Cockpit for Fanatec - trying to avoid buyer's remorse

• Thread starter radiofrog
  • 5 comments
radiofrog
I've had a homebuilt racing rig for a few years now, but I just upgraded my gear to a Fanatec CS wheel V2, CS shifter, and CSR Elite pedals. So now I want a purpose-built cockpit. I've been shopping around, but I'm having a hard time deciding.

I'm looking for something between $500-1000 US, with good rigidity, preferably keyboard and monitor holders (1 monitor for now, probably 3 later), a comfortable seat for endurance racing, decent adjustability, and hopefully not too big a footprint.

So does anyone here have any warnings on any of these rigs that might help me eliminate them?
I hope this will also help others currently in the market for a US purchase.

These are the ones I'm considering (shipping is to the US; prices reflect added monitor/keyboard/shifter accessories where necessary):

Apiga AP1 (from HK)
- $??? (have to email for price)
Playseat Evolution
- $610 (free ship)
GTR Simulators GTA-F
- $725 (590 + 135 sh)
- 3-monitor mt.
RaceRoom RR3033
- $730 (free ship)
Volair
- $750 (600 + 150 sh)
- 3-monitor mt.
GT Omega Pro
- $800 (560 + 240 sh)
- +$60 more gets 3-monitor mt.
Sim-Seats SRX
- $800 (740 + 60 sh)
Obutto Revolution
- $893 (800 + 93 sh)
- +$130 more gets 3-monitor mt.
Carriage Works VRC 1000
- $945 (945 + ??? sh)
- no monitor mt., no kybd tray

I own an Obutto Revolution, and can absolutely say I have no regrets and would recommend it as a purpose-built rig. It's comfortable and stable for sure. There is only one other rig I could say I might prefer (Fast Track Sims TCR-1), but the Revolution is really good and I think it fills all the needs you outlined above.

The other bonus is the US distributor, Main Performance PC, has excellent customer service and Mr. Main answered my questions about shipping very quickly. It arrived all the way out to Hawaii without scratches or any other issues.

I hope that helps.

Every bit of info is helpful. Thanks!

While researching rigs I glanced at that Fast Track, then I quickly glanced away again when I saw the price. ;)

I've said it many times over the years, if you want strength, affordability and something that matches your uses and equipment perfectly then you can't really go past making your own custom one.

As long as you have somewhere to work and some tools then you'll be amazed at what you can come up with easily and for not a lot of money. I built this from scratch for probably $250 including the seat but excluding the pedals, wheel, monitors etc obviously.

IMG_20150102_192411_zpsovqkpywq.jpg

DSC_0021_zpshgdapatm.jpg

I've had a Playseat Evolution for about 6 years now. It's a great piece of kit which has brought me a lot of pleasure, but it does have a few issues.

1) The bar between your legs is a problem, but it's something that you can to get used to.

2) Some people find the seat incredibly uncomfortable, particularly on the lower back as there's no lumbar support. Easily fixed by buying a cheap add on lumbar support. I got a sporty looking one called a Type S from Passion Automotive, & now it's incredibly comfortable. I can spend 5 hours racing with no issues whatsoever.

3) It's advertized as being "fully adjustable" but that's not exactly true. For instance; you can't move the wheel up without also moving it forwards. You can't move the bar between your legs backwards with out moving the wheel either forwards or downwards. But once you figure it out you can get a good driving position.

4) It comes without a seat slider. If you buy the add on for it, the gear shifter will be lower than it's designed to be. Some people find that hard to live with.

5) If you adjust the seat for someone else, it will mark the metal quite badly as the tighteners are just metal screws against the metal frame. Also, the paint work ages badly & gets quite a nasty looking patina to it.

6) It has a 19 stone weight limit. Not a problem if you don't have fat friends!

I've learned to deal with the handful of minor problems it has. All in all I'm very pleased with it & would recommend it. It's a very cool looking piece of furniture too.

👍

Last edited:
Back