• 41 comments

Daniel

User user
Premium
New Zealand
Auckland
Lazer0pz
NZ Herald
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker is thankful there has been no loss of life but there had been considerable damage across the city and outlying areas.

Christchurch has been left devastated after a massive 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck 30km west of the city at 4.35am this morning.

The quake was at a depth of 33km and was centred near Darfield, and has left large parts of the area without power, water or telephones.

Mr Parker said he did not want to overstate the level of damage "but I think it's like an iceberg. There is, in a sense, below the visible line significant structural damage."

"There would not be a house or a family in our city that has not in some way had damage done to their person and or their property," Mr Parker said.

[...]

Electricity was being slowly restored to the city but there were still concerns about the situation with water and waste water.

Mr Parker said the inner city was being closed down, city residents are being asked to save water and not flush the toilet, not to go to "rubbernecking", and check on their neighbours.

Mr Parker said the worst problems seem to be centred in the city's eastern suburbs and rural areas in outlying Christchurch.

State of emergency

Civil Defence has declared a state of emergency around 10am this morning.
New Brighton and other seaside areas are bracing for possible evacuation.
Prime Minister John Key is travelling to the area.

Christchurch Hospital inundated

Christchurch Hospital reports two men have been seriously injured by the earthquake.
One man in his 50s is in a serious condition in intensive care at Christchurch Hospital after a chimney collapsed on him.
Another man, also in his 50s, was seriously injured by falling glass.
The main Christchurch Hospital is being inundated by residents arriving with broken limbs, bruises and cuts.
A spokeswoman, Michelle Hider, asked residents with minor injuries to go to 24-hour surgeries for treatment rather than the hospital.

Christchurch Airport closed

All flights to Christchurch have been cancelled until at least midday.

Buildings, roads devastated across Christchurch
Street surfaces have risen up into a peak in the middle of a Christchurch road, while craters in the road have filled with water from ruptured mains. People in vehicles are trying to avoid them.
Among the affected streets are Hills Rd in Shirley and others in the suburb of St Albans.
In other areas roads have been blocked by debris after several buildings collapsed onto the streets, leaving their interiors visible and the central city resembling a war zone.
Large groups of onlookers have gathered to survey the damage and take pictures with their cameras and mobile phones.
Damaged buildings tend to be brick buildings. Lots of areas where bricks have fallen have been cordoned off.
Several large aftershocks have already struck the region, and wardens dressed in high-visibility gear are asking people to stay well clear of buildings because of the high risk of further collapses.
Traffic lights are still not working in several places around the central city, creating gridlock as the traffic flow increases.

Mayor's advice for people affected by the quake

Mayor Bob Parker has just warned residents to conserve water after fears the water infrastructure of Christchurch may have been affected by the 7.1 magnitude quake.
Mr Parker has warned residents not to flush the toilet and to conserve water. There are fears the sewerage system may have been damaged.
Engineers are currently checking the city's priority infrastructure.
Mr Parker told Newstalk ZB that the morning had been "pretty traumatic."
He said that people were being taken to Christchurch Hospital for emergency treatment, and he although he had not heard any reports of serious injuries, he "wouldn't surprise me if there were some."
Mr Parker urged Cantabrians affected by the earthquake to check on their neighbours to ensure they were safe.
A state of emergency has not yet been declared, he said, although Civil Defence has already activated the National Crisis Management centre in Wellington.

What to do if you're in Christchurch:

All Christchurch Hospitals are operational, though people are asked to only come into hospital if it is an emergency.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said no destructive widespread tsunami threat existed based on historical earthquake and tsunami data. However, earthquakes of this size sometimes generated local tsunamis that could be destructive along coasts located within 100km of the earthquake epicentre, it said.
Civil Defence asked people to assess their home or workplace for damage; look for and extinguish small fires if safe to do so; and not overflow the phone lines with non-emergency calls. Check on your elderly neighbours.
Mayor: Quake hit city 'like an iceberg'

Thoughts with people there. And hope that Sharky. is alright.

I'm fine :) I'll post up a summary of what happened when I get my computer on - it was pretty terrifying.

it was pretty terrifying.
In an awesome way? I've always wanted to experience a "real" earthquake, besides all the stuff breaking and falling of course. A couple years ago we had an earthquake here in Ohio that most people didn't even feel. It was just weird enough of a motion to wake me from sleeping, wondering "wtf was that?"

I guess this is an alternative to the Tsunami warning from the Chilean Earthquake :lol:

Wow, I just heard. Hope all our Kiwi members are accounted for. Good to know Sharky is still with us.👍 I can't imagine GTP without him to be honest.

