College Football 2007 - Week 10: Tricks and Treats (Oct 28 - Nov 3)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 20 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
We now have hit double-digit week numbers now. We begin with Week 10 on the road to Bowl Season as well as the Heisman race.

Introduction
College football has a real way of tricking you, but also treating you. Nothing like a trick play or some sort of gadget play in moving the chains and making scores. We are always treated to some of the nation's finest talent who come from high school to play college ball. No candy or fancy costumes here- just guys in shoulder pads and helmets. Trick or treat? Allow me to treat you with college football.

Last Week...

For Real
Connecticut overrated South Florida while Boston College stunned Virginia Tech in a tight fit. Connecticut may well be having their best season of football in FBS after many years in FCS.

Are Andre' Woodson's Heisman Hopes Dashed?
The Kentucky Wildcats lost in a blowout to the cupcake Mississippi State Bulldogs. Woodson had over 320+ passes without being picked off until the Florida Atlantic game earlier this year. But after a lot of turnovers in Mississippi State's favor as well as three picks thrown by Woodson, his Heisman hopes may well be done. The team can still bounce back as best as they can.

FBS Unbeatens Remaining
Here are your five remaining unbeatens:
* Boston College
* Ohio State
* Hawaii/Hawai'i
* Kansas
* Arizona State

(Some Of) the FCS Unbeatens
Meet some of your unbeatens in FCS:

* North Dakota State
* McNeese State
* Yale

One of the unbeatens that got beat was the University of San Diego as they lost on the road at Dayton. Pretty understandable that San Diego were playing with heavy hearts, but they still lost. I just never realized Yale had such a great team. Even including McNeese State. The Southland Conference is the best American South and Southeast conference.

Offensive Shootouts Yesterday
Thought the Boise State/Nevada game was a shootout? Well, two shootouts occured yesterday. Only Abeline Christian's game ended up in an upset win.

Trinity's Beating of Millsaps Made Popular
The Tigers of Trinity University (San Antonio, Texas) knocked off the Millsaps in a 28-24 shock job over the Majors. It was made popular by about 15 different laterals to win the game. Still, these lateral plays NEVER WORK!!! You can make them work. But if it seems that you can't put the team away without having to do this, then performing these lateral jobs are just a cheap way of saying "you win, just tackle us already." Basically a forfeit. I'm glad one of my own Texas schools pulled this off.

BCS Top 25 (as of 7:01 PM CDT)
01 - Ohio State!
02 - Boston College!
03 - Louisiana State
04 - Arizona State!
05 - Oregon

06 - Oklahoma
07 - West Virginia
08 - Kansas!
09 - Missouri
10 - Georgia

11 - Virginia Tech
12 - Michigan
13 - Connecticut
14 - Hawaii/Hawai'i!
15 - Texas
16 - Auburn
17 - Alabama
18 - South Florida
19 - Southern California
20 - Florida
21 - Wisconsin
22 - Boise State
23 - Virginia
24 - Wake Forest
25 - Clemson

! = unbeaten

--- Division 1: Bowl Subdivision Scores ---

This Game Requires Gold Membership
* UCF (Golden Knights) at Southern Mississippi (Golden Eagles)
It's college football time, folks! You were probably watching Sunday Night Football once this game was on tap. The Golden Knights of Central Florida made the Golden Eagles look like pyrite (fool's gold). (34-17; Central Florida)

(no FCS scores - starts Thursday)

(no Division 2 scores - starts Thursday)

(no Division 3 scores - starts ???)

NFL Focus
We begin with San Diego in trying to get relief from wildfires. Football won't help, but it will help unite this far southern California city.

Wildfire Relief Through Football
* Houston Texans at San Diego Chargers
San Diego County has seen some wildfires that have been the national news story all week. I know that we're an inferior team playing against a program trying to provide relief and happiness to their community. But this was inexcusable by the Texans. They could have done a much better job than the crap they shown against San Diego. I know San Diego is great, but we could have done a whole lot better. I'm still a fan, but they need to improve and improve NOW!!! (35-10; SAN DIEGO CHARGERS)

Can the Rams Finally Win?
* Cleveland Browns at St. Louis Rams
Cleveland and St. Louis were tied it at 17 at the Half. But, the losing woes continue for St. Louis. It may not be November yet, but this team may have to make the first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Rams get an off-week and will play the previously winless New Orleans Saints. The St. Louis Rams fail to record a "W" again since the Cleveland Browns made (27-20; Cleveland Browns)

A "Home" Game in a Land Far, Far Away
* New York Giants vs. Miami Dolphins --- Wembley Stadium; London, England ---
This game was on FOX Sports. Televise a game live from the United Kingdom, and it would be about 6PM in the U.K. when it's about 1:00 PM EDT. So it's Sunday Night Football for all the folks in the U.K. This game was part of a doubleheader for the NFL on FOX. The Rams are winless, and so are the Dolphins. So much for an overseas "home" game. (13-10; New York Giants)

MoTown Meets Chi-Town
* Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears (16-7; Detroit Lions)

Indianapolis Tries to Remain Unbeaten
* Indianapolis Colts at Carolina Panthers (31-7; Indianapolis Colts)

SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: (no Sunday Night game played (unless you count the nighttime "home" game between Miami and New York Giants))

--- John's Student Lounge ---
Welcome to the student lounge of GTPlanet University!

John Sounds Off! - Annoying Ads Rant
You've seen them in ads online. Take the "Emo" test. Take the "Punk" Test. What should you be for Halloween- costume test. And one of the ones indicating that such things go too far- a religion test. Even before then, this so-called "Dummy Test." Meaning... thank goodness for Firefox and the Adblock download for it. That is, unless you have to use public computers. People say that there could be litigation towards ad-blocking programs. Well, something needs to be done and done quickly.

As far as some of these dumb "tests" go, they're just as bad as those annoying surveys. You know, stuff like if George W. Bush is a good President or whatever. Or the one on if Britney Spears is a bad mother. The tests are just as annoying. Being on Myspace on a public computer can be completely annoying. I think I've seen all the games trying to offer me an iPod, some ringtones, finding out the name of my "secret crush," and bulls:censored: like that. Who wants to take a test to show if the one who takes a phony test is a dummy? A recent ad was saying that "75% of people failed the dumb test. Think you can pass?" Who wants to admit being an idiot, even if mentally retarded? Most of you know I'm not a rock music person, so I couldn't care less about being "emo." I'm not Goth or Punk, so screw those too. The one that shows me that these phony tests are too far out of hand is the recent Religion "test." Why must someone market a phony test online just to prove what religion you should believe in? I'm Christian. I may not know religion or is completely religious, but I don't need some online test telling me what religion I should or should not believe in. Simply put, something needs to be done to limit or eliminate such phony ads from never making it onto the Internet. But there are always people out there ready to make other people be annoyed or ticked off. That's a fact of life. People are always willing to sell you something that is perhaps pretty illegal or makes for you getting nothing valuable in return while these thieves run off and enjoy ripping you off. When in doubt... if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

