Can you drift R32 GTR's?

• Thread starter KaiZen
  • 61 comments
I've been testing stock R32's with all N and S tyres and have been having major troubles initiating a drift in any of them. I really want an R32 GTR drifter in my garage so I've been trying to tune my Nismo S-Tune without any real progress, so right now any R32 GTR will do.

When it comes to grip driving I'm more the confident with the abilities of the car, it's an awesome grip racer with slight under/oversteer characteristics, but as a drifter, turn-in is way too slow and the oversteer on the exits isn't "BIG" enough. It just doesn't want to hang out for that long. :(

I've tried everything and I think the problem may be in the LSD. I tried standard, without VCD, with VCD 10 and 20, and I tried adjusting each LSD setting by 10 (one-by-one) without any major effective change. I've even tried setting all the front LSD settings to 5, as I've heard people do to Evo's, with no real avail.

I was hoping for a change like in the R34's in GT3 where without the VCD and standard LSD the cars were great drifters. :indiff:

I really want to get my Nismo S-Tune to drift like a pro as I think it's the baddest looking R32 you can buy! :mischievous: :mad:

I did find a way to make it drift like that and that's by setting ASM under to 5. Works great but I don't want to resort to driver aids.

I'd really appreciate any advice or tips, or even settings, that may help make these cars turn-in like lightning. :sly:

Thanks GTPlanet!

:cheers:

I recently watched Keichi "Drift King" Tsuchiya's Drift Bible and his his 'cure' for understeering cars was basically to use the emergency brake alot (after initial braking) to transfer more weight to the front tyres giving better turn in and getting the back end to step out easier.

Obviously it's a bit more than that and the guy has incredible technique but it's a good starting point. Man that guy can drift anything.

Well, to be honest AWD is quite a hard drivetrain to start with. so my advice would be to use the R32 Gts-t... <--This is obviously an FR.

That is my Current drift car, and it is next to orgasmic...

PM me for settings if your interested.

DRIFTN

that cracks me up...

true though, the gts-t type M is quite good
I have some settings posted at IDM for it as well - no LSD equipped on it, but you can toss one on to fine tune the thing to your needs

I have an R32 GTR I've been meaning to go for a whirl in, maybe this thread will be the incentive to finally do so

DRIFTN
I understand what you mean.. lol :sly:

Firstly, I'm not starting to drift with AWD, I'm converting.. 👍
and second, I meant to say that I really want an R32 GTR drifter in my garage..

TankSpanker
that cracks me up...

I have an R32 GTR I've been meaning to go for a whirl in, maybe this thread will be the incentive to finally do so
Sweeeet!.. let me know what you come up with. I'm starting to think that the higher spec GTR's, like the Nismo as it is a '00 model, have just been well engineered to race, not drift...

I'll continue testing after F1.. :D

I just cam across a thought....

It was easy to initiate a drift with a near-stock Subaru CoupeR with only having N tires and a racing muffler.

And an R32 is harder to drift...

What is their difference? Both are 4WDs, and one is just lighter than the other.

Somone help me out on this please o_o

BrykeSpike0086
I just cam across a thought....

It was easy to initiate a drift with a near-stock Subaru CoupeR with only having N tires and a racing muffler.

And an R32 is harder to drift...

What is their difference? Both are 4WDs, and one is just lighter than the other.

Somone help me out on this please o_o

Yes but to my knowhow, all 3 GTR's (32, 33 and 34) all have different behaving 4WD systems, the ATTESA-ETS, which spilts power and torque under different conditions.

(From here on in if I'm wrong on some part, please correct me on this),

The R32 was the first of the 3 to have this ATTESA system, it had massive grip but it had a heavy understeering tendency, in addition the actuall system kicked in with a bit of a deleay (when accelerating, from what I read, the car is FR, when any of the tires loose grip, namley the rear ones, power is transfered to the front to induce understeer and thus stability to combat any oversteer...), the R33 was said to be the oppsoite having a high oversteer tendency at times. The R34 is said to be more balanced, but it depends, the 99 N1 to my experience had heavy understeer, the 2000 V-Spec II was more confident in the corners while the V-Spec II Nur felt like something in between the two.

