Can you drift R32 GTR's?

• Thread starter KaiZen
  • 61 comments
rsmithdrift
I did use VCD. I edited my post with the settings in it to show my VCD settings. And I tried 551bhp (took off the turbo upgrade) and I couldn't get it to wheelspin at all. It just straightened out as soon as you hit the gas. 👎 :ouch: The only way I could drift it with 550 hp was by oversteering at low angle and not wheelspining much at all as it would just make the car go to the outside. I much rather do 90* angle drifts with it for some reason, :odd: usually I'm a speed drifter.

I'm not a experienced 4WD drifter, I much rather prefer the FR's and the FR version of the car rocks. But it was the most fun I've had drifting a 4wd car.......EVER. Once I got it set up right that is.
I knew that the chassis was just not really made to drift. Nismo DID do an awesome job of making it abit of a Sniper. Point and shoot!.. It's a pure racer. Where as R33's and R34's were more sports GT with their fun filled flinging nature..

If you get a chance I like to see what you come up with with other R32 GTR models.. especially 93's and 94's.. ohh and under 600hp, or at least under 700 :D

Did I mention that I tried VCD set to 20? I only did a few laps better it felt like there was a little less understeer compared to 10..

[EDIT] So it's the most fun you've had in a 4WD.. EVER!? Have you tried the Nismo R-Tune with about 600hp and a standard or 1.5 or 2 way diff and no VCD in GT3?? Now that was the most fun I had driving a 4WD!!.. no VCD really made a HUGE difference..

My friend and I used to race-drift the R-Tune and the Mines R34.. they were a complete match though one, can't remember which, had abit more torque and the other was only slightly less oversteery.. Every race, every lap was pure bumper-to-bumper, drift and racing, bliss!!...:mischievous: :drool: :eek: :D:lol:

No matter what tyres you use, even racing softs it was speed driftable!!

But that was GT3.. :indiff:

Thanks again and if you gain anymore progress with the S-Tune or any other R32 GTR's, let me know..

For a stock R32 when you begin the turn try letting go of the gas or feint tech then let go of the gas and counter steer?

nismo r32 👍 👍 👍

i like a stiff rear end, more slippery tires in the back, and lots of power. vcd usually 30% or lower depending on how much i want the front to pull.

nightkids4ever
For a stock R32 when you begin the turn try letting go of the gas or feint tech then let go of the gas and counter steer?

I agree 👍. A combination of brake and feint drifting will work too.

I don't think oversteer is a must, though.

As said before, drifting an R32 is possible. For me, I have to practically fight the car to go sideways. Using the VCD helps a lot, as does a short drivetrain. Power-over and e-brake are going to get used a lot...

Kaizen, you need to chill out a bit. First of all, I wasn't trying to brag about how good I am at drifting. Rather, I was giving a bit of strength to my suggestions. I know for a fact that there are many other drifters on GTP that would humble me and I am DEFINITELY not one to brag.

Also, you could use a bit of humility and respect towards others. You talk s*** about the way I drift even though I never once attacked your ability. Regardless of my skill level, there is no reason to start flaming me because of one small, insignificant part of my earlier post.

If this is the way drifters treat newcomers to the scene, then I can see this becoming just like the GT3 Drifting Forum

NISMOskyline
Kaizen, you need to chill out a bit. First of all, I wasn't trying to brag about how good I am at drifting. Rather, I was giving a bit of strength to my suggestions. I know for a fact that there are many other drifters on GTP that would humble me and I am DEFINITELY not one to brag.

Also, you could use a bit of humility and respect towards others. You talk s*** about the way I drift even though I never once attacked your ability. Regardless of my skill level, there is no reason to start flaming me because of one small, insignificant part of my earlier post.
OK, maybe you're right.. I've been getting very frustrated with this car (Nismo S-Tune) because I haven't been able to tune it to handle the way I want. I see myself as abit of a purest so reading your reply wasn't the kind of suggestions I was looking for.

I apologise if I rubbed you the wrong way. I was in no way talking **** about your technique or driving level. I just thought it odd and unorthodox that you'd have ASM Understeer set to MAX and thought that a 4WD was lacking grip, therefore needing a few clicks of TCS.