If it's going to come down to litigation on ad blocking, maybe it all starts in getting rid of bogus ads before they even make it onto the Internet. Now sometime last week, I actually did an investigation as to just how these things work. It basically involves stealing personal information and basically screwing you to death (not literally) with all kinds of spam. I've even read some things online about how such ads usually involve high-volume websites like Myspace. Something I've done with my Myspace page is to avoid taking part in any sort of "test" or offer. No surveys on my page, no fancy Rock You! slideshows, I want to be able to see my page on a dial-up connection as much as I'd like to see in broadband. I'm cautious because I don't want to get hacked ever again. I've went ahead and required non-friends to do a CAPTCHA verification image. I'm just doing my part to avoid being a victim. Someone in my friends list is an example of what can happen if you get hacked like crazy. All I've seen from one of my Myspace buddies' profile is mostly a bunch of spam messages in comments. This was a person who basically got hacked and has not been on Myspace since April.

So please... some may be fun, but DO NOT mess with these bogus ads!
- end "Sound Off"

Got a USB-to-MIDI Cable for my Computer
I got a USB MIDI cable from Turtle Beach when I went to a Fry's store recently. Fry's is like a mall of electronics with all kinds of stuff. What's so special about this USB MIDI cable I got? It allows me to record MIDI music on my HP computer since it doesn't have MIDI recording capabilities. I usually alternate computers just to get to record MIDI. Now, I don't have to thanks to this cable interface I got. I am not trying to advertise. I'm just simply glad that I can still record music even if my newer home PC is unable to record MIDI. I even imported some songs I was working on to this computer I'm using at home. Great little cable.

If I Ever Get a New Music Keyboard...
...it would have to be a Yamaha. I have had three keyboards before by Casio. We had a Casio Rapman keyboard (yes, the pain) in the early 1990s. By the mid-1990s, I got a Casio CTK-500 keyboard. My current keyboard is a Casio CTK-671. The CTK-671 is the first MIDI-compatible keyboard I've ever owned. It isn't very fancy, but it's great to use. So you could say I'm a Casio man when it comes to keyboards. But if I ever get to own or get a new musical keyboard, I'd like for it to be a Yamaha. Reason why I mention Yamaha is because their XG MIDI-compatible keyboards deliver amazing sound quality. The XG MIDI system is (and probably still is) the finest MIDI interface anyone can use. I Think Yamaha keyboards are more expensive than Casio keyboards. The best one I'd go for would be a low-priced keyboard that has MIDI recording capabilties as well as being able to utilize the XG capabilities.

Finally Over - Red Sox Win it All
I didn't care for the World Series since my Astros did terrible. At least as a National League proponent, the Rockies failed to deliver a win. Just like the 2005 World Series between the Houston Astros and Chicago White Sox, a National League team got blanked through this series as the Red Sox escaped the Mile High City with the World Series crown. The MVP was Mike Lowell.

It's a new week of college football. Care to keep this train rolling?

A week off for me and my Cats. Thank God.

I'm going to go play Warhawk and GT5P Demo.

There won't be any football until about Thursday. So I simply want you all to talk about this season so far and what matches you're looking forward to seeing.

Something personal about today is that today would have been my biological father's birthday. I was seven when he died in 1990 to disease. So I never got to really know my biological father. This is a sad feeling for anyone who lost a member of their family in some way, especially those who loved their parents or family members. I still honor him in everything I do. I just hope he's looking down on me seeing that I've grown up quite well.

I may have some college football news in my next post. Otherwise... oh yeah, you can comment on the latest BCS standings if you like. Remember, this is YOUR thread. I just start these discussions. You make these threads shine. I'm just trying to host some college football discussions for you all. So feel free to comment. Maybe you want to ask me some questions about college football this season. Whatever sane you like to do for my threads, go right ahead. I'll respond when I get a chance.

Have a great Monday, everyone!

There won't be any football until about Thursday. So I simply want you all to talk about this season so far and what matches you're looking forward to seeing.

Something personal about today is that today would have been my biological father's birthday. I was seven when he died in 1990 to disease. So I never got to really know my biological father. This is a sad feeling for anyone who lost a member of their family in some way, especially those who loved their parents or family members. I still honor him in everything I do. I just hope he's looking down on me seeing that I've grown up quite well.

I may have some college football news in my next post. Otherwise... oh yeah, you can comment on the latest BCS standings if you like. Remember, this is YOUR thread. I just start these discussions. You make these threads shine. I'm just trying to host some college football discussions for you all. So feel free to comment. Maybe you want to ask me some questions about college football this season. Whatever sane you like to do for my threads, go right ahead. I'll respond when I get a chance.

Have a great Monday, everyone!
Sorry to hear about your father. While mine wasn't the greatest role model I still can't imagine not having had him around in my life. I wish you and your family the best. Do you all celebrate his birthday or use it as a mournful day to remember him? I've seen both done, so I was just curious how you all treat the day.

As for what I am looking forward to in football and the BCS standings. Well, I was looking forward to seeing Kentucky in a BCS bowl, but at this point it is iffy. Of course the SEC East is still up for grabs for practically anyone so Kentucky could still make it, but they will have to win out from this point on. Kentucky has shown that they can do it and they have also shown that they could lose every game. Kentucky will get a bowl game and I look forward to it but the hopes of a BCS bid are practically gone. I am sure all the polls are glad to not have to try and figure out what to do with Kentucky in the rankings now, but it sure was fun messing up the top ten for a while.

Rich Brooks said last night that anyone who wants a playoff situation in football should look at the SEC East as one right now as mathematically that is what it is playing out like. I am excited about the rest of the season because with our be week only one injured player isn't expected to make it back for our game at Vanderbilt.

GO CATS!!!

Kentucky's going to a Bowl Game. A BCS bowl will mean their return in a long while to a BCS Bowl game. Last BCS Bowl I probably remember hearing about was in 1950 and 1951. I believe they played against (now non-football school) Santa Clara then. Kentucky can still win the SEC East as long as all the others screw up while Kentucky picks up the scraps. So I'll have faith for your alma mater. Just something to think about during this Bye for them. By the way, Tennessee was supposed to be the SEC East powers. While I respect Tennessee, they lost bad to Alabama. The win over South Carolina gives the Volunteers some positive momentum. This season ain't over yet.

NOTE: On Saturday, November 17, 2007; I'll have to attend and be part of my brother's wedding. So I may not have a lot of scores to show off. In fact, what I may do is give you links to the sources I use for my score reports and allow you to comment on the games. I may not do my "Winners and Losers" that week like I normally do. You have all been forwarned at least two weeks from now.

