Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 4,400 comments
View attachment 1381169I had fun rocking some old school cars on the weekly! Racing the little 356 Speedster was very hard… I must have restarted the race 10 times (8 beers 🤣) the the last race I was in the lead by lap 4…. Must have needed the Dutch Courage.

Now the new races are up I’ll have to find some new rigs!
sweet pics...

Not the most interesting week, felt the races were quite inconsistent with the AI pace so trying to pick cars that weren't just going to blow the field away was difficult. WTC 800 wasn't a great race either because I tried a few times and got no rain, then switched cars and got a few laps of wet but apparently that wears IM tyres out extremely quickly. Pretty much all the AI were on completely worn out rear tyres with half the field spinning, had to throw the car off the track to avoid one of them driving the wrong way, then they decided to pit a few extra times which meant I could've probably won in just about anything. One-make wasn't the most interesting but still enjoying Eiger reverse though, first sector has a great flow to it.

Cars for the week:
full

Cars for this week.
Untitled-3.jpg

Race 1 - European Sunday Cup 400

Car - Stock.
Tires - CS.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240816001004.jpg

Race - Japanese 4WD Challenge 600

Car - Stock,
Tires - SM
Gran Turismo® 7_20240816001903.jpg

Race 3 - Volvo Special Event.

Car - Semi Tune.
Tires - SS
Gran Turismo® 7_20240816003227.jpg

Race 4 - Race of Turbo Sportscars.

Car - Stock.
Tires - SM - Front - SS - Back
Gran Turismo® 7_20240816004407.jpg

Race 5 - World Touring Car 800

Car - Tune - Increase HP.
Tires - RM
Gran Turismo® 7_20240816011003.jpg

Last edited:
Cars for this week:
weekly-challenge-202408w3-cars.jpg

Got through four of them this morning (normal difficulty)...

weekly-challenge-202408w3-r1.jpg

Yamagiwa - BMW i3 '15 - What was I thinking? Such a dog of a car. I drove it completely stock, as it was pretty close to the suggested 400PP limit. I only managed P3, which was good enough for the first ticket. I clicked out as fast as I could, only realizing afterward that I forget to get a photo. I went back and ran it a second time to get the pic. Hope you like it. Still, could only muster a P3.

weekly-challenge-202408w3-r2.jpg

Nurburgring - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR GSR - I upgraded the tires to SS, but left it stock otherwise. It was a straightforward race. Nothing special. The car handled well enough to make it an easy win.

weekly-challenge-202408w3-r3.jpg

Eiger Nordwand - Volvo V40 T5 R-Design '13 - Used SS tires -- don't remember if I've made any other upgrades for prior V40 races. I don't mind Eiger. It felt better in this car than the Gr.B ones, anyways. I took the win for the second ticket.

weekly-challenge-202408w3-r4.jpg

Dragon Trail - Honda Sports VGT - Upgraded the tires to SS, but I really didn't have to. This car just blew past the rest. It's one of the few VGTs that I've found fun to drive. I really enjoyed driving it around the track.

This photo is beautiful - great idea !
Which settings gave you that black frame and how did you create that patina effect ?
Thanks ROCKET JOE The settings I used was.

Pre-Set effect - Nostalgia

Screen - effect 1
Filter - Low contrast
Mask - the 4th one from the bottom on the left side.

Screen - effect 2
Mask

Then I just played around with the settings till I found the look I was going for.

I'm not a huge fan of Eiger Reverse either, but this event is a pretty hefty pay out - equivalent to around 1,000,000 Cr./hour with the CRB.

I took 'The Mars Volvo' out for a run there and won pretty comfortably.

Try it 5 times today and i really can't understand where i loose the CRB in two of them 😵‍💫
And in the one that i lost the car , hit the wall at pit exit turn i get it .

And a general note .
Easy and hard level have about 15-17 seconds difference in overall time .

full

Race 1: Kyoto Driving Park - '11 Megane RS Trophy
Race 2: Nürburgring Sprint - '02 R34 GT-R V·spec Nür
Race 3: Eiger Nordwand Reverse - '13 V40 T5 R-Design
Race 4: Dragon Trail Seaside - WRX Gr.3
Race 5: Suzuka Circuit - '91 787B

The races weren't too bad with these cars using a controller (injured my knee playing baseball so no pedal pushing this week) and I still managed to get the clean race bonus for each. Everything went smooth until Suzuka where the AI cars seemed to be wrecking each other battling for position. I just laid back and waited for the best opportunities to overtake them. The weather held off for the first 5 laps then heavy rain started and continued until the start of the final lap. I ran on FM2 the entire race and RM tires at first then switched to W at the end of lap 6. An easy 800,000 credits and the daily roulette ticket landed on the stack of 1,000,000 credits!