In summary, to my knowhow (and again could be very wrong on this), the R32 is an understeering beast (but it's probably possible none the less, just have to figure a way to do it...which I haven't tried yet), the R33 had a tendency to oversteer when done right (or wrong) more so than the R32 when compaired, the 34 is just about right but depending on THAT 34 (and there are some differneces from my little experiecne with a few of them), as some did understeer rather baddly, others not so much and did oversteer quite a bit (least around Laguna Seca and Tsukaba).

Hope that was of some help...I haven't acutally tried to really drift an R32 in GT4, been more concentraited on other cars, I may give the 3 cars when I get a chance (one of the 3 cars each anywho...) and see if I'm actually right or wrong (again).

Till later.

KaiZen
I think R33's and R34's are easier to drift than R32's..
Due to the weight transfer in both the R33 and R34 but since the 32 is the lighter model of the three, its pretty hard but I can do it,ill use it in Xlink from time to time

One of my suggestions would be to turn off the ASM for oversteer and turn up the understeer ASM to the highest setting. This way, the car will nullify most (but not all) understeer, and the lack of stability management for oversteer will allow you to maintain a solid drift.

I have also found that for most AWD cars, it is best to tap the brakes in the middle of the drift and then blip the throttle immediately afterwards. This way, the weight gets shifted dramatically and thus breaks the rear tires loose (idealistically, at least :) )

But the most important rule is to enter the corner at a much higher speed than a FR vehicle, and modulate the throttle and the brakes to control speed and maintain a smooth, cohesive drift.

Good luck

Oh, and BTW, I have already drifted a 22B STi, Audi RS4, Nissan StageA Wagon, Audi TT, and a Legacy GTB Touring Wagon. Hopefully, my credentials will help fortify my advice :D

Well I learned about the ATTESA system from Initial D while the Takahashi brothers spoke of the R32 and Takumi's upcomming battle so I kinda figured that was the problem when I tried drifting a N tired R32 for myself.

aren't some r32's FR? i thought all skyline's were / are awd? oh well, i don't know, if you get the FR R32, get DT_C settings, i tried them, and they work excellent! 👍

NISMOskyline
One of my suggestions would be to turn off the ASM for oversteer and turn up the understeer ASM to the highest setting. This way, the car will nullify most (but not all) understeer, and the lack of stability management for oversteer will allow you to maintain a solid drift.

I have also found that for most AWD cars, it is best to tap the brakes in the middle of the drift and then blip the throttle immediately afterwards. This way, the weight gets shifted dramatically and thus breaks the rear tires loose (idealistically, at least :) )

But the most important rule is to enter the corner at a much higher speed than a FR vehicle, and modulate the throttle and the brakes to control speed and maintain a smooth, cohesive drift.

Good luck

Oh, and BTW, I have already drifted a 22B STi, Audi RS4, Nissan StageA Wagon, Audi TT, and a Legacy GTB Touring Wagon. Hopefully, my credentials will help fortify my advice :D

Everything is good, except for the bit about leaving some of the aids on... Just not necessary... You're basically making it a RWD under certain conditions, and AWD the rest of the time... This is fine, but if you want to drift it like a true AWD, all aids should be off... It's up to preference...

;)

Delphic Reason
Everything is good, except for the bit about leaving some of the aids on... Just not necessary... You're basically making it a RWD under certain conditions, and AWD the rest of the time... This is fine, but if you want to drift it like a true AWD, all aids should be off... It's up to preference...

;)

Hmmmm..... That's true, I suppose. I might just try that sometime. 👍

However, i like to keep TCS at 2 or 3 because if it is turned off all the way, the car has trouble accelerating properly due to lack of traction. So I'm not too sure about turning TCS down to 0.