Happy Halloween to all of you! None of you ever encountered any of your friends who look like true weirdos? Regardless, I don't think any games will happen today. So I just wanted to take this time to tell you about a website I found while doing nothing this morning.

I found this website called the College Football Reference. You can find it at: < http://cfreference.net/cfr >. It's basically a website where you can look up information on some of teams in college football's past. There's even references to FCS, Division 2, Division 3, and even NAIA schools. I'm going to check out some past college football teams as an example of what this site provides:

LINK EXAMPLES:
All of Michigan's Seasons: http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_all_school_seasons/25
The 1979 Houston Cougars: http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_school_season/1049?season=1979
All winners of the Sun Bowl: http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_all_bowl_games/47
The 1950 Kentucky Wildcats: http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_school_season/184?season=1950
Bowl Game History for the University of Southern California: http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_all_school_bowls/726

There are even some current non-football schools that have hosted football before. One of the finest college football schools no longer with us is Santa Clara University. You can check out their all-season history here: < http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_all_school_seasons/875 >, or you can check out the 1980 Santa Clara Broncos here: < http://cfreference.net/cfr/show_school_season/875?season=1980 >. I even did a search for North Dakota State University. NDSU is unbeaten right now, but they had a great season in 2000 when they finished 12-2. Then, NDSU were in Division 2.

One last tidbit about this site. I searched for Grand Valley State and Mount Union. I was checking for the last time these two schools lost a game. On November 27, 2004 at the University of North Dakota, North Dakota beat Grand Valley State 19-15. On October 22, 2005 at home against Ohio Northern, the Polar Bears of Ohio Northern beat the Mount Union Purple Raiders 21-14 as the last time they lost a game.

So why not check out this website I provided? Find out whatever you like about your favorite team in the year(s) they played. I may have a special for you all later tonight. Until then, have a great Halloween, everyone!

Is "Thundar" the new nickname for NDSU? Or is it still the Bison? I had something planned for Halloween, but chose not to. Just hope all of you have had a great holiday.

I checked out my Division 3 source, http://www.d3football.com . Seems like the final week of Division 3 football will be next week. Division 2 started off well before anyone else. So perhaps next season, I'll start the season with Division 2. I may label that as Week 1 as opposed to letting Week 1 be the week Division 1 starts off.

I'll have a preview of Thursday night's FBS match later on today. And next week on Sunday, I'll start the new week's thread with a Texas C-USA match as Southern Methodist of Dallas meets my hometown's finest team- the Cougars of the University of Houston.

Thundar is the name of our mascot. Apparently they replaced the E with an A to make it more Scandinavian.

Big wins, disappointing losses, upsets, and ownages. You want them? You got them, player! Welcome to the month of November. Or... you can just let these teams welcome you to the month of November.

A Tale of Two Techs in an A.T.L. Battle
* #11 Virginia Tech {Hokies} at Georgia Tech {Yellow Jackets}
I'd like to welcome you all to the month of November. How better to welcome a new month than to play some pigskin in Georgia? Not Athens... but another city in Georgia- Atlanta. One would think that as the NBA season was getting underway and as Atlanta (tries) to believe in the Hawks, there's a team you could really depend on in college sports. Unless, you are wishing Georgia State had a football team. It's VT at GT. Can the Hokies fly into Atlanta and take 'em down hard, or will the Yellow Jackets make VT ill on the football field? Atlanta say a little jersey controversy. It's a long story. Georgia Tech once beaten Cumberland College 222-0. Well, Virginia Tech looked like the Georgia Tech of old under John Heisman while today's G.T. looked like poor Cumberland College. Worse enough, they couldn't find the end zone. (27-3; #11 Virginia Tech) *** disappointing loss ***

(no FCS scores - starts Saturday)

--- Division 2 Scores ---

Division 2 Unbeatens so Far:
01 - Grand Valley State
02 - Chadron State
03 - Nebraska-Omaha
04 - West Texas A&M
05 - California University of Pennsylvania

Let's do college football, ladies and gentlemen!

Nebraska-Omaha's Final Piece of Revenge LoomsAl F. Canigula
* South Dakota {Coyotes} at #3 Nebraska-Omaha --- RIVALRY GAME ---
North Dakota State in FCS isn't the only Dakota school making an impact. NDSU's making waves in FCS, but one Dakota school is trying to make some waves by upsetting #3 Nebraska-Omaha in the final year of the North Central Conference. Most schools will jump to FCS while some others will move on to other D2 conferences. This is the final Division 2 showcase on CSTV. Let's meet one of the ones considering a move to FCS- South Dakota. The University of South Dakota knows they will have about THREE rivals if they jump to FCS for next season- North Dakota, South Dakota State, and High-Test's North Dakota State (I almost typed Notre Dame State! No such school). Anyhow, there's no doubt the Coyotes want to take Nebraska-Omaha to school. Let's meet Nebraska-Omaha. We had JNasty46G3 talk about Iowa as well as Nebraska-Omaha. Unlike South Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha will remain in Division 2 and play in the MIAA (Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Conference) next season or so. Nebraska-Omaha is maybe the best college football team in Omaha, NE since Crieghton University doesn't have football. The unbeaten Mavericks are going to give South Dakota the payback they deserve. We got a lovely night in Omaha, NE. The final Division 2 showcase game on CSTV. Let's do this! Nebraska-Omaha has won 9 of the last 10 meetings. If Nebraska-Omaha goes all the way (meaning winning every game) up to the National Championship game, I'd love to see them go against Grand Valley State (unless GVSU gets upset). The half ended as the Mavericks were tearing away at South Dakota 24-14. Nebraska-Omaha's having a date with destiny right about now. And they DO control their own destiny. Their hitlist is complete as they coast to a victory. This performance by Nebraska-Omaha sort of reminds me of the kind of payback Uma Thurman put on all of her enemies in "Kill Bill: Volume One." Only... no one got physically hurt. (41-14; #2 NEBRASKA-OMAHA)

* Slippery Rock at Lock Haven (27-11; Slippery Rock)
* Henderson State at Ouachita Baptist (18-0; Henderson State)

(no Division 3 games reported)

Something I Do on Transfer Day
My community college had Transfer Day this past Halloween. With some of the many schools in the house at the student lounge and elsewhere, I sometimes bring up college sports. For example... I mentioned how Northwestern State upset Iowa a few years ago in the Men's Division 1 March Madness Tournament. Something I didn't know was that West Texas A&M are undefeated. I knew McNeese State is unbeaten in FCS. This is a good thing about being a college sports fan. You get exposed to colleges and universities you may have otherwise never heard of. There was a school I never heard of before called the University of Texas-Permiean Basin. The last school I never heard of before on a Transfer Day was Capella University in Minneapolis. Yep. All the way from Minnesota to find some Texas boys and girls. Again... if you want to be exposed to colleges around the country, follow college sports. You'll never know what you'll find.

