Car of the Week | Week 70: The Legend Comes to Life (Porsche 917 Living Legend)

Noooo why so early, my video hot lap will be released only on the 19.10.2024. :(

Well anyway, here's at least my written review: Managed a 05.11.605 STOCK with it on RH tyres on the Nords in GT Sport. Definatly a few seconds left in there to improve. "What an insane concept! What kind of "engine" is this even? Unbelievably quick as well. Fifth fastest vehicle of the game. (of GT Sport)."

0-100km/h: 1.8sec
0-200km/h: 3.5sec
0-300km/h: 5.8sec
1/4mile: 7.4sec
1 kilometer time: 13.1sec

FINAL ENTRY

View attachment 1321588

Yes I know pink has probably never been used in a Can-Am livery, yes I know there has never been an itasha in Can-Am, let’s just say this is a modern take for a Le Mans Garage 56 entry (cause that is what the 2X is designed to be), because being the only laser propelled car in GT7 means this is the one and only time I get to make this joke on this forum:

Context:

The Riko-chan beam started with Riko trying to cheer up her angsting friend Chika in the anime:

Then it got popular enough to be added to her call and response at concerts:

Then it became part of her subunit Guilty Kiss’ song ‘New Romantic Sailors’:

200 (9).gif

:P

Last edited:
As the resident Chaparral maniac and former COTW staff, I oughta take up the mantle and shine a light on what exactly we're dealing with this week when looking at the 2X VGT.

20830011503667102.jpg

First revealed in 2014 as part of the Vision GT project, the Chaparral 2X is an absolutely mind-blowing piece of machinery within the virtual realm, and its tech is theoretically possible in reality. Yes, we have the blindingly fast Tomahawk X VGT - but despite its (literally) gut-wrenching speeds, it's still a fairly conventional near-future concept powered by a V10 and using hydraulic technology for its aero components. The 2X takes all reason and throws it out the window. Let me list a few points I want to lead with:

The 2X is powered by a laser.
The 2X driver has to lay prone on the car.
The driver's controls, especially the hands, are locked into the bodywork away from the body.

Let's start with the less nutty stuff.

The driver position in the car is rather... distinct, and arguably more worrying than that of the McLaren VGT:
1705969767829.png

Apparently, this is inspired by a combination of flying in a wingsuit and being atop a Moto GP bike. Per the Pokedex-like Car Index description, all four wheels are controlled individually by each hand and foot.

It also states that the entire body is integral to the suspension and handling - meaning all of the shock of racing this thing is distributed evenly throughout the entire car.

The wheels have frictionless, magnetic bearings, and a set of regenerative Brembo brakes are mounted to said wheels.

And now we get to the fun stuff: how the [AUP] thing works.

The Chaparral 2X is a laser-powered car. That's the oversimplification of how it works, but an explanation is in due order...

The 2X, given the structure of the car and its description in the Index, is using a type of propulsion called "pulsed plasma propulsion" which essentially works something like this:
  1. Hit a solid surface surrounded by gas with a high powered laser.
  2. The heat from the resulting interaction is so intense it superheats the air in the immediate vicinity, causing it to convert to plasma and generate a shockwave.
  3. Said shockwave absorbs the energy from the laser (this happens really fast, the laser is still heating up the immediate area as this shockwave goes off).
  4. The shockwave expands, transferring the energy to the craft.
To harness this for the purposes of racing rather than space travel, the 2X features an impressive bell structure on its rear which serves as the solid object for the above. The laser strikes it, superheats the area around the tip of the bell, and it causes the shockwave within the bell itself which is forced out through the gap between the bell and the outer ring of the system. You can actually see this in action when racing the 2X around a track:

20970959583941775.jpg

(For those who are uncertain, the plasma is the white light happening around the "ring" of the bell.)

So basically: Laser zaps bell, bell basically explodes, explosion shoves car forward. Repeat several thousand times a second.

This process gives the car the equivalent of 905 horsepower and 587 ft-lbs of torque. Well, I say "torque" but I am inclined to believe they're referring to thrust in this situation but I have no way to figure that out.. The laser itself is also notable because it's a 671 kW unit.

