Car of the Week | Week 70: The Legend Comes to Life (Porsche 917 Living Legend)

FINAL ENTRY:

IMG_4051.jpeg

When I saw the online time trial at Nurb GP showcase the RX8 , I thought it destiny...

As probably one of the last AT holdouts, the RX8 is HORRIBLE using automatic transmission in game. Driving it to its limits, you can just watch the potential times escape and give you the finger as the MT guys pass effortlessly.

IMHO, as I play, the RX8 is the leading candidate for BOTY 2024 so far...

Let that sink in for a bit 😞

Cheers

When I saw the online time trial at Nurb GP showcase the RX8 , I thought it destiny...

As probably one of the last AT holdouts, the RX8 is HORRIBLE using automatic transmission in game. Driving it to its limits, you can just watch the potential times escape and give you the finger as the MT guys pass effortlessly.

Cheers
EXCUSE ME?!

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

Cheers

A tad early for such a verdict, don't you think? Also, learn MT lmao

200 (14).gif

As in: what did you do with your life so far to not learn MT yet?! :P

Last edited:
Lmao... Trust me, the face when
Wheel users find out they're being matched by someone using a controller and in AT... PRICELESS

Honestly, the BOTY comment was for effect... It's funny watching pitchforks and popcorn coming out at the same time 😁

Last edited:
Huge props to SPD for beating last week's challenge, ironically in... an RX-Vision? Does that count as a road–legal car? Does that 4–rotor not violate some noise level regs? Ahh well, they were the only one that managed to do that challenge, so I guess a win's a win.

We might not see them often, but @05XR8 has been contributing to Car of the Week as far back as our GT6 days! For their recent and very kind comments on the E30 M3 and RX-8 (mostly the RX-8), they've been given the choice of car to feature here this week!

So, after testing the 12RX8, which car did 05XR8 pick?

Wait for it... wait four it... wait IV it...

They've chosen the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96!

グランツーリスモ™ 7_20240114171436.png

Mitsubishi's Lan Evos are synonymous with their rallying exploits, but the Evo IV is a special standout even among its ten–generations strong family tree—it's famously the first Evo to incorporate the three diamonds' pièce de résistance, the Active Yaw Control system, or AYC for short, which would become a staple in Evos since. As if that weren't enough, the Evo IV is also a movie star, featuring in a jaw–dropping five minute car chase sequence in "Who Am I?", starring legendary Hong Kongese film actor and martial artist, Jackie Chan!

Jackie Chan is well–known in Asian circles as someone who ardently refuses the aid of CGI in his films, so imagine how many Evo IVs were sacrificed for real to create that five minute sequence! Oof!

For this week's ~Special Challenge~, you're tasked with "becoming the dragon" in the year of the dragon, as you'll emulate Jackie Chan himself by taking a bone stock Evo IV on its default CS tyres and trying to outrun the ghost of a BMW! Unfortunately, we don't have an E36 3 series in the game, which means the 2023 Car of the Year, a firm favourite of 05XR8, is going to have to put on a Dutch licence plate and serve as the pursuing car...

COTW W40 Special Challenge Ghost

#cotw #gtplanet #e30

With a bone stock M3 Sport Evo on CS tyres, I've managed to set a 1:31.690 around Tokyo Expressway Central Clockwise. Your task is to simply beat that time. For extra dramatic flair, you can even save my Best Lap replay to your collection, and load it in your Time Trail!

• Add the replay to your in–game collection either by clicking the link above, or by searching it up in–game via the three tags.
    • In game, go to World Circuits > Asia/Oceania > Tokyo Expressway > Central Clockwise > Time Trail > Any time of day
    • Go to Settings > Ghost Settings > LOAD GHOST > Collection > Pick the COTW W40 Ghost
    • Have fun!
    [*]

Oh, and er... you know how, in the movie, Christine Stark was driving the Evo IV with her left hand cuffed to the roof handle, and Jackie Chan has to shift the gears while she drove? Yeah, in this special challenge, you're to beat that 1:31.690 using Automatic Transmission shifting only! Hey, at least I didn't make you add 125kg of ballast to simulate the mass of having an action film legend and a hot Japanese rally driver in the car with you!