My GAME OF THE WEEK Selection Announced
GTPlanet, I have chosen LSU at Alabama as my GAME OF THE WEEK. It's Nick Saban playing at Alabama vs. his former team. We've seen some exciting finishes in the SEC this season, and I think this game could be right up there with the past SEC matches. Think about games like LSU's gutsy pass at home to beat Auburn, Auburn beating Florida twice with field goals, Kentucky shocking (then) #1 LSU in Triple Overtime, and stuff like that. So I'll try to check out CBS to see how this game unfolds.

There's action in FBS, Division 2, and Division 3 for Friday's scores. Check in to this thread for the latest scores and notes. Reply away, I'm done. When I do my Winners and Losers, I have a special OWNAGE OF THE WEEK to share with you all. So stay tuned this Saturday. Anyhow, take care and have a great day.

Michigan v. Michigan State tomorrow. I'm hoping Michigan does well and isn't embarassed by a team that more or less sucks this season. Final score? 29-17.

I was going to mention this, Joey D. Glad you brought it up. Michigan's been back to their winning ways. Thing is, now things get tough. Maybe Michigan and Michigan State will have that classic battle a few years ago that went into Triple Overtime. These are Michigan's two best schools... let 'em go at it! Turn 'em loose.

Tonight's FBS matches include Akron at Bowling Green and Nevada at New Mexico State. So we have some mid-major schools going at it tonight. I'll have these results including Division 2 and Division 3 action. Stay tuned for my next report!

Welcome to the first weekend of November 2007. Yeah, it's Friday. Still, it's college football time! So I'm going to give you college football fans what else? College football. Don't like it, go to some other thread. For all my loyalists, here's your Friday appetizers to make you ready for a crazy weekend of college football.

The Land of Enchantment Ready for a Huge Match Between Two Little Cities
* Nevada {Wolfpack} at New Mexico State {Aggies}
This is a wacky WAC match coming up. We are in the city of Las Cruces, New Mexico. Or if you know your Spanish, "Las Cruces" translates to "The Crosses." I once heard the story of those crosses, but I'm not at liberty to tell you all because I can't tell you well enough. Let's begin with NMSU. In talking about beautiful graduates from the respective schools, Kentucky has Ashley Judd; New Mexico State has Kristine Mirelle ( http://www.myspace.com/kristinemirelle1 and http://www.kristinemirelle.com ). This little school in Las Cruces, NM is in the state called the Land of Enchantment. If NMSU is the Land of Enchantment, then the Aggies' football team is cursed. New Mexico State falls to the wayside compared to their Albuquerque rivals at the University of New Mexico. Looking to tame these Aggies are a pack of dogs. The official name of Nevada is the University of Nevada at Reno. Reno, NV is known as the Biggest Little City in the World. I believe there isn't as much congestion and insanity in Reno like it is in Las Vegas. The Wolfpack are going to head into Las Cruces to perhaps slap on another "W" to their win-loss column. It was 20-10 in favor of Nevada through the First Half. Nevada pulled away until New Mexico State inched closer. In an offensive shootout, Nevada escapes (that's right) the wrath of cupcake New Mexico State. New Mexico State shanked a potential game-winning field goal. So Nevada gets it done in the closing moments. (40-38; Nevada)

Do you love the state of Ohio? Well, here are two MAC matchups out of the Buckeye State.

College Football... the Way Ohio Folk Like It
* Akron (Zips) at Bowling Green State {Falcons}
Welcome to the Bowling Green you're not familiar with. So to avoid confusion of the two cities, I will ALWAYS refer to BGSU as Bowling Green State. This is just try to limit confusion of talking about Bowling Green, KY. And Kentucky's Bowling Green is Hilltopper Country. And there are NO Hilltoppers in Bowling Green, OH. That's because this Bowling Green is Falcons' country. Let's meet the other school. The University of Akron is south southeast of Cleveland. It's about 30 miles SSE of greater Cleveland. Akron's home field is the Rubber Bowl. But the Zips are heading into Falcons' country looking for a big win. At 7:37 left in the Third Quarter, Bowling Green State led 38-6. This is a Falcon squad coming off of a massive loss in their game against Ohio. Akron attempted a comeback, but the rout was already complete. (44-20; BOWLING GREEN STATE)

Philadelphia's Most Pathetic Football Team Enters Ohio
* Temple {Owls} at Ohio {Bobcats}
Most pathetic football team in Philadelphia. Haters in the NFL would say the Philadelphia Eagles are down the tubes. Andy Reid's been in the news his sons are getting jail time. All the tumult in Philadelphia regarding football. And let's meet a team that's historically a cupcake year after year. The Temple Owls are ready to show me they aren't pathetic, so they picked a good opponent to do it against. The Bobcats of Ohio made doggone sure that Temple wouldn't win. (23-7; OHIO)

Poor Temple... cupcake year after year. If you've completely given up on Temple football, then there's one team that made you believe. The first OLD SCHOOL in a while. Check it out:

OLD SCHOOL: The 1979 Temple Owls
There's no reason to get excited about Temple football nowadays. They basically just play, get their asses kicked, rinse-lather-repeat. But there was one Temple team that Temple fans wished would come around again. In the 1979 season, Philadelphia's only FBS team managed to make incredible magic. They beat West Virginia AT WVU 38-16 on September 8, 1979. They'd beat down Drake 43-21 on September 15th and 31-14 at Delaware. Then they lost 10-9 to Pittsburgh. They were unbeaten in October with a 41-20 win at Rutgers, 49-17 to Syracuse, and 35-14 against Cincinatti. They started November off right by beating Hawaii 34-31 in America's 50th State. They came back to the Lower 48 to beat down Akron 42-6. Then they met a school called Pennsylvania State University, and the Nittany Lions eviscerated Temple 22-7. The season ended as Temple won 42-10 at Villanova. Their final AP ranking was #17. They made it out to the Garden State Bowl whereas they beat California 28-17. Three players were drafted to the NFL after this great season from Temple. Names include LB Mike Curcio to the Philadelphia Eagles, RB Mark Bright to the Indianapolis Colts, and WR Wiley Pitts to the Houston Oilers. I'm sure these three guys all wished EVERY season of Temple football was like the 1979 season. But you know what they say... you can't always get everything you want. Certainly sad news for Temple. When will Temple stop sucking and start winning... again?

Believe it or not, Temple actually played in the Sugar Bowl once. But that was before World War 2. So you could say they've stinked for a while.

EXTRA: A Little Announcement
For my look backs in college football, I've decided to add cfreference.net as one of my sources for college football information, especially in looking back at past teams and revisiting history. So I'll be sure to have a little cfreference.net info for you. Please visit < http://www.cfreference.net > as a source of looking back on college football teams past and present.