To put that into perspective - imagine a 600 mW laser. 600mW is powerful enough to set things on fire. 671 kW is 1,000,000 times stronger. Funnily enough, the math checks out. 671 KW is about 912 HP.

And the package for this car is, unbelievably, only 992 lbs.

One other thing to note on the 2X before we get underway with the track performance: This car's primary means of downforce is thrust vectoring. What this means is that when you're on the power, the bottom of the thrust cone is redirecting air upwards to force the car to the ground. Keep this in mind.

Driving the car is a surreal experience - you press on the accelerator and the car just takes straight off. No wheelspin, no fuss. It is very agile given the low weight and the high downforce, but it isn't too much better cornering wise than the Gr. 1 cars are on similar tires. It even suffers a bit at the 140 MPH lateral G metric as it sits at 2.97 Gs. I've seen some of the Gr. 1s hit over 3 Gs on RS tyres (which is what this car has equipped).

Remember how I said it has thrust vectoring? Yeah. It needs that on almost 24/7 in order to get any meaningful cornering done. Otherwise, it drives like an FF on ice with tremendous understeer. But when you do have the thrust going... oh boy.

It has a very specific and demanding way of driving it. Once you master it, it's an absolute monster of a car. It very much falls under the category of "Awesome, but difficult to master" like the X2014 and the Tomahawk X, and honestly?

It's a very fitting sendoff to Chaparral.

Neutral (but a very good one.)

In the biggest surprise of 2024 thus far (not the highest bar ever set by humanity, I know), I actually did a lap of Spa with the 2X VGT and didn't die.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124141953.png

You'll have to understand: this isn't my usual cynicism talking—back when we tested this... "car?", back in GTS, I seem to recall it being a wreck fest, and seemingly only Vic survived through it all to leave a few foreboding words for the car. The car's page on Gran Turismo Wiki even comes with its own bespoke section warning players of the car's difficulty to drive and even some tips to survive. It's got as much power as a Peugeot 905 has name, and weighs almost half of said Group C racecar. I don't even think I'd fit in one; it seems designed for a female supermodel, going by its reveal trailer.

Enthusiasts are already bemoaning the loss of feedback and soul from EVs, so imagine what a laser propelled car—one that doesn't even drive any of its wheels—would offer in terms of feedback and engagement. Not that there's much time to worry about that in the 2X; it'll do 0–60mph in 1.6 seconds, and a quarter mile of asphalt would be in the car's triple rear view cameras in just 7.3s. Don't ask me the specifics of how it works, for real life scientists are still trying to figure that out themselves. What I can tell you is that the cock rings around the penis like appendage stuck into the back of the car light up, banging sounds happen, ???, profit. Depending on how much throttle is applied and what "revs" the "engine" is doing (I'm assuming this just means laser pulses per second in this context), the whole thing can sound like sporadic slapping to machine gun fire, and then to a full blown, incoherent applause, assuming you can hear that thunderous motivation in the face of the gale force winds roaring against your helmet, demanding that the affront to nature and physics be stopped right there and then. Not that it comes across in the game at all, but I can't help but imagine that this laser propulsion system would feel a lot like driving a car without a flywheel, with jerky bursts of propulsion, especially at low speeds.

...also, if each wheel is controlled individually by each of the driver's limbs, how the hell do you accelerate and brake in this thing, by farting and clenching your butt?