Thanks Tiddy, astros (I know you'd all miss the Taylor Swift avatars :sly: ) :)

The quake was originally reported as 7.4, then downgraded to a 7.0, it's now been officially upgraded of sorts to a 7.1. Was a mere 10km underground and 30km NW of Christchurch (to make matters worse, I live in the NW part of the city...) :eek:

The quake hit at 4:35am, right when the city was fast asleep. Needless to say Christchurch wasn't asleep for much longer... it was a very violent rocking, the house was making all sorts of horrible noises (rattling, creaking). At first I thought I was having a bad dream, but after about 10 seconds I was literally wide awake (no mean feat given I'd only gone to sleep two hours prior!) and cowering in my bed, wondering what the hell was going on. For a brief moment I seriously thought my house was going to collapse, that's how violent the shaking was. The city is built on a somewhat gravelly basin, so when it starts shaking it really shakes as there's not much firm ground to keep it in place, so to speak.

Eventually the shaking stopped - it must've been going for at least 30 seconds - and I went to switch the modem on so I could find out what the hell just happened via the internet. Power was still on at this point - so the modem turned on - but the phone lines must've been either overloaded or temporarily offline, because I couldn't actually connect to the internet. Not that it mattered, as the power grid gave out about 10 minutes later, plunging 75% of the city into darkness. All we had for light were two tiny LED torches, which were both a bit temperamental and needed a good whack every now and then to keep a steady output of light, as well as my iPod touch (which on max brightness + a blank Safari screen is *really* bright. lol) and mobile phone. We got power back at 11am.

Nothing of importance in my house had broken - a small picture had fallen off its hanger in the hallway, a glass bowl we had some potpourri in fell off a low bookcase and broke into a few bits on the floor and I have a *little* bit of a crack in my bedroom's ceiling (it doesn't look major, I think it's just a crack in the paint). My wardrobe door had been flung open and the stack of old school papers and the boxes my PC components came in were strewn across my floor, but that's no biggie to clean up. Amazingly my cat slept through it all! Weird furball.

Around this time (~5:00am) the aftershocks started, the first one was a whopping 5.7R which is an earthquake in itself!

After bumbling around in the dark for an hour or so the sun rose at around 6:30, which gave everyone a chance to properly survey the damage. One of my across-road neighbours had a steady stream of water and dirt pouring down their driveway, as the main sewer line which runs just behind their boundary had cracked and as a result everything going down the pipe started to take a "detour" down their driveway. The roadside drains were pretty much completely blocked everywhere, with some roads covered in water and sewage. The city's water pipes are pretty much destroyed, we've been told to not flush toilets and to boil tap water before using it - and we have/had some of the purest water in the world :(

The CBD took the worst of it, I'm sure by now you will have all seen the photo of the restaurant (on the corner of Manchester St) sans exterior walls, as well as the numerous crushed cars and giant chasms in the roads. My road has a couple of thin cracks running perpendicular to the road surface, the foot of our driveway has lifted a bit and the part of the footpath where it meets our driveway has cracked into three big chunks, but it's nothing like the metre-wide canyons you see in the pictures, lol.

Aftershocks have been continuing for a good eight hours, which is somewhat ridiculous... nobody knows when they're going to hit or when they're going to stop.

The whole quake was the strongest to hit NZ since the 1931 Napier quake - that was a 7.8 and killed 256 people. This was a 7.1 and so far no reported deaths and amazingly only two people with serious injuries (one man hit by a falling chimney, in a serious condition in the hospital's ICU, another man with glass cuts). For a city of 380,000+ people that's pretty impressive.

By far the most terrifying experience I've had in my entire life. To top it off, now there's an extreme weather warning on the way, fml. :lol:

Out of that whole scary experience, I just had to lol at your cat! Still quite amazing about the just two injuries.
Maybe you should change your GTP User to ShakySharky.. :P

Haha, speaking of the cat she only started crying and being all confused when we shut all the doors to try and keep some warmth in the dining room, which was the warmest room in the house :lol:

Oh, and when the power was out we had to use the BBQ to boil water. :lol:

Very cool to hear that you guys made out alright. 👍

We have almost no quake in Oregon(USA), but I did experience some good ones in Japan growing up. As long as the damage isn't serious, more powerful it is, more fun it kind of is. But of course, considering how deadly they can get, less quake the better.

I heard about it as I was leaving work(hour or two ago), and like many members here, the first thought was of the fellow gtp members living in the area. Really, thanks for letting us know that you were alright Sharky. 👍

Good to hear your OK Sharky and that you only had minor damage to your house, the raw sewage everywhere sounds really conserning though. I hope the local authorities bring in bottled water or something.

I've had my fair share of massive earthquakes when in Asia around the pacific ring and its terrifying especially when your in a high rise. I also felt the Dudley earthquake in England years ago and although it was small it was also quite scary because you think your dreaming when you hear this frieght train coming towards your house!

Robin.