(no FCS matches - begins Saturday)
As a side story, Prairie View A&M will go to Arkansas to meet the Golden Lions of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. If the Panthers beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Prairie View A&M will have their first winning season of football since 1976. I'll have some Black college football action for you all with Saturday's games.

I have an extra regarding Grand Valley State in my Extras. But let's see what Division 2 schools played today or tonight.

* C.W. Post at Assumption (31-24; ASSUMPTION)
* Stonehill at Merrimack (24-14; Stonehill)
* Bryant at Southern Connecticut State (56-28; SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE)

--- Division 3 Scores ---
The magical world of Division 3. Let's get started!

* #18 Bethel at Augsburg (44-35; #18 Bethel)

* NOTE: There will be two Division 3 matches on November 4th between Bridgewater State at Massachusetts Maritime and Plymouth State at Salve Regina. I'll have those NEXT WEEK. Remember that each week of college football covers Sunday through Saturday of the week. Football weeks are traditionally Monday through Sunday. But if it's a game next calendar week, you'll see it next week and not the current week.

NOTE: PLYMOUTH STATE AT MASSACHUSETTS MARITIME POSTPONED - The match involving Bridgewater State at Massachusetts Maritime has been postponed until Sunday at Noon. The game between these two is usually known as the Cranberry Bowl. The reason for the postponement was the threat of high winds and heavy rain. Results of this game will be in next week's thread.

You're invited to my student lounge. So while you're studying at GTPlanet University, why not take a break and take a look at some extras that I have to share?

Something for Michigan State to Worry About?
I'll report this in my November 2007 basketball thread. Michigan State will host Michigan tomorrow. But if you believe in bad omens, here's one. In Double Overtime, Michigan State took on a team you may have heard of if you follow Division 2 football. Grand Valley State took down #8 Michigan State 85-82 at Michigan State. All Grand Valley State seems to do is win. We'll see how their football team will do this weekend. In addition, don't forget about the Battle for the Paul Bunyan Trophy between Michigan and Michigan State.

Just Not My Luck...
I very often miss seeing or listening to the Michigan/Ohio State game. I may be unable to see or hear the game... again. The Michigan/Ohio State match will be on November 17th- the day of my brother's wedding. And I'm not sure I can just put my portable radio in my pocket of my tuxedo and listen to the game while ceremonies are going on. I may be unable to cover Rivalry Week.

Wrestlemania XXIV Coming to the Citrus Bowl in March 2008
How about it? The Citrus Bowl is going to be the home of a Wrestlemania event. It will be the first-ever Wrestlemania in Florida. Maybe (Houston's own) The Undertaker could go 16-0 in Orlando.

Set Your Clocks Back One Hour this Saturday!
Daylight Saving Time will end this weekend for 2007. It's the 1:00 AM Central Time hour that I'm completing this report. Once DST ends for this year, it will be the Midnight/Medianoche hour. Most people think the United States (and others) should completely do away with Daylight Saving Time. This system was put into place to maximize daylight hours through the year. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 made certain that DST would begin on the 2nd Sunday in March and the first Sunday of November. This is a change from the 2006 DST period which ran between the 1st Sunday of April to the last Sunday of October. So keep aware of changing times. Maybe you could set your clocks once it's 1:00 AM or sometime after.

As many states as possible. As many games as possible. I'll try to cover the general landscape of college football for Saturday. Remember, I won't have EVERY game. That's not how I do things. I have to cover a lot of teams within a certain timeframe that I have. Unless I'm under the weather or get sick or tired, you can be assured my Saturday reports will be available before 6:00 AM (your local time) Sunday. So have a great Saturday of football. Again... my GAME OF THE WEEK involves LSU and Alabama. We've seen some great SEC finishes on ESPN. Will we have one on CBS like the LSU at Kentucky game? Find out this and more. And don't forget about a special "OWNAGE OF THE WEEK" nominee along with (here's a hint)whomever gets OWNAGE OF THE WEEK honors among collegiate teams. Take care, everyone! Enjoy the first Saturday of November! It's going to be a heck of a month of college football! Goodbye, everybody!

I nominate KU Jayhawks for ownage of the week. They put up 76 points against their neighbors to the north. Yes. KU just beat Nebraska by 37 points.

I'm uber happy after my boys in blue came from behind to beat Michigan State. I was actually worried their for a time, but I held out hopes they could pull it off.

This thread will finally be updated with long-delayed scores from Saturday. So please take a look and comment at will.

(taken from Saturday)

Daylight Saving Time ends this weekend. So set your clocks back. So how do you pass the time until you really need to set your clocks back? Why, with college football, of course! You got curiousity, I got scores. Read 'em, comment about 'em, and move on. A whole nation of college football is ready for action. So if you're ready like I've BEEN ready, then hop aboard! College football's in session.

SATURDAY SYNOPSIS - Week 9
Only five unbeatens in the FBS Division came into this weekend. Of them, two would fall. One in a close game and another in somewhat of a blowout. A few unbeatens were in action in FCS including North Dakota State, McNeese State, and Yale. Prairie View A&M could achieve their first winning season in 31 years if they beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Upsets were far and between in Division 2. However, some massive winning margins were obtained in Division 2 play. A lot of ranked teams saw some road wins take place. One of them was even a serious beating.

Nick Saban Love Triangle Comes to a Head in Tuscalossa
* #3 LSU {Tigers} at #17 Alabama {Crimson Tide} --- GAME OF THE WEEK ---
So this is how Week 9 will end. We got college football in good old SEC country. You can call it the Southeastern Conference. But to many others, it's the conference of college sports. It's the home of always competitive college sports. Doesn't matter if it's Auburn taking on Alabama in football, Kentucky taking on Florida in men's hoops, or LSU taking on Tennessee in women's hoops. The SEC IS college sports no matter what various other conferences think. So you want to see a game? Well, you got one! And oh boy... this could have upset written all over it. This one is for one of GTPlanet's moderators, Kent. The LSU Tigers held their ground and basically made the Crimson Tide look like low tide. (41-34; #3 Louisiana State)

A Pac-10 Showdown Ensues with Two Top 5 Teams
* #4 Arizona State {Sun Devils} at #5 Oregon {Ducks}
We are in Oregon as the city of Eugene prepares for a college football clash like no other. ESPN College Gameday was in the house as some fowl are ready for some action. With 13:09 left in the game, Oregon was blowing out Arizona State 35-16. This is a tough place to play at. California knocked off Oregon at Oregon, but the Ducks weren't going to allow Arizona State to finish unbeaten. (24-17; #5 OREGON) *** upset! ***

South Florida WAS For Real... Can They Make up Ground Again?
* Cincinatti {Bearcats} at #18 South Florida {Bulls}
South Florida were the darlings of college football. Trouble is, they've been on a recent slump. That slump continued late as the Bulls fell victim to the South Florida Bulls. (38-33; Cincinnati) *** upset! ***