I also thought that I was just restating Delphic's words, but I guess my own choice of words lacked abit of finesse in the constructive criticism department. The very same reason why my girlfriend fired me (not literally) from teaching her to drive.. :lol:

So, please forgive my rudeness.. I'm a big enough man to admit I'm an asshole

hahaah :sly:

Mad Murphy NZ
hah, this cracks me up. People here seem to think that all skylines are bloody 4wd GTR's. I'd say about 99% or more Skylines aren't GTRs.

yes, most of the Skylines are GTS models.

heres total production numbers of all R32 GT-R's

1989 - 4,555
1990 - 8,426
1991 - 7,081
1992 - 7,961
1993 - 6,204
1994 (to October) - 7,465
total number of cars :40,390

heres is some numbers about how many of those "not regular" GT-R versions haves been built in 1989-1994.
NISMO - 560
V spec - 1,453
V spec II - 1,303
N1 - 228

Mad Murphy NZ
Anyway, A stock R32 GTR is pretty hard to drift in my opinion, especially when you consider its 4WD system is designed to keep it driving straight.
not only straight, at the curves is helps to steer the car.

personally i think that R32 GT-R is easy to drift as stock or modified.

i have an r32 gt-r vspec 2.. and it can drift quite well~ i use stock tires.. for my r32.. i just have to break relatively hard... before theturn to shift the weight.. or.. i feint inwards~ =D

get a wing and set all the downforce to the front end of the car... itll help you with long turns but not the short ones cause it requires speed to enduce force to the front...
make your suspenssion as soft as possible, add more camber the the front than the rear... uhhh... thinking thinking... thats all Ive got for ya right now...

I handbrake stock GTRs to give them a lil' slide and N1s on the back and N2s on the front. Not much of a long drift but on small drift courses, its alright o_o. That new guy Sars960, I saw him drift a 1000+ HP R34 in GT3 with like racing tires.

Is that like possible in GT4?!

This might be a stupid question but if any of you guys saw the Initial D live action movie...

Even though inaccurate, HOW THE HELL DID THEY DRIFT A R32?!

did they remove that ATTESA thing o_o....

BrykeSpike0086
I handbrake stock GTRs to give them a lil' slide and N1s on the back and N2s on the front. Not much of a long drift but on small drift courses, its alright o_o. That new guy Sars960, I saw him drift a 1000+ HP R34 in GT3 with like racing tires.

Is that like possible in GT4?!

This might be a stupid question but if any of you guys saw the Initial D live action movie...

oh lord, please tell me you dont think that EVERY skyline is AWD do you? please tell me no, even though i know youll say, WHAT NO AWD SKYLINES!1!1?!?!?1
yes its true. its like the lancers, you have a base version, FWD, then you have the EVO, AWD turbo, etc. skylines also have base models. GTST, etc. some have NA RB20 RWD's, some have turbo RB25 RWD, then you have the RB26 with AWD. the one in the movie is either a GTR converted to RWD, or a lower model turbo with the GTR bumpers, hood, grill, wing, etc.

BrykeSpike0086

did they remove that ATTESA, well answer is NO. because combination of ATTESA-ETS and Super Hicas system makes Skyline as easy car to drift.

drifting with AWD car is not problem. see video below, it features bone stock Skyline R32 GT-R and RX-7 FC3S
Video Download

heres something about R32 Skyline models.

GXi [RWD]
engine type: CA18i inline-4
max bhp: 91 @ 5200 rpm

GTS [RWD]
engine type: RB20DE inline-6
max bhp: 155 @ 5200 rpm

GTS-t [RWD]
engine type: RB20DET inline-6
max bhp: 215 @ 6400 rpm

GTS4 [AWD]
engine type: RB20DET inline-6
max bhp: 215 @ 6400 rpm

GTS25 [RWD]
engine type: RB25DE inline-6
max bhp: 180 @ 6400 rpm

GT-R [AWD]
engine type: RB26DETT inline-6
max bhp: 280 @ 6400 rpm

Reikon, you forgot the GTE Skyline with the RB20E engine that makes something like 125-130hp. They're basicly crap and only came 4 door. Just like the GXi they didn't make many of them. Nissan used the same engine in some A31 Cefiros, I've heard them refered to before as poverty-spec :P

OH MY LORD, I'VE DONE IT!!

I've found a way to turn my freakin Nismo Skyline R32 S-Tune into a drifter!..

From Stock as a Rock or Beast from the East she will slide with the Roll-cage installed!..

Albeit, I still mix the tyres.. but, it sure as hell works a treat.. MAJOR DIFFERENCE

Suzuki
oh lord, please tell me you dont think that EVERY skyline is AWD do you? please tell me no, even though i know youll say, WHAT NO AWD SKYLINES!1!1?!?!?1
yes its true. its like the lancers, you have a base version, FWD, then you have the EVO, AWD turbo, etc. skylines also have base models. GTST, etc. some have NA RB20 RWD's, some have turbo RB25 RWD, then you have the RB26 with AWD. the one in the movie is either a GTR converted to RWD, or a lower model turbo with the GTR bumpers, hood, grill, wing, etc.