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124141944.png

The surprise however, isn't so much in the laser propulsion of the car, but rather, that the 2X wasn't super difficult to "drive". In fact, in a few areas, it's actually easier than a traditional car to commandeer. Because none of the four wheels are being driven, wheelspin and power oversteer are completely non–existent. This makes the 2X even more of a rocket in the wet, as it doesn't have to struggle to hook up with the road to put power down. No other car, real or fictional, can give mother nature and common sense the middle finger quite like the 2X does—not even the 2J, itself already a weapon in the wet. Also, because it doesn't drive its wheels, the car doesn't even come with Traction Control, which I believe makes it the only car in the game that can't have it.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124844.png

Okay, so it takes off like a rocket... almost literally. I just casually, nonchalantly hit 340km/h at the relatively short home straight of Spa. Blink, and you'll miss it. You'll need to sever your head and mount it on a camera dolly to keep up with this thing. This thing takes almost the same time and distance to stop as it takes to go, at least, from "low" speed ranges like 200km/h (124mph), which means that drivers will have to rewire their brains a bit to cope with the speeds this thing does. Understatement of the year, I'm sure. The car does itself no favours in this department though, as the default brake balance dumps so much brake pressure onto the fronts, only to get trimmed off by ABS, putting most braking force to waste. Also, default ABS utterly suffocates this thing, for some reason. It stops MUCH better with ABS Weak and a full rearward bias. No, it's not a #Racing Car—it's hardly a car and almost nothing can keep up with it to have a race—so you'll have to buy your own Brake Balance Controller from Understeer. Stingy bastards. Turning on BoP also unequips the aftermarket brake controller, unlike racing cars that come default with it, meaning BB can't be adjusted in BoP lobbies, even with the partial settings to allow for brake balance adjustments.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124854.png

In the twisty bits of the track, the 2X further shows its slight, but notable bias towards understeer, most likely baked in by the team at Polyphony Digital rather than Chaparral themselves, seeing as all four wheels of the 2X steer, and can be independently controlled by each of the driver's limbs in the prone cockpit of the car, meaning that it's probably possible to oversteer all the way to Narnia if you so wish. It's still possible to break the rear of the car loose however, but this has much less to do with the thrust requested and more to do with the steering angle of the car when that thrust is requested—remember, power oversteer is not a thing in this car. Because the propelling force doesn't come from the wheels beneath the car, getting on the throttle out of a turn doesn't pull weight away from the front wheels, and they remain responsive and grippy even when on power. Absent the need to account for weight shifts and power oversteer, the... throttle pedal? Butt insert? of the 2X can be squeezed much, much earlier than common sense would suggest, but we were done with that the moment we crucified ourselves in this car. Also, despite appearances, the 2X is very prone to bottoming out, sparking in High Speed Ring's banked corners, and the car is extremely upset by even innocuous rumble strips.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124909.png

The team at PD were kind enough to give us pleb wheel users some steering feedback in the car that hasn't the antiquated circular steering contraption, but the 2X still feels very disconnected and muted in the corners, definitely making the twisty bits a boring lull just waiting to get back on the power again, where all the fun is. —NEVERMIND THIS REDACTED SECTION I AM DUMB, GO READ ALEX'S QUOTE OF AN EARLIER VERSION OF THIS POST IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW STUPID I AM—

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124922.png

With its only propulsion coming from the laser, the 2X is technically an EV, which means it can't recharge in the pits, rendering it completely useless for longer races. Still, it's economical enough to do 12 laps of Spa flat out. A BMW i3 for some context, could only do 5 laps and change, and yes, I had to run all those laps myself because the lack of a Fuel Map in the HUD meant that I had no estimate on range. Not an issue specific to the 2X, but still one worth mentioning as this is the first pure EV we've had here.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124937.png

Overall, it was a pretty cool experience. The 2X did pleasantly surprise me in some areas, and I did find some unexpected benefits of a laser propelled car. I just derive no joy from driving it. It was a bore at best and a counterintuitive, sometimes unwilling alien at worst. Yeah, sure, it's fast, but perhaps it's too fast for its own good. It's ludicrous speed is such that GT7's garbage lobby netcode makes the car lag spike across a quarter width of a track, making even casual races with trusted friends a chore. Even on Comfort Hard tyres, this thing barely slips under 920PP; what the heck is it going to race against? At least the 2J can take on contemporary Gr.1 machinery and can be detuned to bully Gr.2 cars. This car feels like a million credit, 450kg (992lbs) paperweight at most, and one that can't even be stepped on. On that front, there's no surprise: it's a typical VGT.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240120235537.png