43 Straight Games, 43 Straight Losses... Can Navy FINALLY Win?
* Navy {Midshipmen} at Notre Dame {Fighting Irish}
Notre Dame's been terrible. Notre Dame is having their worst season perhaps EVER. If Navy were unbeaten up to this point, a win over Navy would tide Notre Dame over. But let's see if they got that win. Because Notre Dame football is too good for any other network, the game was on NBC Sports. The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame either have no fight at all or been beaten down. How can you be a "fighting" team if you can't put up a good scrap against other teams? While Notre Dame figures this out, Navy will try and slap around Notre Dame some. Navy is no worse for wear either. I mean, they came off of a loss to... Delaware of all teams! I know Delaware is good, but the Blue Hens of Delaware basically ticked off Navy. So the Midshipmen of the United States Naval Academy will take their aggresisons out on Notre Dame. It took three overtimes, but Navy further embarassed Notre Dame. Disappointing loss? How about a big win? (46-44, 3OT; Navy) *** big win ***

DID YOU KNOW...
...that Notre Dame STILL has only one win this season? Perhaps the worst season of Notre Dame football in AGES!!!

Kansas Can't be Stopped! Maybe Nebraska Has an Answer or Two
* Nebraska {Cornhuskers} at Kansas {Jayhawks}
It was 48-24 at the half in favor of the Kansas Jayhawks. But after this loss, the Cornhuskers' humiliation is complete. (76-39; #8 KANSAS) *** disappointing loss ***

SIDE NOTE:
This is the most points given up by Nebraska since giving up 70 points to Texas Tech in 2000.

The Michigan College Football State Championship: Paul Bunyan's New Home Awaits
* #12 Michigan {Wolverines} at Michigan State {Spartans} --- RIVALRY GAME: Battle for the Paul Bunyan Trophy ---
Who does Michigan hate? Ohio State! Who else does Michigan hate? Look west- Michigan State. Michigan and Ohio State will scramble each others' brains in two weeks. For now, we got Michigan and Michigan State. This one's going out to Joey D. We begin with Michigan State. Michigan State University has been around for something of about 150 years. I'm sure Michigan State has hated Michigan for just about all of those years. The Spartans wear green just to show they're the true powers of the state of Michigan. A bad omen may be in play since Michigan State's men's basketball team lost an exhibition match against Division 2's Grand Valley State 85-82 in Double Overtime. Now let's meet Michigan. First off... SHAME ON YOU if you wrote off that Michigan were pathetic pieces of crap that can't win a game against Appalachian State or Oregon even if their lives depended on it. What's Michigan done since? Win. The Season-Changing Performance was when Michigan pimped slapped Notre Dame all the way back to South Bend 38-0. Since then, the Wolverines have been working like crazy to climb up the leaderboards. Now we have the match results. A match this big is too good for the Big Ten Network, so we got ESPN doing this game with the great voice of Brad Nessler. Along with Brad Nessler are Bob Griese and Paul McGuire. It seemed like a competitive game as I was somewhat watching this game on a TV screen at a Red Lobster restaurant. Michigan had the lead until Michigan State pulled ahead. Michigan has now won eight straight since their slow start against both Appalachian State and Oregon at home. Talk about being in the Driver's Seat! They can still win the Big Ten title if they run the table (which means, knocking off #1 Ohio State). How about your Wolverines, Joey D? (28-24; #1? Michigan)

--- BIG XII Texas Pack ---
All Texas Big XII teams comprise this pack of games. See how your favorite Texas Big XII school did.

Texas May be Stumbling, but Not When it Matters Most
* Texas {Longhorns} at Oklahoma State {Cowboys}
The Longhorns of Texas will plow their way into Stillwater, Oklahoma. Oklahoma State has plenty of Cowboys ready to defend home turf. Down 35-21 with 7:30 left in the game, Texas makes an incredible comeback and win on the foot of their field goal kicker. (38-35; #1? Texas) *** big win ***

Texas A&M Can Get Things Back Together by Downing Oklahoma
* Texas A&M {Aggies} at Oklahoma {Sooners}
I have a special friend at my community college who loves Texas A&M. Let me see if Texas A&M could put away
Oklahoma led 21-0 at the half over Texas A&M. The Aggies' disappointing continues as the Oklahoma Sooners cleaned house. This game was almost never in doubt. (42-14; #6 OKLAHOMA)

Two of Texas' Big XII Schools Battle In-State
* Texas Tech {Red Raiders} at Baylor {Bears}
Those boys from Lubbock are ready to rumble in Waco. It was Texas Tech's Red Raiders who embarassed Baylor's Bears. One would think Baylor is used to losing. So when will they freaking win for once? (38-7; Texas Tech)

-end Big XII Texas Pack

America's Largest and Most Popular Jesuit School Ready to Defend their #2 Rank
* Florida State {Seminoles} at #2 Boston College {Eagles}
Boston College is having their best season in years. Florida State wants to bring back to Earth. It was Duck Hunt" for the Seminoles as the Eagles were blasted out of the sky. (24-14; Florida State) *** upset! ***

Kansas Isn't the Only Basketball Power Doing Great in Football
* Rutgers {Scarlet Knights} at #16 Connecticut {Huskies}
Connecticut can probably brag with a 7-1 record heading into this game. While having swagger is good, the Connecticut Huskies can back it up quite well. Just ask the Scarlet Knights.[/B] (38-19; #16 CONNECTICUT) *** big win ***

More college football mayhem in a moment. But first, this extra:

EXTRA: Money Talks... Even in Upsets
You know an aspect of college sports you don't hear much about as far as winning and losing goes? I'm talking about one thing- money. Think about earlier this year when Appalachian State fired a shot heard 'round America when they beat Michigan at Michigan (I know Joey D doesn't want me to). The Mountaineers pocketed some huge paper when they knocked off Michigan on September 1st. According to the Wikipedia entry I was reading about this game, Michigan had earned about $50,000,000 in revenue from the 2005-2006 season. Appalachian State University earned themselves less than $5,000,000 for leaving the Big House in shock and awe. Or think about when Northwestern State stunned Iowa in men's basketball for March Madness a few years ago. I tell you- make an upset, and you could make your university or college filthy rich. I wish I had better figures to show you all the monetary impact of landing upsets.

And now... back to college football!