Oh no acourse not...no no no no. But I would just think the people who made the movie would be accurate but not that I thought of it, effin' front end conversions can make it look like a V-Spec....

Front end conversions do jack to make it look like a GTR. I've seen plenty of Skylines with GTR grilles, bonnets and bumpers. If you want it to look like a GTR you have to get the wide body panels, next time you see a GTR look at how much wider the rear wheel arches are compared to a normal Skyline. This goes for all R32, 33 and 34s. GTRs also have a different rear spoiler and side skirts. It is possible to disable the ATTESA system. Don't forget, Initial D is just a movie and you see plenty of cars doing things in movies that no car could really do, just because it's live action doesn't mean that it's accurate to what is and isn't possible in the real world. I haven't seen the movie though, so I won't comment further.

Yup, wide body is the true giveaway.. you can tell, skylines look a little funny slimmed down. Especially R34s..

Remember too, that Initial D was shot on a relatively low HK budget. Fair enough they had a few 86s, FCs and R32 "stunt"cars to play with, but why no FD's. The cost of having a few FDs and real GTRs would be too great and I also get the feeling that the EVOs in the movie are just Ricer Lancers..

As I mentioned before in this thread I'm abit of a purest and I must say that I was pretty pissed off with the movie after much anticipation. I did, really, only want to watch the movie for the drifting, which was quite dissapointing, but they totally fudged up the story. TOTALLY!

I can understand the reason behind making the GTR one of the main rivals, so that all manufacturers are represented bar Subie which was another dissapointment, but the Chinese totally ruined an awesome Japanese franchise..

Alls I'm saying is that the movie should have been made in Japan.. by Japanese.. especially Japanese Drifters!

Mad Murphy NZ : the term "live-action" means from anime to real people...it doesnt meen that its real :sly:

KaiZen : yes i was greatly dissapointed too with their being no fd or wrx :indiff: but i still think the movie was alrite...it was watchable 👍

on topic : i sure as hell cant drift 4wds(stock anyway)...feels realllly weird especially on the dfp....on the ds2 you could still easily e-brake drift through all the turns :sly: (my first experience was on autumn ring mini)

I'm yet to try it, but I get the feeling that all 4WD's will be more drift friendly after installing the rollcage.. can anyone confirm??

I'll do my own testing on the weekend..

KaiZen
OH MY LORD, I'VE DONE IT!!

I've found a way to turn my freakin Nismo Skyline R32 S-Tune into a drifter!..

From Stock as a Rock or Beast from the East she will slide with the Roll-cage installed!..

Albeit, I still mix the tyres.. but, it sure as hell works a treat.. MAJOR DIFFERENCE

i dont have a cage installed and it drifts just fine for me. i dont know why ppl keep saying that its bad to mix the tires (on AWD)....go through the settings depot and look at some of the awd setups...lots of ppl use the n2/n1 combo...me included.

btw, pmed my settings like u asked

venomGT4
i dont have a cage installed and it drifts just fine for me. i dont know why ppl keep saying that its bad to mix the tires (on AWD)....go through the settings depot and look at some of the awd setups...lots of ppl use the n2/n1 combo...me included.

btw, pmed my settings like u asked
Thanks again.. really appreciate it!

I don't have a problem with mixing tyres. I've been doing it since the beginning (GT1) and see it as a natural part of motorsport..

Have you tried installing a cage? For me it made it much much more fun to drive, though as you say it IS possible to drift without it, I just found it heaps easier with it and therefore more fun..

Just my experience I guess. It may have just suited my style. Try it out and let me know what you think. Hopefully I'm not the only one who found it to be more fun with INCREASE RIGIDITY performed..

Thanks again for the setup.. I'll let you know how I go :D

KaiZen
I don't have a problem with mixing tyres. I've been doing it since the beginning (GT1) and see it as a natural part of motorsport..

Mixing tires was never necessary in previous GT games.... In fact, it was completely counterproductive in GT1 through GT3... It actually hindered your progress as a drifter... Unfortunately, due to GT4's flaws, we have to do certain things that would normaly be looked down upon...
About half of the AWD cars I used in "Positive Lock" utilized an N2 front, N1 rear setup.... Although, I find this is only necessary for some AWD's, and is never necessary for RWD cars... All my RWD's utilize N1's through N3's on all four corners...

;)

Actually, I wasn't mixing tires in previous games to drift. It was purefully for tyre wear as I liked doing 10 lap races and found that on cars like the JGTC GT-R I had to have harder tyres up front, or the XR8 racecar I used harder tyres at the rear.

They were both fun to drift with the same or mixed compounds, but for me they had tyre wear issues..

Also, damn my honesty, I was probably just really crap at setting up cars back then.. lol ;)

Latest Posts

Back