Okay, sure, it's theoretically possible to have laser propulsion in rockets, and by extension, cars—I'm not terribly interested in the theoreticals. I'm more interested in the things that I can have, right here, right now. You know what else is theoretically possible? Nuclear powered cars. Steam engines. Hydrogen Rotaries. Nanomachines, son. Just because it's theoretically possible doesn't make it viable; who's to say that in a car application, the thing won't end up weighing 16 tonnes or have a range of 2 centimetres? A laser that superheats air to propel the car? Okay, will it cook the driver? Any car following behind? Why don't you slap smaller lasers to the sides and top of the car to help it turn and give it extra downforce? Hell, just give it office swivel chair wheels, why bother steering it?

Look, if the technology is so amazing and the car can be so light, the industry would've long since adapted it. It doesn't matter if it's "theoretically possible" to me, as long as I can't buy it, it's every bit as childish and stupid as the Tomahawk to me. "I HAVE 2 MILLION HORSEPAWERS!!!" "Oh yeah? Well MY DAD WORKS AT CHAPRAL, AND HE SAYS HE CAN TALK HIS BOSS TO GIVE ME 5— TEN MILLION LLAMATHRUSTS!" It's just an endless cock waving contest, which I find to be in a complete, tonal clash with the rest of the game that tries to have a classy, understated appreciation for the engineering and design of cars.

Last edited:
In the biggest surprise of 2024 thus far (not the highest bar ever set by humanity, I know), I actually did a lap of Spa with the 2X VGT and didn't die.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124141953.png

You'll have to understand: this isn't my usual cynicism talking—back when we tested this... "car?", back in GTS, I seem to recall it being a wreck fest, and seemingly only Vic survived through it all to leave a few foreboding words for the car. The car's page on Gran Turismo Wiki even comes with its own bespoke section warning players of the car's difficulty to drive and even some tips to survive. It's got as much power as a Peugeot 905 has name, and weighs almost half of said Group C racecar. I don't even think I'd fit in one; it seems designed for a female supermodel, going by its reveal trailer.

Enthusiasts are already bemoaning the loss of feedback and soul from EVs, so imagine what a laser propelled car—one that doesn't even drive any of its wheels—would offer in terms of feedback and engagement. Not that there's much time to worry about that in the 2X; it'll do 0–60mph in 1.6 seconds, and a quarter mile of asphalt would be in the car's triple rear view cameras in just 7.3s. Don't ask me the specifics of how it works, for real life scientists are still trying to figure that out themselves. What I can tell you is that the cock rings around the penis like appendage stuck into the back of the car light up, banging sounds happen, ???, profit. Depending on how much throttle is applied and what "revs" the "engine" is doing (I'm assuming this just means laser pulses per second in this context), the whole thing can sound like sporadic slapping to machine gun fire, and then to a full blown, incoherent applause, assuming you can hear that thunderous motivation in the face of the gale force winds roaring against your helmet, demanding that the affront to nature and physics be stopped right there and then. Not that it comes across in the game at all, but I can't help but imagine that this laser propulsion system would feel a lot like driving a car without a flywheel, with jerky bursts of propulsion, especially at low speeds.

...also, if each wheel is controlled individually by each of the driver's limbs, how the hell do you accelerate and brake in this thing, by farting and clenching your butt?

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124141944.png

The surprise however, isn't so much in the laser propulsion of the car, but rather, that the 2X wasn't super difficult to "drive". In fact, in a few areas, it's actually easier than a traditional car to commandeer. Because none of the four wheels are being driven, wheelspin and power oversteer are completely non–existent. This makes the 2X even more of a rocket in the wet, as it doesn't have to struggle to hook up with the road to put power down. No other car, real or fictional, can give mother nature and common sense the middle finger quite like the 2X does—not even the 2J, itself already a weapon in the wet. Also, because it doesn't drive its wheels, the car doesn't even come with Traction Control, which I believe makes it the only car in the game that can't have it.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124844.png

