particularly when an alternative isn’t available. This excludes it from being eligible for Editor’s Choice, and warrants a 10% penalty for working against the interest of gamers."

Actually, I think Logitech can save face here if they find a way to enable GT4 support for the wheel in the future. Maybe some kind of configuration file to be saved on your memory card. They could wait a while for the DFP sales to slow down and then release this. While this is a longshot scenario, it would still allow Logitech to sell lots of DFP's without alienating old MOMO customers.

mickey
I have the momo racing (black) wheel and it doesn't work with GT3, but it works with NFSU2 and a lot of other new games on my ps2.

I highly doubt it will work with GT4 because logitech want to make ppl go out and buy the DFP...which is friggin annoying.

By all accounts it seems as if sony/pd/logitech disabled support for the momo racing on purpose as they support the older DF wheel just fine, even the PC version. Supporting the wheel is actually easier than not, as they would use the universal logitech drivers.

They would have to specifically code OUT the momo racing, I can't believe they wasted time to limit gamers.

Not to mention its pricey

Do any other USB PC wheels work with GT4? Has anyone tried anything like a Thrustmaster PC wheel or whatever?

SimRaceDriver
Therefore, from PD's standpoint, why make a game, which was just released in the last few months (I'm starting with Asian release here) backward compatible with a PC racing wheel that is now damn near 4 years old and is no longer made...

Because thousands of potential GT4 buyers own a Momo Force? Just a thought :dunce:

MCX
Do any other USB PC wheels work with GT4? Has anyone tried anything like a Thrustmaster PC wheel or whatever?

I have a Wingman Formula Force GP wheel that I bought for my PC years ago. It was sitting in my closet gathering dust until a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm using it all the time :D.

It works perfectly on the PS2 (I've NFSU2, Burnout 2, now GT4).

Back