COCKPIT and DASHBOARD VIEWS in GT5!

I have no idea why your talking like it's not been confirmed, if you read a bit more you'll notice that Kaz has confirmed that in car views will be in GT5. What I hope to see though, although I understand if it's too much work, is interios that change as you strip your car via weight reductions. And also a visible roll cage when you fit that.

If I remember correctly, PD has been taking very detailed pictures of interiors since GT4 was in production. Higher res/more detailed exteriors can not be the only reason that modeling time has increased from 1 month for a car in GT4 to six months for GT5. If the SL interior pictures are what we can expect from interiors in GT5, that would explain the additional modeling time.

nah actually i prefere In-Car-View over damage. With the new handling GT5 will bring and the cockpit view driving will be even more realistic plus fun.

I would easily take cockpit over damage..I mean I dont know what the fuss is about damage..

Seeing people say "smashing into a wall at full speed and driving away isnt realistic" well no its not but neither is smashing into a wall on purpose to find that out..GT5 is about racing not demolition derby..damage is not that big a deal.

cockpit FTW!

I'd rather have damage; "Ooh look 150 on the clock, there's a turn coming but no problem I'll just smash into it and keep going"! No thanks !

I'm with you there bud, i'll take this as my in-car view over a perfectly detailed interior but with no damage and small fields of opponents.

I would easily take cockpit over damage..I mean I dont know what the fuss is about damage..

Seeing people say "smashing into a wall at full speed and driving away isnt realistic" well no its not but neither is smashing into a wall on purpose to find that out..GT5 is about racing not demolition derby..damage is not that big a deal.

cockpit FTW!
I'd rather both, a cockpit view is a great addition but in terms of what I'd prefer, damage is probably the one that will have the biggest influence on the game. Some peopel always use the line of arguing that racing isn't about smashing the car up, you don't race to crash ect, so why include damage. Te fact of the matter is that regardless of if you ever crash or not, the damage simply being there will effect the way you drive. Take the endurance races for example, do you run flat out at the start and build that engine temperature fast than a conservative start would increasing the risk of mechanical problems later on. Do you ride all the kerbs and cut corners slighty knowing that theres a risk doing that time after time could damage the suspension. Do you slam the car into reverse before the car has stopped spinning, do you change down a gear early, do you nudge other cars round corners which could effect your wheel alignment if your not careful. Theres so much that would be influenced by damage. My personal preference is that I want damage in GT5, ofcourrse the general consensus is that it should be there but toglleable on or off. But I'm also thrilled to see the cockpits being accurately modelled and to have an in car camera.

Even though i posted i would trade damage for a better race bracket system, I'm going to agree with DaveA on the Damage as that's exactly the kind of system i want.
Having the in car view is also something i've been wanting and am going to just hope it is actually included in the final product. Missing GT4 online, bodykits etc anyone?

damage is a real tricky one....its ok 2 say you would like your car to be totalled if you wreck at 150, but have u ever seen a car that hit at 150 (kph or mph doesnt matter) in real life......not much left of it!!!.And im shure the manufactures wont let PD show there car mangled in the game.Which leads me 2 the assumption that if u hit at 150 the car will be a write off with just a dislodged front bar,cracked windsceen,crumpled bonnet ect....gimmi cockpit veiw anyday and let me marvel at the interior of a Cizeta for the first time!

I just hope all this talk about the in-car view isn't a foreshadowing of an announcement from PD that there will be no damage in GT5. Maybe this is meant to soften the blow?

:indiff:

I hope they support the TrackIR head tracker for head movement in the cockpit. I use one in rFactor and makes a huge difference to the immersion factor..

Its also much cheaper than 3 PS3s and 3 TVs (a lot more plausible for most people)..

Or better yet, build a head tracker into the inevitable next-gen GT wheel.

I was wondering the other day..As you guys know, the side of the wheel is different according to the region of the world (Driver side on the right in JPN, on the left in USA.etc) and how will PD manage this problem? will the player have an option to choose which side they want? Since now they have confirmed Dashboard View, what about those cars that are marketed in two different area with different sides of the steering wheel?

^ I think what they would do is to leave it as it is. But I really hope that they could sort the manufacturers according to their regions, like this for example:

MANUFACTURER: Ford

SELECT REGION: USA | Europe | Austrailia | S.America | Asia

-> Usually Ford Europe is based in Germany so it will be left-hand drive, but in Austrailia (home of the scary Ford Falcon) are built with right-hand drive along with Asia in which its based in Thailand.

(:

^ I think what they would do is to leave it as it is. But I really hope that they could sort the manufacturers according to their regions, like this for example:

MANUFACTURER: Ford

SELECT REGION: USA | Europe | Austrailia | S.America | Asia

-> Usually Ford Europe is based in Germany so it will be left-hand drive, but in Austrailia (home of the scary Ford Falcon) are built with right-hand drive along with Asia in which its based in Thailand.

(:

For the case of Falcon and Territory, is Ford Australia, based in Australia.

One idea PD are considering, ability to add custom steering wheels in the game to almost any car. It might just make it in. :)

How do you know PD are considering that?