Other rules: Barrier Collision Penalty: Strong

Oh, and hopefully it goes without saying, but don't wreck the car. You aren't in a film set ;)

If you fancy shifting cogs yourself, don't worry: our usual weekly lobbies don't discriminate between AT and MT players (even if the cars themselves might...), so feel free to join us to race bone stock Evo IVs! Our weekly lobbies are held on Tuesday, 16th January, 10 P.M. CST (Host: Vic_Reign93) and Saturday, 20th January, 4 P.M. Singapore time (Host: XSquareStickIt). BoP will be on to revert everything back to stock, so don't go widening your Evo IVs if you want to participate!

Of course, we welcome any thoughts, reviews, stories, photos, or videos of the car as well here on this thread!

Last edited:
Yes, the M3 seems to be a fitting rival for it. In GT Sport at least, I managed a 07.14.338 with it:

YT review: "Probably one of the the most dissapointing cars I have tested. It's really slow speed wise and has shockingly bad stability and cornering ability considering it's AWD. I do love its looks though."

Last edited:
On the first day of Christmas, COTW gave to me~

This broke dick, piece of s[BLEEP]t car..

Though it might drive funny, De Tomaso's 2nd flagship car really didn't take off as well as it can handle. In fact, the game even mentions this fact as such: the car that preceded the much more successful and well known Pantera. I too am still surprised we got a Pantera in Gran Turismo: the definite winner of the kind of category that goes like: "I wanted it in the game, but not really". Back to the Mangusta.. well, it doesn't take a language freak to say it means Mongoose in perhaps Italian, though, apparently the name is intended as the Mongoose was the animal that is known to kill Cobras. This was a result of a little tongue in cheek towards a failed dealing with Carroll Shelby that led to him going to Ford to develop their 60s Ferrari slayer. Plus, I'd take any form of Cobra over the Mongoose, personally.

Designed by Giugiaro and powered by Ford's own small block OHV Windsor V8, the Mangusta eventually came out as an example of style over function, with many praises to its blend of muscle and exotic flairs. You're an idiot if you see the Mangusta is, in some way, unappealing. It's the looks that gets the likes of me to try driving it in the game's early days after all. Though, like I said: kids are-NO. Umm, well, it's style over function. There are various issues that would balance this out. The car is notably cramped, both in terms for the driver and engine components. Its rear heavy weight focus means oversteer for days. And not to mention safety, especially when it came without the seatbelts as standard.

Yeesh, so it's a death trap, plain and simple. A pretty one, but still a death trap. I've only heard good things for the Pantera, so.. lesson learned?

I'm looking back at Week 2 and I think I put this car as one of Carlyle's many tertiary cars. It explains why he's in the episode. To be fair, Candy and Carlyle are developed side by side, just as the era of GT Sport ended for my fictional universe.

Story: The List of Festival F[BLEEP]k Ups

Another rotary?

We've got a lot of these covered already. Though there's quite a selection of others I prefer we cover, because, thanks to my escapades in Mini Mexico, I too know of the RX-8's lack of snuff that caused it, and the rotary name, to die out.

Summary? Well, umm, the RX-7 is unable to continue due to further regulations and limitations as time crept on, so it's RX-8 time. Designated as a 2+2 with a newly developed RENESIS rotary, it had one job to succeed the FD. And in its 10 year lifespan, I can say it didn't even touch that legacy. Mainly because of how it doesn't have as much oomph as the FD, and the fact that Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift came out.

Mazda had 10 years of this car, culminating with the Spirit R as the most performant model of them all. Now, umm.. this is based on the in game description, but well, they had 2 models of RX-8: a luxurious one, and the sporty one. The Spirit R is a fusion dance variant, having both luxuries and sports credentials inside.

I suppose we end here for details, because.. honestly this is a very unremarkable car for me. In video games, the only thing I do want with this car is in the Criterion NFS Hot Pursuit, where not only is it the starter car, but is one of the best sounding cars in the whole game. Strange, right?

You know what's also strange? The RX-8 now takes the cushioning mental implant for reminding me: your favorite fearless hero, THAT I DIDN'T NOMINATE THE MINI JCW COUNTRYMAN WHEN I WANTED TO. THE GREATEST OF BETRAYALS, now packaged and sorted in this iteration of COTW because.. I don't know how this can be followed up on anymore.

Guess what else fills me with a white hot rage? The freaking bitch Nirvana. She now graces her presence in story. Ohh noo, what will happen to our sweet innocent Candy now??

Story: Street Freaks

The more I cover these old school Lancers, the more understanding I am towards me being more inclined as a WRX guy. But this is a close rivalry, really!