Some pictures (yay hotlinking):

A church
4096418.jpg

Some power poles
4096421.jpg

The city clock on Victoria St stopped at the time of the quake:
4096389.jpg

Repertory Theatre
4096229.jpg

Somewhere on Colombo St (Colombo St runs right through the heart of the city in a north-south direction, it bisects the CBD)
4096227.jpg

A kid playing in a crack
4096224.jpg

Someone's house
4096212.jpg

Broken water mains
4096214.jpg

A road
4096169.jpg

Same building on Colombo St as before
4096219.jpg

Another road
4096170.jpg

Why hello there Mr Crack
4096010_600x400.jpg

Corner of Manchester St
4095881.jpg

More Manchester St
4095394_600x400.jpg

Even more Manchester St (same building as before)
4095485_600x400.jpg

As I post this we just had another aftershock. The joy of living in a country with a plate boundary running down the middle of it, lol

Amazing for the City to come out of the quake with all those damages but only two serious injuries, zero death. Do you guys get a lot of quake down there? I'm sorry I'm so clueless!

Not really - which is surprising given we straddle the Pacific and Indo-Australian plates! I can't remember the last time I felt an earthquake prior to today's :crazy:

Not really - which is surprising given we straddle the Pacific and Indo-Australian plates! I can't remember the last time I felt an earthquake prior to today's :crazy:
That's kind of scary.

Where I live, they say a big one hit every few hundred years. I heard that no written record exist from the last one(just Native American Indians were here then), but there is a record of tsunami it caused in Japan. I doubt we'll be as lucky as you guys, considering the population, and I'd imagine our architectural structures are just as vulnerable to quakes as yours. :nervous:

:lol:

Just to give everyone an idea of just how many aftershocks we're getting, these are the noticeable earthquakes so far today (in reverse chronological order):
NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 12:18 pm
Magnitude: 4.0
Depth: 12 km
Details: 10 km east of Darfield

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 11:52 am
Magnitude: 3.9
Depth: 5 km
Details: 20 km west of Christchurch

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 11:12 am
Magnitude: 5.3
Depth: 12 km
Details: 10 km east of Darfield

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 10:58 am

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 10:17 am
Magnitude: 4.4
Details: 30 km south-west of Christchurch

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 8:15 am
Magnitude: 4.7
Depth: 9 km

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:56 am
Magnitude: 5.2
Depth: 7 km

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:52 am
Magnitude: 4.0
Details: Within 5 km of Darfield

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:13 am
Magnitude: 4.6
Depth: 9 km
Details: 20 km north-west of Little River

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 7:07 am
Magnitude: 4.7
Depth: 25 km
Details: 30 km west of Christchurch

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:33 am
Magnitude: 4.3
Details: 30 km south of Christchurch

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:23 am
Magnitude: 4.3
Details: 10 km south of Darfield

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 6:04 am
Depth: 60 km
Details: 10 km south of Christchurch

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:55 am
Magnitude: 4.6

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:26 am
Magnitude: 4.9

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:26 am
Magnitude: 4.8

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:06 am
Magnitude: 4.8
Depth: 15 km
Details: 30 km west of Belfast

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:56 am
Magnitude: 5.3
Depth: 8 km

NZST: Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:35 am
Magnitude: 7.1
Depth: 10 km
Details: 40 km west of Christchurch

Maybe they are filming a new "Lost" series in New Zealand since most of the cast members got into trouble in Hawaii:dopey: Glad to hear/read that your OK from the pictures I've seen it looks like it's time to get a SUV so you can drive on the roads I bet that all them "ricer" cars will be sitting still for a while most here in the states can hardly get out of shopping parking lots because of bottoming out.

The ironic thing is that my parents worried about me moving from Christchurch to Wellington due to the increased earthquake risk!

I guess the joke's on them (glad everyone's ok though).

:lol: @ the avatar. But seriously, thankfully there have been no serious tragedies. Hopefully the city gets back on it's feet quickly.

I hope so too, but with the sewers and water mains pretty much destroyed it'll be a looooooong while until the city's back to full health. We've been instructed to conserve as much water as possible (no showers, baths, avoid flushing the toilet etc), and it's recommended that we boil any tap water before using.... not a fun situation to be in, and given the destruction the quake caused it'll probably be like this for another two weeks at the absolute minimum :\

Wow, two weeks without bathing!? I couldn't survive. You're a stronger man than me, Sharky, and soon to be smellier too.

At least you've still got internet :lol:
Provided the power doesn't get knocked out again. :lol:

Wow, two weeks without bathing!? I couldn't survive. You're a stronger man than me, Sharky, and soon to be smellier too.
I'm more concerned about running out of underwear and stuff than not showering for a fortnight :dopey:

Provided the power doesn't get knocked out again. :lol:

I'm more concerned about running out of underwear and stuff than not showering for a fortnight :dopey:

Just remember Sharky you can wear you underwear 4 times each
1: right way
2: inside out
3: backwards
4: backwards inside out
:yuck::yuck::nervous::yuck::yuck::dopey:

When you run out of underwear you can use pillowcases. Just don't use underwear when you run out of pillowcases.

Back