I think the challenge will be trying to drive left hand cars with the g25 wheel set up for right handed shifting! Ive driven in Europe and USA so its no biggie for shifting... but exactly how ill handle left hand drive on Laguna Seca (hate to miss a gear on the lead up to the corkscrew) in the heat of battle remains to be seen!....bring it on!

Ps I dont think the Falcon was ever built or ever had been based in Asia/Thailand! All Aussie built mate...all Aussie.

Pss PD please include Aussie muscle cars in GT5.......or else!

I think the challenge will be trying to drive left hand cars with the g25 wheel set up for right handed shifting! Ive driven in Europe and USA so its no biggie for shifting... but exactly how ill handle left hand drive on Laguna Seca (hate to miss a gear on the lead up to the corkscrew) in the heat of battle remains to be seen!....bring it on!

Ps I dont think the Falcon was ever built or ever had been based in Asia/Thailand! All Aussie built mate...all Aussie.

Why would that make any differance we are doing it in GT4 now with the G25 and DFP. As for the G25 you can put the shifter on either side. One question here does all the DFP's have the shifter on the right or are they on the left on some models.I'm in USA. But it would look funny if the cockpit view show the driver left shifting while I was right shifting.

For the case of Falcon and Territory, is Ford Australia, based in Australia.

unv412
I dont think the Falcon was ever built or ever had been based in Asia/Thailand! All Aussie built mate...all Aussie.

^ Yup, Aussie Ford are made in Austrailia only. I added Ford Asia and S. America only because, there are some vehicles that are exclusive on those markets (Ranger and Lynx RS in Asia; Courier and Ecosport in S. America).

(:

First of all I wanna say hello to gtplanet.net members. I was always reading message boards since before GT Prologue, but this is my first post, and all I got to say this is one great message board. So I see a lot of people here arguing which feature on GT5 would be better damage or cockpit. I think that PD will make a good game and turn all the negative aspects from GT4 into positive. I am really excited about gt5 and whatever happens, happens, I will still buy 1080p HDTV and ps3 just because of it. So PD surprise us!! :dopey: Peace

Why would that make any differance we are doing it in GT4 now with the G25 and DFP. As for the G25 you can put the shifter on either side. One question here does all the DFP's have the shifter on the right or are they on the left on some models.I'm in USA. But it would look funny if the cockpit view show the driver left shifting while I was right shifting.

i meant for people with only DFP (which was only made for left hand drive ) and GT5 cockpit view (gt4 has no cockpit veiw)

I'm actually a bit scared of PD including cockpit view because it's possible that 1) It will take away from some other aspect of the game, or
2) It will result in the game taking extra months to be finished.

The game I have played with cockpit view is Rallisport Challenge 2. It is quite well done (although not graphically very detailed) but not nice to drive because your view is very restricted. I believe PGR3 has this. How well doe sit work & do people actually drive in cockpit view?

The central problem with in-car view is that in real life you have peripheral vision which gives you awareness of things at the "margins" of your vision. In a video game this is missing & to restrict your vision still further by being in-car is questionable IMO.

I always race in cockpit view when I'm racing a sim using my DFP. I agree with your comment about peripheral vision, but at the same time you have that same problem when racing with a bonnet or bumper cam, you don't have the same wide angle of vision you gett regardless of the view. When I think PD need to do is allow you to position your seat, like most PC sims allow you to, so you can raise and lower your seat, and move it forwards and backwards to get the best view to suit you.

There has to be damage in some form.

In Forza things like over-reving your engine or running over curbs recklessly will effect the condition & performance of your car, quite apart from smashing into things.

On one level there is the visual appeal of seeing things crash. :dopey: But even without this, a more realistic interaction of the cars with the environment & with other cars is absolutely essential - I would say that the lack of this is the single most important failing of GT4. Not only is there no damage, but there is no semblance of a realistic interaction between cars that make any sort of contact. This ruins tight races where there is always the temptation to bump & squeeze into a space that really shouldn't be there.

you don't have the same wide angle of vision you gett regardless of the view.

That's true - peripheral vision is the achilles heel of gaming. It's what makes it a poor imitation of real life. In Forza (with a controller) I always played in the behind car view because I felt it gave more awareness of things happening around my car which in the tight races was essential. In GT4 (with a wheel) I always play in hood view, because using a wheel behind the car makes no sense. I'm not that far into GT4 yet, but I think the driving is great (time attack), but the racing sucks. (See my previous post re: damage).

Long-time GT4 players (like you, Dave) how do you deal with the terrible AI & lack of damage?

And what does this have to do with the cockpit and dashboard view?
There are other threads for talking about damage and what not.

ontopic:
GTLegends has a good viewing angle, and it changes when you steer

and in GT4 you can press the left and right buttons on the dfp in bumper cam to look left and right. I would like it better if the motion was a bit slower though.

And what does this have to do with the cockpit and dashboard view?

Sorry but these are the posts that got us there:

cockpit FTW!

nah actually i prefere In-Car-View over damage. With the new handling GT5 will bring and the cockpit view driving will be even more realistic plus fun.

This is a good way to crash in my experience, except when on a long straight... when you don't really need to look to the side anyway.

and in GT4 you can press the left and right buttons on the dfp in bumper cam to look left and right. I would like it better if the motion was a bit slower though.

True about the crashing thing, that's why i want the view to slide gently to the right, not so abruptly as in GT4

Back