Okay, so it takes off like a rocket... almost literally. I just casually, nonchalantly hit 340km/h at the relatively short home straight of Spa. Blink, and you'll miss it. You'll need to sever your head and mount it on a camera dolly to keep up with this thing. This thing takes almost the same time and distance to stop as it takes to go, at least, from "low" speed ranges like 200km/h (124mph), which means that drivers will have to rewire their brains a bit to cope with the speeds this thing does. Understatement of the year, I'm sure. The car does itself no favours in this department though, as the default brake balance dumps so much brake pressure onto the fronts, only to get trimmed off by ABS, putting most braking force to waste. Also, default ABS utterly suffocates this thing, for some reason. It stops MUCH better with ABS Weak and a full rearward bias. No, it's not a #Racing Car—it's hardly a car and almost nothing can keep up with it to have a race—so you'll have to buy your own Brake Balance Controller from Understeer. Stingy bastards. Turning on BoP also unequips the aftermarket brake controller, unlike racing cars that come default with it, meaning BB can't be adjusted in BoP lobbies, even with the partial settings to allow for brake balance adjustments.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124854.png

In the twisty bits of the track, the 2X further shows its slight, but notable bias towards understeer, most likely baked in by the team at Polyphony Digital rather than Chaparral themselves, seeing as all four wheels of the 2X steer, and can be independently controlled by each of the driver's limbs in the prone cockpit of the car, meaning that it's probably possible to oversteer all the way to Narnia if you so wish. It's still possible to break the rear of the car loose however, but this has much less to do with the thrust requested and more to do with the steering angle of the car when that thrust is requested—remember, power oversteer is not a thing in this car. Because the propelling force doesn't come from the wheels beneath the car, getting on the throttle out of a turn doesn't pull weight away from the front wheels, and they remain responsive and grippy even when on power. Absent the need to account for weight shifts and power oversteer, the... throttle pedal? Butt insert? of the 2X can be squeezed much, much earlier than common sense would suggest, but we were done with that the moment we crucified ourselves in this car. Also, despite appearances, the 2X is very prone to bottoming out, sparking in High Speed Ring's banked corners, and the car is extremely upset by even innocuous rumble strips.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124909.png

The team at PD were kind enough to give us pleb wheel users some steering feedback in the car that hasn't the antiquated circular steering contraption, but the 2X still feels very disconnected and muted in the corners, definitely making the twisty bits a boring lull just waiting to get back on the power again, where all the fun is. I'm tempted to say that, for the speeds its capable of and the pittance it weighs, the 2X lacks the downforce to match, meaning that it has to hard brake for high speed, high downforce corners like Eau Rouge and Blanchimont, but the 2X took the latter at 300km/h (186mph) when Super Formula cars top out at 280 (174mph) on the straight leading up to it. There is very definitely a "grip blind spot" in the car from around 120km/h all the way up to 220km/h (75–137mph) though, where the mechanical grip isn't enough to see the car around a bend, but there isn't enough downforce yet to start pushing the car to the ground. This makes long, mid speed corners an extreme chore to tackle, and breaks the whole flow of the drive. Chaparral claim they have an upward pointing laser to generate downforce; I find that hard to believe from behind the triple screens.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124922.png

With its only propulsion coming from the laser, the 2X is technically an EV, which means it can't recharge in the pits, rendering it completely useless for longer races. Still, it's economical enough to do 12 laps of Spa flat out. A BMW i3 for some context, could only do 5 laps and change, and yes, I had to run all those laps myself because the lack of a Fuel Map in the HUD meant that I had no estimate on range. Not an issue specific to the 2X, but still one worth mentioning as this is the first pure EV we've had here.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240124124937.png

Overall, it was a pretty cool experience. The 2X did pleasantly surprise me in some areas, and I did find some unexpected benefits of a laser propelled car. I just derive no joy from driving it. It was a bore at best and a counterintuitive, sometimes unwilling alien at worst. Yeah, sure, it's fast, but perhaps it's too fast for its own good. It's ludicrous speed is such that GT7's garbage lobby netcode makes the car lag spike across a quarter width of a track, making even casual races with trusted friends a chore. Even on Comfort Hard tyres, this thing barely slips under 920PP; what the heck is it going to race against? At least the 2J can take on contemporary Gr.1 machinery and can be detuned to bully Gr.2 cars. This car feels like a million credit, 450kg (992lbs) paperweight at most, and one that can't even be stepped on. On that front, there's no surprise: it's a typical VGT.