I hope everyone enjoys their challenge!

full

On an unrelated note, I finally opened my rewards from GT World Series Round 2 in Prague. I actually watched both races from start to finish (it was a great learning experience) and Gallo got me the 1,000,000 credits for winning the Nations Cup race!

Last edited:
Races were ok this week... that little Volvo is still just a terrible car though.

Race 1 at Miyabi used a stock Lancia Integrale. Fun-ish, but not much to write home about.

Rave 2 at Nurburg used a stock Corolla GR... another decent but ultimately short and boring race. The AI are so slow here... well everywhere, but here especially.

Race three at Eiger was terrible. I like the layout, but I have found nothing redeemable about the S40 yet. Crazy oversteer under braking, crazy understeer on throttle, sounds like a vacuum cleaner with a broken belt, no noise on downshifts, and the tach is lame. Dislike that thing quite a bit.

Race 4 at Dragon Trail and I used a mildly modified FL5 Civic Type-R and it just cements how bad the Volvo is. The Civic is amazing. Poseable, gets traction, great steering feel, eager to rev... just a great car. Even being down a lot of PP on the competition it was still easy to mop them up here. Though I had a decent run with the RS200 because it's just so dang fast. Doesn't hurt that they're also super slow on this layout.

Recorded that one because it was actually a fun race.

Looking forward to the Suzuka race, but I know the AI are terrible in that one too! Bring Sophy to the weeklies!

Last edited:
Worked them Right to Left so the easy race paid 500K+. A lot has been said about the reverse course. Isn't the only thing that makes it reverse is you ran it the other way first? Otherwise that would be reverse and this direction normal. Lots of courses are run counter clockwise. Flow sucks either way on this one with cars over 300HP.

Done and dusted.
Eiger with my touring car inspired V40 was an easy win, much to my amazement. The set-up I have it in was just right for those uphill switchbacks.
Eiger Nordwand Reverse__4 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Suzuka was another easy one too. Took the 787 again as my trusty WTC800 Audi is on hold after the 1.49 update messed it up. Rain came around lap 6 for a brief 2 laps. Stupid me pitted for IM's thinking the rain would last. Had to pit again for RH. Still won by over 30 seconds.
Suzuka Circuit_ by 2cam16, on Flickr
Dragon Trail in my 352hp 650pp WRX Type R was another easy win other than the usual AI running away when they spot you moving up through the field. Won by 8 seconds.
Dragon Trail - Seaside_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Nurb Sprint was with the same Subaru. Might as well. lol Easy win.
Nürburgring Sprint_ by 2cam16, on Flickr
Kyoto in my BTCC inspired 240 was fun. Won it by the end of lap 4.
Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagiwa_ (3) by 2cam16, on Flickr

Ever since the 1.49 and 1.50 updates, I've been finding some of the cars much harder to drive.

Some cars (like the Gr.3 Supra) that used to feel like they were on rails are now a pig to drive at times. I'm getting horrible snap oversteer and I'm spinning out at places on Suzuka that I've never done before. I also had a mare driving the Viper at the Spa WTC800 race the other day but I put that down to using a car I wasn't familiar with, but now I think about it, the handling was massively different to what I'm used to (having done that particular race about 50 times already). This was the first time I scored more than one penalty - and I think I racked up at least 6...

Tthis is the second major physics update (well, third if you call 1.49 and 1.50 two separate ones) that have changed how the cars feel to drive. I reckon it's time they stopped and left the game alone, since not all of us are tuners and want to have to change the settings of every single car in the game just to suit the new physics.

Last edited:
Got the final race out of the way.
weekly-challenge-202408w3-r5.jpg

Suzuaka - Ford GT Race Car '18 - This took a couple tries.

On the first rain came on lap 3. I thought I'd be smart and switch to IMs right away before it got heavy, but it never did. I ended up burning out the IM tires desperately hoping for the moisture gauge to rise above the first tick. It never did. I gave up after a few spins.

The second try went much better. The rain came on lap 5. It was light, so I just stayed out on RM tires and short-shifted to make my fuel last so I could see how the weather played out. By lap 7, I could see the end of the rain on the radar just on the other side of a strip of heavy blue. I had to pit for fuel, so I went in on lap 7. I took a gamble and put some fresh RMs on for the final stint. I came out in the heavy rain. It didn't last long, but it left the track wet enough that the car was sliding around on the slicks. That lap was sketchy, but the sun came out and started drying the track. By the end of the lap, the car was getting some grip again. By the start of lap 10, it was pretty much dry and I had an easy cruise to the win. Final ticket obtained.

This Race of Turbo Sports Cars race is maybe the easiest race in the game relative to its recommended PP. I won it comfortably in a stock 4C Gr.3 Road Car (570-ish PP), I dread to think how much you can win by if you actually get up to the 700 PP limit.
What a neat idea this was ! :D
After running my stock 4C Gr.3 Road Car ( just like you ) ... I tried. Took my 699 PP race trim M2 Competition and things went as expected :

M2 chart_02.png

M2.jpg

The race was over and done after one and a half laps. :lol: CRB of course.
The gap however wasn't as big as I thought honestly. The AI obviously can run close to 9 min.