Rice Reels in a Big Fish
* UTEP {Miners} at Rice {Owls}
El Paso lost to one Houston team. Now, they get to meet another- Rice. While Rice isn't the better of the two Houston FBS schools, the Owls still hold their own ground as best as they can. The Miners of UTEP has lost to BOTH of Houston's FBS schools once this one was over. (56-48; RICE)

Broncos on a Stampede
* San Jose State {Spartans} at #22 Boise State {Broncos}
Saddle up, partner! We got some wild horses ready to go at it. The Boise State Broncos may not be so much the success story last saeson, but they still managed to whip San Jose State's Spartans. Crack that whip! Whip it good! SJSU got beat bad in this one. (42-7; #22 BOISE STATE)

Demons Look to Stun Their Neighbors to the East
* Northwestern State {Demons} at Mississippi {Rebels}
Call 'em Ole Miss. The Rebels didn't miss a beat against Northwestern State's Demons. (38-31; MISSISSIPPI)

Former Basketball Champions Collide in Chapel Hill
* Maryland {Terrapins} at North Carolina {Tar Heels}
North Carolina may be known as NASCAR country, but there's plenty of great basketball here as well. Nothing to be excited about in college football here. The mutli-time champions of basketball, North Carolina, are looking to inflict a Tar Heel beating. Looking to beat the tar out of the Tar Heels are the Maryland Terrapins. The 2002 Men's Basketball Champions didn't play like champions in this one. (16-13; NORTH CAROLINA) *** big win ***

Please visit: < http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/scoreboard/1A/2007/week10 > for more scores!

Let's start off with some HBCU football. Come and get your soul food!

--- Division 1: Championship Subdivision Scores ---
Come and get your HBCU love to start off this pack of FCS games! I'll only feature two games from black college football, then move on with other FCS scores.

Prairie View A&M Seeks First Winning Season Since 1976
* Prairie View A&M {Panthers} at Arkansas-Pine Bluff {Golden Lions}
Black College Football is in tap for you all. Prairie View A&M
(21-19; ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF)

Southern Battle- One from Louisiana Ready to Hit Texas Southern
* Southern {Jaguars} at Texas Southern {Tigers}
More soul food being cooked up in college football. Come get your Texas-style fix of college football! My future sister-in-law is a graduate of Southern. This school in Baton Rouge, LA will make their way out to meet Texas Southern. The Jaguars are ready to slap around Texas Southern a bit.
(56-7; Southern)

Now let's go around the nation and get as many games as possible.

Western Kentucky Returns to FCS Action for a Spell
* Western Kentucky {Hilltoppers} at Chatanooga {Mocs}
Western Kentucky is an FBS independent. But since this game is played at an FCS school, this will be in the FCS lineup. And in the end, Western Kentucky's Hilltoppers reminded Chatanooga's Mocs as to why WKU left FCS- lack of competition! ^_^ (28-21; Western Kentucky)

--- Dakota Double ---

North Dakota State Wants to Go 9-0... Wish Granted?
* Illinois State {Redbirds} at North Dakota State {Bison}
In Thundar we trust, huh? Well, the Redbirds got their feathers ruffled along with a serious case of a Bison Beatin'. (54-28; NORTH DAKOTA STATE)

The Other Dakota Keeps on Keeping On
* South Dakota State {Jackrabbits} at Central Arkansas {Bearcats}
All I know about South Dakota State is that they are the Jackrabbits and have a lovely blue and gold combination. Central Arkansas saw their Bearcats get smashed at home in a blowout. (38-10; South Dakota State)

So both Dakotas won today. Good job.

-end Dakota Double

Cheyney, Washington Wants to See a Beating
* Northern Colorado {Bears} at Eastern Washington {Eagles}
Only eastern Washington city I know is Spokane- home of the (non-football) Gonzaga Bulldogs. While this wasn't a beating, it was still an Eagles' win against the lowly Northern Colorado Bears. (17-7; EASTERN WASHINGTON)

Southeastern Louisiana Takes a Trip to San Marcos
* Southeastern Louisiana {Lions} at Texas State {Bobcats}
Texas State used to be known as Southwest Texas State University. It's a school with a nice fight song going up against SLU from Hammond, Louisiana. It was a fire fight, but Texas State's Bobcats made Southeast Lousiana's Lions go 2-7. (45-31; TEXAS STATE)

So we met one Louisiana school that... didn't do too well in Texas. Here's an established power trying to best some Texas competition:

McNeese State Doesn't Know What Losing is Like. Can Stephen F. Austin Teach Them?
* McNeese State {Cowboys} at Stephen F. Austin {Lumberjacks}
We stay in Texas and go to Nacodoches. The Lumberjacks of Stephen F. Austin State University are going to try to take down and rub out McNeese State. Unfortunately, the 'Jacks are 0-8 heading into this game. The direct opposite is McNeese State University, operating out of Lake Charles, LA. The Cowboys gave Stephen F. Austin a Lake Charles beatdown. (49-20; McNeese State)

Yale's On the Right Track for Sure
* Brown {Bears} at Yale {Bulldogs}
The Yale Bulldogs keep on winnins while the Brown Bears move to 3-5. (17-7; YALE)

Another Rhode Island School Tries to Win
Brown University is in the state of Rhode Island. The Rhode Island Rams are just trying to win at any price. Good for Rhode Island, they stunned Massachusetts in Overtime. This was more like a high-scoring baseball game than a football game as the Minutemen couldn't finish the job. (12-6, OT; RHODE ISLAND

For more scores, click here: < http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/scoreboard/1AA/2007/week10 >!

I gave you results of a few games from Division 2. Here are many more scores:

NOTE: Due to oversleeping, I'll go RAPID FIRE with these scores.

* #1 Grand Valley State {Lakers} at Saginaw Valley State (21-10; #1 Grand Valley State)
* St. Cloud State at #6 North Dakota {Fighting Sioux} (59-14; #6 NORTH DAKOTA)
* West Georgia at #9 North Alabama (65-17; #9 NORTH ALABAMA)
* Missouri-Rolla at Tiffin (73-30; TIFFIN) *** ownage ***
* Clark Atlanta at #15 Tuskegee (51-0; #15 TUSKEGEE)
* #19 Pittsburg State at Washburn (35-28; WASHBURN) *** upset! ***
* #7 California U.P. at #11 West Chester (30-14; #7 California University of Pennsylvania)
* #3 Chadron State at Western State (50-17; #3 Chadron Stae)
* #12 Carson-Newman at Wingate (58-27; #12 Carson-Newman)
* Indianapolis at Mercyhurst (43-37; Indianapolis)
* Colorado School of Mines {Orediggers} at Mesa State (18-0; MESA STATE)
* Bentley at Millersville (17-10; Bentley)
* LaGrange (Div. 3) at Kentucky Wesleyan (35-21; KENTUCKY WESLEYAN)
* Stillman at Kentucky State {Thorobreds} (65-30; Stillman)
* Shippenburg at #24 Indiana U.P. (30-0; #24 INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA)
* #16 Catawba at Brevard (56-21; #16 Catawba)
* #8 Valdosta State at Arkansas-Monticello (63-28; #8 Valdosta State)
* Wayne State (of Michigan) at #23 Ashland (63-42; #23 ASHLAND)

I'm sorry. I'm a Texas boy, and I HAVE to include some Texas schools! So...