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240120235537.png

Okay, sure, it's theoretically possible to have laser propulsion in rockets, and by extension, cars—I'm not terribly interested in the theoreticals. I'm more interested in the things that I can have, right here, right now. You know what else is theoretically possible? Nuclear powered cars. Steam engines. Hydrogen Rotaries. Nanomachines, son. Just because it's theoretically possible doesn't make it viable; who's to say that in a car application, the thing won't end up weighing 16 tonnes or have a range of 2 centimetres? A laser that superheats air to propel the car? Okay, will it cook the driver? Any car following behind? Why don't you slap smaller lasers to the sides and top of the car to help it turn and give it extra downforce? Hell, just give it office swivel chair wheels, why bother steering it?

Look, if the technology is so amazing and the car can be so light, the industry would've long since adapted it. It doesn't matter if it's "theoretically possible" to me, as long as I can't buy it, it's every bit as childish and stupid as the Tomahawk to me. "I HAVE 2 MILLION HORSEPAWERS!!!" "Oh yeah? Well MY DAD WORKS AT CHAPRAL, AND HE SAYS HE CAN TALK HIS BOSS TO GIVE ME 5— TEN MILLION LLAMATHRUSTS!" It's just an endless cock waving contest, which I find to be in a complete, tonal clash with the rest of the game that tries to have a classy, understated appreciation for the engineering and design of cars.

I see you're using some of the stats I posted.

7c6.jpg

Mine are rather exact, I think. I used a cutting program with a timer.
Ahh, I see. Your numbers are most likely the most accurate, then. I just don't feel comfortable using stats given by others if I can test them myself 👍
Is it called a stopwatch???

😁

Cheers
I don't want to speak on Alex's behalf, but I think what he meant was that he used a video editing program to advance a video frame by frame to get exact timings. In a 60 frames per second video, for instance, each "image" in the video is roughly 0.016s, so if there are 113 frames of the 2X going from 0–100km/h, it took about 1.8 seconds.

A lot more accurate than a stopwatch, I'd say :)

Ahh, I see. Your numbers are most likely the most accurate, then. I just don't feel comfortable using stats given by others if I can test them myself 👍

I don't want to speak on Alex's behalf, but I think what he meant was that he used a video editing program to advance a video frame by frame to get exact timings. In a 60 frames per second video, for instance, each "image" in the video is roughly 0.016s, so if there are 113 frames of the 2X going from 0–100km/h, it took about 1.8 seconds.

A lot more accurate than a stopwatch, I'd say :)
I know, it was sarcasm fueled by Tourette's fueled by lack of coffee. 😎

Cheers

Say hello to Slappy Chappie: my affectionate nickname to Chevy's own VGT. Why? Well, thank me about a decade ago, sort of disappointed that the car doesn't have a monstrous futura engine sound or something, but with.. something that screams similar to repeated slaps akin to Hokuto no Ken protagonist Kenshiro performing his signature Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken. I was into that kind of Japanese media back at that time.

No, it's not a pure born Chaparral: they resurrected that name not purely as a tribute, but I say it's to inflict fear into the hearts of the people that play the game series from 4. Just ask about anyone who can retell this story when the car first debuted in GT6. But all seriousness: the name Chaparral means that they're going to bend the rule book on how to be fast. And it's not a super hyper souped up power source.. it's a laser propulsion system: ambitious but so far non-existent tech. I wouldn't mind this kind of tech in my everyday life, however.