Someone mentioned it before but this is a really weird set of events difficulty wise and to be honest highlights something I'm not sure how they screw up so consistently? How can you win in a 500pp car in the 700pp Turbo event and then have to use a car far higher than the limit in events like the Silvia Sisters. I don't know if they're inept or just don't care. Or both.
Regardless; this week.

Race 1: European Sunday Cup 400.
Great example of what I was literally just talking about. 400 is a struggle to win with on this one.. and it's a Sunday Cup?? Why is a Sunday Cup harder to win within regulations than a late game event! Coque is absolutely rapid in a line in that Clio, but thankfully the AI remain unable to navigate Kyoto to make it too much of a challenge and they were promptly dusted by a stock Merak on CM.
1723907914875.png

Race 2: Japanese 4WD Challenge 600.
Nothing too interesting here, the AI aren't too difficult either. Easy win in a 550pp 400R, a lovely car to drive.
1723907979556.png

Race 3: Volvo One Make
I actually love Eiger both ways so this was quite a nice drive. Car took a bit of getting used to but I quite enjoy FF cars so I was flying once I was into it. Car was tuned to 500pp, I just wish I could've had a spike strip or EMP attached?
1723910058150.png

Race 4: Race of Turbo Sportscars
Well familiar with this one. Comically easy race, but makes for a fun challenge to see how low you can push it to win. I won this in a 550pp Evo IX, but not as handedly as I would've liked because the broken suspension the Evos have this patch made it keep taking off through the first chicane.
1723911622503.png

Race 5: WTC 800 Suzuka
Nothing interesting about this one. Easy win with a bone stock DBR9 at 730pp. Completely dry race for me, lead taken on lap 8.
1723911696965.png

This Race of Turbo Sports Cars race is maybe the easiest race in the game relative to its recommended PP. I won it comfortably in a stock 4C Gr.3 Road Car (570-ish PP), I dread to think how much you can win by if you actually get up to the 700 PP limit.
They do seem very slow, I took my 690PP Evo IV and was in the lead on the first lap, probably should've changed but wanted to try the car out, won by like a minute I think. Imagine if we had the extra payouts for being under the PP limit like previous games.

Good run this week, but goofed the first race (I blame the physics :P)
  • European Sunday Cup - TVR Tuscan 🚫
  • Japanese 4WD Challenge - AFEELA Prototype 🔰
  • Volvo V40 One-Make - 🔰
  • Turbo Sports - VW GTI Roadster VGT 🔰
  • WTC800 - Porsche 911 RSR 🔰

Rewards:
  • 30k from 4-Star Daily

Last edited:
So far I’ve done this a couple of times, might do a few more. Other than the One Make event, it’s a pretty fun week.

-Sunday Cup: Alfa Guilia GT Sprint’73 410pp. I might try this again in a stock one.
-4WD Challenge: Toyota GR Corolla’22 619pp. Car is so fun to throw around. Might detune it and go again.
-One-Make Event: Volvo V40 443pp. Won first time in a stock one. Hated car, not fond of track, one and done.
-Turbo Sports: Toyota GR Corolla’22 619pp. Won by 15 seconds, so I did it again in my stock Celica Rally Car on SHs and won by 4 seconds.
-WTC800 Suzuka: Lexus SC430 GT500, then BMW M6 GT3 Endurance. Tire strategy always kills me, I always try to be ahead of the rain and it never comes. Will probably do it a few more times.

Wrestingly the Roadstershop Rampage Time Trial around Trial Mountain for Gold made me not want to look at FR cars for a while. So I've been using MR, FF, RR and 4WD cars for all the weekly challenges.

I started this week's set at Race 4 - the Turbo Sports race at Dragon Trail.

All I wanted was an excuse to experience my beloved '72 Alpine A110 post 1.50 patch.

My maxed out Alpine's stats
  • 330hp via the Medium RPM Turbo
  • 1552lbs / 704kg
  • Racing Soft Tires
  • 664pp

I'm still racing on Hard difficulty, but this race made me double check...

The first attempt did not go as planned:

R4 - Alpine A110 - Cornering Oof.jpg

But I soon got my bearings and pushed. By lap 2, I'd reeled every opponent in was pulling away.

R4 - Alpine A110 - Action 1.jpg

I was shocked at how slow the AI cars were. The black AMG is monstrously quick at Suzuka. And even at Grand Valley and St Croix, they show off their enormous straight line speed. But here, my underpowered A110 was still reaching marginally higher top speeds than everyone on the straightaways.
Race [Beatdown] Results:

R4 - Alpine A110 - Results Oof.jpg

Latest Posts

Back