NISMOskyline
Hmmmm..... That's true, I suppose. I might just try that sometime. 👍

However, i like to keep TCS at 2 or 3 because if it is turned off all the way, the car has trouble accelerating properly due to lack of traction. So I'm not too sure about turning TCS down to 0.

If your LSD is tured properly, that is not an issue... Aids are a crutch... They are like training wheels... Eventually you need to take them off and learn how to ride the bike without them...

;)

Jspec014
aren't some r32's FR? i thought all skyline's were / are awd? oh well, i don't know, if you get the FR R32, get DT_C settings, i tried them, and they work excellent! 👍

Yes, the R32 GTSr is a RWD model. However, one has to wonder why PD didn't include the r33 and R34 GTS models. :confused:

NISMOskyline
Yes, the R32 GTSr is a RWD model. However, one has to wonder why PD didn't include the r33 and R34 GTS models. :confused:

Agreed.... I have been waiting for those to be in a GT game since GT1...

;)

hah, this cracks me up. People here seem to think that all skylines are bloody 4wd GTR's. I'd say about 99% or more Skylines aren't GTRs. Read the Wikipedia article on Skylines, I'm too lazy to explain all the models myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline

Anyway, A stock R32 GTR is pretty hard to drift in my opinion, especially when you consider its 4WD system is designed to keep it driving straight. I was driving the Vspec N1 last night, stock on N1 tyres and even then the 4WD was doing a damn good job of keeping the car under control.

If you wanna go drifting in a skyline take the GTS-T or GTS25. Sadly GT4 left out the R33 GTS25-T or the R34 GT-T. Hopefully they'll be in GT5.

NISMOskyline
One of my suggestions would be to turn off the ASM for oversteer and turn up the understeer ASM to the highest setting.
hmmm.. credentials.. as I said in my post, I HAVE tried setting the ASM under to 5-3 and found that it works great and it's similar to how I want the car to feel through tuning and without driver aids, but having it on MAX setting is just rediculous.

As Delphic said, driver aids are training wheels that must be taken off sooner or later so, I hate to break it to you but, claiming that you can drift all sorts of AWD cars WITH ASM Under set to MAX is.. charming to say the least.. :rolleyes: :odd: :yuck: :lol:

Jspec014
Not all Skylines are AWD. The Skyline is just a model name, like Impreza or Lancer, and only the GTR's are AWD. This is why the next model GTR will not get the Skyline name, so as to seperate it from the base model car. The thread shall be re-named, sorry for the confusion.:dunce:

NISMOskyline
An AWD car not having enough traction??.. odd.. :odd: :boggled:

Delphic Reason
If you need help with the LSD settings, send me a PM....
I've been waiting for almost 12 hours now!!!! :mad: 🤬 :banghead:

just kidding! :lol: trying to drift AWD's is really frustrating :irked: :banghead:

I'm still sitting here twiddling my thumbs.. :nervous::P :dopey: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Nightkids4ever
Due to the weight transfer in both the R33 and R34 but since the 32 is the lighter model of the three, its pretty hard but I can do it,ill use it in Xlink from time to time
Since your username is Nightkids, ala Initial D, and the fact that you are probably one of the better drifters around here, do you have any R32 GTR settings??

Mad_Murphy_NZ
hah, this cracks me up. People here seem to think that all skylines are bloody 4wd GTR's. I'd say about 99% or more Skylines aren't GTRs
Hahaha.. true! I think it might be a Western thing. I remember watching Hioctane 4, i think that was it, where Ketz goes to the US show scene and co-hosts with that hot little asian chick :drool: who talks about over using her vibrator and breaks it. :sly:

Annnyways, I'm pretty sure they mention in it that most americans think that all Skylines are GTR's.. :yuck:

hey, Kaizen, I got your PM. I have a R32 GTS Type M, FR. But not a 4WD version, I'm getting the money to buy and fully tune an R32 GTR S-Tune right now. So give me about an hour or two.

rsmithdrift
hey, Kaizen, I got your PM. I have a R32 GTS Type M, FR. But not a 4WD version, I'm getting the money to buy and fully tune an R32 GTR S-Tune right now. So give me about an hour or two.
Cool bananas!!.. I appreciate your input..