So, while we've covered the Evolution V a good while back, now we head to the Evolution IV. The car that introduced the AYC electronically controlled LSD to the Lancers in this era (no I'm too Sundowner'd now to discuss future models having this), with the sole purpose to improve handling.

To me, it's a fancy way to say you want your AWD sedan to oversteer, and that's what these Lancers are about. The Evo IV, also while being quite the looker on my end as the Evo that manages to stand out along with the IX and X models, is the first Lancer to follow the gentleman's agreement: 276 horsepower, with a subtle 1.3 ton body to lug around. And.. done. Quick, well, this end sentences are already filler.

You might be wondering why is Candy STILL in America? I guess it's not too obvious, but looks like we're going rallying again. I have to use Colorado someday, right??

Story: Side Saddle

Lately, I've been on an online crusade to find fitting music to play while making liveries in GT7. GT7's mostly recycled garbage soundtrack just has no damn soul, you know?

And then, I came across this:

...and realised that the 1996 Evo IV GSR is one of those very rare cars that have been with the series since the very first instalment.

That's gotta be worth some extra cool points, right? I wonder if anyone's planning to show up with an old GT1 RM livery?

Fun racing tonight dewds! Sorry I had to bug out early. Definitely a car I WANT to do more testing with. Rallying and getting sideways is inherent to this car’s existence!

20970219572147250.jpeg

3-wide-drift with Vic, myself and BBR!

IMG_4076.jpeg

Vic getting underneath me the next corner.

Definitely a sleeper with COTY potential 😳

I would have included you in the photo, but ya know… y’all were too far back 😘
Ever heard of the saying, "leave no man behind"?

グランツーリスモ™ 7_20240118013758.png

I find your lack of inclusion and community spirit appalling. I am flabbergasted by your abysmal lack of team spirit. And other words from the thesaurus I'm not smart enough to know, but you deserve to be called every name in the book. Car of the Week does not promote or endorse this kind of abhorrent behaviour, and we profusely apologise for this obscene display by Yard Sale. I am irreversibly scarred by your heinous and selfish negligence, and am thrashing about inconsolably IRL from the sheer emotional turmoil you have hence subject me to. My lawyers will get in touch with you.

HOW DARE YOU partake in Car of the Week when you don't even include the organiser in your photo shoots?! ESPECIALLY when he's driving the 2024 Car of the Year?!?!

(jk)

So, @Baron Blitz Red , did the Evo IV dethrone the RX-8 as your BOTY?

Ever heard of the saying, "leave no man behind"?

View attachment 1320299

I find your lack of inclusion and community spirit appalling. I am flabbergasted by your abysmal lack of team spirit. And other words from the thesaurus I'm not smart enough to know, but you deserve to be called every name in the book. Car of the Week does not promote or endorse this kind of abhorrent behaviour, and we profusely apologise for this obscene display by Yard Sale. I am irreversibly scarred by your heinous and selfish negligence, and am thrashing about inconsolably IRL from the sheer emotional turmoil you have hence subject me to. My lawyers will get in touch with you.

HOW DARE YOU partake in Car of the Week when you don't even include the organiser in your photo shoots?! ESPECIALLY when he's driving the 2024 Car of the Year?!?!

(jk)

So, @Baron Blitz Red , did the Evo IV dethrone the RX-8 as your BOTY?

The major issue I see about your photo, is the rollercoaster in the background takes attention away from the main subject (ME). Not to mention, you chose an unflattering picture of myself that was void of any drift whatsoever, just so you could squeeze into the frame.

Thanks for stealing my thunder, Square.

If our PSN COTW chat is any indication of my personality, it’s that I do EVERYTHING in my power to be as inclusive as possible, as long as I’m in some way, shape or form, the center of attention

(Jk)….kinda

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun with the Lancer tbh, and the difference between the two cars in third gear left no doubt whatsoever.

At least the RX8 has a special way of getting in the back seat for the BOTY call.

😁

Cheers
If you do access those back doors at the end of the year, just know that it's going to be suicide.

COTW–Social Suicide :)

Don't let the door hit you on the way in :)

If you do access those back doors at the end of the year, just know that it's going to be suicide.

COTW–Social Suicide :)

Don't let the door hit you on the way in :)
Well at least this way the RX8 stands a chance of at least being mentioned again in 2024...

Beater and Forget'er isn't just a saying.

It's a sentence... A Life sentence, that is.

