(CLOSED) Thrustmaster TH8RS or TH8A shifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia
Australia
Soulfresh-ACV
After trying out Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter at my friend's place last weekend which made me very tempted to buy one. He got a bargain buying the bundle of T500RS+TH8RS. Amazon sells the TH8RS for around $129 but I last check on Thrustmaster Facebook page which mentioned that TH8A will be coming out soon in two months end of August 2014.

So my question is:

1. Anyone know or read anything that TH8A might be PS3/4 compatible (if it's like TH8RS where connection is via USB)? Thrustmaster confirmed dual-support PS3/4 via USB/DIN connector
  2. And whether or not it's PS compatible, with the arrival of TH8A, will TH8RS price come down?

I own a T500RS for sometime and mostly play Gran Turismo (haven't yet moved onto PC Sims yet), so compatibility with PS3 is definitely a must even though I must say that the upcoming Fanatec ClubSports Shifter dual mode, looks pretty amazing and also expensive.

Anyone know any alternative standalone shifter that is compatible with GT6?

Thanks

UPDATE: All TH8A discussions should be posted over on this thread

UPDATE: Thrustmaster TH8A is now available via Amazon (Link)

81%2BEKHnxtoL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the whole point of the TH8A was so that it had a proprietary plug that went into the Thrustmaster TX base. I don't think it has a USB connector. You'd want the TH8RS if you want that. Which is why I wouldn't expect any price cuts for the TH8RS.

I was under the impression that the whole point of the TH8A was so that it had a proprietary plug that went into the Thrustmaster TX base. I don't think it has a USB connector. You'd want the TH8RS if you want that. Which is why I wouldn't expect any price cuts for the TH8RS.
That's a shame that no price cuts will be coming. And TH8A, even though no picture or feature specific information has been announced, but based on what you said in regards to no USB connector, that means there's no other options apart from TH8RS.

However, the only thing I don't like is that you need to unscrew the bloody cap in order to change to sequential mode or vice-versa.

Just saw a Thrustmaster Facebook post on the TH8A shifter which it will work with T500RS, T300 & TX. No price or actual photos on the shifter itself. But based on the the diagram it looks exactly the same as TH8RS. Hope the price reasonable and quality is just as good as TH8RS.
10500557_521206971342324_3978659767220465565_n.jpg

I agree, unless something has changed or will be changed between now and the release of the TH8A, as it stands, the TH8RS is designed for PC use primarily because of the USB connector, however it also works with GT5 and GT6 on the PS3. It remains to be seen if it will be PS4 compatible even though the T500RS is, however the TH8RS is designed as a stand alone shifter and not necessarly part of the T500 package. The TH8A as I understand it has a different connector, similar to a PS/2 but smaller if I recall and plugs into the 458 TX and T300 wheels which make them compatible with the Xbox One and PS4 respectively. It wouldn't make any sense that a TH8A would work with the T500RS unless they plan to stop making the TH8RS completely and sell only the TH8A.

Last edited:
This may end up being a replacement for the TH8RS. Notice the DIN/USB connector which it does not say is purchased separately? Blkout is correct on the connections. The TX has a port for this which the DIN/DIN cable would be used with. However, that DIN/USB cable looks interesting. It would be nice of them to include it with the shifter instead of making people purchase it separately.

Edit: Facebook post says "The coming soon TH8A shifter uses a USB and/or DIN connector" So it maybe it comes with it? :)

Edit again... Based on the box image they have posted, it's both usb and direct to wheel. Nice!

Last edited:
Well I'm sure others would agree with me here but I would like to be able to purchase the adapter seperately if the TH8RS can be made to work like an TH8A. I already own a TH8RS so it would be nice to be able to convert it to use with my current TX and future T300.

Well I'm sure others would agree with me here but I would like to be able to purchase the adapter seperately if the TH8RS can be made to work like an TH8A. I already own a TH8RS so it would be nice to be able to convert it to use with my current TX and future T300.

I'm sure someone will come up with something to make that happen. ;) My SFA1 adapter is undergoing an overhaul and I hope to offer it for something closer to half what it currently costs.

I'm sure someone will come up with something to make that happen. ;) My SFA1 adapter is undergoing an overhaul and I hope to offer it for something closer to half what it currently costs.

Maybe that someone will be YOU! :)

The latest FB post says the mechanical part is the same as TH8RS. It states the difference is the electrical IC and the connections.

The latest FB post says the mechanical part is the same as TH8RS. It states the difference is the electrical IC and the connections.
Great. Hope they can also lower the entry price because the first thing everyone will be replacing is the Shifter knob if it still looks like this

@mrbasher By the way, do you still make the short shaft for TH8RS? I'm asking on behalf of a friend and potentially buy one myself for the TH8A.

Sometimes... That's the best answer I can give. It's quite a manual process on my lathe and I am absolutely swamped at the moment :/

I have a sneaky suspicion that this DIN connector is nothing less than a re-wired USB cable. My guess is that the TX and T300RS have an integrated USB I/O controller IC for handling this DIN connection with the TH8A and that the DIN-USB cable has no logical components whatsoever. In essence we would be able to change our current TH8RSes into TH8As by soldering a new cable, but let's just wait and see :)

Forgive my ignorance, but I have a T500RS and TH8RS which I use with PS3 and GT6. I presume GT7 will be a PS4 title, Will my T500RS work with a PS4 or will I need to get a T300 and TH8A?

Forgive my ignorance, but I have a T500RS and TH8RS which I use with PS3 and GT6. I presume GT7 will be a PS4 title, Will my T500RS work with a PS4 or will I need to get a T300 and TH8A?

I remember reading a post from someone that contacted Thrustmaster and they stated: It is up to the game developer to make the wheel functional,but you would not be able to access the PS menu with it. I also heard it was working with Driveclub on PS4? Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
I remember reading a post from someone that contacted Thrustmaster and they stated: It is up to the game developer to make the wheel functional,but you would not be able to access the PS menu with it. I also heard it was working with Grid autosport on PS4? Can anyone confirm?
Grid AutoSport is not on PS4 to the best of my knowledge.

Depends on the game, but as a general matter, the answer is yes.

can i use a th8rs with female usb din adapter or fanatec csr din shifters on tx base? i just bought a th8rs for 60 gnp less than th8a
tx din input was blocked by firmware release .

why th8rs dont work on fanatec csr wheel using a usb/din adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure wish I knew what the delay was with TM releasing these add-on products. The T3PA pedal set is essentially a core of the T500 pedals, so its not like it took a lot of redesigning and they still aren't available in the US. The TH8A is for all intents practically identical to the TH8RS and yet we still have to wait until the end of August for it, and I'm betting it will hard to find for a few months as well. Its just mind boggling.

Updated the wheel but did not work with fanate CSR H-shifter.
I think it must have some logic circuit or flag / wire active or SEQ / H signal.
Please, @mrbasher help us again: D

I'm guessing it is too early to say, but anyone know if it would it be possible for an adapter for a Fanatec CSS to TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back