The only bad thing is I'm at work right now and won't be able to play for about 9 or so hours :indiff:

I'll be waiting anyways!! 👍

Don't you think that Nismo S-Tunes are the Baddest R32's on the planet!? You got to love how Nismo are willing to bring back an old car and still badge it as an '00 model, just like the "Last and Greatest" R34..

Apparently, since there were no more R34's in production, Nismo rebuilt and modified ex-race-spec JGTC R34's with the less than 30,000km's on the chassis and minimal damage, and badged them as New '05 Nismo R34's

:sly:

I did it!!!!!!! I got this car driftin' like CRAZY! :crazy: :sly:

Alright first off, NO BODY FLAME ME FOR DOING THIS, but I had to run N2 up front and N1 in the rear to get the cars balance to oversteer. THEY DO THIS IN FORMULA D SO I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT BEING UNREALISTIC. Oversteer is a must in All wheel drive/4WD drifting. This is because any over/under condition the car has is exagerated by the 4wd once the trottle is applied. So once I got the car oversteering it did need LSD work. Here's my settings:

Fully Modded (minus Tranny) 825bhp, N2 front, N1 rear, NO AIDS.

Note: f=Front, r=Rear. All unspecified are stock settings for the part/parts equiped.

Suspension: Racing: Settings should be your preference. Make the car controllable FOR YOU.
Springs: 12.0 f/12.0 r
Shocks: stock setting
Camber: stock setting
Toe: stock setting
Sway Bar: 4 f/6 r

Stock Transmission

LSD: Fully Customizable:
Initial: 5 f/20 r
Accel: 10 f/50 r
Decel: 5 r/20 r

VCD: Control: 10%

Jerg Rush
No wonder it's drifting like crazy when you have 825 fracking horsepower and N1s on the feckin' rear, jeez.

Believe it or not I couldn't get it to wheelspin over 50mph with N2 front and rear. I was very confused. :odd:

Nissan/Nismo did an AWESOME job at making this car hook up and GO!!!!
And with the N2/N1 combo, it can GO SIDEWAYS at high angle w/o spinning out. I did a few Over/Reverse Drifts (beyond 90* angle) in it. :lol: It was fun.

Thanks for the swiftness of your reply..

lol.. I don't understand why people get so anal with mis-matched tyres either.. in motorsport different tyre compounds are usually used for reasons of grip and tyre wear during the race.. I do understand the balance issue, but if that's the type of balance you require for your driving style, then why not?.. that's what it's there for..

I had a feeling I'd had to change the compounds, but I'm only working with 551 hp. I really wanted to keep it around that mark so that it's still raceable against other cars..

Have you tried less power??.. or adding the VCD??..

Thanks again and if you gain anymore progress, let me know..

KaiZen
Thanks for the swiftness of your reply..

lol.. I don't understand why people get so anal with mis-matched tyres either.. in motorsport different tyre compounds are usually used for reasons of grip and tyre wear during the race.. I do understand the balance issue, but if that's the type of balance you require for your driving style, then why not?.. that's what it's there for..

I had a feeling I'd had to change the compounds, but I'm only working with 551 hp. I really wanted to keep it around that mark so that it's still raceable against other cars..

Have you tried less power??.. or adding the VCD??..

Thanks again and if you gain anymore progress, let me know..

I did use VCD. I edited my post with the settings in it to show my VCD settings. And I tried 551bhp (took off the turbo upgrade) and I couldn't get it to wheelspin at all. It just straightened out as soon as you hit the gas. 👎 :ouch: The only way I could drift it with 550 hp was by oversteering at low angle and not wheelspining much at all as it would just make the car go to the outside. I much rather do 90* angle drifts with it for some reason, :odd: usually I'm a speed drifter.

I'm not a experienced 4WD drifter, I much rather prefer the FR's and the FR version of the car rocks. But it was the most fun I've had drifting a 4wd car.......EVER. Once I got it set up right that is.

Back