You see that cockpit shaped like a helmet? Yup. It is the helmet, meaning you're part of the car. And if your eyes work, you too can see it's not shaped like a conventional race car with seats. That's because the car's driving position and layout is inspired by Moto GP, and.. well, the in game description also says like having a wing suit on. What is this? I didn't come here to stop pirates and mercenaries in the middle of the Rook Islands? But there ya go. And unlike Moto GP, you get a prone position to race from.. not the only VGT with this in mind.

The car also has adjustable downforce, not by a lever or a press of a button: it's through the throttle control. Meaning you get handling that's weird, in a car that's weird, from a brand named and known for being successful thanks to their inclination of the weird.

Just like the week with the Alphard, I feel like a Throwback story this week. Not only is that hateful freaking hag Nirvana the star of this week's shindig, but.. well, it balances out. Because.. well, it's no surprise what episode I'm throwing back this time though. It's the one that introduces that sole sisterly Canadian who I've designated as my.. ever so lovely, scrumptious, sweet unbound unicorn.. oh dear, I gave it away! Guess I better git'r done.

Story: Ghost of a Chance

Oh I have made a terrible mistake this week.

I'd like to think I do due research before forming an opinion, and with a VGT, that's usually not too hard: the thing exists only in Gran Turismo, right? It's not like there are different grades and specs of the things, thousands of people out there covering their riveting stories, or ripping them apart to note their intricacies. And so I gave the 2X's in–game car description a read... only to understand maybe 25% of it. I feel like I can understand my cat's meowing more than I can understand that wall of supposedly English words that is the 2X's Cardex sci–fi gibberish.

I only noticed my mistake after reading SPD's summary of the car, and then doubling back to Obelisk's review. To make it ultra, hyper clear, I'm going to give it its own short paragraph. I'm even going to bold it and put it in size 18 text, alright?

YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY ACTIVATE THE STUPID THING'S DOWNFORCE WITH THE THROTTLE.

In my original review, I wrote, "Chaparral claim they have an upward pointing laser to generate downforce; I find that hard to believe from behind the triple screens." Yeah, because I didn't have the downforce activated in the corners!

In my defence, what the bleeping FRICK do you mean, "I have to activate downforce manually?!" Why would I EVER want to turn off the downforce?!?!?! Are you insane?! This utter hogwash, from the company that pioneered the infamous 2J, the "1 tonne of passive downforce 24/7" car? Oh, what's that, the reveal trailer has a not even 2 second clip where they very indirectly shows that you need to be on the throttle to get downforce? Yeah, I too like games where I have to consult external media to understand the plot of. Why, board games where the rules and how to play aren't included in the packaging are my favourite!

If I understand it correctly, a flap underneath the laser propulsion bell... thing, redirects some of the thrust upwards, giving the car downforce. Therefore, if the laser propulsion thing isn't on, i.e. when you're not on the throttle, you don't get most of the downforce this car is capable of (and very much needs).

What this translates to on the track is that the 2X needs to be driven in an ultra counter–intuitive, damn near reckless way: brake for a corner as usual if necessary, and then, instead of easing off the brakes to trail brake into the corner, keep fully on the brakes while giving the stupid thing as much throttle as possible to activate its downforce to steer it through the turn; the amount of throttle you can give it is directly proportionate to how much speed the car can carry through the turn. The problem is, to be on the brakes THAT much when turning the car, the tyres are naturally going to be at the limits of their grip, and will want to spin out. This car very much needs its very conservative default ABS and brake balance settings, which I questioned in my initial write–up. Where this gets really find–mucky though, is when the car just doesn't turn enough: is it because I'm giving it too much braking? Too much throttle? Not enough downforce? Any combination of the above? How do I fix understeer in this? Lifting off the throttle like in a normal car just makes this thing understeer even more. If you misjudge and carry too much speed into a corner, it's an auto death sentence without trial. It's impossible to get a read on what the car is doing or what's causing it to understeer mid–corner, because not only does it have its own very specific way to be driven, it also interfaces with the driver in its own way. You can't feel for under or oversteer through a steering wheel, or listen for an engine revving abnormally quickly to know you're oversteering. It feels like trying to argue with someone speaking a completely different language.