* Texas A&M-Kingsville {Javelinas} at #17 Abilene Christian (59-31; #17 ABELINE CHRISTIAN)
* #18 Tarleton State at Angelo State (38-10; #18 Tarleton State)
* Central Oklahoma at #5 West Texas A&M {Buffaloes} (31-0; #5 WEST TEXAS A&M) <<< West Texas A&M is undefeated; school in Canyon, TX... a little south of Lubbock

--- Division 3 Scores ---
NOTE: Due to oversleeping, I'll go RAPID FIRE with these scores.

* #1 Mount Union {Purple Raiders} at John Caroll (53-0; #1 Mount Union)
* #2 Wisconsin-Whitewater at Wisconsin-Stout (26-10; #2 Wisconsin-Whitewater)
* East Texas Baptist at #6 Mary Hardin-Baylor (72-7; #6 MARY HARDIN-BAYLOR) *** ownage ***
* Carthage at #4 Wheaton (of IL) (35-27; Carthage) *** upset! ***
* #9 Washington and Jefferson at Thomas More (42-0; #9 Washington and Jefferson)
* #12 Linfield {Wildcats(?)} at Whitworth (10-6; WHITWORTH) *** upset! ***
* Centre at #14 Trinity (of TX) (34-6; #14 TRINITY UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS) <<< Trinity-TX came off of laterals to win at Millsaps; San Antonio school

* #15 The College of New Jersey at Buffalo State (27-14; #15 The College of New Jersey)
* #18 Bethel at Augsburg (44-35; #18 Bethel)
[COLOR"Magenta"]* #19 Alfred at Ithaca (42-25; ITHACA) *** upset! and disappointing loss ***
* Rochester at #20 Rennselaer Polytechnical (25-21; Rochester) *** upset! ***[/COLOR]
* #22 St. Olaf at Carleton (85-28; #22 St. Olaf) *** ownage ***
* Ferrum at North Carolina Wesleyan (24-17; NORTH CAROLINA WESLEYAN)
* Washington University {Bears} at Case Western Reserve {Spartans} (35-27; CASE WESTERN RESERVE)
* Coast Guard at Framington State (34-7; Coast Guard)

--- John's Winners and Losers ---
Please note that I almost NEVER release my Winners and Losers until I'm certain of all the games I've seen and from all the scores reported. It wouldn't make sense to note a team's big win when there was probably an even bigger win in another division of NCAA football. It's the reason why I don't include Sunday games. I stop at Saturday to give you the biggest and best. I don't release a Saturday post until I've tabulated all the different results I can find as well as knowing who beat who and by how much.

Saturday's action is done as is this week's action. So let's talk through who earned my respect and who earned my wrath. Winners and losers time. Get a big win. Fall on your face and look stupid. Beat a higher-ranked team. Beat down the other team with a huge margin of victory. You do these things, you make my list. So here we go. And remember, you can make your own comments over my selections. Make your own selections if you like. But here are mine, encompassing all divisions of NCAA football:

BIGGEST WIN(S) OF THE WEEK
(tie) Notre Dame's 43-Game Winning Streak over Navy
and Texas Pulls Back-to-Back Comeback Wins - Notre Dame beaten Navy for about 43 years. If you're 43 years old reading my report, Navy beat Notre Dame's asses when you were born or just after. Since then, Navy had no answer. But if Navy had to pick a time to cash in on beating a storied program, it's now. Texas came from behind to beat Nebraska at home. They pull another breakthrough at Oklahoma State. Don't write off Texas just yet in the Big XII South.

MOST DISAPPOINTING LOSS(ES) OF THE WEEK
Nebraska Shows Very Little Effort in Stopping Kansas
- As if Nebraska's woes aren't bad enough... Kansas basically handed Nebraska their bottoms. This was a pathetic show of trying to knock off a team that's traditionally a cupcake in football. I'm sorry... Kansas is good, but not great. I still await the Kansas/Missouri rivalry to determine the Big XII North. Only then will we see what Kansas is really made of. There's no disrespect from me regarding Kansas football. The Jayhawks are playing impressively well. Something just tells me Kansas is due to fall apart like South Florida is.

UPSET(S) OF THE WEEK (if any)
Florida State Racks Up a Huge Win at #2 Boston College
- Florida football has been a little uninteresting except if you're the University of Florida. Florida State pulled off one of their biggest wins of the season by taking out Boston College on the road. It's a tough place to play (as if Florida State isn't), and Florida State got it done.

OWNAGE(S) OF THE WEEK
(College) (tie) #6 Mary-Hardin Baylor Whacks East Texas Baptist
and #22 St. Olaf Pounds Carleton Into the Ground; (High School) Smith Center High School Sends Plainville to Purgatory in an 86-0 King-Size Rout -
I changed around the format of my OWNAGE OF THE WEEK section. But do check these out. I noted Kansas' beating of Nebraska as a disappointing loss. But to show that not all beatdowns occur in Division 1, these two Division 3 games show off some serious beatdowns. I was going to nominate #6 Mary Hardin-Baylor's beating of East Texas Baptist as the OWNAGE OF THE WEEK in terms of margin of victory. I usually go with margin of victory and not so much on how many points were put up. But then, #22 St. Olaf had their massive 85-point total over Carleton's 22 points. As for the High School match, Smith Center High School knocked off Plainsville High School in an 86-0 beatdown. The scariest thing about this game is that Smith Center H.S. put up 72 points in the first quarter alone. I used to be a student of Milby High School here in Houston. One of my former friends from Milby was the girlfriend of one player who scored about five or six touchdowns. So I know what a beatdown would be like when the score gets run up like crazy. It must be a serious loss if you come from a school called Plainsville and (no pun intended and no disrespect) plainly get beaten. Now for the Ownage honors:

East Texas Baptist = OWNED 72-7 by #6 Mary Hardin-Baylor,
Carleton = OWNED by #22 St. Olaf 85-28, and
Plainville H.S. = OWNED 86-0 by Smith Center H.S.!

So that was my special ownage for you all.

In the words of PTI's Michael Wilbon... "have a great weekend, knuckleheads!" Week 10 is on the way and will be appropriately titled for next week's action. The Week 10 thread will be called "You Decide." I made my decision already- I'm going to see you all next time to prepare for next week's action including SMU's visit to Houston Sunday night. So please take care, everyone!

I've got all of two weeks before I'll be in the stands at arrowhead, watching Kansas win. (Hopefully they'll win)

U of M I believe are Rose Bowl bound, I just seriously have my doubts with the Ohio State game. They have one hell of a team this year and I just don't know if Michigan is up for it. But big things happen in big games, even if Ohio State wins it won't be by more then a touchdown because Michigan will give them a run for their money.

Latest Posts

Back