🤣

Last edited:
You know, I initially didn't think that I'd have much to say about the Evo IV, because about 90% of it could be copied and pasted from my Evo V review. And, you know what? Despite writing this, I still don't have much to add onto what's already been written.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240118013848.png

I also didn't think I'd have much fun with the Evo IV this week. I just don't like how it drives. Grip is at a premium, and when the front tyres let go, the whole car feels paralysed until it finds grip again. There's therefore a lot of cautious tip–toeing when driving the car to "protect" the front tyres, not helped by the soft suspension always wanting to bust the car out into a slide on the brakes, despite the brakes themselves being typical GT7 road car garbage: so horrendously weak they barely even activate default ABS even with the brake pedal fully depressed.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240118013840.png

But when Vic showed up in a GT1 RM livery and had Grand Valley East South for the first race, an idea just clicked. The six races we did on Tuesday was representative of each of the mainline game the Evo IV graced: GV for GT1, Laguna Seca for GT2, Deep Forest for GT3 (the war crimes I wouldn't commit to have Seattle or R246 in GT7...), Nürburgring for GT4, Tsukuba for GT5, and finally, Bathurst for GT6, and the races themselves were often bangers!

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240118013806.png

I don't even think the Evo IV looks particularly attractive, but when some old Gran Turismo music came on shuffle play during the replays, I just went into an oddly nostalgic zone. The mood, the atmosphere, all clicked. The weather conditions were perfect and stunning for the shots. The on–track action was hot and close knit. The stars and diamonds just aligned. I just kept shooting and shooting, despite not intending to write a review. I just wanted to shoot.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240118225109.png

I know this is in bad taste for me to say, but if this week's Special Challenge were to take an artistic snap, I think I'd have taken first, second, third, and fourth place :)

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240118225117.png

So yeah, in case you couldn't figure it out, I'm just writing almost filler text here to break up the pictures :)

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240120183342.png

We go from a car that's been with the series since Gran Turismo's inception, to one that's only been recently introduced, and one that I suspect not many people want in the series in the future...

Chosen by @Obelisk , the sleek and tiny car of Week 41 is the Chaparral 2X Vision Gran Turismo!

グランツーリスモ™ 7_20240120235537.png

Obelisk​

Following up on the 2J and 2K is a hard feat for anyone to do, but Chevrolet and Jim Hall know how to go above and beyond even after the shutdown of the passion project that is Chaparral. Promising another innovative take on motorsports, the 2X is a machine that's more like a wingsuit than a car. This wild, prone-position machine is powered by a laser propulsion system that is theoretically possible. Does this extreme machine uphold the Chaparral legacy, or does it spit on the grave of a legendary defunct brand?

The Chaparral name has long been associated with industry–changing innovation, the pinnacle of which is arguably the 2J, which we tested back in Week 12. Here in the 21st century, Chevy envisions that magnetic brakes, magnetic wheels, laser pulses, and... a bat suit? will do the same. All I'm saying is, it's been ten years since this car was made available as a peek into the future, and we uh... still don't got any laser propelled cars.

For this week's ~Special Challenge!~, we're thankfully getting off the streets of Tokyo! Aren't we all happy? (I put a lot of effort into that M3 lap, damn you all... 😭)

Challenge: Livery Challenge

Create a tribute livery to the Can-Am era, either in a direct tribute or in a modern take on it. All submissions need to be submitted via a Scapes photo set at Laguna Seca.

Our weekly lobbies are still ongoing at their usual times: Tuesday, 23rd January, 10 P.M. CST (Host: Vic_Reign93) and Saturday, 27th January, 4 P.M. Singapore time (host: can I please not? I have a feeling I can't drive this thing). Not that you can do much to the car, but we'll be racing the cars bone stock, and BoP will be on to ensure that!

Now... let's see just how bat💩 insane this car is...

FINAL ENTRY

IMG_9743.jpeg

Yes I know pink has probably never been used in a Can-Am livery, yes I know there has never been an itasha in Can-Am, let’s just say this is a modern take for a Le Mans Garage 56 entry (cause that is what the 2X is designed to be), because being the only laser propelled car in GT7 means this is the one and only time I get to make this joke on this forum:

Context:

The Riko-chan beam started with Riko trying to cheer up her angsting friend Chika in the anime:

Then it got popular enough to be added to her call and response at concerts:

Then it became part of her subunit Guilty Kiss’ song ‘New Romantic Sailors’:

Back