Oh, and if you do try to detune it by restricting its power output, guess what, that directly reduces the downforce levels as well. Not sure WHY you'd want to, given that most events at its minimum PP level have obscene fuel use, rendering EVs completely unviable.

Downforce or not, my opinion on the 2X remains unchanged: it's senseless peacocking, utterly useless in the game, and breaks my brain to drive. And it makes me look like a complete idiot.

(Whether that last point is true or not, I'm too stupid to know.)

I think it's only right to leave @Obelisk to decide the winner of last week's Special Challenge, seeing as it's a challenge he set himself.

This week is the last week of Gran Turismo Sport's online services, and I think it's safe to say that the game has brought us all on a hell of a journey.

To celebrate the life of GTS, what better car to feature this week than the Mercedes-AMG GT S '15, the cover car of the game?

%E3%82%B0%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E3%83%A2%E2%84%A2%207_20240126124938.png

The AMG GT is the latest, and possibly greatest, in the line of Mercedes flagship grand tourers, succeeding the SLR McLaren and SLS AMG, the latter of which a cover car in its own right. It's also the first one to employ the use of blowers—two of them, in fact—to allow the 4.0L V8 to produce the meanest sounding 502HP you've ever heard!

Here's the part that nobody usually reads: our weekly lobbies are ongoing as usual, held on Tuesday, 30th January, 10 P.M. CST (host: Victory_Reign93) and Saturday, 3rd February, 4 P.M. Singapore time (host: XSquareStickIt), where we will race the Car of the Week under BoP conditions with their default tyres on randomly selected tracks! Here's the bit that's a bit different, though: since they're identical in performance, feel free to bring either the base car or the Safety Car!

For this week's ~Special Challenge~, tell me about some of your GTS moments: the races that were the most intense, the liveries you were the most proud of, or any other impactful ways the game has moved you! No winners, just sharing!

I think it's only right to leave @Obelisk to decide the winner of last week's Special Challenge, seeing as it's a challenge he set himself.
@Baron Blitz Red won.
For this week's ~Special Challenge~, tell me about some of your GTS moments: the races that were the most intense, the liveries you were the most proud of, or any other impactful ways the game has moved you! No winners, just sharing!
My best GT:S memory was the one time I actually won one of the FIA races in B/S split.

Racing? There was a period where I had to choose either Peugeot or Ford, and that choice still is first priority should I take that plunge.

Mythic Verse writing period? A lot of my personal favorites are construed from this era, notably the lone Canuck in Miranda Summers.

Really trending SVG logo making services? That's there. Not wholly proud, but proud nonetheless. I'm still able to do this no issue, just on a more PM me for requests rather than regular uploads.

But if there had to be one..

full

The defining of the Bertone penned, Bizzarrini V12 powered, definition of a humble tractor gearhead turned current era supercar big league runner that is the Lamborghini Miura. Of which my own I dub 'Night Moves' as one of my most recurring loves in recent automotive times? Definitely the one to remember with.

Last edited:
Managed a 07.19.778 around the Nords with it.

YT review: "German muscle at its finest. Pretty speedy and good looking. The handling is somehwat challenging, but VERY rewarding. There is one thing this car does better, than almost any other: you can just roll/wrap this thing through/around the corners by throttle control so beautifully, very fun!"

Verdict: nice sleeper, if you will.

Last edited:
My favorite memory from GTS, honestly, was finding this group. I very much remember when out of boredom one day, I finally decided to click on the COTW thread that was constantly being bumped to the top of the forum. I must have spent 3 hours that afternoon, reading about all the intricate details I didn’t know I cared about, on cars I never gave a second look to.

Top notch group of guys here for sure 👍🏼

Last edited:
My favorite memory from GTS, honestly, was finding this group. I very much remember when out of boredom one day, I finally decided to click on the COTW thread that was constantly being bumped to the top of the forum. I must have spent 3 hours that afternoon, reading about all the intricate details I didn’t know I cared about, on cars I never gave a second look to.

Top notch group of guys here for sure 👍🏼
giphy (19).gif

Back